Low

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

runaway
Known user

Low

Post by runaway »

Just an appreciation thread for a band that might be under appreciated. I first got into them at the start of the century with Things We Lost In The Fire (possibly my favorite of theirs) and Trust. Interest started to wane and I fell victim to the critical consensus that they were overly simplistic and "samey". Enthusiasm picked up again when I heard 2013's The Invisible Way - such a great album and one of that year's best, imo. I've since revisited some of the albums I ignored over the years and I'm just amazed at the band's subtle progression. My latest obsession is C'mon (from 2011).

(From C'mon)-
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Re: Low

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Over to you James T :D

I love them personally, i dip in and out of the entire back catalogue freqiently and I only find the last album to be a little below par. Couldn't say which album is my fave but currently I would go with Secret Name
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Well, I think we all know I'm a huge fan. Seen them over 40 times I reckon now in numerous countries and have been fortunate enough to build a good friendship with them where we speak regularly and always catch up whenever there is a tour. Incredible band. I recently uploaded a collection of my setlists along with little bits to go with...
https://www.pinterest.com/JVTravis/low-setlists/
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

There is a new album and tour coming up also, the tracks sound to be to be their best since Trust.
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

I was at 4 of those shows as I see it plus I had tickets for Leeds City hall but was let down by a guy who was making a habit of it, so crossed him off my friends list after that. Always wondered what that song was they played at Halifax Minster Hall, I had the lyrics scribbled down but could never find it. Now I know, Tomorrow One.

I was also at Liverpool (that was awesome), Manch Academy 3, and Manch Bar Academy. Not sure if you have the Manchester set from that gig they did at that random place on Oldham St on Invisible Way tour? Weird gig for me that
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

I do have the setlist for that too!

Tomorrow One is from the vinyl version of Curtain Hits The Cast. They never play it, only when I pester them! I remember them initially getting it wrong and restarting, saying "that's what you get for trying to please a friend". Anyway, enough of my tales and fandom!

What are everyone favourites? Tomorrow One and Stars Gone Out are my top tracks.
runaway
Known user

Post by runaway »

I love their version of I Started A Joke.
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Words,Violence, Cue The Strings, Two Step, Silver Rider,Especially Me. To name but a few
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

They opened for Slowdive late last year and played what I believe was some new material. It was pretty awesome, as I recall. Quite heavy.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

There are some good boots from those shows with Slowdive!

I also love the version of I Started a Joke, Mim has an incredible voice especially for a track like that.
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

For me, I like the first album for its extremely simplistic and hypnotic aesthetic. Great guitar sound too. I also like C'mon (I think that is a pretty underrated album). They do some good covers, too. I like their take on the Bee Gees song, and their version of Long Long Long (you could argue that, to some degree, Low are a typical example of a band 'invented' by that song way back in '68).

I saw them play in 2013 in Glasgow and the venue was packed out. They were great.

I genuinely believe everyone can love even just a small handful of Low songs.
runaway
Known user

Post by runaway »

Today in the mail I got Drums And Guns - part of my campaign to fill the missing gaps in their catalog. The (CD) packaging is interesting and impressive. After being lulled by the easy approachability of the last couple albums I was almost shocked by how this one sounded - stark and almost electronic. Drum machines/loops? Very intriguing and certainly more "difficult" than what I've become accustomed to. Certain proof that the band hasn't stood still in regards to their recorded output over the (many) years.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Drums and Guns is the only Low album I don't like.
Not sure that I could pick a favourite but Trust or The Great Destroyer are probably the ones that get played the most.

I was at two of those gigs; Kilkenny Cathedral (where Spiritualized played the year after) and Dublin Andrew's Lane with Atlas Sound. Alan seemed quite cheesed off at that gig.

Noticed that they were due to play Lordy at Kilkenny, would've loved to have heard that there.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

I had an awful cough at that show and everyone was furious at me. (Andrews lane)