Creation 20+ years later

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

spzretent
Site Admin

Creation 20+ years later

Post by spzretent »

Odd how my taste has changed over the past 20+ years.
I started playing Ride a lot this week because of the reunion.
I used to adore the 1st three singles and Nowhere. Now I realize what a great record Going Blank Again is and is now my favorite Ride record. I maintain Leave Them All Behind may be their best song ever.
A few bands that dont really get mentioned much these days are Swervedriver, who's records still sound fantastic and are also touring. Teenage Fanclub who had some amazing records and House Of Love who occasionally get props here are probably my favorite of the entire Creation roster. I suppose anyone who has seen Upside Down now knows they didn't really fit but kept Creation alive until Screamadelica and then the Oasis explosion.
I still think the Telescopes Creation singles are amazing.
The one band I absolutely cant listen to now are Slowdive. IN MY OPINION they sound so dated to me. I loved them back when they were on Creation but now? Not so much.
It really is pretty amazing how much Creation released that meant so much to the enlightened music fan.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
niamhm
Known user

Re: Creation 20+ years later

Post by niamhm »

Creation ,McGhee/ the others involved deserve all the props. they get in my opinion, some of the finest music in my collection is thanks to that label, some of the lesser known stuff was really good as well, The Loft and Weather Prophets, Almost Prayed is a classic single, and those Telescopes records are very good as well,

I must agree with you about Slowdive, never done anything for me back then,

Going Blank Again? yep, its after that I feel they lost plot a bit, managed to snag some Ride tickets for next year, and just ready to go out and see JAMC tonight, so yes Creation Records still doing for me,

also not sure I would heard The Chills without that Creation compilation, and that would have been a crime,

wasn`t all great though, they didn`t half put out some shite, what was that electro- girl band thing they did? and McGhee`s hyperbole just became a cliché, still love that Meat Whiplash single though, incredible punk/garage racket,
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Oh yeah. I was kind of referring to the "Golden Era" late 80's early 90's. I have loads of old singles and totally agree about Almost Prayed. Biff Bang Pow- There Must Be A Better Life is pretty amazing too.
Some of the dance stuff they did was interesting. Hypnotone anyone?
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

of course, like any record label they did a lot of crap but the good stuff was tremendous. There was a kind of Creation aesthetic- a mixture of rock classicism, punk attitude and somewhat trippy guitars. everyone slags Oasis off now, but Definitely Maybe at least slots right in there.
as I've said elsewhere, everything Ride did up until GBA was pure gold.
Slowdive hasn't dated much for me at all, apart from maybe some of the B sides/remixes that were trying to be a bit acid housey. maybe Just for a Day is a bit too quintessentially shoegazing but I love it.
I know Psychocandy isn't a Creation album, but it kind of is an honoury one for me. another classic.

Teenage Fanclub- superb songwriters. part of me wishes they had stayed a bit grungy though and not cleaned those guitars up so much.

The House of Love- the jury is still out for me. some great songs that stand out, but not enough.

Primal Scream- patchy as hell.

yeah, McGees hyberbole is always to be taken with a pinch of salt. lets not forget the last band he championed were Glasvegas. and he said that Mogwai's Mr Beast was as good as Loveless.. weird!
Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon »

True that the first House Of Love album is pretty damn good. I also rate 'Copper Blue' by Sugar very highly too.
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

spzretent wrote:Oh yeah. I was kind of referring to the "Golden Era" late 80's early 90's. I have loads of old singles and totally agree about Almost Prayed. Biff Bang Pow- There Must Be A Better Life is pretty amazing too.
Some of the dance stuff they did was interesting. Hypnotone anyone?
Great shout! I love that Hypnotone track. I've got the 12" with the Ben Chapman remix on it, and the album 'Ai' too. I really liked that Creation dance compilation Keeping The Faith as well, which coincided with my own immersion into dance culture on the back of Screamadelica and the preceding singles. Great crossover era.

