"And Nothing Hurt" - new Spiritualized® album 2018

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

Billy Whizz
Known user

Re: "And Nothing Hurt" - new Spiritualized® album 2018

Post by Billy Whizz »

angelsighs wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:36 pm
Billy Whizz wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:45 pm
angelsighs wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:41 pm
TheWarmth wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:45 pm https://www.stereogum.com/2012377/spiri ... -the-week/

This is well thought out and well written. Recommended reading.
Wow this album is getting quite a few rave reviews!

Jason is only 4 years younger than Dylan when he did Time Out Of Mind.. That seems really weird :o
One thing I didn't quite get in that review - hasn't Jason's music ALWAYS been quite existential and spoken clearly about death and time running out/not having long left?
very true. as had Dylan's, way before Time Out Of Mind :) but they don't want to let that get in the way of a good angle!

Songs In A&E particularly had issues of mortaility and existential angst way before this one!
Yeah, or stuff like Lord Can You Hear Me? by Spacemen 3 even.
REVOLUTION * PURITY * LOVE * SUICIDE * ACCURACY
space
Known user

Post by space »

Billy Whizz wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:03 pm
angelsighs wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:36 pm
Billy Whizz wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:45 pm
angelsighs wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:41 pm
TheWarmth wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:45 pm https://www.stereogum.com/2012377/spiri ... -the-week/

This is well thought out and well written. Recommended reading.
Wow this album is getting quite a few rave reviews!

Jason is only 4 years younger than Dylan when he did Time Out Of Mind.. That seems really weird :o
One thing I didn't quite get in that review - hasn't Jason's music ALWAYS been quite existential and spoken clearly about death and time running out/not having long left?
very true. as had Dylan's, way before Time Out Of Mind :) but they don't want to let that get in the way of a good angle!

Songs In A&E particularly had issues of mortaility and existential angst way before this one!
Yeah, or stuff like Lord Can You Hear Me? by Spacemen 3 even.
i don't mind dying lord, hey man/amen

there is a massive difference thoguh. when one is young one thinks of death as being romatic and when you are older it becomes a reality
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

Is that a pic of Jason with his mum in one of the recent social media videos?
Billy Whizz
Known user

Post by Billy Whizz »

heisenberg wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:54 pm Is that a pic of Jason with his mum in one of the recent social media videos?

Which one? Not noticed a pic but might not have seen the vid.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

mkb wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:46 pm Do vinyl copies of the new album come with a download code?
Yes!
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

Billy Whizz wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:36 pm
heisenberg wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:54 pm Is that a pic of Jason with his mum in one of the recent social media videos?

Which one? Not noticed a pic but might not have seen the vid.
Check out the 'A Perfect Miracle' instrumental videos posted on Facebook or Instagram 4th September.
ravench
Known user

Post by ravench »

Is that a pic of Jason with his mum in one of the recent social media videos?
[/quote]
Yes, it is the last picture in the CD booklet.
poly800rock
New user

Post by poly800rock »

Album is awesome. Dont you think its kind of odd Fat Possom wouldnt put any money for him to use a studio?
Billy Whizz
Known user

Post by Billy Whizz »

spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

poly800rock wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:15 pm Album is awesome. Dont you think its kind of odd Fat Possom wouldnt put any money for him to use a studio?
Fat Possum are only the US label. It is Bella Union in the UK.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
Billy Whizz
Known user

Post by Billy Whizz »

spzretent wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:05 pm
poly800rock wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:15 pm Album is awesome. Dont you think its kind of odd Fat Possom wouldnt put any money for him to use a studio?
Fat Possum are only the US label. It is Bella Union in the UK.
I think there was money given for the album, but that was spent on the sessions with Youth that were scrapped, so the budget was gone. It also means there's an unreleased album knocking around somewhere. I think I heard they recorded 22 tracks for it.

It would be nice to think that will surface at some point, but if Jason has the tapes, I can't see it. Lots of great bands have a 'lost' or aborted album somewhere. Smile by the Beach Boys, Stampede by Buffalo Springfield, Toy by Bowie...
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

And if as Jason says, that they're tainted by the bad vibes of the circumstances of their creation, I doubt we should expect the original recordings to surface any time soon. Time and rock and roll mythology can be a good healer though, so maybe one day.

