"And Nothing Hurt" - new Spiritualized® album 2018

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

jack white
Known user

Re: New Spiritualized Album - 2015?

Post by jack white »

So the album's called 'progressing nicely'?!

Heh.. :wink:
gonna burn brightly
for a while
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I actually think Progressing Nicely would be an amazing album title.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

TheWarmth wrote:I actually think Progressing Nicely would be an amazing album title.
Agreed!
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I think an announcement may be brewing.. the band tweeted " + + + " yesterday.. perhaps a countdown of sorts?
good times
Known user

Post by good times »

are there any updates on this? hope album comes this year. it's been 3 years already.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I'm assuming there has been no more information about the new LP recently? I don't use Twitter, so perhaps something maybe have been tweeted? A September release date was mentioned at some point, but I highly doubt that's going to happen unless it's a surprise release.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

nope nothing on twitter at all.

their last tweet, bizzarely, was a retweet of The Libertines. disappointed if Jason is a fan of that mob. obviously, I am sure the feed is maintained by management rather than him, but still..

it's true that a Sep release date is looking unlikely now
Noddy
Known user

Post by Noddy »

From personal experience of releasing records you need a minimum of 3 months in advance to announce/get an album to press. I would say given Christmas is looming then probably looking at February at the earliest.
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

angelsighs wrote:nope nothing on twitter at all.

their last tweet, bizzarely, was a retweet of The Libertines. disappointed if Jason is a fan of that mob. obviously, I am sure the feed is maintained by management rather than him, but still..
He has the same management as the Libertines so I think that's why that was on twitter, and also why he played at the show last summer at Hyde Park. I'm sure the album will be out sometime in the next few years...

maybe :lol:
http://www.soundcloud.com/haarlemriots
JJ1977
Known user

Post by JJ1977 »

Interesting interview and album news - no more Youth

http://www.skiddle.com/news/all/Spiritu ... ne-/26123/
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

simonkeeping wrote:
angelsighs wrote:nope nothing on twitter at all.

He has the same management as the Libertines so I think that's why that was on twitter, and also why he played at the show last summer at Hyde Park. I'm sure the album will be out sometime in the next few years...

maybe :lol:
ahh ok... thought it may have been a heroin thing or something :)

that interview is really interesting- looks like him and Youth did not get on at all then!

and I really like the question that stumped him
"are you more of a folk band or psychedelic band"
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

JJ1977 wrote:Interesting interview and album news - no more Youth

Nice find, pretty interesting article as well, the Youth thing, without to many details revealed sounds like a bit of a nightmare for J. but good news he`s still working away, bit bored with journo/bloggers still hitting him with Sonic/ Spacemen history questions though, I thought it was pretty clear where he stood there, although he does seem to bat it away with good grace, I can think of plenty other musicians who wouldn`t be so gracious. A new album this year does seem to be getting ever more far fetched though, I`m a patient man.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

I knew there was something suspect about that Youth fella. No respectable musician could show as much enthusiasm for Culture Club, regardless of the money involved. It sounds like an intriguing story, hopefully it'll come out one day.

On the positive side, it's nice to hear Jason sound so cheerful and upbeat!

There wasn't really that much specific information about timescales and the new album. It would have been nice to get some more details beyond the fact they are still at the recording stage. It doesn't seem like it'll be finished anytime soon, but it is nice to hear that he is taking so much care over it. That was a great quote from Jim Dickinson regarding the recording process!

It was good to hear the specific influences mentioned regarding the new material. However it was a shame the interviewer didn't follow that up to get more specific information regarding what we can expect from this record. I can't recall interviews about previous albums where Jason has referenced one of his previous records specifically, to describe what he is currently working on. My interpretation of that was the new record is going to be more conceptual and flowing, as opposed to a sequence of songs (which the last three albums have seemed like to me).

Also it would have been nice to get a better insight into the recent setlist choices, particularly in the context of the general comments regarding festivals, psychedelia and the music of Spiritualized. Otherwise a really interesting interview - Jason sounded a lot more forthcoming and relaxed than normal; he sounds upbeat and quite happy to be chatting to that journalist.

I liked what he said about folk music. I don't think I've read or heard Jason talk about it like that before, though my memory may be wrong. Also curious that Jason mentioned The White Album, previously I can only recall him referencing The Beatles in relatively negative terms.

I liked the saxophone question! I think the sax on Fucked Up Inside sounds amazing. However I can see why Jason would be picky about who plays it - I don't think the common clichéd rock'n'roll saxophone sound would suit the music of Spiritualized. A bit like the piano on the live Royal Albert Hall album, which always jars a bit with me. It veers far too close to the horrible Jools Holland predictable plinky-plonky rubbish he inflicts on every poor guest forced to let him play with them on his TV show!

I didn't think the Mark E Smith analogy was really appropriate; The Fall are a unique band led by a unique person, I doubt much that's true for them necessarily relates well to other bands. I was surprised that a music journalist would use such an example - Mark E Smith is eminently quotable, but much of what he says about music only relates to his own unique circumstances. I always think he's a more interesting person than The Fall are a band, though obviously you wouldn't have one without the other!

Interesting expansive answers, but no one needed that last Spacemen 3 question, especially the implication re his relationship with PK - seemed a shame to end a decent interview with an uneeded twist on well-trodden ground. I give Jason credit for showing such good grace and not getting as exasperated as I imagine I would be in that situation.
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

angelsighs wrote:
simonkeeping wrote:[

that interview is really interesting- looks like him and Youth did not get on at all then!

so no astrological hymns then?
“You're not Dostoevsky,' said the citizeness

'Well, who knows, who knows,' he replied.

'Dostoevsky's dead,' said the citizeness, but somehow not very confidently.

'I protest!' Behemoth exclaimed hotly. 'Dostoevsky is immortal!”
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

Maybe the ulterior motive was that he wanted J to play some whamonica on an anniversary rerecording of Karma Chameleon.
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

heisenberg wrote:Maybe the ulterior motive was that he wanted J to play some whamonica on an anniversary rerecording of Karma Chameleon.
no other answer makes sense!

seriously though, i reckon it's great news that jason is likening this to LAGWAFIS in terms of being an eclectic melting pot of his different influences. Not to discredit his recent, more 'song based' output at all, i feel like his ability to really push the envelope when experimenting with sound is a major part of what makes spiritualized exciting for me. of course his songs can still sound great in their most minimal form (case in point: acoustic mainlines versions) but the particular sound-world he creates for each track really takes them to a different level.

interesting to hear him talk about saxophones too. definitely wish he'd get ray dickaty back on board! don't agree that guitars can cover the same ground..
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

Just heard an interview with Jason on the music news slot of Radcliffe and Marconie, (about fifty minutes in, I'd guess).

