"And Nothing Hurt" - new Spiritualized® album 2018

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

selib
Known user

Re: New Spiritualized Album - 2018

Post by selib »

wow this sounded incredible
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I know it'll probably be up soon, but I'm still curious: can someone describe what it sounds like?
selib
Known user

Post by selib »

I thought it sounded like a conitnuation of the SHSL sound. Kinda warm and optimistic I'd say. I thought I heard some more classical rock and country influence.

idk im bad at describing things
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0b53c7v#play

@ 2:47

If you can access it. If not try a free VPN.

M
Design.
throb
Known user

Post by throb »

I'm in work and heard it via a film of a radio sent to me by a friend (!) (no DAB in the office, sadly) so please do ignore everything I'm about to say because it sounded REALLY tinny..

I definitely got a country vibe. It did have a "classic rock" ballad feel to it.

Did I like it?

Not so much.

Sure hope I'm going to be proved wrong but this was way too far down the Spiritualized Big Ballad road for me. Full confession time, LGM is by some distance my favourite album ever & pretty much all music since including the later Spz albums, hasn't measured up. So maybe I'm not best placed to comment.

But. I like the Spiritualized that took the best bits of "classic" rock/soul/doo-wop/whatever and messed with it a bit. From the albeit compromised way I listened to the track it struck me as too conventional. But what do I know?
SPZ outpatients - forum radio on LAST.FM
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

I'd agree that there was lots of the SHSL vibe about the song, but after one listen, I thought it had an extra little something that elevated it above the humdrum ballads of said record. It was the instrumentation and tricksy rhythm at the end of the verses, I think.
Vindaloo
Known user

Post by Vindaloo »

clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

selib
Known user

Post by selib »

sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Release date 7th September :evil: :roll:
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

That will be a Spiritualized 2pm then... :wink:
http://www.soundcloud.com/haarlemriots
Oasis22
New user

Post by Oasis22 »

I'm in the US should I pre-order from this UK record store site? Is this legit? I still see no official announcement from Spiritualized.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Perfect Miracle is gorgeous.
Finally! My spine is tingling again.

M
Screen Shot 2018-06-11 at 14.15.08.png
Screen Shot 2018-06-11 at 14.15.08.png (176.49 KiB) Viewed 20169 times
Design.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

only 9 songs, and the first half of the album is all ballads isn't it?

no Always Forgetting With You

largely recorded in Jason's home again. budgetary reasons more than anything I bet. spotify generation, this is your legacy!

I am still excited, no doubt about that.. about tour dates more than anything.
and some of the sonics of the little clips on twitter did sound really promising. maybe still ballads but with some interesting stuff going on in the arrangements.

I'm not anti ballad by any means. they just have to be good ones!
selib
Known user

Post by selib »

I saw that some tour dates were announced for london and for NYC. hoping there's a proper announcement soon...
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Don't know if anyone noticed the product No. of the album is BELLAVX800Hz. The morse code for the teasers and most likely parts of the album are in 800Hz frequency.

M
Design.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

angelsighs wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:23 pm only 9 songs, and the first half of the album is all ballads isn't it?
Pretty grim isn't it?

Not really liking the two released so far but they may grow over time. I'm Your Man needs to be more ragged and stoned to elevate itself, could do without the Noel Gallagher-esque solo in the middle too. There is a brief moment that reminds me of Dear Prudence though at the chorus.
Perfect Miracle just isn't my thing, too saccahrine.

Hardly the rush of hearing Hey Jane for the first time is it?
Last edited by sunray on Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Damn, these songs aren't yet available in the U.S. Can't wait to listen. Looks like the album clocks in at about 48 minutes. It doesn't bother me that there are only nine songs. The length is just about perfect for an album.
Last edited by TheWarmth on Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Not feeling this at all, I hope I'm wrong
sm-iom
Known user

Post by sm-iom »

Main website seems to be down. Official announcement imminent (overdue!)
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

sunray wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:45 pm
Not really liking the two released so far but they may grow over time. I'm Your Man needs to be more ragged and stoned to elevate itself, could do without the Noel Gallagher-esque solo in the middle too. There is a brief moment that reminds me of Dear Prudence though at the chorus.
Perfect Miracle just isn't my thing, too saccahrine.