And as for the pic of Jason and his mother? Very touching. Roll on Friday!
Billy Whizz
Known user

Post by Billy Whizz »

heisenberg wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:48 pm And if as Jason says, that they're tainted by the bad vibes of the circumstances of their creation, I doubt we should expect the original recordings to surface any time soon. Time and rock and roll mythology can be a good healer though, so maybe one day.

And as for the pic of Jason and his mother? Very touching. Roll on Friday!

That was just a screen shot I took from the Facebook video, it's probably clearer and better in the album booklet.

The way Jason is (not that I know him personally) I doubt he'd ever release the recordings. But maybe there's more than one copy... so you never know. Stuff leaks against the artist's wishes at times.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Kudos to Fat Possum for getting the LP here a few days early.
Just put it on. Sounds brilliant.
Nice packaging too.
good dope/good fun
Known user

Post by good dope/good fun »

Got around to giving it a few listens through.
Impressive album.
KappaTI
Known user

Post by KappaTI »

Anyone else's deluxe vinyl super noisy? :(

Album is great, and I'm glad it came with a download code and all that, but I'm a lil bummed out on all the static during any quiet parts.
mywhitenoise
Known user

Post by mywhitenoise »

KappaTI wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:46 am Anyone else's deluxe vinyl super noisy? :(

Album is great, and I'm glad it came with a download code and all that, but I'm a lil bummed out on all the static during any quiet parts.
Yup, the surface noise is unbearable. My girlfriend, who isn’t anywhere close to an audiophile as I am, immediately noticed and said “are you going to clean that record?”
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Going by the three songs released earlier in the summer I wasn't really expecting to like this album, however recent personal circumstances have made this possibly the best time ever for a new Spiritualized album to drop.

Unfortunately, having nothing but the crappiest of bud earphones and a laptop in my possession at the moment I have decided to avoid the stream, and when the physical package arrives I will still not have the means to listen to it. Aaaarghh!!!!!! :(

Hopefully I can get a loan of some decent headphones at least.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
thesevensteves
Known user

Post by thesevensteves »

same scenario with my version of the deluxe lp...very noisy. i've actually been opting to listen to the downloads instead. reckon i might send a note to Fat Possum about it, however maybe its the whole run of the orange version?
Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon »

Mine has yet to arrive - hopefully tomorrow.....

Bit worried if this is the case.

Do I keep it as a collector's item and never play it? Return it? Wasn't there also the problem with the SHSL white vinyl too?

I've ordered the Deluxe Orange, White Vinyl LP and the CD too.

Has anyone listened to the ANH white vinyl LP? Is this UK only?

Apparently there's also a silver vinyl LP too?

Is it a double LP too?
t0kdag0n
Known user

Post by t0kdag0n »

a couple of spins in and I find myself warming up to the new one quite nicely. I imagine in a week's time many of these songs will be stuck in my head.
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

Looks like expected delivery date is Friday 9/7.
ABOCA
Known user

Post by ABOCA »

There was a problem with the white vinyl SHSL and all who e-mailed to say they wanted a replacement were sent a black vinyl copy free of charge.

If anybody is interested in the silver vinyl, apparently it is only available to order online from the Bella Union website shop.

Roll on tomorrow when hopefully I will receive an e-mail from Rough Trade to say I can pick up the white vinyl!
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

This album is a masterpiece. The majority of these songs are utterly flawless. I find the lyrics to "Damaged" a bit weak and Pierce has written stronger closing tracks than "Sail On Through" (see "So Long You Pretty Thing"), but other than that, man ... this record is incredible. I think it's his best since L&GWAFIS.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Are the downloads FLAC or MP3?
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

TheWarmth wrote: This album is a masterpiece.
Agreed! Trying not to listen to much to the stream until I hear it properly but... just wow.

Just one example:

I'm amazed how 'Let's Dance' evolved from the simple lullaby thing in live shows years back into this incredibly layered, trance thing: pure Beach Boys/Phil Spector maximilism near the end, that's how I always imagine Spiritualized to sound and it just nails it.

With a bit of Kenzo Women thrown in somewhere amongst the 256 tracks...

