Ears and earplugs

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

James T
Known user

Ears and earplugs

Post by James T »

Well, it's been pretty much a week since I saw cosmic dead, and I still have the worst ear damage I have ever experienced. The volume was ridiculous, and I would condone such behaviour from a sound man. I also wouldn't ever go to a concert without earplugs again, unless it was like stars of the lid or some shit. I can not relax, can't listen to music, nothing... A loud low humming noise in my right ear, the more manageable ringing on my left. Bad headaches, dizzy the other night too. I'm fairly worried this won't pass.

Anyone had similar experiences?

Anyone recommend some good quality reusable earplugs?
shalloboi
Known user

Re: Ears and earplugs

Post by shalloboi »

i had an episode with my tinnitus the other night at work, which was pretty scary. the ringing in my right ear became so loud that i could barely hear anything out of it at all. i didn't have any pain or dizziness, but i couldn't hear very well even when i tried to focus on different sounds.

what i did to make it go away was i fashioned some earplugs from toilet paper and this allowed me to give my ears enough time to recover and they went back to normal. when your ears ring it just means that you need to give them enough time to recover from the damage they've incurred. it's very scary when it happens, though.
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

Tinnitus presents terrible symptoms! I once took Quinine while in a swampy area for obvious reasons; it made my head ring like the Bells of Saint Mary's! Plus, it gave credence to the Idiom "Bitter as Quinine" - yuck!
"Everything is a Poison; it is the amount or degree that separates one Poison from another"
Paracelsus
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

I haven't had anything that bad. I've been playing music and going to shows several times a week for at least 13 years, but I've almost always had earplugs in.

http://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Research ... ds=earlove

These are the ones I've been using. They're cheap and they don't muffle the sound too much. I have friends who have gone to ear doctors to get custom ones, which are supposed to be AMAZING, but much more expensive than the ones I use.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Everyone seems to recommend those ones, so I guess I will dig some out.

Last night I had NO NOISE all night. I did, though, put some ambient music on, eno and SOTL when I went to sleep as it eased the humming noise and helped to mask it. This morning, it isn't anywhere near as bad. I have had a couple of instances where it seemed better though only to come back. I think at work I will just put some earphones on with some sounds again so all the talking and shouting and typing and phone calls don't make it worse again. Will see how it goes..

Doctor said no appointments for a week.
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

I just bought myself some E20's the other day as well. I've not used them as yet but will be taking them along to any gig I go to in the future. I saw a band called Atomic Suplex a week ago and that left my ears ringing for a couple of days after. Plenty more of those gigs over the years, loads of them 10x worse, plus club nights next to overloaded speakers, sticking my head in the bass bin etc etc. I thought it was time I got some earplugs and these E20's seem to come out on top whenever the subject is raised on various forums. I'll sure be testing them out at Black Bananas later this year as I can only imagine that they'll be overloading the sound levels and I'm bound to be near the front.

Good luck with your ears y'all.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

That high pitched buzzing vibration you experience after being exposed to extremely loud volume of sound?

Scarily, that basically the last time you'll hear that particular frequency. Sure the buzzing will fade, but with it your ability to hear that particular sound vibration.

Essentially each time this happens its as if your inner treble function is being turned down slightly.

Early on it probably won't matter, but down the line cymbals might not splash the same or the higher parts of vocals might not be so clear...

Look after your ears y'all!
O P 8
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

I thought it had passed but last night it was back pretty clearly, although the TV did drown it out which wasn't possible previously as it was so prominent. The noise is actually very low in the ear I'm concerned about. I've had ringing in my other ear for as long as I can remember and have become very used to it to the point I only really notice when I go to bed and it isn't really enough to annoy or keep me awake.

I am using an earplug in the right ear today and the low rumbling seems only to be there when the ear is free from being plugged. I'm going to visit the walk in centre today, to see if they can do anything. Perhaps it is blocked after the show caused more wax buildup or something.

It is a worry right now, very annoying sound.
Gruff
Known user

Post by Gruff »

Dude, feel for you.

I became totally deaf in one ear once (which was scary as my father had had a brain tumor on his ear canal so I was obviously very rational and lept to the worst possible conclusion). Turns out it was the volume at a gig I had been too and was 'temporary deafness'. Doctors reckoned someink to do with wax-so had my fingers crossed for you.
When the hand points to the moon only the fool looks at the finger
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

The doctor said it will pass in a week or so, and that there is a lot of fluid in there at the moment. Relief. Still annoying me though.
scarecrowz
Known user

Post by scarecrowz »

http://www.hearforlife.co.uk/products.php?catId=1
or
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Alpine-MusicSaf ... O+Earplugs

I prefer the Alpines because of the ability to alter the amount of attenuation - I've not had to use more than the medium level and the low level filters have been fine for traditionally loud bands (NIne Inch Nails, Jim Jones Revue)
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I feel for you all on this too. sometimes when I've been to a particularly loud gig (or just happen to have been stood by the PA), the high pitched ringing that usually goes the next day, has stuck around for 2 days, 3 days, more.. then I get worried. I know that's nothing compared to the proper symptoms you get from tinnitus but it still brings it home..
I've heard different things but I gather that what will do the real damage is not just one insanely loud gig, but just a regular and prolonged exposure to loud noises (so if you go to gigs every week, or go on tour or something)

a few years back I also had a wax build up in my ears- I tried cotton buds to shift it but apparently this is the WRONG thing to do- it just compacts it down. I felt like I was underwater and totally detached from the world. when I finally kicked up a fuss and got them syringed, it felt like I had super hearing. again, seems pretty minor now but makes me realise how important your basic senses are to you.
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

i was reading sceintific american mind and there was an article about music and healing and aparently there is expierimental research into suring tinititus. thankfully i do not have it (any of the kinds) but if you do it may be worth finding the research or asking your doctor?
“You're not Dostoevsky,' said the citizeness

'Well, who knows, who knows,' he replied.

'Dostoevsky's dead,' said the citizeness, but somehow not very confidently.

'I protest!' Behemoth exclaimed hotly. 'Dostoevsky is immortal!”
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

BzaInSpace wrote:
Look after your ears y'all!

They're the only ones you've got!
gonna burn brightly
for a while