Hardly the rush of hearing Hey Jane for the first time is it?
yeah that's a good way of putting it. I haven't heard the new songs yet (will do so tonight) but I think if he does ballads, he needs to go one a few ways rather than make it just a campfire strumalong kind of deal.

a) make it all ragged and loose like a Stones feel (Wild Horses or somesuch)
b) make it all droney and spacey in the arrangement
c) make it massive and epic (Stop Your Crying)

as I said above though, I'm not anti ballad per se. the ballads are still part of the picture for sure and I love the highs and lows the band can reach. The Velvets are the only other band I can think of which can do blistering noise but also really tender, stripped down ballads.

maybe it's an album of two halves and the second half is the noisier half? wishful thinking?
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Oh shit ... "I'm Your Man" is awesome. I love the horns and the vibe is different than anything he's ever done before, yet still familiar and very Spiritualized. I love the guitar solo. Sunray mentioned that it sounds like Noel Gallagher. Don't think I agree with that assessment. "A Perfect Miracle" sounds just about as expected, so I think it comes down to whether or not you like the song. I'm totally into these. The production is a step up from SHSL.
Last edited by TheWarmth on Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

angelsighs wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:18 pmmaybe it's an album of two halves and the second half is the noisier half? wishful thinking?
That’d be lovely.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Does anyone have dates for the NYC / London shows? Can't seem to find anywhere.

On the tracks... love them. Not sure what was expected but given their direction over recent years it's not a surprise to hear songs presented this way. Think PM is one of their best (of not the best) in years.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

ro wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:28 pm
angelsighs wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:18 pmmaybe it's an album of two halves and the second half is the noisier half? wishful thinking?
That’d be lovely.
yeah like a Rust Never Sleeps kinda thing? who knows.
Oasis22
New user

Post by Oasis22 »

Found this. Has tour dates. Only 3. http://www.undertheradarmag.com/news/sp ... nd_a_perf/
selib
Known user

Post by selib »

Barcelona, Madrid and Berlin November were also announced
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Which dates? Can't find them.... :D
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Who is handling promotion for Spiritualized? An intriguing ten day campaign for the first album in six years, website given a new look, social media busy and then they drop the ball.

Website down, social media inactive when it should be announcing the unveiling of two new songs. Plus information regarding the ordering of album and new tour dates coming in dribs and drabs from a variety of sources other than official ones. Fuck sake, drives me mad! :evil: :roll:
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

sunray wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:50 pm Who is handling promotion for Spiritualized? An intriguing ten day campaign for the first album in six years, website given a new look, social media busy and then they drop the ball.

Website down, social media inactive when it should be announcing the unveiling of two new songs. Plus information regarding the ordering of album and new tour dates coming in dribs and drabs from a variety of sources other than official ones. Fuck sake, drives me mad! :evil: :roll:
You expected proper promotion??? C'mon... this is Spiritualized we're talking about! I've been lowering my expectations for years...
:wink:
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Tour dates up on the site. Only one UK date....London on 21st Sept....and £45 a ticket!!! :shock:
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
tav falco
Known user

Post by tav falco »

Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Shinesalight wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:58 pm Tour dates up on the site. Only one UK date....London on 21st Sept....and £45 a ticket!!! :shock:
FUCKING HELL! Sorry, but recent material ain't that fuckin good! I'll wait and see if there is some normal shows nearby...
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

£45? Too rich for my blood especially as it will mean a stay in London. Is it a special show with strings and stuff?

The video is directed by Juliette Larthe so they must still be friends.

Other random observations.. Wonder which song is A Song? It better be there. My wild guess is that it's 'Damaged'

And the album title.. Isn't that from a quote? Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt?
throb
Known user

Post by throb »

throb wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:51 pm I'm in work and heard it via a film of a radio sent to me by a friend (!) (no DAB in the office, sadly) so please do ignore everything I'm about to say because it sounded REALLY tinny..

I definitely got a country vibe. It did have a "classic rock" ballad feel to it.

Did I like it?

Not so much.

Sure hope I'm going to be proved wrong but this was way too far down the Spiritualized Big Ballad road for me. Full confession time, LGM is by some distance my favourite album ever & pretty much all music since including the later Spz albums, hasn't measured up. So maybe I'm not best placed to comment.

But. I like the Spiritualized that took the best bits of "classic" rock/soul/doo-wop/whatever and messed with it a bit. From the albeit compromised way I listened to the track it struck me as too conventional. But what do I know?
Had a "proper" listen now. Nope, not for me. Could be any one of a thousand songs by any one of a thousand bands. What a disappointment.

This is honestly the first time I've been bored by Spiritualized. I'm used to mild disappointment, but boredom is worse!
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Laz69 wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:55 pm
sunray wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:50 pm Who is handling promotion for Spiritualized? An intriguing ten day campaign for the first album in six years, website given a new look, social media busy and then they drop the ball.

