BJM - Revalation

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

toomilk
Known user

BJM - Revalation

Post by toomilk »

So, um, this is great.

I can't believe this hasn't been talked about more on this forum. Has anyone else picked it up? Beautiful colored vinyl, sounds amazing, lots of great songs. A TRUE return to form.

What does everyone else think?
semisynthetic
Known user

Re: BJM - Revelation

Post by semisynthetic »

toomilk wrote:So, um, this is great.
What does everyone else think?
Well, I think I'll order a copy and hear for myself. I like their packaging as a rule, anyway!
Last edited by semisynthetic on Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Everything is a Poison; it is the amount or degree that separates one Poison from another"
Paracelsus
spunder
Known user

Re: BJM - Revalation

Post by spunder »

enjoying it in the main....the lyrics to 'what you isnt' are great. tbh i think this, Aufheben and Who Killed Sgt Pepper have been a pretty top run of albums from him/ them and they have successfully removed the shackles of 'Dig'.
Kurious Oranj
Known user

Post by Kurious Oranj »

really like it

theres still a few "experimental" songs but some really great ones that hark back to their heyday in the 90s
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

It's been constantly delayed by Amazon. I have had at least 4 messages telling me my order has been put back - now they say it is July.

Where have people been buying it from?!
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

runcible wrote:It's been constantly delayed by Amazon. I have had at least 4 messages telling me my order has been put back - now they say it is July.

i could furnish you with a preview link untill your order arrives...?
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I listened to it prior to plopping down $40 for the vinyl. I really haven't liked much of their recent stuff. This one is really enjoyable. So I picked up this weekend and have been on a massive BJM binge all weekend. Particularly Strung Out In Heaven. I never realized just how good that record is.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

spunder wrote:
runcible wrote:It's been constantly delayed by Amazon. I have had at least 4 messages telling me my order has been put back - now they say it is July.

i could furnish you with a preview link untill your order arrives...?
I have loads of leaked tracks so I think I have the songs, but thank you. It's just odd that this release seems to have happened in 2 stages. It came out but many places didn't get it. I searched all over for a couple of weeks but nowhere has a physical copy as far as I can see.
spzranger
Known user

Post by spzranger »

Great album. Loved Aufheben but I think Revelation is even better. Really looking forward to the gig in Brighton although I realised the other day it will clash with England second round WC game if they manage to squeeze through in second place (which could well happen).
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

My wife bought this for Father's Day on behalf of our 18 month old. Still haven't had a chance to get past the first side of the first record, although I've liked what I've heard so far. Lovely packaging as usual.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

runcible wrote: Where have people been buying it from?!
I preordered mine from recordstore.co.uk

http://www.recordstore.co.uk/recordstor ... A930000000
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Aha - back in stock. They didn't have any last time I looked...
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

Got 1st pressing from Recordstore when nobody else had it, lovely product and cetrainly a return to form, no download code though.
'Remember, change is not good'
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

I've only had one listen and quite liked it, although the biscuit-tin drums and distorted vocals on the first track really annoyed me for some reason.
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

I've heard all the demos and have been hammering them for months but, like Runcible, I've yet to see an actual specimen. I keep checking Piccadilly site, nothing evident on there, and haven't seen an actual review of it.
has it been officially released yet?
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

KingHarry wrote:I've heard all the demos and have been hammering them for months but, like Runcible, I've yet to see an actual specimen. I keep checking Piccadilly site, nothing evident on there, and haven't seen an actual review of it.
has it been officially released yet?
I bought mine from Bob at Probe last week. He had a few copies too.
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

KingHarry wrote: and haven't seen an actual review of it.
some here:

http://www.metacritic.com/music/revelat ... n-massacre
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

i'm like runcible, still waiting for Amazon to sort it out. would have gone elsewhere but it was bought with a gift voucher.

thanks for the link. I'd forgotten about metacritic! very useful site.

looking forward to hearing this.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Had a listen yesterday in preparation for their Dublin gig in a few days time. Pretty good, certainly more instantly enjoyable than the last few albums.

The band sounded strong on the BBC Glastonbury footage too.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

I saw them last night in Glasgow. Sold out the abc. They were good, they played servo, when jokers attack, sailor and a few others I dig from the early years. Played a few off the new one too. I think they started at 8:00pm, which meant I (and probably most people) missed the start of the set. They were finished by 9:30.

