hookworms- 'the hum'

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

shalloboi
Known user

hookworms- 'the hum'

Post by shalloboi »

new track streaming- 'on leaving'-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NM99mTEHdZY

i already pre-ordered mine- very nice looking package for a great price-

http://www.weirdworldrecordco.com/
angelsighs
Known user

Re: hookworms- 'the hum'

Post by angelsighs »

nice. quite krauty.
I'm not that excited about this for some reason- I think I burnt myself out on the first album by playing it a bit too much.

they are also doing a UK tour soon- all the usual places.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Probably will go to the gig in the Kazimier. I saw them play too much in and around the time of the first album so I'm not too bothered about the gig. I'll buy it at the gig if I go.
Last edited by olan on Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

HELL YES.

Ordered it already. "On Returning" was something that I must have played a million times this summer, "On Leaving" will doesn't immediately hit me the same way but still pretty rad. This news just made me so excited!

Also, holy shit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMKVl15-t7Y

(The Impasse)
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Just preordered as well. Sounds fucking incredible.
One Asian Under A Groove
Known user

Post by One Asian Under A Groove »

I was quite late to the party with Hookworms. Even though people posted about them on here and other reviews kept mentioning Spiritualized in reference to their sound. Anyway, I've caught up now and I cannot bloody wait for this album. Shame they're only playing the Simple Things festival in Glasgow - I would have preferred their own show. Next time...
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

another new song has been unveiled. I take back my previous indifference- this is good shit.

https://www.normanrecords.com/records/1 ... s-the-hum-
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

angelsighs wrote:another new song has been unveiled. I take back my previous indifference- this is good shit.

https://www.normanrecords.com/records/1 ... s-the-hum-
That latest track does it for me, sounds brilliant, as One Asian Under A Groove says, shame their only playing as part of a fest in Glasgow, at £20 and an overdose of electronica on the rest of the bill, I have neither the cash nor the inclination to make a day of it, still, albums ordered.
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

Fantastic...

Surprised no one has commented on this yet...

Similar structure to Pearl Mystic, and once again, the slower, more spaced out song at the end immediately strikes me as beautiful...
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

Indeed. I'm loving this album, and the bonus live cd that came with it via Rough Trade. Very impressive work.
SpacemanRob
Known user

Post by SpacemanRob »

This really is fantastic again. Together with the Vacant Lots albums of the year.

When bands such as War On Drugs are winning album of the year at Brighton record shops this reinforces your belief that great music can win out.

Bought it twice for the 7' single and live album. Amazing when i listened all day that Ride announced they were reforming and name checked SP3 on BBC 6 this morning. Steve Lamacq played Spz on his show. Sometimes everything falls in to place!

Can't think of a single reason why anyone a member on this board wouldn't love this.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

SpacemanRob wrote:
Can't think of a single reason why anyone a member on this board wouldn't love this.
I would be all over if I wasn't told by a member of the band in no uncertain terms I was too old. You couldn't have an internet forum disagreement without him getting upset, pulling the plug on posting here, and basically telling us to fuck off.
Otherwise I would give it a spin.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
runaway
Known user

Post by runaway »

I don't know what the big deal is about. Sounds like it's meant to sound like rehashed Spacemen 3.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

I really like the music, but the overly reverbed Minny-Mouse on laughing gass vocals just get on my Moobs......
SpacemanRob
Known user

Post by SpacemanRob »

Such negativity for such a great album?!

If sounding like SP3 is a bad thing then we are all on the wrong board :D (My first ever smiley!!)

If a somebody annoys you in a band/message board it has nothing to do with how much you love an album! Can you ever imagine if Lou had been inclined to post on a message board?

Vocals sound so great to me.

Really think after all these years we just listen to the music and it is fucking brilliant! It is a great album so please just listen.....
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Well, to be fair, I can't get into this band, either. I heard the single from the new album on the radio a few weeks ago and thought it was incredibly dull. I've tried to get into them in the past and I just can't.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

SpacemanRob wrote:Such negativity for such a great album?!
Actually Rob we championed this band from the start. Runcible was emailing some of us about just how amazing they were. I was heavily into them. Even taking it as far as to get signed copies to sell Stateside.
Then came a spat about the price of Loop ticket prices. All of a sudden 30 years of gig going, putting out records, helping bands tour, running a record shop, running record mail order even putting on shows meant nothing. Our opinions meant nothing. We were simply "too old" to get Hookworms or so were we told in so many words. Which is really amusing since much of their fanbase is "older".
I wish I could point you to the thread but the member of the band not only left the message board he wiped out the whole history of his posts.
In short I have no idea how good this record is or not. But I wont have my life experiences minimized by some 18 year old kid who has no fucking idea what is ahead of him.
It's too bad. The record is probably great and something I would like to own own but my integrity is getting in the way.
SpacemanRob
Known user

Post by SpacemanRob »

Hi Alan,

I have just finished reading the Lou Reed biography and am half-way through Barbed Wire Kisses the JAMC biography. If i only listened to music from people i really respected on a personal basis my record collection would be very different. Lou particularly at times was horrific with the wife beating etc.All of the drug, alcohol and general abuse is there.