Love how Fat Possum sent this out early, people in the US got lucky!

I'm guessing the UK/Europe Bella Union edition will be attempted delivery tomorrow. I say attempted as I'm working until Saturday night...

Lastly for now, I'm pretty sure I can hear elements of 'A Song' in 'On The Sunshine', and those alternate mixes being used on the social media platforms with the short videos need to be released properly.
O P 8
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Olan: it's an MP3 download. I put it on my phone last night and it's a far superior listen to the NPR stream.
Billy Whizz
Known user

Post by Billy Whizz »

BzaInSpace wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:54 pm
TheWarmth wrote: This album is a masterpiece.
Love how Fat Possum sent this out early, people in the US got lucky!

I'm guessing the UK/Europe Bella Union edition will be attempted delivery tomorrow. I say attempted as I'm working until Saturday night...

Lastly for now, I'm pretty sure I can hear elements of 'A Song' in 'On The Sunshine', and those alternate mixes being used on the social media platforms with the short videos need to be released properly.
I'd guess that mail in the UK is much more reliable with dates. We all know that first class post will get there in 2 days max. Maybe different in the US because it's a million times bigger and stuff.

I think someone mentioned Let's Dance reminding them of Baby I'm Just A Fool. Until I heard the album version, Here It Comes always had me singing Baby I'm just A Fool along to it. Similar chords and tempo maybe?

As for the alternate mixes... Japanese bonus tracks maybe? They always seem to get extra over there!
KappaTI
Known user

Post by KappaTI »

thesevensteves wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:56 pm same scenario with my version of the deluxe lp...very noisy. i've actually been opting to listen to the downloads instead. reckon i might send a note to Fat Possum about it, however maybe its the whole run of the orange version?
I sent an email to fatpossum (orders@fatpossum.com), and they are sending me a replacement LP tomorrow. Fingers crossed.
Billy Whizz
Known user

Post by Billy Whizz »

KappaTI wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:21 am
thesevensteves wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:56 pm same scenario with my version of the deluxe lp...very noisy. i've actually been opting to listen to the downloads instead. reckon i might send a note to Fat Possum about it, however maybe its the whole run of the orange version?
I sent an email to fatpossum (orders@fatpossum.com), and they are sending me a replacement LP tomorrow. Fingers crossed.
Will be the same pressing though surely?
Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon »

Dreamweapon wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:09 pm Mine has yet to arrive - hopefully tomorrow.....

Bit worried if this is the case.

Do I keep it as a collector's item and never play it? Return it? Wasn't there also the problem with the SHSL white vinyl too?

I've ordered the Deluxe Orange, White Vinyl LP and the CD too.

Has anyone listened to the ANH white vinyl LP? Is this UK only?

Apparently there's also a silver vinyl LP too?

Is it a double LP too?

I really don't know whether to open my Deluxe one now when it arrives. Would be nice to keep it untarnished, but also don't know whether to play it and try and find out. Are there any issues with the white or silver vinyl editions? Not sure where I got the idea of a double LP from - thought I'd read something somewhere!

Were there issues with all the SHSL white vinyl editions? I know it's been mentioned here that those that returned their white vinyl copies of this were given free black vinyl replacements - surely that makes the white edition quite rare now?

Jason must be really annoyed to have this happen again - were there also problems with the green vinyl of Songs In A&E?
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

Neither CD or Vinyl has arrived, so I'm reduced to Amazon streaming :evil:

It is sounding super great though.

'The Morning Song' is Surely the' A Song, no'?
mkb
Known user

Post by mkb »

Dreamweapon wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:55 am Jason must be really annoyed to have this happen again - were there also problems with the green vinyl of Songs In A&E?
No (not with mine at least) - the green A&E was a really good pressing.
Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon »

Regarding pressing quality issues - does nobody check they're OK, before they leave the pressing plant? Sounds obvious, but.....!
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Arrived today. There are no issues with the pressing quality of my copy. I'm very impressed with the quality of the songwriting and production to say the very least.