You expected proper promotion??? C'mon... this is Spiritualized we're talking about! I've been lowering my expectations for years...
:wink:
:lol: I know, I know. Normally i'd have no expectations but the past week or so made me think that it would all be plain sailing this time!
Anyways, site is up and running now and has a load of merch on sale. Over €31 for a shirt :shock:
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

throb wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:08 pm Could be any one of a thousand songs by any one of a thousand bands. What a disappointment.
I get that you don't like the songs. That's fine. But the sentence above is just wrong. This is clearly Spiritualized. It couldn't be any other band.
LunarTunes
Known user

Post by LunarTunes »

Well, as another whose favourite LP is LGM (by anyone, not just Spiritualized), I've long ago realized we're not getting another one of those. And yes, the ballads are more "traditional" ballads than, say, "You Know It's True". And the spacier side of things (my favourite element) has been stripped away over the years. But I still look forward to new Spiritualized music. And I think with "I'm Your Man" Jason has finally delivered the Spiritualized version of the 60s soul tracks we all know he loves. And I dig it.
throb
Known user

Post by throb »

TheWarmth wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:11 pm
throb wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:08 pm Could be any one of a thousand songs by any one of a thousand bands. What a disappointment.
I get that you don't like the songs. That's fine. But the sentence above is just wrong. This is clearly Spiritualized. It couldn't be any other band.
Badly worded - sorry. Yup, it's clearly Jason and there's nothing "wrong" with either song. Both are sturdy ballads.

It's probably more to do with me be a superannuated old fart these days rather than the impressionable teenager that heard LGM in 1992 but I remember being transported by that music. It sounded so familiar but also so totally alien to any other music I'd heard before. It was so exciting to hear. The new tracks don't do that for me. They're nice. But there's near equivalents on any of the last four albums.

I also recognise that I'm so invested in Spiritualized that my expectations are ridiculously high.

Utterly respect J's musical choices down through the years. I've enjoyed every album. I'll always turn out to see him/them live. The new album could well give me the feels. I really hope so.

I'm really glad that so many people are reacting positively to the new songs & I sincerely hope my moaning hasn't pissed on anyone's parade. I'm not your man!
wilder
New user

Post by wilder »

Video, at least to me, has some Paris, Texas feels to them.

I like both songs. I guess I don’t get the disappointment people have from album to album. Happy J is above ground, going mad making music, and releasing new music for us.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Listened to 6Music this morning and thought the song sounded a bit weak, thin and weedy. Later today I played the soundtrack to the video from the new webpage via usb through my stereo and, unsurprisingly, have a different reaction to it. I really quite like it . There is a power to the music I had completely missed and a very nice surge into the chorus. OK, it is not a classic, but, it is very obviously a decent Spiritualized tune. I'm now going to try to avoid all further leaks and tasters until I can play the LP as a whole at bowel quaking volume.

Speaking as a miserable sick old twat, I'm properly excited about this now!
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

FWIW, I like these two songs better than the initial singles from the past few albums: "Soul On Fire," "Stop Your Crying" and "Hey Jane". I can't recall what the first official single from Amazing Grace was, but that being my least favorite Spiritualized record, I'll happily take these new songs over anything from that album.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Listened to I'm Your Man a couple of times, not blown away but it's a good song. Definitely a Soul feel.

Vid dedicated to Kathleen Pierce. Jason's mum?

Is there anywhere I can listen to Perfect Miracle without having a Spotify account?
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

Any chance the album will be released digitally before September, and that the September date is purely for physical copies of the album?
throb
Known user

Post by throb »

TheWarmth wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:55 pm FWIW, I like these two songs better than the initial singles from the past few albums: "Soul On Fire," "Stop Your Crying" and "Hey Jane". I can't recall what the first official single from Amazing Grace was, but that being my least favorite Spiritualized record, I'll happily take these new songs over anything from that album.
Was it "She Kissed Me..."? Agree on Amazing Grace.

Hey Jane though. The "Sweet Heart/Sweet Light/Love of my life" repetition is worthy IMHO.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I agree, Throb. I really like the outro of "Hey Jane," too. Definitely the best part of the song.
herman
Known user

Post by herman »

I'm a man is A GREAT TRACK!! Totally love it! Great soul vibe there. J nailed it. Once again.
"Thank you"
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

olan wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:45 pm Listened to 6Music this morning and thought the song sounded a bit weak, thin and weedy. Later today I played the soundtrack to the video from the new webpage via usb through my stereo and, unsurprisingly, have a different reaction to it.
Have to say it sounds way better via the video than it does on Spotify. That guitar solo though, nope.
angelsighs wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:56 pm Is there anywhere I can listen to Perfect Miracle without having a Spotify account?
Just make up a fake email and password, that's what I did.
Martin L
Known user

Post by Martin L »

Anyone notice the side of the car? And Nothing Hurt JSSP.0003®
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Fuckin' A. Tough crowd.
Six years since the last LP. Finally we have a new Spiritualized album coming.
I love I'm Your Man. A bit beefier in the midsection. I love the video too.
Some of this thread is such a fucking downer. Jesus.
What do you want from Jason? He ain't going backwards. This is his art. These are his songs.

