peel session 92

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

The Dr
Known user

peel session 92

Post by The Dr »

“You're not Dostoevsky,' said the citizeness

'Well, who knows, who knows,' he replied.

'Dostoevsky's dead,' said the citizeness, but somehow not very confidently.

'I protest!' Behemoth exclaimed hotly. 'Dostoevsky is immortal!”
plastic37
Known user

Re: peel session 92

Post by plastic37 »

Oh yes,
the b side of the Medication 12" is possibly my favourite Sp disc.
I remember recording the session and it didn't really stand out against all the bootlegs i had from that time.
When the actual record came out it crept up on me. And soon took a hold.
I can't believe i have managed to keep it in such good condition. Must've played it 500/1000+ times.

I wish they'd done this one as a bside too.

In the 1980s this might have come out as a bootleg. Myabe a 2x7ich vinyl set available from various stalls on Camden/Kensington market.
Heavy Tourism
jmb066
Known user

Post by jmb066 »

Spiritualized are long over due for a Peel Sessions 2 disc set. House Of Love, Tindersticks, Pulp, Wedding Present, so many bands have released these albums and all are pretty good. Spiritualized definitely has enough sessions and material to release an album/2 disc set with their sessions.
Jason Burkett
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

That Peel session is one of my favourite things they ever recorded.

The horns on "Angel Sigh", just the whole "Feel So Sad", and the swell of guitar at the beginning and freakout at the end of "Smiles" are absolutlely brilliant.
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

there was a really high quality bundle of sessions from 92-98 that was posted here a while ago- i found it on my back up drive. could probably re-up if anyone wants it- there are something like 20+ songs including two versions of 'let it flow.'
jmb066
Known user

Post by jmb066 »

would love to hear it, please do.
Jason Burkett
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

i completely forgot about this- sorry for the delay-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ya8lv25cpywfg ... ssions.zip
coffeepotman
Known user

Post by coffeepotman »

Nice collection! Thanks for that upload!
pcpworldwide
New user

Post by pcpworldwide »

Great stuff! Many thanks.
ABOCA
Known user

Post by ABOCA »

Thanks a lot for those sessions. I already had the majority on the Radio Sessions bootleg but some of the additional tracks here are incredible. Things'll Never Be The Same blew me away and it was great to hear I Am What I Am & Cop Shoot Cop again. (Incidentally, was the whole 21 minute version of Cop Shoot Cop broadcast by the BBC?)

After, listening to these BBC sessions again, it made me dig out the BBC sessions from the Let It Come Down period, which originally came out as B sides and then on Complete Works 2, and I had almost forgotten how fantastic these sounded. I'm pretty sure that the three tracks that were released (On Fire / Do It all Over again / Come Together) were part of a much longer session, and I vaguely remember a few years ago being outbid on e-bay on a CD of six or seven tracks that were recorded for the BBC during this period. Does anybody know what these other tracks were or better still, does anybody have these?
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

There's more than three tracks from that BBC LICD session? I need to hear them too, I love those that have been released on the b-sides.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

I heard bits of the Steve Lamacq sessions in 2001 on air, but it was ruined by Lamacq's unnecessary talking over the end, no doubt enthusing about some shitty 'indie' band. I definitely recall there was at least one more track not released as a Let It Come Down b-side, but have no idea what it was.

The version of 'Come Together' from that session is stunning, and a real show of strength following the likes of 26$ (Come back dude!) who claimed post LAG Jason had lost his musical prowess.

Bullshit!

I think that was the first recordings with Doggen too. You can tell. Real heavy yet a beautiful psychedelic finesse. Mike Mooney never played like that.

As for the 1998 Breezeblock session - Mary-Anne Hobbs did indeed play the entire epic 'Cop Shoot Cop...' as it was recorded completely live, unlike the traditional BBC Sessions like the Lamacq thing - I stayed up late listening to that fuelled appropriately. It was incredible. The garage version of 'I Am What I Am' which preceded it was a real high.

I was so happy those recordings made it out in perfect quality in the end, as my tape of the session had worn thin, and an early tape transfer attempt I did was rubbish.

Mary-Anne ( :wink: ) also asked Jason at the end whether he wanted to hear a Dr. John track or something by Aphrodite.

Jason chose 'Woman That Rolls'. Awesome...

O P 8
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I remember the Steve Lamacq 2001 session well. I think Jason was still in his control freak phase as I distinctly remember Steve expressing amazement at how he had done all sorts of polishing and tinkering to the session after it was recorded.. also remember Steve interviewing J and saying that compared to other musicians, how he seemed so apart from the 'celeb ratrace'. Jason's response- "well, that suits me just fine"

I could be totally wrong but I think the other track played was Don't Just Do Something.
ABOCA
Known user

Post by ABOCA »

Thanks a lot you two for clarifying that, and hats off to Mary Ann Hobbs and the BBC for playing the whole 20+ minutes of Cop Shoot Cop as well.

I've done a bit of additional research and it appears that what I thought was a longer BBC session was in fact a XFM session. This old post from December 2003 reminded me of the CD I was outbid on a few years ago on ebay.

I'd still love to hear this!

by SpaceLine » Fri Dec 12, 2003 10:34 pm

Just put up another, this one is don't just do something from a live xfm session. It's with the 13 piece band that did the first LICD tour. If anyone has any info on when this took place I'd appreciate it. I know that it was recorded at Capitol's studios because the person who sent it to me got the recording from someone who worked there. Full tracklist:
Shine a light
Out of sight
Don't just do something
No God only religion
Take me to the other side.
on fire (with p & g intro)
Walking with Jesus
come Together.
good dope/good fun
Known user

Post by good dope/good fun »

shalloboi wrote:i completely forgot about this- sorry for the delay-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ya8lv25cpywfg ... ssions.zip
The Let It Flow and Things'll Never Be The Same from this are oh so sick.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I've got a couple of tracks from that xfm session- Shine a light and Don't Just Do Something. unfortunately the quality is pretty naff, like it was recorded from behind a cushion or something
Goodnightgoodnight
Known user

Post by Goodnightgoodnight »

Here's the XFM session - MP3, and the best quality i found is of the thing in two chunks. Quality still isn't amazing, sadly, but I still enjoy it - Walking With Jesus has this tremendous energy. Maybe due for a BZA remaster... :wink:

As consolation, I put in MP3's of their performance on Jools Holland from 2001 (On Fire & Out Of Sight) and them doing Stop Your Crying on Jay Leno in the folder as well.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/ram90 ... ession.rar
ABOCA
Known user

Post by ABOCA »

A massive thank you for putting this up so quickly. It's definitely a great session and the quality isn't too bad at all. The most noticeable flaw seems to be just after the intro of On Fire, where the volume seems to drop. A bit of a shame as that intro sounds even better than the BBC version, which is saying something. Great to hear a version of Take Me To the Other Side as well, as this song is always a major highlight for me whenever I hear Spiritualized play it.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

thanks so much for sharing the xfm session! gonna try and have a listen tonight