I am not saying for 1 second The Hookworms are like this and actually i believe they are non-drinking vegans. Reading interviews and Twitter they seem brilliant at pointing out sexism, homophobia and racism.

Whether you like somones record is very different. Why not but it and see how good it is!

Cheers

SpacemenRob
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

SpacemanRob wrote:Hi Alan,

If i only listened to music from people i really respected on a personal basis my record collection would be very different.
Whether you like somones record is very different. Why not but it and see how good it is!
SpacemenRob
Unlike you I have a hard time separating personalities from music. I do make exceptions but this was personal.
I didn't like having my opinions marginalized like that. He teed up a zinger and I took the swing. He didn't like that and despite pms to persuade him to rethink about not only leaving but deleting his entire post history. Which we did.
Not a very grown up reaction.
The way I see it life is just too short and there are way more deserving bands of my attention and hard earned cash.
runaway
Known user

Post by runaway »

What was the username? This is getting juicy!
good dope/good fun
Known user

Post by good dope/good fun »

runaway wrote:What was the username? This is getting juicy!
Pretty sure that is/was MattBen.
Or something of the sorts.
I wasn't so into the album at 1st so much either.
But damn if I'm listening to it right now.
Offscreen is some shit right there done right.
runaway
Known user

Post by runaway »

Intriguing...
So many people have good things to say about this latest album, I'll have to give it another chance. Kind of put off by the annoying vocals, though.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I like the vocals. They sound different to your usual psych vocals and betray the band's hardcore punk roots.

It was kind of weird when he threw a hissy fit and deleted all his posts, after one (fairly minor) disagreement.

The "we only wanna be known by our initials" thing kinda annoys me, if I'm honest..
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

https://www.facebook.com/neil.lights?fref=nf

From the pot calling the kettle bland dept.
That tool Neil Eat Lights accusing a band of not being original. That is pretty funny from a tired old kraut rocker.
Far be it from me to stick up for Hookworms but this outburst is wrong on so many levels I am still shaking my head 20 minutes later. Not to mention they are infinitely more original than ELBL. Plus they dont rip off their fans.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

spzretent wrote:https://www.facebook.com/neil.lights?fref=nf

That tool Neil Eat Lights accusing a band of not being original. That is pretty funny from a tired old kraut rocker.
Far be it from me to stick up for Hookworms but this outburst is wrong on so many levels I am still shaking my head 20 minutes later. Not to mention they are infinitely more original than ELBL. Plus they dont rip off their fans.
Mouthing off like that just comes off as sour grapes/ professional jealousy or something, whatever, it isn`t a good look. TBH , The Hum isn`t pulling up any trees round here either at the moment, its okay/ good, but there`s a shit load of okay/good album`s around and only so much listening time, will still go and see them early next year though, never saw them before and heard good things, the Neil Eat Lights boy excluded,
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

What really perplexes me is how Neil thinks what he is doing is ground breaking or original. He obviously doesn't have a filter nor a clue.
Some posts better off not hitting send.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

niamhm wrote: The Hum isn`t pulling up any trees round here either at the moment, its okay/ good, but there`s a shit load of okay/good album`s around and only so much listening time.
And that sums up my feelings on probably the last ten years of music.

As for Neil's comments? Well, fairly ridiculous as ELBL aren't exactly breaking new ground.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
plastic37
Known user

Post by plastic37 »

niamhm wrote: spzretent wrote:https://www.facebook.com/neil.lights?fref=nf

Mouthing off like that just comes off as sour grapes/ professional jealousy or something, whatever, it isn`t a good look.
JUICY!

Some of you may remember an animated thread on the Spacemen 3 board concerning downloading. I have opened another window so i can quote Neil cos this is priceless and pertinent:
"They Transmit wrote:Thieving pricks, don't come complaing when there are no decent new bands coming through, "

That was in 2007 and i think many of us will agree that the scene is in rude health. There's certainly plenty to choose from even along side those who have all the gear and no idea.

