"And Nothing Hurt" - new Spiritualized® album 2018

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

MODLAB
Site Admin

Re: New Spiritualized Album - 2018

Post by MODLAB »

Ian wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:08 pm
natty wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:46 pmI need to accept that I'm not going to get something as out there as LGM or PP from Jason again, don't I?
I think that some of us - me included - have to accept that the Spiritualized they fell in love with has been gone for some time and is never coming back. Doesn't mean that there isn't still things to enjoy about the current incarnation.

Ian — I think there is some truth to it all. The first hit is always the best. ;)

M

PS: On another note. I really wonder how people feel when they listen to the back catalogue?
Design.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Even though I disagree with some who posted their opinions here there is nothing like an impending new release to get the juices flowing in this forum again.
Look at this activity!
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
throb
Known user

Post by throb »

spzretent wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:12 pm Even though I disagree with some who posted their opinions here there is nothing like an impending new release to get the juices flowing in this forum again.
Look at this activity!
Amen to that.

"We want to evoke strong reactions"

Spiritualized's Jason Pierce: 'We want to induce strong reactions'

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/ ... _clipboard
SPZ outpatients - forum radio on LAST.FM
throb
Known user

Post by throb »

natty wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:46 pmI need to accept that I'm not going to get something as out there as LGM or PP from Jason again, don't I?
I think that some of us - me included - have to accept that the Spiritualized they fell in love with has been gone for some time and is never coming back. Doesn't mean that there isn't still things to enjoy about the current incarnation.
Agree.
ericdbn
Known user

Post by ericdbn »

Not sure if anyone else has seen this - looks like the complete press release, including short descriptions of other songs on the album:

http://www.kingstheatre.com/calendar/spiritualized/

I'm solidly on team 'The New Songs Are Great!' Can't wait to see these fleshed out live, hopefully with strings, horns, choir, the whole nine yards.
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

Oasis22 wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:14 pm I'm in the US should I pre-order from this UK record store site? Is this legit? I still see no official announcement from Spiritualized.
This record store is legit and awesone
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

MODLAB wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:32 pm
burningwheel wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:30 pm Why the spaceman theme again?
Really?. <---- period.
Yeah really. :|
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

burningwheel wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:48 pm
MODLAB wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:32 pm
burningwheel wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:30 pm Why the spaceman theme again?
Really?. <---- period.
Yeah really. :|
It's his thing. Want him to come back as Alien?
Design.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

I love the new tracks. Excited for the new albums and the shows!

Not sure why some of you are so disappointed. It sounds like a real progression from SHSW, especially the instrumentation and changes in I'm Your Man.

Is your life the same as it was in 1990? Answer to the rhetorical question: No. And I don't expect the music to be either. I'm looking forward to surprises on the new record. :twisted:
Martin L
Known user

Post by Martin L »

Lets just count down the days to the new release, sit back, play it loud and enjoy
SpaceLine
Known user

Post by SpaceLine »

Ordered the deluxe lp from fat possum. Was $48 shipped. Not cheap but even if it is stuffed full of ballads it will still be worth every penny. This is the greatest band ever after all. I reserve the right to criticize it on this forum but even his worst records have some great tunes.

On the bright side, if he’s learned how to record music on his laptop he should be able to put out music more frequently. He probably won’t, but you never know.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

spzretent wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:12 pm Even though I disagree with some who posted their opinions here there is nothing like an impending new release to get the juices flowing in this forum again.
Look at this activity!
Yep :D
Given that there's such a long wait between albums it must be expected that we'll all have something to say on any brand new music that materialises. Unfortunately we've only got two songs to work with for the time being, that doesn't mean the doubters will dislike the new album. Some will always love everything Jason releases, some won't and others will be ambivalent. I think the same arguments/discussions have occurred for every release post L&G. Even before that, Pure Phase was viewed as a disappointment by many (myself included) when it was released, so go figure.
Correct. I finally reached that conclusion on the A&E Tour and that acceptance made my life a little more bearable :lol:
toomilk wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:36 pm
Is your life the same as it was in 1990? Answer to the rhetorical question: No. And I don't expect the music to be either.
I'm finding my tastes are getting harder and heavier in my advancing years as blandness seems to be on the increase in all genres of music, and life in general, and it's annoying the fuck out of me!
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
Multi
Known user

Post by Multi »

Sadly, I'm a bit disappointed.