Covered the same kinds of topics as the interview posted above, no youth, album next year. 18 great songs in the mix. He also mentioned the set list, - that he thought he probably shouldn't be playing the new songs while working on the album. I do hope there is just a little of a change to the set for the psych fest though.

(Radcliffe said 'that was as chatty as I've ever heard him'. I've always sensed Radcliffe has had a fairly dismissive attitude to Spiritualized over the years)
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

clewsr wrote:Just heard an interview with Jason on the music news slot of Radcliffe and Marconie, (about fifty minutes in, I'd guess).

Covered the same kinds of topics as the interview posted above, no youth, album next year. 18 great songs in the mix. He also mentioned the set list, - that he thought he probably shouldn't be playing the new songs while working on the album. I do hope there is just a little of a change to the set for the psych fest though.

(Radcliffe said 'that was as chatty as I've ever heard him'. I've always sensed Radcliffe has had a fairly dismissive attitude to Spiritualized over the years)
looks like it will be a podcast

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02nrw8 ... /downloads

is it mark radcliff who used to do the afternoon slot on radio 1? if so he used to irritate me

clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

yes he's still irritating.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

another new interview, similar ground covered

http://www.fusedmagazine.co.uk/spiritualized/

We were playing new songs for a while but then we kind of held off. We were trying to release a record earlier this year so it seemed like kind of crazy to start giving all the songs away now. We kind of play together as we go along, we’ve done a set for the last few shows but it’s not a static thing.
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

what's with the flurry of interviews? (3 ) is it a label thing?

it seems a podcast of the interview never surfaced :?

simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

The Dr wrote:what's with the flurry of interviews? (3 ) is it a label thing?

I'm guessing the label lined them up as the album was due out in September (according to all the reports up 'til now that is).
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

simonkeeping wrote:
The Dr wrote:what's with the flurry of interviews? (3 ) is it a label thing?

I'm guessing the label lined them up as the album was due out in September (according to all the reports up 'til now that is).
I thought Jason had referred to some issue in a recent interview, suggesting he didn't know for sure which label would actually be releasing the new album, or have I just imagined that?
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
Lazerize
Known user

Post by Lazerize »

He mentioned labels that would be putting it out - I think it's the same ones that released Huh?.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Lazerize wrote:He mentioned labels that would be putting it out - I think it's the same ones that released Huh?.
I seem to recall Bella Union getting a mention. Their website doesn't list them as an artist, but the Glastonbury BBC stream is mentioned on their news page.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Bella Union in UK/Europe
Fat Possum In N.America
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

I thought the last album was Domino and their Double Six imprint, or are those the same as above?

Unfortunately I don't really follow these complicated matters, machinations and manoeuvres anymore ... things aren't like they were back in the day :roll:

I imagine running a small label is much harder these days, especially to actually make a living from it. Ironically it seems like pressing vinyl has become a thriving business, with demand exceeding supply.
Dave Chappelle
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

Rather good interview with Doggen here: http://www.leftlion.co.uk/articles.cfm/ ... en/id/7555
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

simonkeeping wrote:Rather good interview with Doggen here: http://www.leftlion.co.uk/articles.cfm/ ... en/id/7555
That is a really good interview, I've only skimmed through it, it but it is worth a good proper read. It probably tells us more detail about how and why and line up has changed than we'd ever here from Jason. The story about how Doggen joined spz is good as are the slightly scary stories about Julian Cope.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

aghh that page just comes up blank for me?? any ideas. the interview sounds really good.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

From Guns N' Roses to Girls Aloud, Doggen's thirty-year music career has seen him perform and contribute to numerous chart-bothering hits, while as the guitarist for both Julian Cope and Spiritualized, he has been the sideman for two of the most idiosyncratic British songwriters of the past few decades.

Despite a busy schedule that's just seen him finish recording a new Spiritualized album and preparing to perform at Glastonbury Festival, he couldn't have been more accommodating with his time when I sat down to chat with him at the studio he runs on the outskirts of the city centre - Mousehouse. I'd also like to note that he brews a mean lemon and ginger tea...

You are from Nottingham, right?
Yes, Bestwood. The community that I grew up in had quite a bad reputation but was actually great as there was all sorts of people. I was in to music from an early age and there were loads of people really enthusiastic about playing musical instruments - a group of five or six people from around the area. It was great really, and we were on the edge of Bestwood Lodge so there was lot of nature. I think the reason for the troubles is that it’s just that far away from town. It’s kind of like Dead Mans Shoes. At the time – the late seventies, early eighties – it was probably a little bit more sociable. Good memories really.

When did you first pick up the guitar?
I was a bit of a child prodigy, at school they would always get me to play at parent’s evenings. I first picked up the guitar when I was five or six. My dad is a really good harmonica player and I tried to learn that at first, but then his friend gave me this beat-up guitar and that was it. It’s all I wanted, all I thought about. At first I just enjoyed it but as I got older I started to see it as an escape from growing up on a council estate and never being able to get out, although at the time I never felt trapped or anything like that.

My dad is obsessed with music. My parents still live in Bestwood and my dad’s living room smells of vinyl. I was obsessed by The Beatles, it was all I wanted to listen to. My older brother bought an album by The Who - Story of The Who - and I then got in to that type of music. As I got older I started to discover Led Zeppelin, Jimmy Hendrix, Black Sabbath, Rolling Stones stuff like that. Even in the eighties I was in to sixties and seventies music, I never really got in to stuff like Duran Duran.

As I got to about sixteen I started to join bands because I wanted to play and started to listen to some of the bands coming out at the time like Japan. Because I was too young for punk rock I was in to an assortment of The Stranglers, Led Zeppelin, really weird ska, Bob Marley, Frank Zappa, Captain Beefheart. I had an older brother obsessed with rock n’ roll, like my dad, so I’ve always been in to the fifties stuff. I was mad on Marc Bolan and stuff like that.

When my brother bought Led Zepellin III, I couldn’t stop playing it, I was obsessed by the guitar. You feel a bit cheated when you get in to music before your time, the guitarist is dead, the drummer is dead, all this music had already happened and eighties music wasn't doing it for me. Day-to-day I probably listen to more new music than anything, I don’t always get in to it all.

