Philip Jeays

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

Gruff
Known user

Philip Jeays

Post by Gruff »

Not been on for ages, hello again, hope all well.

I have been meaning for years to get on here though and mention Philip Jeays-anybody out there know his stuff?

If not, I cannot recommend him highly enough. He is a singer/songwriter from Brighton who writes some of the greatest lyrics, in fact, I would go so far as suggesting he is my favorite current British lyricist.

How to describe him?

Well...

Firstly I'd start outright by saying he is an acquired taste. He was taught to sing by his mother who was an opera singer and so he has a certain operatic quality to his voice, particularly at times.

Secondly, he's funny. I wouldn't describe him as 'out and out' comedy songwriter. In fact, he certainly isn't. But, in a sort of modern day Jake Thackery sort of a way.

Thirdly, he's political, and angry.

So, combining those points I often describe him as (and I would imagine he would hate this): A British Bob Dylan with the humour of Randy Newman and the voice of the singing count from the muppets. But all in a good way.

Fourthly, he's a thoroughly decent bloke and after every gig he used to (he gave up live gigs at the end of 2012 after a series of Jaques Brel concerts) always be around and chat and generally crack jokes.

Fifthly, it is a shame he has given up the live dates as he is a brilliant performer.

Sixthly, he is brilliant, brilliant, at swearing.

See below!

...and if you are wondering who Geoff is, he wrote this (which I also think is brilliant):

When the hand points to the moon only the fool looks at the finger