The recordings sound good and much fuller and more interesting than SHSL, but from the track-listing, I've already heard and gotten to know most of the songs on the album--all this time and all we're getting is a 45 minute long 9 track album of songs written half a decade ago? If this is truly the end of SPZ's recorded output, he should be going out with a bang and just sonic assault everyone with a double/triple album involving all of the remaining scraps of ideas that we all know he has.

Either way, I predict that I'll listen and enjoy the new album on repeat for six months to a year, then go back to the live bootlegs where I belong.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Wow. Southern Fried Galactic Country Soul. Wasn't sure what to expect with the latest script but -perhaps inevitably - I love this stuff.

Exactly what I needed to hear right now (I'm also sure the album will kick out the heavy jams elsewhere).

Despite the supposed limitations of Spotify these 2 songs sound absolutely superb. The mixing and production is just.... yeah.

Those beautiful broken-hearted heartbreaking anti-love songs.

Will sound even better on a Sunday morning I think... although nothing really compares with hearing new Spiritualized®, especially after the last few months I've had :lol:

"...such a beautiful buzz...."

PS: Whoever mentioned 'Always Forgetting With You' having trite lyrics or something - have you actually heard the latter half of that song? The harmony lyrics are dark and twisted indeed...
O P 8
diesel_foxxy
Known user

Post by diesel_foxxy »

I absolutely love the new songs. Best band ever and can’t wait to see them again live. Crazy self purchased everything on the store. Why the fu&$ not. Favorite band and it’s only money. We want the spacemen to keep making music and doing live shows. Definitely going to Brooklyn; thinking about LA and maybe some international shows. I told myself that I would see as many shows this time around. What awesome news today. I understand that this is a forum but I don’t understand the negativity. Music today is mostly crap. What a treat we have to be true fans of a legendary band. For 30 years we have witness a revolution of perfectly orchestrated song structures which very few musicians accomplish. Get excited and hope to see many of you at the shows. Cheers.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Well, it's a new fucking Spiritualized record. Like I said before, he isn't going backwards.
Count me in as excited.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
suskind
Known user

Post by suskind »

Album title a reference to Slaughterhouse Five?

Anyways, very much excited for the new stuffs. Just ordered the deluxe LP :)
Stonedutch
Known user

Post by Stonedutch »

Lurking around the last few days listening to Morse code beeps after lurking around since the last album waiting for news of a new album, and can only say this is all very exciting! Last show I saw was at the Ace Hotel in L.A. and the next one will be at the Orpheum Theater in the same neighborhood (wondering when tix go on sale?!!!!). Listened to I'm Your Man five times in a row now, and have to say it's a glorious keeper with some great guitar playing. Need more time to digest, and in the meantime preordered vinyl. Good times are here again...finally! Hip hip hooray! :mrgreen:
"Where I stand is only three miles from space ..."
rameses
Known user

Post by rameses »

There's an indie shops only white vinyl too :D
It's nice to be liked,
But it's better by far to get paid.
Vancouver
Known user

Post by Vancouver »

Cool, the official store won't ship to Canada.
cantona
Known user

Post by cantona »

Sounds both intimate and epic at the same time. Now we just need a show in Denmark and a possibility to buy the new lp on Flac download.
asd2112
Known user

Post by asd2112 »

The two new songs are absolutely wonderful. Could just be that I would feel this away about any new material from Spiritualized but whatever. I'm digging them. Can't wait till September.

Anyone know what the Vevo livestream on their youtube channel is about?
selib
Known user

Post by selib »

BzaInSpace wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:08 am PS: Whoever mentioned 'Always Forgetting With You' having trite lyrics or something - have you actually heard the latter half of that song? The harmony lyrics are dark and twisted indeed...
Can you elaborate? I don't hear it..
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

Anyone spotted any 'easter eggs' in the video? I noticed the LICD artwork at the start of the video just before he packs the case.
BROKENHEART
Known user

Post by BROKENHEART »

Lots of mixed feelings on here. I really like I'm your man , need a few more listens to A perfect miracle.
I'm sure when early September arrives, hopefully opinions may change.
I look forward very much to receiving the new box set and live shows.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

BROKENHEART wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:35 am Lots of mixed feelings on here. I really like I'm your man , need a few more listens to A perfect miracle.
I'm sure when early September arrives, hopefully opinions may change.
I look forward very much to receiving the new box set and live shows.
I'm probably the other way round myself- I really like A Perfect Miracle- I always quite liked the song anyway but I also like the treatment he's given it. he mixes up the arrangement throughout the song. at the beginning it's just him on his lonesome, then when the strings choir kitchen sink come in it sounds pretty huge. the early versions sounded more like a Motown tune or something, this sounds more like a waltz, more like the Ladies & Gents title track?

