Tame Impala - New Track - Let It Happen (2015)

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

http://letithappen.tameimpala.com/

Anyone have a chance to give this a listen? It's available for free download, too.
Last edited by TheWarmth on Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Laz69
Known user

Re: Tame Impala - New Track - Let It Happen (2015)

Post by Laz69 »

I wasn't a fan of the last album at all after really enjoying their debut, but this again just isn't winning me over. I keep seeing them described as a psychedelic rock band when they actually sound so very far from that to my ears... :?
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

I can't get the track to download. Anyone got any idea how it works?

I think it's a good song. I'm a big fan of their work and I'm going to see them play in September.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

heisenberg wrote:I can't get the track to download. Anyone got any idea how it works?

I think it's a good song. I'm a big fan of their work and I'm going to see them play in September.

I like it. It's mellow and dreamy and sounds like Tame Impala.

heisenberg — right click and Download Linked File.
Design.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

The term "psych rock" shouldn't be limited to bands that sound like Wooden Shjips. I think this track is perfectly trippy. Lots of swirly stuff going on and repetition in spades. Plus, thank god, there are nice melodies, which so much psych-rock these days sorely lacks. I can see how it might be too electronic for some, but I liked it upon my first listen and will go back to it again soon.

I was never a fan of the early Tame Impala stuff because, as I have stated before, it sounds like a slightly more accessible version of Dungen, but they've been coming into their own sound with recent releases. I know a lot of people didn't like the first single from their last album, "Elephant," but I really dug it. The album didn't win me over, but I'm still open-minded. Maybe this one will blow me away.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

TheWarmth wrote:The term "psych rock" shouldn't be limited to bands that sound like Wooden Shjips. I think this track is perfectly trippy. .
totally agree with this. people can be too stringent with the definition of psych.
that said, I'm not feeling this track so much. it takes 8 minutes to kinda go nowhere. he wasn't joking about going more electronic and synthy it seems.

I though the first album was brilliant, the second slightly less so (although still very good)... he seemed to move slightly in a more synthy/less guitary direction there, which I don't like so much but I think that's just my personal taste. I can see that making a bigger differentiation from the Dungen influence though- good point.
debased
Known user

Post by debased »

My open-mindedness towards "Let It Happen" is quickly being challenged:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyEB2AEqHxc
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

I love me a bit of classic 80s era Hall & Oates...
O P 8
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

F#ck it, I`m open to that, nice stoned, summer vibe, other tracks a bit of a grower as well I think, quite interested in hearing the album now.
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

Let it Happen has really grown on me. That outro is just exquisite. I think the production is super tight too. Maybe my favourite new song of the year so far.

The new single, I'm not so sure about. Perhaps it will grow on me, but I've only played it once and don't have too much desire to hear it again. It hasn't dimmed my interest in the album, though.

It seems like this band is becoming more pop and commercial. So long as the songs are good though, I don't really mind.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

oh dear not feeling that new song.. sounds like Phil Collins!

I read an interview recently where he said one of his main influences was Supertramp.. :(
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

wasn't into 'cause i'm a man.' my wife kept begging me to turn it off. 'let it happen' was a little better, but i'm not into the smoother production at all- one of the things i liked about the production on 'lonerism' and 'innerspeaker' was the grittiness and immediacy of it.
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

angelsighs wrote:oh dear not feeling that new song.. sounds like Phil Collins!
:lol:
runaway
Known user

Post by runaway »

You're all wrong - my 14-year-old says it's totally buck (and I'm assuming that's good).
Hedspace
Known user

Post by Hedspace »

Much prefer inner speaker. Went off them after that but this will do nicely for those outdoor summer sessions
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

"Cause I'm A Man" is badass. I dig the Prince-ish groove. This might be the first Tame Impala album that I'm possessed to purchase.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

TheWarmth wrote:"Cause I'm A Man" is badass. I dig the Prince-ish groove. This might be the first Tame Impala album that I'm possessed to purchase.
well, there you go then. I guess when a band changes direction they lose an audience and gain another.

This new stuff just doesn't have the elements that originally got me into the band
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

I really like this song. It's closer to something like Lana Del Rey than any kind of psychedelic thing, but hey that's OK.

Their first album sounded like John Lennon fronting a space-rock band right?
O P 8
Luminescence
Known user

Post by Luminescence »

I really like 'Let it happen'. The first time I heard it, it made me sit up and listen and it's grown on me since.
Hey Jayne
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

BzaInSpace wrote:I really like this song. It's closer to something like Lana Del Rey than any kind of psychedelic thing, but hey that's OK.