What was Nottingham like when you were growing up?
I played in a band with my older brother and then as I got in to my mid-to-late teens I was in a band that played gigs in town. We played pubs like The Yorker on Mansfield Road, which has changed names now. This was when I was at school. We thought we were a sixties rock band. As I got a bit older I got in to different kinds of bands and music.

Nottingham didn’t really have a lot to offer as a town for bands. No-one made it from there apart from KWS and Paper Lace. There were a few musicians rumoured to live around Nottingham. There were no venues really. There was a couple of cool clubs like The Garage and The Hippo, which were great. It was all cover bands. I moved to London when I was eighteen - the band I was in had just split up. They were called Celebrate This, the singer now is John Lennon in The Fab4.

I would start getting the National Express to London. At the time in the back of NME and Sounds there would be ‘bands wanted’ or ‘guitarists wanted’ and I started answering adverts. It seemed there was no way out of Nottingham at that time. It seems mad now, but looking back it really felt like that. When I moved to London it was a different world, loads of musicians, I had a fantastic time.

It seems quite recent that Nottingham bands and the arts in Nottingham are getting a voice, and it’s amazing. It was pretty terrible if you played in a rock n’ roll band at that time in the early-mid eighties. There were some good bands around but it felt so confined. It seemed that no band would ever make it from Nottingham.

How did you make the move to America?
I moved to London and eventually answered an ad in the NME and joined a band with these two guys that had a house. I moved in to their house a week later. We started the band and got this singer that knew a girl in America. This story could go on forever, but to cut a long story short: we had some gigs in America so we saved up for six months.

I worked in a nightclub called The Underground in Croydon glass collecting, just saving up as we didn’t have any record deal. We went over to do the gigs, and at the time it was two dollars to every pound, and the plan was to buy cheap Gibson guitars and come back with new guitars while having a good time in America on a tourist visa. Anyway, this girl got us a flat, she came through and everything, it was amazing. The first gig we did we went down pretty well, it wasn’t amazing, but we came off stage and Guns N’ Roses came backstage.

That was the very first thing we did, we had been there for two weeks. They were getting really big then. This was 1989 and they had just played at Donington and I think people died, it was a terrible thing that had happened. They were really nice and said "You were great" and literally befriended us. Within three weeks after that we were offered a record deal and I ended up staying for five years. I came back to the UK in 1994, though I did visit a couple of times in between.

Did you work on some Guns N’ Roses demos?
Yeah. It was amazing. When we went to American we were all really young and didn’t have a clue about the music business and as such we got ripped-off really badly. At the time when we were hanging around with them guys we got a deal and we got a house. It was an amazing house, it was like Spinal Tap, swimming pool, it was unbelievable and we couldn’t believe that it was happening.

I befriended this guy called West Arkeen who wrote songs with and was a friend of theirs through knowing Duff [McKagen]. When my band inevitably split-up after a year he said, "Do you want to move in to my amazing house in Silverlake?” because he had just started selling some records. He was just a dope smoking dude, a little older than me, but a fantastic guitarist. He was a bit nuts though and I didn’t expect that.

At the time he had a little studio with a tape machine and cassette players. They would come round and we just used to do recording all of the time. Duff would come round, Slash would come round. Looking back it seems bizarre, because since they’ve become really famous, but at the time it was just like meeting some other guys who were really in to music. Obviously it was a little bit more than that as they were the biggest rock n’ roll band at the time before Nirvana came and that kind of thing. I’ve still the demos. I would never ever give them out.

At one point I thought that there might be a chance of joining them, when Gilby Clarke joined, but to be honest I had lost touch with them by the time they were looking for someone else. But I did jam with them in their studio. It was amazing. The band I was in had to get an American drummer because at the last minute or original drummer’s girlfriend fell pregnant and we went over there without a drummer.

We met this guy and he knew them. It was quite a small scene believe it or not. We were totally alien, it was all glam rock bands, dirty jean and long haired kind of guys. They were really in to British music and could relate to a lot of stuff. It was a really great time and I remember when Duff first got some money through, because they all lived in crap flat when I very very first met them, and he bought this massive house. The day he bought it and got the keys we all went to it to have a party.

He had nothing, just some records, a few basses, a couple of guitars, and some jeans and shit. When you think about it, what have you got at that age? 22 or whatever. That was a mad memory. It sounds a bit legendary now, but at the time you don’t think much of it. It’s like having Jake Bugg in my studio then two, three years later seeing his massive poster outside the Ice Arena. I love that, it send shivers down my spine. It’s like every time I do a gig with Spiritualized, I just think that I’m so lucky.

Going back to the Guns N’ Roses thing because I’m a bit of a fan boy. I read that you came up with the acoustic guitar part for their song The Garden?
I don’t know if I did…

West Arkeen is credited on it…
I did play that song before they took it on. I have got cassettes of that whole song. In fact my brother has digitalised them. I wouldn’t like to say that’s true. I would like to say it is, but I don’t think I dare say that.

You don’t want Axl sending around the lawyers…
…cutting my head off or something.

It must have been amazing for you as a young English musician to be transplanted in to LA?
It was surreal. That was am amazing part of it and all happened within the first year of being there. It took a couple of months for us to sign our record deal and extend our visas. The band I was in was called The Medicine Show. We did some gigs and had a fantastic time. We are all still mates but it imploded after a year.

I think we all went a bid mad. But I ended up staying there and doing some great stuff, met some great studio engineers and musicians, but I was desperate to come back to England. I met Julian Cope when he was on tour there in 1991. One day he asked me to join his band and I jumped at the opportunity to come back home. I lived in Wiltshire for two or three years.

Is it true that Julian Cope now lives where you used to live?
Yes and there’s actually a book come out about the whole time [Standing On The Verge Of Getting It On, Jason Higgs]. It’s really hard to explain a lot of it. The author of the book also did one on The KLF. To be honest I haven’t read all of it as I find it hard to read. It was a brilliant time, though. That’s another thing that’s come out, a record last year, and we did a gig, the band is TC Lethbridge. I’m trying to do more but have been too busy with Spiritualized and World Expo music.