I'm Your Man- solid enough but doing a bit less for me. people mentioned a little nod to Gram Parsons in the video, and when I look at it from that angle it makes more sense. definitely a country flavour in the verses but then the horns give it a soul feel.

I can understand why some of this stuff might be the last straw for the original Spacemen 3 heads but classic rock and soul has always been a part of the Spz stew as much as the drone workouts.

I'd echo people's views above that at the very least it's great to have the band back after so long and that the new tunes are getting everybody talking.

some of the new merch is quite nice no? morse code coaster anybody? :)
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

also.. this takes me back to the days of SHSL being released and the live airings of the new album in full. Leamington one night, then Royal Albert Hall the next. one night a stripped down rock band, one the full ensemble. good times.

again there were mixed opinions from various fans but it was great to have him putting the new stuff out there front and centre.

I think the RAH version of So Long You Pretty Things is the definite version. it's a song I have to be in the mood for (all the lord and jesus stuff can be a bit wearing, I'll admit) but it can be a cracker especially with the full strings..
plus it's the little things.. like how on the live version, they just let those piano notes hang in the air in the intro, and the little chord breakdown Doggen does before the big outro.. hopefully you know which bit I mean?

anyway, I digress..
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

BzaInSpace wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:08 am Wow. Southern Fried Galactic Country Soul.
Excellent Bza 8) For me though that's what I'm Your Man could've been rather than what it actually is. If it was looser, less concise and more damaged it would fit the above description perfectly.
angelsighs wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:11 am I'm probably the other way round myself- I really like A Perfect Miracle- I always quite liked the song anyway but I also like the treatment he's given it. he mixes up the arrangement throughout the song. at the beginning it's just him on his lonesome, then when the strings choir kitchen sink come in it sounds pretty huge. the early versions sounded more like a Motown tune or something, this sounds more like a waltz, more like the Ladies & Gents title track?
I said from the beginning it sounded like Ladies & Gents. Unfortunately I think I must be the only Spiritualized fan who's never liked that song so I just can't get with Perfect Miracle at all as I find them far too similar.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Ramble time...

Having listened to "I'm Your Man" multiple times last night i have to say its a grower for me. Its by no means terrible. The warm horns give it a nice soulful dimension, the southern-country guitar tone is nice too and reminds me a little of Kenny Tudrick's playing on his solo album, even in the solo. Definitely more impressed with this than i was initially with Hey Jane, so thats positive.

I think my issue (and it is MY issue, not the music's issue) is that there is just sooooo much interesting and dynamic and engaging music out there just now that i worry that, as one of my all time favourite bands, there is a real danger that Spiritualized gets a bit lost amongst it. And i'd HATE for that to happen as they deserve to be up there with what i would consider as the best of the music i listen to. I would never doubt the effort or talent or technical ability of Jason as he is meticulous and committed in all that he does, so i could never moan about the effort and work he puts into each album either or the time it takes for the albums to appear.

What i mean by this is that i'd say most of the music i listen to nowadays is at the heavier/droney end of the psych spectrum. Spiritualized were always a band i associated with that too but, as time has went on, they drifted from that to more traditional song structures and a reduction in the drones and freakouts that i traditionally associated with their more psychedelic/drug influenced output and those were aspects that i really loved about the band.

Bands/artists do this all the time. They mature, their influences change and evolve and its only natural that this will have an impact on their output. But as a fan and someone who grew up with his output in both Spacemen 3 and then Spiritualized, is it wrong for me to want to see a glimmer of what i initially loved about the bands and the artist? I don't think so. It would be wrong for me to demand it, but i think it would only be natural for me to want to experience those initial heady days of the early albums and shows.