And yes, Jason has new management. They finally have a website. Things are moving the right direction.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

Spiritualized trending on Twitter! Never thought I'd see the day!
Attachments
Screenshot_20180611-185429.png
Screenshot_20180611-185429.png (402.29 KiB) Viewed 19591 times
Martin L
Known user

Post by Martin L »

Just been on the new website and ordered the new album and a lovely orange t-shirt. Good to see that they have some old t-shirts available to order as mine are getting a bit threadbare.
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

New Spiritualized album officially bigger than 'nam and Jurassic Park! Enjoying this parallel universe we're currently in.

Finding I'm Your Man and it's video quite poignant and moving.
Attachments
Screenshot_20180611-190237.png
Screenshot_20180611-190237.png (247.67 KiB) Viewed 19583 times
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

spzretent wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:56 pm Fuckin' A. Tough crowd.
What do you want from Jason? He ain't going backwards. This is his art. These are his songs.

And yes, Jason has new management. They finally have a website. Things are moving the right direction.
Amen -I love the new tracks - the country soul vibe of ‘I’m you man’ is great. The breakdown in the chorus is one of the greatest things he’s ever done - to me it feels like the song he’s been trying to write for a long time in that it’s so complete. Perfect Miracle as warmth has already said is exactly what it needed to be. The fact he’s recorded this at home is staggering. Welcome back.
http://www.soundcloud.com/haarlemriots
slide_song
Known user

Post by slide_song »

i spy the gram parsons memorial outside of room #8 on 29 palms ❤️❤️❤️
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

Why the spaceman theme again?
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

Always have been drawn to the signature poignant blend of tragic and (what I see as) kinda goofy-sweet. That recipe means a great deal to me, I can relate to it, and it’s partly what makes most of Spz music so powerful for me. If you’re gonna do a dulcimer, make sure you throw in a flugelhorn as well. I think that’s a good guide for life in general. That’s just how this video reads for me.
And much respect for the In Memory Of..

I did love the live & more raw version of I’m Your Man. I bet that grit and push might be more present when this is toured. Wish I could go and hear that live and loud!

Anyway, it’s so nice to see this in fruition.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

burningwheel wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:30 pm Why the spaceman theme again?
Really?. <---- period.
Design.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Oasis22 wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:14 pm I'm in the US should I pre-order from this UK record store site? Is this legit? I still see no official announcement from Spiritualized.
Fat Possum will release this in the US. I am certainly hoping the ltd package is avaiable too. Should be way cheaper than having it shipped from the UK.
ascension
Known user

Post by ascension »

Listened to these songs a couple times and feeling very underwhelmed, it just feels so safe and easy.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

How you can view parts of this thread as "such a fucking downer" is beyond me. It's just people expressing views, thoughts and opinions, all of which may or may not change and evolve over time. Eager folks sharing their initial reactions, nowt wrong with that in my eyes.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I ordered the deluxe vinyl box from spiritualized.com and was charged $8 for shipping, so it seems to me that that is where U.S. customers should order. Fat Possum appears to be handling the U.S. orders.
sm-iom
Known user

Post by sm-iom »

Whereas in the UK, I'm being quoted £9+ postage from the official site, half that from indie shops.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

sunray wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:43 pm

How you can view parts of this thread as "such a fucking downer" is beyond me. It's just people expressing views, thoughts and opinions, all of which may or may not change and evolve over time. Eager folks sharing their initial reactions, nowt wrong with that in my eyes.
Same rabbit hole we went down six years ago. Re: the Hey Jane video etc.

I have to think with how difficult it is for Jason to write, record, produce, and master his art he is probably emotionally spent right now.

On the off chance he comes here and reads this I cant imagine what must go through his mind. Two songs have been released. Both of which I love but that is besides the point.
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

Fair play to Jason that he managed to get this sound recording at home.

Good songs, the both of them. Progression from SHSL, which is decent to hear.

They're a bit safe though, aren't they?

I need to accept that I'm not going to get something as out there as LGM or PP from Jason again, don't I?
Ian
Known user

Post by Ian »

natty wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:46 pmI need to accept that I'm not going to get something as out there as LGM or PP from Jason again, don't I?
I think that some of us - me included - have to accept that the Spiritualized they fell in love with has been gone for some time and is never coming back. Doesn't mean that there isn't still things to enjoy about the current incarnation.
I have a passion sweet Lord...
http://www.spacemen3.co.uk