Dogntank Album Sleeve
Dogntank album sleeve
What was it like working with Julian Cope?
Even though I’ve not worked with him for a while as we had a bit of a falling out a few years ago, was a fantastic inspiration, creative person, and producer. He would blatantly pilfer, in a plagiarising way rather than stealing - everyone does that, everyone I’ve worked with, any kind of writer takes stuff for inspiration, although I supposed there are lines - but he would look at a William Blake writing and go, “I’ll have that” and change it a bit. There’s nothing wrong with that. He was totally inspiring. He would turn up and have the whole thing finished in a day. With Spiritualized I can be working on things for months and years some times. But with Julian and the nature of the music we did it was kind of easy to do that as it was a more generic rock n’ roll sound, and it was easy to achieve a sound quickly in that kind of way, whereas with Spiritualized there are strings and different dynamics.

I really miss him, I’ve not seen him for about four years. I worked with him for about seventeen years, and we made over twenty albums in this studio including about seven or eight of his last solo albums. We did a band called Brain Donor and recorded most it here. One album, Citizen Cain’d, me and him did all of it. We did the demos and I play a bit of drums, so we did the drums, and when we had finished the demos he said, “That’s it I’m putting it out like this” and I said, “You can’t put it out with my drumming on it.” With the help of a computer we sorted it out.

I think he is truly a genius. It was a weird time and I just couldn’t be in two bands at the same time. I tried my best but I ended up almost killing myself to make it work. There was a lot of pressure from Julian at the time and I think he was going through a bad time, he had fallen out with nearly every he knew at that time.

I kept seeing it happen over the years but I think I was useful to him as I played in his band, helped get the band together and had the studio. He’s a great writer, I learnt so much from him just by watching him do his thing. He would have an amazing pop song and you would think if that was in the hands of Simon Cowell it would be a Number One, but he would just make it throw-away and the lyrics would be Julian Cope style.

He got a bit more bitter in the last few years, a bit more political. He’s always been anti-religion and that kind of thing, but he went from a man when I first met him who was crazy about his standing stones and ancient places, which was great, and went from that to hating Muslims and really extreme lyrics. We played a gig at ATP in Minehead, it was the last time I played with him, and I had never felt more uncomfortable in my life.

He seemed to get more sycophantic people around him that was really hard to deal with. He was just playing games. He got some of the crew to wear burkas on stage and it just made me feel so uncomfortable, I hated it, I took a turn and fell over. It was just a bad weekend. I remember the next day I was at the Union Chapel with Jason Pierce doing something called Acoustic Mainline, but Julian’s management hadn’t sorted any of my transport and it had all agreed before.

He just left me to it and I think he knew that I didn’t agree what his feelings where about some of the stuff. But it’s typical of being in a band, you don’t talk about any of it. It was a couple of years after until we actually fell out. It just got more and more silly and I couldn’t keep up with it any more. It was fucking insane.

Is it true that he kidnapped you?
I was on a world tour with Spiritualized, but the problem was that I had booked to play a gig with Julian at the Royal Festival Hall. We hadn’t arranged any rehearsal. When it had come up, it was about six months before I was on the world tour but during that period there were no gigs and the manager we had at the time understood that.

He called me saying Spiritualized has been offered gigs in St Petersburg and Moscow and the trouble was that it was before the gig with Julian Cope but not on the gig. There would be a three-day window for rehearsals. I phoned up the guys from Julian’s band to make sure they could do rehearsals, because there would be no point arranging something with Julian first if the band couldn’t do it. I then rang Julian who said, “Jason’s trying to ruin my career.”

He got really paranoid and I explained that we hadn’t ever worked out when we were going to rehearse yet. All it meant was rehearsing before flying out and then having another one before the gig. Everyone else thought it was fine but he wouldn’t have it. I’d had it before where he would be really awkward with a few other things and I’d had enough of it. I was like, “Can’t you bend for me, I’ve bent for you for years?”

He wouldn’t do it and he threatened to sue me, it got stupid. Eventually, I was in America and a friend and his wife phoned me up and said, “We need to make this work”. I said, “All I wanted to do was make it work and I’ve got to make it work for Spiritualized as well. I know we can do it and I know Julian knows we can too.”

At the time I had been in Spiritualized for ten or twelve years, I had been juggling the two for a long time. Julian only did a few gigs a year, he still does, although he hasn’t done a band gig since. Not to put it down to money, but I have been a professional musician for years and I need to know what’s happening and be in control of it. He didn’t give me enough gigs. I never even thought of it like that because I feel so lucky to do this job, but when the kidnapped me that day I said, “Whose going to pay my mortgage?”

I played a gig in Sweden and got back here. He said, “Meet me at your house” because I had a house in Eastwood which he had a key too and he used to stay there sometimes because he’s got friends in this area. It was totally cool, we were like best mates. I met him at my house and he’s covered in a shroud.

There were two other guys in the car who were old friends of mine who I'd gotten them work for in Julian’s band, but they had become indoctrinated by him, changed the way they looked and everything. He said that he needed to collect an amp from Huddersfield. I said, “Can’t you get some other guy to do that. I’ve paid money to come back on an earlier flight to rehearse?” “No, no, no, we can chat about the set.” I thought, “whatever” - at this point I just wanted to make it work. We got in the car and he said, “You’ve got to leave Spiritualized”, it was this big interrogation.

At first I laughed and then I fucking lost it. We had been discussing this thing for over three months. We had this argument in the car. He wasn’t driving, one of the other guys was. They were dressed like Hells Angels but I wasn’t scared because one of them I had known for twenty years. It was really weird, like an act. We got to Huddersfield and I started walking home, because I realised I only had £6 in my pocket because I thought we were just going to the studio to rehearse and I was going to buy a sandwich. Then they came to pick me up again. It was pathetic, it wasn’t really a big kidnapping, that’s making it a bit dramatic.

We got back to my studio and Julian said, “You are never going to leave Spiritualized are you?” I said, “No, I love Spiritualized.” He said some really weird shit and I almost completely broke down as I couldn’t take it. As he was leaving he said, “I will always love you, man.” That was the last thing he said to me. To cut a long story short - he came back down here and attacked me. Smacked me in fact the day before I went to Russia with sand-filled police gloves on. It was calculated. It was pathetic. I’m laughing about it now but at the time it was horrible, I was totally shocked.

As much as I felt angry at the time, not just about him, but about some of my friends still connected with him, but it didn’t take long for them to fall out with him as well. It wasn’t that bad because I thought of the evidence of how he had been with some other people. He had a guy called Donald Skinner in his band for many years who was a fantastic musician and amazing guy and he kicked him out of the band for doing a crossword.