Eat Lights and Hookworms have many positive and negative traits in common.
Heavy Tourism
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

More pearls of wisdom from our friend the hypocrite.

Neil Branquinho
56 mins ·

Wow, how many bands fit into the Spacemen3/BJTM mold now. Who buys these records? At some point someone obviously decided that psych = equal parts BJTM/Suicide/Spacemen3/A dash of the Velvets and left it at that. Fuck I'm so sick of this shit I'm going to live in a cave till it all blows over.

Well I buy these records and I fucking love them. I actually put some out too.
Enjoy your cave asshole.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

oops meant to be a PM
runaway
Known user

Post by runaway »

I dunno, I'd personally rather listen to ELBL than Hookworms or even Thee Oh Sees any day of the week. Shit is tired.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Figures.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

spzretent wrote:More pearls of wisdom from our friend the hypocrite.

Neil Branquinho
56 mins ·

Wow, how many bands fit into the Spacemen3/BJTM mold now. Who buys these records? At some point someone obviously decided that psych = equal parts BJTM/Suicide/Spacemen3/A dash of the Velvets and left it at that. Fuck I'm so sick of this shit I'm going to live in a cave till it all blows over.

Enjoy your cave asshole.
In fairness, he does have a point. Personally i find most of those bands listenable, fine etc. but there are very few that genuinely excite me.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

The world is full of records I dont like by people who have copped styles. Take a listen and if its not for you move on.
He is generalizing about the entire neo-psych genre. I quite like a lot of it.
People in glass houses....
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

spzretent wrote:More pearls of wisdom from our friend the hypocrite.

Neil Branquinho
56 mins ·

Enjoy your cave asshole.

That description fits The Vacant Lots album pretty well I think, but its one of my albums of the year, so, so fucking what?!! I like it an have listened and enjoyed it a lot this year , but I know what it is, and where they copped some moves from, don`t bother me, I like it and they do it well,

I think this guy Neil , who from what I gather does kraut rock based music , really should step back from the computer for a bit an stop spouting off, does he have a bee in his bunnet because Hookworms are getting some press and plaudits he thinks he deserves? that neo- psych analysis he did doesn`t really fit Hookworms at all,
SpacemanRob
Known user

Post by SpacemanRob »

Again not a huge fan of end of year polls etc.

But totally i have really enjoyed The Hookworms and The Vacant Lots. Really couldn't care a less about petty feuds on the board, lazy criticism from band members who are in truely un-interesting bands who were once on this board or anything else.

The Hookworms are fabulous on record and even better live. The Vacant Lots are more than derivative and their debut album demands repeat listening and again is great live.

Keep listening!
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

SpacemanRob wrote:Again not a huge fan of end of year polls etc.

But totally i have really enjoyed The Hookworms and The Vacant Lots. Really couldn't care a less about petty feuds on the board, lazy criticism from band members who are in truely un-interesting bands who were once on this board or anything else.

The Hookworms are fabulous on record and even better live. The Vacant Lots are more than derivative and their debut album demands repeat listening and again is great live.

Keep listening!
Agreed!

:)

M
Design.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

I'll just chime in and agree with what a majority of you are saying on here:

Hookworms aren't groundbreaking, but goddamn, the new record is great. I can't get over "The Impasse." It's been a long time since a single song has captured my attention like this. Whenever I put the record on (iPod and vinyl), I'll always repeat that song 3 or 4 times before moving on to the second track, which is stellar as well.

It's an all-out rocker. Lyrics dripping with venom with an explosive delivery. "Girl who are you dying for?" Fuck, I love it.
SpacemanRob
Known user

Post by SpacemanRob »

'Groundbreaking' is such an odd word in a musical context. I am on this board as i was so lucky to see Sp3 years ago and since then i have loved Spz.
Whilst both bands have been more important than any other to me i would still have to concede neither were necessarily 'groundbreaking'. It is the arguement that is impossible to conclude but i also love The Velvet Underground, Lightning Hopkins and Robert Johnson.
I do wonder on the board that we forget how exciting it was seeing a truely great band for the first time and how for life you remember that first single, album, (download), gig etc.

If 2014 was new to me i would love The Hookworms, Vacant Lots and others more than life itself. And then like all of us work our way back.

The Hum is a great album and so is The Vacant Lots - both are brilliant and if anyone mentions War On Drugs just despair at the most anonymous, boring, MOR, anodyne shit out there.