The same happened with Teenage Fanclub a few years back. A band i will love and cherish until my last days but whose more recent material i have struggled with as i feel its just not given me what i need from music. I still go and see them live (and will later this year) as i will Spiritualized when they (hopefully) come to Glasgow, its just that it doesn't press all my buttons like some other music does right now and that makes me feel bad as i don't want to feel like this about my favourite bands.

I, for one, will definitely be sad if this is the end of Spiritualized. Not because the album feels like an anti-climax or anything like that, but because i know what he has given us over the band's lifetime and i doubt there are many artists out there who will ever come close to matching his output, both now and in the future. That and the fact that i will feel old!

Sorry for the ramble. All this activity and the new songs has obviously stuck a chord. Felt i had to explain my point of view better instead of just saying "Nope not for me!" :)
selib
Known user

Post by selib »

I think this is just the direction Spiritualized is going in currently.

If you look at the other stuff Jason has been affiliated with recently there's a lot of droney stuff. Like that Bee album or London Sessions
Jasonsmith
Known user

Post by Jasonsmith »

space monkey from the video t-shirt
https://www.redbubble.com/people/dudepa ... ?p=t-shirt
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

selib wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:32 am I think this is just the direction Spiritualized is going in currently.
I agree. He has done a lot of the free jazz, experimental or droney stuff on his own which may be where he wants to keep that, almost as a side project, allowing him to realise what he wants from the band aspect which Spiritualized gives him.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I think we should cool out for now and stop complaining about the fact that neither of the two new songs are droney or spaced out. There are still an additional 7 songs on the album and don't forget that "Always Forgetting With You" (the last official Spiritualized song prior to this release) features all of the classic old-school Spz vibes. What I'm saying is that it's still very possible that you'll get what you want from the rest of the album.
buttsjoc
New user

Post by buttsjoc »

It is very exciting to see all the activity on here again! It was a lot easier following the news on here than it was anywhere else so thanks to everyone that had a hand in that!

So far I'm most favorable to "I'm Your Man" and the video really helped drive home some of the feelings I was getting from it, particularly the Gram Parsons/Burrito Brothers vibe.

I'm a little mixed on "Perfect Miracle" as it was one of my favorite tunes when I heard it in its nascent form, particularly the Christmas Tree (?) session version. But after a few listens my initial shock at the production has waned a bit so I'm sure I'll come round in the end. Looking forward to the record and some more discussion around it! Real good to be talking Spiritualized again.
SpaceLine
Known user

Post by SpaceLine »

Was going to try and wait for September but I broke down and listened to I’m your man. Quite good. In particular I like the guitars and keys (keys especially after the solo). Typical vocals, I love them. Normally not a big fan of horns but they don’t dominate or bother me much.

I don’t get the Gram vibe myself, and I love me some grievous angel.
Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon »

Big difference in postage charges on the Spz store and the recordstore link included in this thread.....
Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon »

And the idea of the white vinyl sounds cool too. How many "collectors" formats are there going to be?? Were there pressing issues with the white vinyl SHSL? Was this also the case with the green vinyl Songs A&E?

Also seems such a shame that this could well be the last album - does Jason know how much love there still is out there for Spz?!

And I will VERY PROUDLY say I LOVE Spiritualized ballads!
Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon »

Dreamweapon wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:09 pm Big difference in postage charges on the Spz store and the recordstore link included in this thread.....
Therefore not really sure who is reliable to go with and when I should be reserving or whether I should go with a physical shop.....
sm-iom
Known user

Post by sm-iom »

Norman Records are free UK postage over £50, so you can go deluxe and add another record and come in at around £50
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Great News ! Both songs sound very good. Saw the two shows listed in N.Y. and L.A. in October. Hopefully, he'll add a date or two up in Northern California.
Luminescence
Known user

Post by Luminescence »

I really like both the new songs and think they are more than a little nod back to the AG, LICD era Spz+. I'm quite surprised with the mixed reactions that seem to have greeted the two songs, maybe people expect too much from Spaceman?

I also like the whole promo and Spaceman theme and can't wait for the album & tour.
Hey Jayne
ascension
Known user

Post by ascension »

Luminescence wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:07 pm I really like both the new songs and think they are more than a little nod back to the AG, LICD era Spz+. I'm quite surprised with the mixed reactions that seem to have greeted the two songs, maybe people expect too much from Spaceman?
I don't think people expect too much, or necessarily expect him to recreate LGM part 2, but him going even deeper into this very generic and safe classic-rock vibe is a huge letdown.
throb
Known user

Post by throb »

Okay, I'm a few listens in.