Doggen playing live with Spiritualized at Glastonbury 2015
Doggen with Spirtualized at Glastonbury Festival 2015 - Photo: Shaun Gordon

How did you get the job in Spiritualized?
That was a really weird thing that happened. The band that I went to America with, the bass player was a friend of mine from Nottingham called Paul Stanley. He stayed in America when I came back and worked in a studio film editing. He came over one Christmas and I asked him what was going on and he said that best band he had seen for years was the support act at a Radiohead concert he went to, who were called Spiritualized. This was about ’97. I was aware of Spiritulized and Spaceman 3 and he said, “I have never seen a band that would be more suited to you. You should be in that band”.

Honest to god this is true: literally six months later, I was working on something with Julian and he asked if I’d heard that Mooney, who I'd replaced in Julian's band, had joined Spiritualized, but was now out. I thought that was really weird considering what my friend said. I knew the keyboard player in Spiritualized because he was also in Julian’s band so I phoned him up for an audition.

I played through some songs and Jason said, “It’s good but it’s too much like the record, can you do your own thing?” I was like, “Well great, I’ve sat there learning all of these fucking songs…” Anyway, I felt it went well, I just played whatever came in to my mind, which is actually what I’m probably better at in some ways. He didn’t say I’d got it, but said, “Can you help us audition some other guitarists as we haven’t got a bass player either?” I thought, "that’s a bit cheeky!" It was a strange experience.

Three days later he rang me up and asked me to play this new festival starting up in Palm Springs called Coachella. On the way back he gave me a cassette of demos for Let It Come Down and a said, “Do you want to play on the album?” He didn’t actually ask me to join the band for at least another three years. The best thing was that when we went to play the gig in Coachella, I hadn’t told my friend who lived in California what had happened. We were staying in the Hyatt on Sunset and he lives ten minutes walk from there. I went around his house and knocked on his door and asked, “What are you doing tomorrow?” I’ve loved it ever since.

When Spirtualized are writing and recording are you allowed much input?
Definitely. We have just recorded an album with Youth from Killing Joke. It’s almost finished. Over the years, because I play bass on the albums a lot of the times, usually we would go to Rockfield Studios in Wales and it would be me, Jason, a drummer and a keyboard player, and we would put down the basic tracks, then I would layer guitar and lap steel. Whereas this time, because Youth played a lot of the bass, I played guitar, so I had a lot more input in to the arrangement of it. I felt more involved, which was brilliant.

It seemed at one point half of Nottingham was in Spiritualized…
I know. It’s hard to explain, but I guess this studio became a bit of a base, even though Jason lived in London. I’m not sure why that is because only two of us lived in Nottingham. Because of the studio we rehearsed here and got used to that over the years. The line-up for Spiritualized was the same for about fifteen years up until a couple of years ago, then we went through a bit of a change.

We finished touring and our American record company Fat Possom wanted us to to more work in America, because the whole nineties thing and Spiritualized were getting bigger in America from our last album, noticeably so. It’s been like that since as well in South America and Europe. A lot of bands like Ride and Stone Roses have come back, they’ve got a real bug for it over there at the moment it seems; they have loads of festivals and there are loads of psychedelic artists coming out like Ariel Pink and a lot of artists nod towards Spiritualized as an influence.

Getting back to the Nottingham members; we did a gig last year and Kev Bales, who is a good friend - we worked in TC Lethbridge and with Julian together - and Spiritualized parted for various reasons. We are all still friends. At the time the bass player we had was a guy called James Stelfox from Starsailor. The tour was meant to finish at this particular time. Stel(fox) had stuff to do, the guy who played keyboards in the band is also an orchestral percussionist and plays with the LSO so he had gigs in places like China.

It was two years of touring the last album, but they wanted us to do stuff in America and we didn't know if we could get over there. There’s stuff like visas running out and a problem with Social Security numbers; you now have to have a Social Security number to work in America, but you have to get it from America. So to fly all of your crew and band out costs thousands and thousands. What happened as a consequence, unless you are in a big band that can afford it, the crew end up not getting those gigs any more, and the band end up getting an American crew as it’s so expensive.

We borrowed some musicians from from America: we got the bass player from Interpol, a drummer called Kid Millions, a keyboard player called Evan, and did a tour with Flaming Lips and some festival dates. It was alright but felt a bit weird as we were this dead tight band for fifteen years. We just tailored the set to a more ragged set that was a bit easier to achieve with such a quick line-up.

It was actually really good and in some ways it kick-started the band a bit. We have a drummer who lives in Brighton who used to live in Nottingham, apart from that it’s just me in Nottingham. We did used to have a couple of other guys, some friends of mine that have stood in for periods. Because we haven’t got a permanent bass player, when we did the Ladies and Gentleman shows, we got a friend, it’s just easier as I know them well.

You’ve played on numerous songs as a session musician, too may for us to talk about. How did you get in to doing session work?
When I first moved to London I was putting adverts in Post Offices to give guitar lessons and make money, enterprise a little bit. I met some Rasta’s from Brixton who lived in Thornton Heath where I first moved to. They had a studio in Brixton that I went down to and we had a jam, they were all reggae guys. I got to know the engineer and he got me loads of work. The first thing I did was an Ultrabrite advert when I was nineteen.

It was just a fluke, I never set out to be a session man. When I went out to America and the band split, the same thing, I met a producer who got me on loads of things and he would pay me in cash. Since then I’ve played on things like Girls Aloud’s first album and a few pop records. It’s always been through people I know. It’s sad but it seems how most entertainment industry things work. Then again you tend to make your own luck and determination.

How does it work when you do session work? Does the producer give you instructions on how they want the guitar to sound?
It’s literally like that. You sit there with the computer and it’s, “Can you play something that’s a bit like this?” or “Can you do an American power ballad guitar there?” Nowadays with computers you can just through a lot of shit at stuff. It depends on the producer. I’ve done some work on a Robert Wyatt tracks and a Boy George track as well. The Girls Aloud thing, it was just an engineer and a lot of banter, and when I heard the record and heard my bits I thought, “Oh yeah, I can just about tell it’s me.”

Do you do that surf guitar bit in Sound of the Underground?
I couldn’t tell at first what was me and was wasn’t. It’s a really weird feeling. It’s cut up and pasted all over the shop. At the time I didn’t realise what it was going to be, they had just come out and I wasn’t watching Pop Idol. I did a few other things for that. To be really honest when I did that I wasn’t driving at the time and I lived in Eastwood. I used to get a bus back from Buxton where I used to do the recording, my mate had a studio there, and I remember coming back from doing a load of that stuff and thinking “is this it?”