There was the Infonet label, an off-shoot of Creation, where they released music by the likes of Bandulu who were really great I thought, dub heavy techno and ambient passages. Loved all that. Plus there was Eruption Records too, another off-shoot where Creation was the parent company. I've a 12" on that label called Serious Mind Fuck which is a nice slab of Kris Needs related techno. He did some great mixes for Primal Scream around their GOBDGU era, with them in turn remixing his Delta Lady project and so on. Really interesting times where some of my favourite dance music was produced.

I've been playing the early Ride stuff since the reunion announcement as well. Listened to Going Blank Again at work last week and was surprised by how much I liked it. At the time it was Leave Them All Behind followed by an album of disappointment for me, especially after the early EP's and Nowhere. I hope Mark Gardener doesn't wear that hat when they get back on stage, you know the one, the one in the recent publicity pictures. It'll fall off when he's gazing at his shoes.
Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon »

There was loads if good Creation stuff.The 'My Magpie Eyes Are Hungry For The Prize' book gives some really good detail on its background as well as during and after.I've nearly finished Alan McGee's book 'Riots,Raves....' book too but prefer the former for its sheer detail.

Surprised there was no mention of 'Copper Blue' by Sugar here. As an aside, I also heard the excellent 'Primitive Painters' by Felt on BBC 6 Music recently. Strictly speaking I know that 'Ignite The Seven Cannons' was on Cherry Red but Felt we're on Creation.

I know I also made reference to Andrew Weatherall's remix of MBV's 'Soon' on the music in TV thread when it was on Top Gear. Still think it was another great slice of Creation doing a sideways move.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

My Magpie Eyes Are Hungry For The Prize is a great book. it's pretty big so plenty to get your teeth into (it's not your usual cut and paste rock book)

if we are talking hidden gems I am a big fan of Bernard Butler's first solo album which was on Creation. it's got some acoustic fingerpicking, some big pop anthems and a Neil Young type blowout.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Magpies for the Eyes, I probably read that 2-3 times easily. Well researched and documented. I mean you get information that you would probably never know, such as the eccentricities of Lawrence from Felt. Asking mates to use the loo down the street in the pub and eating only cheese and fruit. How McGee ' found ' Oasis on his own, etc.

Great labels back then including 4AD, Factory and Rough Trade. Thinking of 4AD no one ever mentions Cocteau Twins ?
I have about 3-4 of their albums and their great.

As for the shoegazer bands I always like Ride the best. Just recently played Slowdive and it really doesn't do it for me. The debut Mojave 3 " Ask Me Tomorrow " is brilliant. People been raving about Swervedriver, especially Mezcal Head and I just couldn't get into them nor Teenage Fanclub for some reason.
Ian
Known user

Post by Ian »

spacemanrich wrote:Magpies for the Eyes, I probably read that 2-3 times easily. Well researched and documented. I mean you get information that you would probably never know, such as the eccentricities of Lawrence from Felt. Asking mates to use the loo down the street in the pub and eating only cheese and fruit. How McGee ' found ' Oasis on his own, etc.
How about the revelation that Oasis weren't actually signed to Creation - they were signed to Sony worldwide, and licensed by Creation for the UK only. Not quite as indie as they might have been depicted...
I have a passion sweet Lord...
http://www.spacemen3.co.uk
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

No love for The Boo Radleys or Super Furry Animals then?

My Creation top three would be JAMC, Primal Scream and Ride. After that, MBV, Slowdive (only the e.p.'s, i thought the albums were boring), Boo Radleys, House Of Love, SFA. I liked 'The King' by Teenage Fanclub but nothing else they did. I'd also give a nod to Medicine.

I'd second the Meat Whiplash single too!
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
plastic37
Known user

Post by plastic37 »

this thread led me to do a search for The Jasmine Minks on the board. No mention.
Among the first 10 or so releases on the label they epitomise the 1960s revival aspect of Creation in that first flush. Chiming guitars, great bass tones, harmonies, ...pointy boots and tight black trousers. And they were Scottish. D'ya know what i mean? Totally cool for a 16 year old in 1988 watching 1960s cult TV reruns on overnight ITV broadcasts. That vibe was the best strand of Creation.

