Rock Family Trees

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

Dreamweapon
Known user

Rock Family Trees

Post by Dreamweapon »

Sorry if this should go in 'Other' or even 'Spacemen 3' given the groups origins (mods please feel free to move post if required).

Had an idea - some of you may be aware of Pete Frame and his Rock Family Trees. Given the genesis of Spacemen 3 and all the other associated groups, thought it might be fun if anyone hgad the time/software/knowledge of how to do this to produce a Spacemen 3/Spz/Darkside/EAR/Slipstream/Spectrum/Alpha Stone/Lupine Howl/Psychedlic Ubik/The Flies/ Freelovebabies etc etc family tree to see how various members have entered/left/stayed in the various groups.
plastic37
Known user

Re: Rock Family Trees

Post by plastic37 »

Great idea.
There's enough material for a good TV programme.
Heavy Tourism
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

sounds good. I think there is a section on the spz wikipedia page that charts the various musicians in the band at different times. But something that tied everything together would be quite an undertaking.

BTW I recently filled the gaps in my slipstream connection. (slightly sheepish that there were any before really). Great set of albums. A bit poppier than any of the other spacemen3 offshoots. Good for daytime listening and the kids love them. (Psych for all the family?)
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

BMX Bandits did this (see link) for the release of the DVD a few years ago with A2 sized copies given away with the initial pre-orders. Its a hugely comprehensive spread of all the members and links to all the other bands from over the years. I think this would be pretty cool for Spacemen 3 too... anyone got any coloured markers and a big sheet of paper? :lol:

https://avrilcaddenblog.files.wordpress ... y-tree.jpg

I loved this when i got it... i can imagine the creative/artistic among us would be able to draft up a particularly psych/colourful type things for Spacemen and related.
plastic37
Known user

Post by plastic37 »

here's the Home of Metal version with all details of Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Judas Priest, Godflesh and Napalm Death.
[url][url]http://homeofmetal.com/family ... -in-stock/[/url][/url]
clewsr wrote:something that tied everything together would be quite an undertaking.
I intend to have a go at it!
Heavy Tourism
semisynthetic
Known user

Rock Family Trees

Post by semisynthetic »

I have a Book that folds out into larger pages called "Rock Family Trees" (as best as I can remember); and I will try to remember exactly where I put it; UNFORTUNATELY for me, I believe it is placed High Up and under some assorted boxes of other ephemera; IT IS A GREAT BOOK, however; even if it has been some time I perused it.

It was reasonably complete (at it's printing), hand written and quite neatly so; I would be very surprised if someone else on this SITE has not a copy in their Collection. I liked it for the mention of recordings less well known, among other details.
"Everything is a Poison; it is the amount or degree that separates one Poison from another"
Paracelsus
Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon »

This is a web copy of the insert that came in the Creation International Guardians Of Rock and Roll compilation a while back. Again, it's a really nice way of seeing the interrrealtionship between different bands and now members were often in more than one outfit:

http://www.creation-records.com/family-tree/

What I can't find, despite numerous searches on the web, is a template to use to create (no pun intended!) one's own.

As I mentioned earlier, have been reading the Erik Morse book, which is some piece of work, and had no idea how early some personnel were on the scene, and how much other groups such as The Tell Tale Hearts, Cogs of Tyme etc were intrinsic to the whole way that Spacemen 3, and subsequently Spiritualized etc evolved.

As an aside to this, also didn't realise how early Kate Radley was on the scene, nor that she was at school with Vinita who later went on to run Ché Records (Slipstream), who in turn under the Rocket Girl imprint did the Tribute To Spacemen 3 album, as well as stuff by Füxa, whose Randall went on to work with Sonic in Spectrum.

As I said, to see the whole interrealtionship together would provide a real insight.

I also had no idea from the book how other members really didn't get on. What is Pete Bain doing now? Is Nick Haydn still around? How about Johnny Mattock? Richard Formby? The list could go on............
plastic37
Known user

Post by plastic37 »

It;s cold and wet in Birmingham so i have been having a go at this.
Dreamweapon wrote:What I can't find, despite numerous searches on the web, is a template to use to create (no pun intended!) one's own.
The software i am using is an HB retractable pencil, a ruler, a rubber & some small postit notes.

I'm pleased with it so far.

This is another great family tree tyrpo piece of work
http://mapofmetal.com/#/home
Heavy Tourism
Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon »

I guess I let my self in for that comment!!

Is there actually the ability to use any software to edit an existing 'Rock Family Tree' to rejig it for a different set of interconnected bands? I guess Pete Frame will have trademarket his, so may not be possible to do, and I wouldn't wish recriminations on anyone....
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

A quick search found the following website which may give some ideas to templates available.

http://www.familytreetemplates.net/category/nographics

I think the easiest software would probably be Microsoft's Visio or something along those lines which will give you the structure (boxes, labels, etc) but also the flexibility to move things about in the layout of it all.
Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon »

Did anything ever come of this? Seemed to get some enthusiastic responses at the time....
Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon »

I'm currently re-reading Erik Morse's book and this popped into my head again. Did anyone have any luck with this idea I put forward a while ago? plastic37 was going to have a go and Laz69 mentioned the software. Just curious as it would be nice to see how all the various band members interrelate even from those early days of The Push, and Indian Scalp, Tell Tale Hearts as well as when they were just Spacemen. It's also interesting again to see just how many people were on the peripheries of Spacemen 3 so early.