I think it’s the thing of not playing with any musicians. I don’t even think there’s many musicians on the record, it’s mainly all samples. I’ve got no problem with that but it’s not great fun if you play guitar and you and stuck in front of a computer. It’s also great but I did feel a bit demoralised, I thought, “Is this where music is going?” Then obviously when it came out it was on the radio all of the time and I thought it was great.

Tell me about your involvement with Olive?
I had a friend, when I was doing the TC Lethbridge stuff and had moved back to England, that worked at BMG. She asked me if I would be up for helping to get a band together with these three people that had started a band and started making a record. I got involved at that point. I met them and they were dead nice, they lived in Sheffield and Buxton. I was in Julian’s band at the time and doing TC Lethbridge, so I was living in Wiltshire, but I just got interested because drum n’ bass was new music to me. You would hear it coming out of bedroom windows.

We released You’re Not Alone and I think it got to something like 42 in the charts, and I thought that was amazing. Then Paul Oakenfold did a remix of it. I remember we were on tour in a splitter van, it was a Sunday when they do the chart run down - on the Wednesday we were told that it might go Top Ten - then early on the morning the manager called and said that it was going to be Number One. It was Number One for two weeks running. #

We were on Richard and Judy, the National Lottery show, every fucking thing, and it kind of killed the band and we sort of split up after that. People were arguing about writing credits and things like that as well. It was ace, we were on Top Of The Pops about four times. The alarm would go off and it would be on the radio or you would get in a taxi and it would be playing. Then the next song called Outlaw when to number 14.

I left the band to go on tour with Julian, who I was already playing with anyway, but he was writing a book and had no problem with me doing something else. I joined Spiritualized during that time as well. Quite a lot of time passed between playing Coachella and recording an album at Abbey Road and Air Studios (all with Spiritualized), and I got a call from Tim (Kellett) saying they were going to do another Olive tour in America.

I finished recording the Spiritualized album and went straight on tour with Olive who at the time were just a two-piece, the singer and keyboard player, and had signed to Madonna’s record label. I never really joined the band I was just helping them out. They are wicked people. Even though I was interested in it and that kind of music, I soon realised it wasn’t what I really wanted to do. It wasn’t challenging for me and all the record label wanted was another hit. It wasn’t that kind of band, we would play at raves and stuff. People think “that crap pop band” but actually we were quite out there. I’m probably trying to big it up really…

As a session musician how many big hits have you played on?
I think I’ve played on quite a few top ten records in the time I’ve been doing it. Stuff like Samantha Mumba and a few others that I don’t know whether I should mention. I’ve done all sorts. I’ve recorded with Kate Moss. I’ve recorded nursery rhyme albums. I’ve always been a professional musician and my dad was from the background of always working and I’ve always had a work ethic. Not in the way of prostitutitng myself, I’ve always been lucky enough not to do that really, but I have done some pretty ‘prostitute’ things. If someone says, “Here’s five hundred quid and it’s easy to do”.

I’m from Bestwood, I never thought that I would do what I’ve done. I just love music, I’ve never got bored of it and I’m more deeper in to than I have ever been. The actual art of making music I’m totally in to. It was TS Elliot that said, “If you are doing art after the age of 25 you are obviously not doing it just to get laid.” Although I don’t think I ever did that, it would never have worked anyway.

You’ve always been very generous with your time helping out local musicians…
One of the reasons I got the studio is that I love recording as much as playing. Too much of one drives me mad. I just get a lot of joy out of people who have got a lot of soul and I get excited by other people’s music massively.

I guess Jake Bugg is the most notable one you have worked with?
He came down and I played some harmonica and a bit of lap steel, it was just to help out really, I just provided the studio. I played on some of his stuff. Jason Hart his manager is a really good friend of mine. He helped me out once, played some Spiritualized gigs when I couldn’t do them, because of Julian again. We’ve been good friends since then and he was using the studio and said he had this guy called Jake who was really good. As soon as I checked him out I thought “wow”.

Jay just put his heart and soul in to it. He’s not egotistical at all like a manager, he’s just a musician. He’s took it on board really well. Jason totally wanted to really passionately get him somewhere. He’s working with Georgie, and I know she’s been offered about ten record deals, so I think he’s done it again. When he was playing me Jake’s stuff and I would see what they were doing, it was so admirable his attitude. He could come across in a way as stand-offish, but I don’t think he is, it’s just his personality. It’s actually saved his life because the last thing you want to be is a lap dog to these people, because they will just have you.

Do you play on the Jake Bugg album?
I did start playing with him but it was one of those things where I got really busy, which then enabled Jason and those guys to use the studio. I got asked to play a gig not so long ago but it didn’t work out. I would love to, I hope it happens again, I think he’s awesome. The first time I met him and the thing that made me think that he was really ace was I was playing some harmonica on one of his tracks.

It was an answer and call, so he sings something and then I play. But there was no vocal on it yet and I said, “How can I answer your call when there’s no call, can you do a quick guide call?” He was very teenager-ish and said, “If I’ve got to do it I’m only going to do it once” to Jason. He goes downstairs and does the most fantastic vocal and it was like, “You don’t need to do that again.”

Do you like to keep your ear to the ground in Nottingham to see what’s going on?
I try to through the studio and friends. I must admit that I am quite busy with Spiritualized, then I’ve got this place, and a kid and family, I don’t get to go out as much in Nottingham. I tend to see most bands when I play festivals or if I’m tour I’ll go and see a band on my day off. I wouldn’t say I’ve got my ear to the ground, I wish I did, I’m always wanting someone to come in here and be the new Elvis or whatever.

Sometimes I think I should make the effort to go out in Nottingham more. But I meet people from all over, not just in Nottingham, like this week I’ve got a guy in from Glasgow. I love a lot of Nottingham musicians. A lot of the older ones I like, people like Ben Bennett who made an album in here, it’s just brilliant timeless music; Harry Stephenson, who is a bit of Nottingham legend and on the Dire Straits song that goes “but Harry doesn’t mind” that’s him - he was on Stiff Records years ago. He did an album here with a few other people I work with like Wayne Evans the bass player from Gaffa.

These are all older and when I was a kid these were the bands and I love working with those guys. When they get in here it’s like everyone is sixteen again, you have the same arguments, moan about the same things, mainly the girlfriends or wives, and you realise that people just really love music. There’s a girl called Tiger Cohen-Towell who is really good, I’m hoping to record her again soon, she’s just amazing. I’ll record them, but someone like Jason will then take them and do his thing.