The production is nice and warm. Definitely a step up from SHSL. I hear hints of farfisa drone buried in "I'm your man". Maybe...

I'm also quite drunk... :/
throb
Known user

Post by throb »

throb wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:51 pm Okay, I'm a few listens in.

The production is nice and warm. Definitely a step up from SHSL. I hear hints of farfisa drone buried in "I'm your man". Maybe...

I'm also quite drunk... :/
"Perfect Miracle" is LAGWAFIS all over again though
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Anyone got a voucher code for the spiritualized.com store?
walkman
New user

Post by walkman »

hmm,.,. in the video to i'm your man, spaceman opens the third letter box, letter box number 3. it's a clear reference to the past. is he looking for messages from the past? using morse code, a communication tool from the past, to talk to the past, looking for a connection to the past? is this,.,.. a not so subliminal yearning to reform spacemen 3?
Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon »

In between stuff at work when I'm not on the phone I've been listening to these two tracks on constant repeat, and can genuinely say I really love them.

Disappointed that there only appears to be 9 tracks on the forthcoming album, but I'll happily take 9 over none!
rameses
Known user

Post by rameses »

Dreamweapon wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:47 am

Disappointed that there only appears to be 9 tracks on the forthcoming album, but I'll happily take 9 over none!
Hopefully one is a 20 minute long wig out!
It's nice to be liked,
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

rameses wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:40 am
Dreamweapon wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:47 am

Hopefully one is a 20 minute long wig out!
Track listing with times is a few pages back I think? Modlab posted it. all under 10 mins
http://www.soundcloud.com/haarlemriots
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

Not sure what to make of all this. The production on these 2 tracks is very nice. It certainly introduces dynamic elements that were not present in any of the live versions we heard.

On the other hand, it all sounds a bit "safe". Perfect Miracle has lost the dramatic 7th on the 4th beat of the descending melody that was introduced on some of the later live versions. The guitar solo on I'm Your Man is awfully Noel Gallagher-esque, though overall I think the production really scrubs that song up as well as could be expected.

The video is nice, but after the epic visual drama of Hey Jane it was going to be hard to push that particular envelope.

9 tracks clocking in at 45 minutes seems rather quaint these days, but hopefully it means pared back quality over quantity! Seems like the best thing is to hope the style gets mixed up a bit, over the course of the subsequent 7 tracks.

Am surprised the physical product is not coming out until September. The amount of momentum created by the recent activity seemed remarkably effective, with the trademarked understated Spaceman flourish ... all ending with a bit of an anti-climax. It would have been nice to at least have some UK tour dates announced.

I guess it's easy to get hopes up then come down all negative. I'm enjoying the 2 new songs more than I expected. Fingers crossed for the rest of the album!
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

mojo filters wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:12 pm Am surprised the physical product is not coming out until September. The amount of momentum created by the recent activity seemed remarkably effective, with the trademarked understated Spaceman flourish ... all ending with a bit of an anti-climax. It would have been nice to at least have some UK tour dates announced.
I think the momentum would have been much better served by offering up the album immediately via streaming and, obviously, all the merch and physical media pre-sales, as it is now. The fact that we have to wait another 3 months to hear the rest of the album is definitely a bit frustrating in the age of surprise album drops.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

Agreed! Just offering the streaming right now would sustain the momentum, driving more folks to pre-order the physical product.
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon »

Dreamweapon wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:37 pm
Dreamweapon wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:09 pm Big difference in postage charges on the Spz store and the recordstore link included in this thread.....
Therefore not really sure who is reliable to go with and when I should be reserving or whether I should go with a physical shop.....
Anyone able to give any advice on where to go?
Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon »

The more I watch the video, the more I find it really moving / upsetting / sad heartwrenching especially with the music alongside it.

Based on these two tracks, I genuinely think Jason's going out on a high (no pun intended) if this is the last Spz album. I think these are tremendous songs.

