The Heads in London - April 8th

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

James T
Known user

The Heads in London - April 8th

Post by James T »

http://www.thelexington.co.uk/event?id=2965

Wednesday, April 08
The Heads, Salope - The Heavy Heads DIsco
7.30pm adv £10
THE HEADS. Live at last!!!
THEIR FIRST LONDON SHOW SINCE APRIL 2010. This is a Warm up show for their Roadburn 2015 performance.
Support from Salope / DJs The Heavy Heads Disco.

http://www.wegottickets.com/event/306708
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Re: The Heads in London - April 8th

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Finally, I get to see them. Ticket purchased :D
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Ordered. First time since Koko. 8)
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

so are The Heads worth a hotel stay and train etc??.. (I think I know what the answer is..)
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

angelsighs wrote:so are The Heads worth a hotel stay and train etc??.. (I think I know what the answer is..)
No they are rubbish. Stay home and listen to a Max Bygraves LP for more fun :D

Don't ask silly questions!! You have PM which saves me sending a txt.
plastic37
Known user

Post by plastic37 »

angelsighs wrote:so are The Heads worth a hotel stay and train etc??.. (I think I know what the answer is..)
I did exactly that in 2008 or something and didn't regret it.
Heavy Tourism
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Great news but, man, why can these things never be on a Friday or Saturday night?! Train to and back from London on a school night is getting harder and harder as I get older :oops:
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Shinesalight wrote:Great news but, man, why can these things never be on a Friday or Saturday night?! Train to and back from London on a school night is getting harder and harder as I get older :oops:
Man Up ya great soft lump :wink: . You need to get into training for going to both days of the LPF this year :twisted: .
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

okay I've been pressganged into going to this ;) .. should be good.. I've never seen them before
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

olan wrote:Man Up ya great soft lump :wink: . You need to get into training for going to both days of the LPF this year :twisted: .
Ticket purchased....no one calls me a great soft lump! :wink: :lol:
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Shinesalight wrote:
olan wrote:Man Up ya great soft lump :wink: . You need to get into training for going to both days of the LPF this year :twisted: .
Ticket purchased....no one calls me a great soft lump! :wink: :lol:
Pressgang 2 Outpatient Nonbelievers/Southern Softies 0 :lol:
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Hmmm....if i wasn't going to the Mary Chain next month i'd definitely go to this. As it is, i'm not sure I can afford three trips to England in one year. Then again I am off college all that week so maybe...just maybe...

Anyone in England...well you've no excuse :wink:
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Damn gutted about this... I would have definitely came down for this but its the week our daughter is due to give birth to our first grandchild and I REALLY think I should be here for her. Or so I need to keep telling myself... :(
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

sunray wrote:Hmmm....if i wasn't going to the Mary Chain next month i'd definitely go to this. As it is, i'm not sure I can afford three trips to England in one year. Then again I am off college all that week so maybe...just maybe...

I suspect it will be a very, very long time before you get another chance Joycey. I would go if it is possible.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Laz69 wrote:Damn gutted about this... I would have definitely came down for this but its the week our daughter is due to give birth to our first grandchild and I REALLY think I should be here for her. Or so I need to keep telling myself... :(
Congratulations! That is a truely wonderful bit of news. (Makes me feel younger too!)
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

olan wrote:
sunray wrote:Hmmm....if i wasn't going to the Mary Chain next month i'd definitely go to this. As it is, i'm not sure I can afford three trips to England in one year. Then again I am off college all that week so maybe...just maybe...

I suspect it will be a very, very long time before you get another chance Joycey. I would go if it is possible.
if ever?... I got the impression recently that the band were going to split soon?
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

**SOLD OUT**
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Lexington only holds 200. this is gonna be intense.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Just working out my travel. Who else is popping along to this?
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

I shall be present. Olan, Angelsighs and shinesalight also in attendance.