Can you explain your collaboration with the artist Wolfgang Buttress?
He’s an amazing artist from Nottingham. He asked me and Kevin from Spiritualized to compose some music for the World Expo 2015 in Milan. It’s to do with mans’ relationship with bees. We got Amina from Iceland, the Sigur Ros string section, because me and Jason work with them, J-Spaceman is on it, Youth from Killing Joke, John Coxon from Spring Heel Jack, and this amazing cellist Deirdre who helped us compose some of it, and Wolfgang’s daughter does a bit of singing. Everyone who contributed really gave something and it’s just grown. He designed this hive and it reacts with a beehive in Nottingham over the internet - it’s got these LED lights.

We did the music but it’s just got legs; we met Jeff Barrett from Heavenly Records last week and they want to put it out. The other day there was 18,000 people at the British Pavilion listening to it. I think a download is coming out soon and it’s coming out on vinyl. We did a flexi disc of it. We are going to do a gig. We were going to do it in Milan, but we are hopefully going to do it in Nottinghamshire this summer. Real World, Peter Gabriel’s label, are also interested in putting it out. We did it in here and we really enjoyed it. We were using real bee sounds that have never been recorded before. They were recorded on these accelerometers that cost thousands of pounds.

How did you get involved in Deerstock?
I did a charity gig for a friend of mine for Mencap at the Boat Club. He asked me if I could get a band of people together to do it. I had Baz from The Fratellis, my friend who plays with Selecta and now Spiritualized, Kev Bales, the saxophone player from Beautiful South, people like that from professional bands. I had different singers from local bands.

We would do a Sex Pistols song and then Money by Pink Floyd and it was brilliant. Jed who puts Deerstock on asked us. We always rehearse on the day of the gig. Last year we had the singer Vince Eager and did a rock n’ roll set, then we did a Who set with my brother Roy Foster who is a singer around town. It’s just so much fun. Jed is such a lovely guy, I love people who are that positive.

I want you to quickly tell me about a few of your projects:

Brain Donor…
Really miss it, I love it.

Dogntank…
Definitely doing a new album at some point. I’m working on it all of the time.

TC Lethbridge…
We’ve been trying to go on tour. We were going to Festival Number 6 but because of Spiritualized commitment we can’t, but are definitely going to something later in the year.

Doggen’s Allstar Band play Deerstock Music Festival, Friday 24 - Sunday 26 July 2015.

Deerstock website
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

Thanks everyone who found this. Very interesting interview, he gives a much more detailed insight into his life and work compared with Jason's typically modest and unforthcoming nature. I don't really know much about Julian Cope, though I liked his song "World Shut Your Mouth" when I was a kid. It was fascinating to read what an odd character he has become. I still don't quite understand this business regarding Muslims and wearing burkhas - is it something that ended up in the news or the music press?

All the biographical information was interesting. He obviously worked very hard to get where he is today. It's good to read how committed he is to Jason and Spiritualized. I would imagine such a talented, versatile and well-connected musician could easily earn much better money, working in some more commercial environment. - I would really miss his bluesy-psych guitar, if a less exciting player replaced him, like some of the session folks who played after Sean Cooke, Damon Reece and Mike Mooney were dropped by Jason.

Curious that he makes it sound like they did a lot of recording for the new album with Youth, whilst not mentioning at all the issues Jason previously hinted at. I hope the full story comes out one day. Originally when Jason mentioned working with Tony Visconti as an external producer, I liked the idea as I really like what he did with Dean & Britta's two brilliant albums. Then to hear the external producer was some old bloke who likes Culture Club and Gay George and uses his pseudonym with no apparent irony, I didn't like the sound of it. However Jason seems to have a knack of finding and working well with other collaborators - so it was easy to trust his judgement. I guess one can forgive him that one mistake, if it was or still is a mistake ... or if it was just some much ado about nothing!
Dave Chappelle
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

yep in my opinion that's a better and more informative interview than I can remember Jason giving! great stuff.
Jason always comes across as quite guarded in interviews- not giving much away.
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

Funnily enough, someone asked J on Friday night about the new album and mentioned 'Youth' and he said he thought everyone knew the real story about what had happened? Interesting to hear he played bass on the album though, or maybe that will be coming off? Who knows. The interviews out there suggest he was put in touch with Youth via his new management and he wanted to record in Spain which J never wanted to do. All sounds like it was an idea that didn't really work out.

My stab in the dark is that Youth perhaps wanted to produce a well respected band to get his name back on the scene, and or take credit for making a great record?
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

simonkeeping wrote:Funnily enough, someone asked J on Friday night about the new album and mentioned 'Youth' and he said he thought everyone knew the real story about what had happened? Interesting to hear he played bass on the album though, or maybe that will be coming off? Who knows. The interviews out there suggest he was put in touch with Youth via his new management and he wanted to record in Spain which J never wanted to do. All sounds like it was an idea that didn't really work out.

My stab in the dark is that Youth perhaps wanted to produce a well respected band to get his name back on the scene, and or take credit for making a great record?
That's quite frustrating to hear - surely the next obvious question would be "so what did happen?"

I agree as mentioned above, Jason does come across as very guarded when he's interviewed. I suppose whether deliberate or not, it helps create a mystique around him, which is a quality many great artists have exploited to some degree throughout history.
Dave Chappelle
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

i read it as a name producer wanting to do a quick easy job and the artist wanting to take his time- as with the engineer on a&e who woyuld sometimes be waiting for his tea which j had gone off to make and had fallen asleep. i'm guessing it was just a culture clash. frustrating for all involved, us included, i think

simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

The Dr wrote: as with the engineer on a&e who woyuld sometimes be waiting for his tea which j had gone off to make and had fallen asleep. i'm guessing it was just a culture clash. frustrating for all involved, us included, i think
This sounds amazing, I've never heard this before? Tell me more!
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

simonkeeping wrote:
The Dr wrote: as with the engineer on a&e who woyuld sometimes be waiting for his tea which j had gone off to make and had fallen asleep. i'm guessing it was just a culture clash. frustrating for all involved, us included, i think
This sounds amazing, I've never heard this before? Tell me more!
interviews around songs in A&E jason was talking about the medication and process that thankfully saved his life he said he didn't tell the engineer what was happening as they were recording it in jason's house so jason would go to put the kettle on and then fall asleep and wake up a few (maybe less- i can't remember exactly) hours later and remember what he was supposed to be doing and then go downstairs (or however his house is) and the guy would still be sat there waiting. i'm sure this site has the interviews if you want to find them! but the engineer seems to have found it strange but stuck with it but maybe a 'name' producer etc would want to work his way and not cut slack for that kind (i'm not saying it still happens) of behaviour but i think it was let it come down where jason kept falling out of bed as he was so tierd from his obession with the album that his wife(?) said 'you need to sort this out or i'm leaving' (or something along those lines) so he took a matress to the studio and slept there!