Standout Minks track is Cut Me Deep which you will find on the excellent Doing It For The Kids compilation. There have been several compilations recently but i have enjoyed picking up copies of lps for cheap on Discogs. I recommend The 1985 self titled record and Another Age.

They recently put out a rough but emotive song called You Broke More Than Just Your Mother's Heart. The title had me before I'd even heard it. I am sure i have heard the phrase elsewhere before.

Heavy Tourism
10ent
Known user

Post by 10ent »

Giant Steps by The Boo Radleys is still a great album and i always thought Grand Prix by Teenage Fanclub could/should have been massive but was released in January and was kind of lost.

Great run of Super Furries records too - great memories of climbing on their tank cum sound system at the Phoenix Festival in 95.

Also agree about the first Bernard Butler album - but of a hidden gem. Was the last Boo's album Kingsize on Creation too?
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Browsing my local bookshop today i noticed a reprint of My Magpie Eyes are Hungry For The Prize has just been released. Never read it so might have to grab this updated edition.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Sunray, you won't regret it. Very good read about the Creation label. Lot of good tidbits about various bands/musicians within the label, etc. Supposedly, their is/was a movie about Creation coming out w/ Danny Boyle directing ( Trainspotting fame ), but I haven't heard anything since ...
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

spacemanrich wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 5:15 pm Sunray, you won't regret it. Very good read about the Creation label. Lot of good tidbits about various bands/musicians within the label, etc. Supposedly, their is/was a movie about Creation coming out w/ Danny Boyle directing ( Trainspotting fame ), but I haven't heard anything since ...
The film 'Creation Stories' was released two years ago. It's a bit of fluff really but grand for passing 90 minutes. Just don't go in expecting anything amazing.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Huh ... just googled it and I got a reserved dvd copy from my local library. No wonder I didn't hear anything about it. I'll see and watch it for myself. Books are always better than the movie adaptations ( in most cases ). Cheers for the heads up !
MrBadger
Known user

Post by MrBadger »

I'm about 100 pages onto the book so far...the Mary Chain are just getting going. I found the early parts of the book which is about the music / indie scene in general rather than Creation / Alan McGee tough going but it's picking up now...
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Creation Records were the only label that really mattered to me at the turn of the 90s. They were such a revelation to me that i would have to say it was a huge turning point for me musically when i discovered the label. I still have the original tape that was given away with Select magazine, which introduced me to The Boo Radleys, The Telescopes, Slowdive, Swervedriver, et al and it blew my mind as a 15/16 year old kid. I very quickly found Creation as my new fav label. Still have loads of their promo postcards too from back in the day.

Still a lot of love for the Boo Radleys, probably up to the C'Mon Kids album. Everythings Alright Forever will always be one of my fav all time albums. "Paradise" is probably the song i'd chose as my funeral song. I have such a history with that album, and know it note-for-note in my head.
They had evolved way past their Dino Jr/Shoegaze era by the time Giant Steps and subsequent albums came along, but they could still write some great songs. Easily some of the best b-sides released during the 90s too.

I recall finding a copy of Songs For A Day in the local library around its release and borowed it for like a month. It was so different to what i had ben listening to and so dreamy, it became one of one early favs.

Swervedriver's Song Of Mustang Ford was on that Select tape too. That was a real eye opener. Burstin with enery and killer riffs. Probably the first band that really made me fall in love with way-wah'd guitar. They could apply it so well, and it just made them sound even better.

My first ever gig was Ride on teh GOing Blank Again tour. Will never forgot those opening bars of Leave Them All Behind kicking off in the Barras. I do have to say i really enjoyed all the Ride albums. The Stones-y Carnival Of Light is great and still shows they could right some great tunes, even with the loss of the noise they were known for. Still enjoy Tarantula too.