This may get a little messy :)
citizensmurf
Known user

Post by citizensmurf »

I'm flying across the ocean to see them at Roadburn (among others acts), so yes a train and hotel is worth it.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

starting to think about accommodation etc for this.
anyone got any suggestions for good (well, cheap) hotels near the venue?
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

angelsighs wrote:starting to think about accommodation etc for this.
anyone got any suggestions for good (well, cheap) hotels near the venue?
Dave Caldwell gave me details of a joint near Paddington. It is cheap, but as I am now working in London that week ( :lol: ) I am going to stay somewhere a less spartan.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

I really need to get back to Manchester after the show cause it's gonna be hard to get time off from the new job. Hope I can do it.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Confirmation that I can now make this for sure. Train tickets booked and entry sorted. 8)
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

James T wrote:Confirmation that I can now make this for sure. Train tickets booked and entry sorted. 8)
Good news. Looking forward to catching up :D
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Seriously looking forward to it. I'll be in London from 4pm so if anyone is around, lets make plans!
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

got my trains and hotel sorted too. It's on.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

If the album for RDS should miraculously make an early appearance on the merch stall would some kind soul grab a copy for me please? Thanks :)

Hope everyone receives the desired sonic assault. Enjoy!
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

sunray wrote:If the album for RDS should miraculously make an early appearance on the merch stall would some kind soul grab a copy for me please? Thanks :)

Hope everyone receives the desired sonic assault. Enjoy!
I have made the usual RSD arrangements for you. I was keeping it as a surprise. I will charge P&P at the usual rate. You may ply me with beer at LPF in September :D .
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

For Those About To Rock...

Hope The Heads are suitably heavy tonight and bring London to its knees... :wink:
O P 8
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

I am very Happy for all of you who were able to make it to the show; I would have loved to had seen and heard it, maybe there will be many Great Descriptions of it all.
"Everything is a Poison; it is the amount or degree that separates one Poison from another"
Paracelsus
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

It was great. My head hurts. And my ears. Full review to follow by myself and no doubt, many others. Good to see everyone and meet some new like minded chaps too. Anyone get the set list?
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

My ears are totally shredded today...

It was a great night for many reasons. Seeing those 4 musicians on stage was one hell of a buzz and they delivered a set of ridiculous ferocity. I don't know any band as intense live. Having said that some obvious rustiness was noticeable, but then I believe only 4 proper rehearsals took place, so they did very well with that in mind. I'll also say the sound system in The Lexington just couldn't cope. Paul's guitar was insanely loud to the point the sound bled into over-saturation. He needs to be loud of course but just to turn everything right up wasn't how to do it.

But what the hell - by the 3rd track I grabbed my companion and said 'I don't care what they play as it's all so good'. A set of old favourites was the order of the day, so among others we got Quad, U33, Fuego, Cardinal Fuzz, Legavaan Satellite (never heard that played live ever) and set closer Spliff Riff. The highlight was a mid-paced jam of solid and controlled power. with Hugo's bass holding everything together while Simon and Paul added massive layers of guitar. It was classic Heads complete with head-fuck light show. Everyone I could see was head-bobbing along with lots of big grins and there was a great atmosphere as the crowd really seemed to love it. The absence of those guys as a 4 piece would be a real tragedy for me. Absolutely no one delivers like that. They all said they enjoyed themselves and that it it felt good to be on stage together so who knows what will happen after their appearance at Roadburn. I'm just glad I was there to witness that carnage last night and it was well worth the 20 hours I spent in London, which isn't my favourite place.

Hats off to the forumites I hooked up with - James T, Angelsighs, Olan, Aquarian Time, Shinesalight, Um... did I miss anyone? A great bunch and really nice to bounce so many musical tales about - both in the pub before and downstairs at the venue. Also great to meet some old friends from Bristol I'd not seen for years, and the band were as sweet as ever.