It is also a very beautiful thing. My photograph does no justice to the quality of the artwork and packaging.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

mkb wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:22 am
Dreamweapon wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:55 am Jason must be really annoyed to have this happen again - were there also problems with the green vinyl of Songs In A&E?
It was the white vinyl of SHSL that was duff. Both pressings of A&E that I have are really good. The orange vinyl from Bella Union is excellent.
Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon »

olan wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:46 am Image

Arrived today. There are no issues with the pressing quality of my copy. I'm very impressed with the quality of the songwriting and production to say the very least.

It is also a very beautiful thing. My photograph does no justice to the quality of the artwork and packaging.

Looks like you have a beautiful turntable
ravench
Known user

Post by ravench »

Has anyone else loaded CD to ITunes & not be able to get Album artwork? I emailed Luke at Bella Union he said I should but sent me 6mb artwork.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

I can't belive how much I like Let's Dance. I thought the early live versions where really underwhelming, but now it sounds like a golden lost cut from LGM!
thesevensteves
Known user

Post by thesevensteves »

ravench wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:32 pm Has anyone else loaded CD to ITunes & not be able to get Album artwork? I emailed Luke at Bella Union he said I should but sent me 6mb artwork.
my download had no artwork, no artist listing, no album title and tracks were all titled with the track number, song title, then mastered and a random number...i.e.

01 A Perfect Miracle - mastered 18418.mp3

not an issue by any means but seems rather sloppy in 2018 :)
andyblacktoo
Known user

Post by andyblacktoo »

theres now a you tube version of the new lp here.

https://youtu.be/Eifj_YcrzDA

anyone else finding Jason's interviews for this mildly amusing?. especially the pop at Will (who I thought had been very diplomatic in his book). and its amusing to claim the band is near bankrupt when you're the only actual member. the record is pretty cheesy in parts but does still have some real beauty.
andyblacktoo
Known user

Post by andyblacktoo »

ps, has anyone cracked open their orange vinyl delux UK box sets yet? My turntable is knackered and so im intrigued to know if its a poor pressing also.
ravench
Known user

Post by ravench »

my download had no artwork, no artist listing, no album title and tracks were all titled with the track number, song title, then mastered and a random number...i.e.

01 A Perfect Miracle - mastered 18418.mp3

not an issue by any means but seems rather sloppy in 2018 :)
[/quote]
The song titles were there but not artwork. Let me know if you would like 6mb art work & you can easily add it in ITunes.
mkb
Known user

Post by mkb »

I assume the 800hz part of the Bella Union catalogue number is the frequency of the morse code tone?

Or is that too low?
andyblacktoo
Known user

Post by andyblacktoo »

iTunes has an 'add artwork' option where it'll automatically download any to update your artwork less files, so just run that and I think it'll appear with time.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

andyblacktoo wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:21 pm theres now a you tube version of the new lp here.

https://youtu.be/Eifj_YcrzDA

anyone else finding Jason's interviews for this mildly amusing?. especially the pop at Will (who I thought had been very diplomatic in his book). and its amusing to claim the band is near bankrupt when you're the only actual member. the record is pretty cheesy in parts but does still have some real beauty.
There's always a bit of repetition with phrases, but I guess that is probably true for any artist being interviewed for a release, there is only so much you can say. I didn't see a pop a Will, only something along the lines of 'I wished he'd have talked to me', which doesn't sound terribly controversial. What are you referring to?
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

My deluxe orange vinyl sounds great. No problem here. I have been listening to it since Wednesday. 4th listen.
Maybe there was a bad run of pressings. Not sure.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

andyblacktoo wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:23 pm ps, has anyone cracked open their orange vinyl delux UK box sets yet? My turntable is knackered and so im intrigued to know if its a poor pressing also.
My copy is absolutely spot on.
ravench
Known user

Post by ravench »

andyblacktoo wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:31 pm iTunes has an 'add artwork' option where it'll automatically download any to update your artwork less files, so just run that and I think it'll appear with time.
I tried that but with no success. All the recent CDS I have bought I have had no problem getting artwork.
andyblacktoo
Known user

Post by andyblacktoo »

yeah to be fair, in hindsight you might be right Rich, I'd initially read it as a pop but perhaps it's less so (so maybe I should take that comment back). though I did think Will's book was really quite diplomatic about the whole lot. I drove past those flats on the site of the Blitz recently which make me smile. you can find the article here which is quite handy :

https://www.pressreader.com/uk/uncut/20 ... 5176583650

I'd believe the £2million offer, given what Slowdive have seen from their return and what Lush could have done if it had worked better. The Gerald Palmer contract is clearly a great example of not signing anything these days without proper advice given he actually even owns the Sp3 name and trademark rather than Messers Kember and Pierce.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