If this is it, I also wonder what he'll do afterwards.....
rameses
Known user

Post by rameses »

Dreamweapon wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:31 pm
I ordered the deluxe and indie white vinyl from Norman Records. It came to just over £50 so postage (In the UK)was free.
It's nice to be liked,
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

TheWarmth wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:57 pm
mojo filters wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:12 pm Am surprised the physical product is not coming out until September. The amount of momentum created by the recent activity seemed remarkably effective, with the trademarked understated Spaceman flourish ... all ending with a bit of an anti-climax. It would have been nice to at least have some UK tour dates announced.
I think the momentum would have been much better served by offering up the album immediately via streaming and, obviously, all the merch and physical media pre-sales, as it is now. The fact that we have to wait another 3 months to hear the rest of the album is definitely a bit frustrating in the age of surprise album drops.
Agree totally. I think they really dropped the ball not having the album ready to go after the build up. Momentum probably lost now.
Dreamweapon wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:31 pm
I went with Piccadilly. Cheaper and they don't charge your card until the album is actually ready to ship. Norman records are also a good option.
Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon »

Many thanks for the advice - went with Norman, and pre-ordered the deluxe LP, white LP, and CD too!
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I listened to the early live version of I'm Your Man this morning- I think it might have some different lyrics and it's really skeletal. he's developed it quite a bit in the studio. still prefer A Perfect Miracle though.

I can see the frustration with having to wait until September for the album release, but at the same time I can understand why it's not being released for streaming straight away. For one thing that's not Jason's style, also surely that kind of thing would eat into record sales? a lot fans might listen to it on streaming for a few weeks then move on to the next thing.
I'm sure there'll be another song previewed before September as is the way these days.

can anybody spot any other easter eggs in the video? what's the stuff he puts in the suitcase at the start?
selib
Known user

Post by selib »

Remembering the Grizzly Bear album release, 3 months don't seem so bad lol
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

i don’t think it’s unusual to have to wait for an album release. That will work alongside with reviews/
press/interviews/etc building up to the date.

The height of summer is a notoriously dead time for album releases. This coming Friday is he last big release date before summer and after it being this long in production it would be a waste to rush it out now. There’s also the live dates to consider too as most fans will be away at some point over the summer and it’s festival season.
http://www.soundcloud.com/haarlemriots
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

angelsighs wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:35 am
can anybody spot any other easter eggs in the video? what's the stuff he puts in the suitcase at the start?
I've spotted the LICD artwork at the top left of the screen as he's packing the case.

The scenes during the guitar solo where he's lying down with his arms out is a nod to the Do It All Over Again video I'd say.

Pics of his kids in photo frames in the hotel room perhaps?
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

I wonder if “A Song” And “D Song” will make an appearance. What show is the early I’m Your Man from?
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

It was performed at the Chicago show on July 12, 2013 that I was at. Here's the setlist from that one:

Here It Comes (The Road, Let's Go)
Hey Jane
Electricity
Let It Flow
The Morning After
I'm Your Man
She Kissed Me (It Felt Like a Hit)
Let's Dance
"D" Song
So Long You Pretty Thing
A Song (New Reprise)
Heading for the Top
Take Your Time
Come Together
All of My Tears
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

it's also in the live compilation of the new songs that Bza put together and remastered- off the top of my head not sure if that's also the Chicago one or not.

A Song and D Song have to be there surely? Jason doesn't seem to have songs coming out of his ears.
The blurb seems to say that On The Sunshine is a raucous song so that could be the former?

another mystery- what's the song snippet at the beginning of the I'm Your Man video. another of the new tunes?
Stonedutch
Known user

Post by Stonedutch »

heisenberg wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:22 am
angelsighs wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:35 am
I've spotted the LICD artwork at the top left of the screen as he's packing the case.

The scenes during the guitar solo where he's lying down with his arms out is a nod to the Do It All Over Again video I'd say.

Pics of his kids in photo frames in the hotel room perhaps?
I'm not usually one to notice or look for trivial minutiae, but I did notice on the passenger side door of the car he's driving there's stickers that say: JSSP.00003 - another nod to his past. Right above this in smaller print is the title of the new album "And Nothing Hurt".
"Where I stand is only three miles from space ..."
sm-iom
Known user

Post by sm-iom »

This article covers off quite a few of the video references:

https://reverb.com/news/spiritualized-j ... m-your-man