Anton started bitching at Joel at one point, who then proceeded to exit the stage, but returned later. Something about him talking or disrupting whilst Anton was playing guitar. He called him unprofessional, then said it was was worse than what he himself was currently doing (slagging off his own band in front of a crowd). But he had plugged Joel's solo record and tour earlier in the night.

Overall, good but slightly muted vibe.
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

I thought they were great in nottingham on Friday, Anton had a bitch about tempo at one point, but the atmosphere was generally euphoric, great crowd, I led a Joel appreciation cheer and they played just shy of 2 hours.... Not the best time I've seen them but pretty bloody good all the same.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

Really enjoying the record, it is a better listen than the last few. But why no download code with the vinyl!? I thought they got this sussed by now.

Sadly I left it too later to get tickets and the Liverpool show is now sold out. grr,
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I think this album is excellent. Best since And This Is Our Music and captures that classic BJM jangly drone of old. That dancey number towards the end is dull but I like almost all the rest. Songs like What You Isn't and Days, Weeks and Moths are absolutely superb. Seems like the guy has well and truly found his mojo...

They play in Leeds on Friday but my last experiences at BJM shows have produced the most horrible audiences I can remember with everyone chucking pints all over the place. Plus it's at the Cockpit which is a total shit hole with nasty security and shit sound system. Some mates of mine saw The Dandies last week there and said it was very unpleasant - place stank of piss (yup - beyond belief) and when they got home they discovered they had been bitten by some sort of insects - sounds like the place is full of fleas! So I'm not going!
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

I can understand that reasoning.

I think I've only ever seen them once, a few years back when Will C was on base, and supporting. It was a good gig and I didn't notice any idiots there.

I've heard it said before plenty of times though, so it must be the case in some cities. I can't quite understand the way that a low key not well known drone band could attract such a lot of idiots. Maybe Dig somehow played its part.
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

I havent got the album yet, but heard in full whilst waiting in line at Norman Records on record store day. Sounded tremendous and the set they played at Glasto came over well on I player. You can tell he isnt drinking, he was half in tune and there was little or no bollocks being spoken by him. Im going on Thursday to Manchester, it has all the ingrediants for being either a) a wonderfull evening or b) shit due to all the reason stated above. I have seen both sides of this band so will not be suprised by either, I will state its never been an ok gig with a bit of A and B, they either fly or they suck big time, depends entirely on Anton.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

clewsr wrote:I've heard it said before plenty of times though, so it must be the case in some cities. I can't quite understand the way that a low key not well known drone band could attract such a lot of idiots. Maybe Dig somehow played its part.
Nail hit on the head. Dig has made lots of idiots turn up. But they always sell out Leeds. I have seen them play in Leeds and it's been Ok but I just don't want to chance it in a venue like the Cockpit which will be packed tight and the walls drip with sweat when it's like that. If it was the Brudenell I would be there in a flash.

The worst was seeing them in Manchester - every time more complete and utter twats than at any gigs I have ever been to.
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

I received a copy today, and I will be glad when I am able to hear it. I think their playing about with words and philosophies is interesting, (and I like it even when I am in "personal disagreement" with the imagery and so on). There was a point in time where I thought they had run their course, but perhaps this Album will dispel that notion.
"Everything is a Poison; it is the amount or degree that separates one Poison from another"
Paracelsus
stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham »

I see that Joel from the BJM has got a solo album out. The whole album is streaming:

http://ctkme.com/product-detail.asp?tit ... le-Bonkers

Sounds good to me!

Ste
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

They finished touring about 2 months ago?

Since then Anton has posted a full BJM EP on this youtube site, a 40 minute amalgam of various demos for his French Film Noir soundtrack and now a collection of 5-6 songs with Tess Parks on vocals.
I think the quality continues to spiral upwards.
Astonishing stuff really.
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

Why does he use youtube and not sound soundcloud? Strange
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

burningwheel wrote:Why does he use youtube and not sound soundcloud? Strange
I've asked myself that question while listening to shite music fron YouTube and have come up with two answers:
1. because it is Anton
2. because he knows that Youtwat annoys us all.......

Should we organise a poll?
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

Revelation is a great album and has totally grown on me over the year. I'll need to check the video ep