The Jazz Butcher was another who i really only foundout about via Creation. One of my friends picked up Cult Of The Basement (which is still bloody magic!). Their live album "Western Family" from around 93/94 still gets a lot of play around these parts.

For me, TFC were one of the most underrated bands on the label. Grand Prix is defo one of the finest albums of the 90s for me. The songwriting is just incredible. And them being hometown boys, meant they were always big favs. I still bump into Norman regularly around Bellshill. They should have been HUGE.

The Telescopes? Well they are still ripping it, both on record and live - live shows are still outrageously good! Stephen Lawrie hasn't sat still either. A variety of albums and styles, their back catalogue is quite extensive now. I don't think there is any Telescopes album that i don't enjoy... even some of the more experimental ones. The S/T album (debut for Creation) is still an absolute classic. Had a lot of great EPs out around then too.

And i can't possibly not mention the BMX Bandits. Love them or hate them, they will always have a place in my heart. Again, hometown boys, and very very twee at times, but i love Duglas' style and songs so much. Their simplicity, humour, and honest songs of love just warms my heart. They've had their up and down albums ove the years, but Life Goes On, Getting Dirty and Theme Park were a great run of albums from them.

I probably found myself covetting Creation less as the Oasis years rolled in, except for the bands above. Eventually Oasis took over and many bands were simply forgotten about/ditched, which is a shame. Great to see some of their roster still going strong tho, and winning over a whole new generation.

I'll need to seek out this book you mention. That sounds like an interesting read!
Ian
Known user

Post by Ian »

In the same way that Laz describes the label as mattering less after the arrival of Oasis, the same applies to Dave Cav's book. There's so much variety before them with stories coming from all over the place about so many acts, but once Oasis are established, most of it is about them. Understandable, and there wasn't any other way to do it, but it feels like the wild ride is over by that point. It is still an excellent book, and I'm glad it can be got again without having to pay collector's prices.
I have a passion sweet Lord...
http://www.spacemen3.co.uk
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Yes indeed Ian, Laz and those who resurrected this thread. This reminded me to get this book, and a copy (it’s pretty massive isn’t it) arrived last night here.

My ‘to be read’ pile is ridiculous, but this one will get read soon!
O P 8
Feedback Forever
Known user

Post by Feedback Forever »

I agree with the comments made above. Definitely a more interesting read before Oasis. Fond memories though of reading it while living in Salford in 2002. So much great music on Creation indeed :D
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Creation chuntering along releasing all manner of drivel, half way decent indie music and a few arguable classics through the 80s is no story, no one cares about that, okay, some of us old farts do, releasing some fantastic albums early 90’s made their name but apparently financially ruined them until they lucked upon Oasis, who then inexplicably take off, cross over to the mainstream and all manner of chaos ensues, if you think that story stopped getting interesting around 1994/5 I’m not sure what to say.
Last edited by niamhm on Tue Aug 15, 2023 10:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

How much is added? Enough that I should buy it again?
Ammuniti0n Train
Known user

Post by Ammuniti0n Train »

Laz69 wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 8:29 am

For me, TFC were one of the most underrated bands on the label. Grand Prix is defo one of the finest albums of the 90s for me. The songwriting is just incredible. And them being hometown boys, meant they were always big favs. I still bump into Norman regularly around Bellshill.
Their new album gets 4 stars from Tom Doyle in mojo
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

spzretent wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 1:24 am How much is added? Enough that I should buy it again?
Not sure if it's updated since the author died in 2018. Page count looks to be similar
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I have to defend Slowdive. I didn't see them live back in the 90s, but I have caught 3 reunion shows and they were all incredible. That band sounds absolutely massive live, which is not something I expected. Also, I think their first reunion record is excellent, so I am looking forward to the new one next month.

Super Furry Animals are also one of my all time favorite bands and I think they are underappreciated. Maybe they are just too weird for most listeners.