My vinyl has arrived! :D :D
Pat Garrett
Known user

Post by Pat Garrett »

Anyone else pre-order the deluxe vinyl from Amazon? (Now they don't have a delivery date at all). And Fat Possum is sold out. FFS.
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Hurrah, my white vinyl has arrived, and it's a fantastic pressing - no surface noise, unwarped, just lovely.

"The Morning After" has just started. Fuck me, this is an incredible song :D
Billy Whizz
Known user

Post by Billy Whizz »

clewsr wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:56 am

Don't think so, different lyrics and riff.
Bensoncooks
New user

Post by Bensoncooks »

Got my vinyl yesterday. Picked up the black vinyl at a local record store. Got the deluxe box coming from Amazon next week.

I listened to the stream probably 20 times, mostly while driving, but sitting down and listening to the record for the first time this morning has been an entirely different experience. Absolutely incredible album. Let's dance is my favorite on the album. The morning after is mind blowing. The prize felt flat to me on the stream, but sounds exponentially better on the vinyl, and might be up there with top tracks on the album. Kind of wishing I didn't listen to the first three songs so much over the summer.

There's a tiny bit of surface noise on my black vinyl. But nothing terrible. Only really noticeable in between tracks.
good times
Known user

Post by good times »

Loved the ending of Let's Dance, before the outro starts, he sings "Show a little love, i'll keep it close to mine. Have a little heart, i'll keep my own in time..." That part is just perfect.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

I'm impressed how fast the lyrics appeared on Genius, great work by some unsung hero!

However, surely on Let's Dance the "September girl" line should be "September Gurl" as per the 1974 Big Star track September Gurls?
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
Billy Whizz
Known user

Post by Billy Whizz »

mojo filters wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:00 pm I'm impressed how fast the lyrics appeared on Genius, great work by some unsung hero!

However, surely on Let's Dance the "September girl" line should be "September Gurl" as per the 1974 Big Star track September Gurls?
When I looked a couple of days ago loads of the lyrics were wrong.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

Billy Whizz wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:59 pm
clewsr wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:56 am

Don't think so, different lyrics and riff.
I'm being dim. I just thought it was familiar, but then I realised that because The Morning After has already been played live.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Did anybody who ordered from the official Spiritualized site in the U.K. not receive the box today?

Just home, and didn't even have a 'sorry we missed you card' from Royal Mail... if they try to deliver tomorrow I'm at work and therefore won't be able to pick up from the depot until Monday at least.

Damn. Sunday will be my first day off in 8 days and hoped to kick back with this thing for purely medicinal purposes.

Prescription is late! In saying that I've waited over 6 years, so a day or so more won't matter.. will it?
O P 8
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Same situation here. My local record store pre-ordered the deluxe vinyl (orange) as well as a cd for me. The owner said that the postman usually arrives 3:30pm and/or 5:00pm on a friday. I, guess I'll pick mine up on Saturday ...... hopefully :oops:
Multi
Known user

Post by Multi »

olan wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:49 am
It was the white vinyl of SHSL that was duff. Both pressings of A&E that I have are really good. The orange vinyl from Bella Union is excellent.
Any word on the silver sound quality? How limited they are?
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Multi wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:03 pm
olan wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:49 am
Any word on the silver sound quality? How limited they are?
I had forgotten about it and only ordered mine on Wednesday night. Bella Union still had copies then but I can't comment on sound quality as it hasn't arrived yet
Spiby
Known user

Post by Spiby »

Apologies if someone else posted this

https://consequenceofsound.net/2018/09/ ... rt-stream/

Fascinating to hear the story behind each track and Jason sounds (deservedly) very pleased with them.
mkb
Known user

Post by mkb »

There's a parcel waiting for me at the post office, which I assume is the silver vinyl, I'll pick it up tomorrow morning.

The morse code tone is 800hz by the way, in reference to my previous post about the Bella Union catalogue number.