The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

something tells me the story relates to shsl (and i think i am right in saying it was shsl) not a&e so please forgive any innacuracies in the album it was!

scarecrowz
Known user

Post by scarecrowz »

The Dr wrote:something tells me the story relates to shsl (and i think i am right in saying it was shsl) not a&e so please forgive any innacuracies in the album it was!
Yes, it was SHSL - http://www.theguardian.com/music/2012/a ... r-was-gone
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

scarecrowz wrote:
The Dr wrote:something tells me the story relates to shsl (and i think i am right in saying it was shsl) not a&e so please forgive any innacuracies in the album it was!
Yes, it was SHSL - http://www.theguardian.com/music/2012/a ... r-was-gone
thank you!

anyone else thinking there are too many neardeath stories around his albums as of late :?

angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

a pedant corrects- the mattress he bought during the LICD sessions was for when he was falling out of bed, not for sleeping in the studio.
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

angelsighs wrote:a pedant corrects- the mattress he bought during the LICD sessions was for when he was falling out of bed, not for sleeping in the studio.
I wasn’t sleeping. I was taking a lot of barbiturates, anything to put me to sleep. My girlfriend was pregnant with my first child, and I kept falling out of bed every night, hurting myself, getting more and more fucked up. She said, “If you don’t fucking sort this out, I’m leaving you.” So the next day I went out and bought a mattress that would break my fall…
Read more at http://www.uncut.co.uk/blog/the-view-fr ... 5jQi8yj.99
seems i didn't do a very good job eh?

heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

Didn't they have mattresses in the studio when they were making The Perfect Prescription? Maybe that's where you got that idea from?
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

Did anyone see the Spiritualized Facebook and Twitter plugging the new Killing Joke album yesterday.It suggests Youth is still on the new Spiritualized album in some way?
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

heisenberg wrote:Didn't they have mattresses in the studio when they were making The Perfect Prescription? Maybe that's where you got that idea from?
sorry, i thought i replied. yes! that's the one. thank you!

sm-iom
Known user

Post by sm-iom »

heisenberg wrote:Did anyone see the Spiritualized Facebook and Twitter plugging the new Killing Joke album yesterday.It suggests Youth is still on the new Spiritualized album in some way?
Looks like tweet was deleted! :lol:
mh
Known user

Post by mh »

sm-iom wrote:
heisenberg wrote:Did anyone see the Spiritualized Facebook and Twitter plugging the new Killing Joke album yesterday.It suggests Youth is still on the new Spiritualized album in some way?
Looks like tweet was deleted! :lol:
It's still on Facebook.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

"Been working with Killing Joke: Official's Youth on the next record. They have an album out today, and it's worth your time."

This is the line from the Oct. 23rd Facebook post. This is definitely confusing. Is it possible Jason has reconnected with Youth or is the person in charge of the FB past just totally out of the loop?
suskind
Known user

Post by suskind »

Not sure this was posted in another thread but..
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

There seems to be something wrong with the image you posted. I can't see anything.
runaway
Known user

Post by runaway »

It's a recent pic of Jason at Snap Studios in London w/ Guy Massey (Let It Come Down). Interesting...
slide_song
Known user

Post by slide_song »

clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

impatient! can we have a new album please! it's nearly four years since huh? so got to be about time?!

wonder if we'll see any festival dates this year
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

There's a new pic up on Massey's Twitter (4th of March) of Jason and Doggen messing with a guitar. Guessing their still in the midst of recording and the album is nowhere near done.
Multi
Known user

Post by Multi »

heisenberg wrote:There's a new pic up on Massey's Twitter (4th of March) of Jason and Doggen messing with a guitar. Guessing their still in the midst of recording and the album is nowhere near done.
I'd rather they take their time and come back with an intricate masterpiece, over everything Amazing Grace on.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

mc wrote:Another one from Saturday:

https://twitter.com/guy_massey/status/7 ... 8928948224
Is that a Firebird next to the Fender on the seat? I wonder if John Coxon is also involved?
Dave Chappelle
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

heisenberg wrote:There's a new pic up on Massey's Twitter (4th of March) of Jason and Doggen messing with a guitar. Guessing their still in the midst of recording and the album is nowhere near done.

They're*. Sorry but that was an annoying typo.

Isn't the mixing process usually the longest part in the making of a Spiritualized album?
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

It's possible that they are mixing, but decided they needed to lay down an additional guitar part. It's not abnormal to do bits of tracking during the mixing process, but I'm speaking in general terms and from personal experience. I have no insider knowledge of how Pierce's recording and mixing processes work.
Last edited by TheWarmth on Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

clewsr wrote:impatient! can we have a new album please! it's nearly four years since huh? so got to be about time?!

wonder if we'll see any festival dates this year

compared to stanley kubrik he is proliffic

jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

That's a bit harsh. Kubrick's been dead for nearly 20 years.

Paths of Glory was a great film.
Didn't know he made records too..
gonna burn brightly
for a while
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

hmm...reading back my quote it sounds a bit petulant... I'm not that impatient, its good to see there is some activity in camp Spiritualized.
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

jack white wrote:That's a bit harsh. Kubrick's been dead for nearly 20 years.

Paths of Glory was a great film.
Didn't know he made records too..
the rolling stones have been dead for longer 8) :wink:

Rinker
Known user

Post by Rinker »

JJ1977 wrote:Interesting interview and album news - no more Youth

I wrote that interview
Jason was in a great mood, really polite, very chatty. He really wasn't buying into the Grateful Dead music I tried pushing at him though :lol:
Glad so many people seemed to like it.
I agree the Spacemen 3 question was a bit clumsy. I didn't really want to ask him anything about Spacemen 3, but my editor would have killed me had I not. He's already said anything that needs to be said on that matter IMO
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

Youth on his five favourite albums

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2016/f ... ive-albums

urban hymns
ended up one of the best-sounding records I’ve ever done - due mainly to Chris Potter who engineered and mixed it. He aced that one.

my best work was done by someone else...hmmm