Not easy to get any decent piccies but this one, from my phone, rather sums up the intensity in that room...
Attachments
WP_20150408_21_44_22_Pro.jpg
WP_20150408_21_44_22_Pro.jpg (126.76 KiB) Viewed 7855 times
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Such a brilliant night! Great to catch up with so many people, and the gig was sensational. A slow start, but by the 3rd track is was blistering and it just got better and better. I didn't want it to end, but at the same time I'm not sure my body could cope with more than an hour, my ears are screwed!
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

Sounds effing fabulous.
Wish they could play over here!
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Yeah, such a top night. Great to catch up with the usual suspects last night (and Runcible too :wink: ) and the gig itself was immense. Like others have said, it'd be such a shame if this was to be the last hooray but, if it is, at least I got to be a part of it. I was stood at the back, (next to Dave W and Ego Sensation of White Hills no less....who very much seemed to be totally in to it!), and although the sound was a bit shaky in places, the atmosphere and sheer blistering noise more than made up for it. The set just built and built and by the end they were on fire. Gutted I had to leg it to get my train back to Brighton as I'm sure the fun carried on after the gig.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Did everyone see that lady who flew over from Japan for the gig? The band were speechless!
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

can't really add much to the comments here- top night, the band took a while to build up a head of steam but were a well oiled machine by the end of the set!

gutted we missed the start of the show though, due to being misinformed about stage times :(

and the queue for the merch stand was pretty amusing.. Heads merch is a licence to print money!
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

angelsighs wrote: and the queue for the merch stand was pretty amusing.. Heads merch is a licence to print money!
Was there anything of interest on sale? Such as a new T shirt design, limited tour edition cds etc...? Some rare records found in the garden shed?
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

The merch stall was insanity. It was manned by Rocket legend Simon Healey who I hadn't seen for years, so that was another big plus on the whole evening. Brilliant guy...

They had the RSD double LP - except the ones they had were white vinyl which are mega limited. Standard RSD is black. Only £20 each.

Also the Everybody Knows reissue - they had different coloured vinyl for the double LP than what is normally available. In addition they had the box set - again with different coloured vinyl to the normal.

Also rare Anthroprophh tour CDs.

Chuck in posters, tote bags, CDs etc. The price list was 2 pages of typed A4 in not very big font. It took some time to read it. I think all the stuff they had was normally priced too. I only bought the RSD white vinyl - otherwise I'd have gone nuts.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Aaaaargh!!!!!!!!!! Just as I feared.
Oh well, maybe there'll be some items put up on their facebook page at some point. Any idea what the cd's were? I'm missing the 'Irrepressible Heads' and the first two Rituals cd's.

Would've liked a white vinyl Nobody Knows, a poster and Anthroprophh cd. Although I think the latter is getting a reprint in a week or two.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

They didn't have any of those mega rare Rooster CDs, just the more recent reissues. But the coloured vinyl Everybody Knows were very tempting - they were labelled as 'band copies'...
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

I've managed to grab the audio of both the Roadburn sets and Kandodo's set too for anyone that's interested. Just MP3 format (sorry purists). I'll try and split up the tracks over the next day or so and share them out.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

yeah the merch desk was very well stocked. they didn't have the Everybody Knows.. 2CD I wanted, but I can get that anywhere really. I did get the Anthroprophh one.
it really was a great night. as always, good to spend time with people on the same musical wavelength.
I really don't know why The Heads don't tour more. one date in London only is crazy.
from our brief encounters with them they seemed genuinely humble guys too- maybe they just aren't driven enough to really push it and capitalize on the psych revival! (and the fact they reportedly don't get on that well probably doesn't help! ;) )
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Yep was great, top night and an ambition finally realised in getting to see them in allk their ear splitting glory.

And yeah fire those mp3's on here as soon as you like :D
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

One of the Roadburn sets: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJ2yjh-CmNA

Don't know what it sounds like as my laptop won't let me hear it :? Looks nice though :D
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

For those who are interested, the link below has both Heads sets and the Kandodo set from Roadburn this year.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/69eaqp8qpmwa ... 2XM8a?dl=0
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Cheers Laz :D