Their first album sounded like John Lennon fronting a space-rock band right?
Not heard Tame Impala yet, but just thought I'd chime in with some love for the latest Lana Del Rey album. I have no idea why I bought it other than the fact it was £2.99 on iTunes - I guess I must have read something good about it - but it really is rather wonderful. She gets a lot of stick in the press from what I can gather, but she can sing a damn good song.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

mc wrote:
Not heard Tame Impala yet, but just thought I'd chime in with some love for the latest Lana Del Rey album. I have no idea why I bought it other than the fact it was £2.99 on iTunes - I guess I must have read something good about it - but it really is rather wonderful. She gets a lot of stick in the press from what I can gather, but she can sing a damn good song.
Yeah! Gotta say the radio version of 'West Coast' was neither here nor there really, but the full album version? Incredible. That recurring (!) tremolo drone is awesome, the Spacemen would be proud.

O P 8
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I'm assuming you guys are talking about the latest LDR album, Ultraviolence, right? I haven't heard that one, but I checked out the first one, which was pretty awful, barring a few of the standout singles. The single she released in between albums, "Ride," is fantastic. Maybe I should look into the new album.
runaway
Known user

Post by runaway »

She's hot.
:P
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

I keep reading amazing reviews of the new Currents album. Gave some tracks a listen on youtube and just don't get it, nor their previous stuff either. Is there love for them on here? To me it just sounds so flimsy and annoying and I can't see why they're top of the supposed new psych thang. Best review of the album so far http://www.tinymixtapes.com/music-revie ... a-currents
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

I like them a lot. At their best, the music is very melodic (can't say that for a lot of 'psych' or 'space' rock bands). Some cool grooves and great bass playing. His use of synths and effects is always very colourful and bright too. And for the Lennon vocal thing? I can hear it, but to me he just sounds like an Australian singing in falsetto with lots of echo.

I've heard bits and bobs of the new album. Don't think it will quite do what Lonerism did for me. Having said that, I'll still check it out and it'll probably still be streets ahead of most stuff coming out at the moment. I think if I'd only listened to snatches of Lonerism I might not have gotten into it, so I'd recommend listening to the whole thing as I don't think some tracks have the full impact listened to individually. Perhaps the same will be true for the new album too.

Let it Happen is by far my favourite song of the year, though. Sounds like Abba, MJ and Daft Punk jamming together. How can you not love that outro?
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

I'm enjoying the album and has been on heavy rotation at the office. Heisenberg you pretty much nailed it. It's like space disco in a very very good way.

:)

M
Design.
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

Nah, I've tried with Lonerism, but only got a couple of songs into it before finding it too annoying. I love melodic music but this just does nothing for me. I guess it's his voice, guitars twiddling away, the drums, the proggy.....well, everything really, very dull. Not my kind of 'groove' at all, way too clinical, but then that's his thing I guess. The new stuff sounds like something I'd expect to hear piping out over the speakers in H&M or something.
Last edited by johnnyboy on Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

I'm one the verge of selling my Tame Impala Lp's such is the dissapointment with the new stuff. Its really ordinary and I find them incredibly dull. Live I was also bored
very much like Holydrug Couple gig last week, which was seriously dull and a very limited band.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

yeah the new stuff is garbage to my ears. I'm all for supporting a band changing direction, but it's doing nothing for me at all.

I think he knows it's kind of an obvious move towards the mainstream with this one.
it just sounds so light.. where's the thick, weighty sound of the first two?

lets not be hasty and dismiss the first two albums though! Innerspeaker is still a fantastic album. I'd go as far as to say one of best debuts of recent years. trippy production but also more importantly really fine songwriting. I love how he basically made it all in his bedroom and it's nicely crunchy and squashed sounding. Lonerism was a little bit of a step down. still in the same vein but the song writing wasn't as good for me and the synths got a bit too prominent.

and now the synths have really taken over!
Lazerize
Known user

Post by Lazerize »

I prefer Lonerism to Innerspeaker but they're both fantastic albums. I liked the synths on Lonerism a lot and wouldn't mind if their increased prominence didn't occur in tandem with really pedestrian songwriting and production. It's totally an obvious move to the mainstream. The percussion is straight out of the pop factory, and the synths are out of the same 80s daydream that everyone's stuck in. I don't get how such a blatant commercial move has people thinking it's a brave departure. It's not exactly Kid A or Achtung Baby.

I'm really disappointed by this record. Tame Impala are my favorite new band of the decade, but this album is total shit. And it's undoubtedly going to be fucking huge, no small thanks due to Interscope payola.
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

angelsighs wrote:yeah the new stuff is garbage to my ears. I'm all for supporting a band changing direction, but it's doing nothing for me at all.

I think he knows it's kind of an obvious move towards the mainstream with this one.
it just sounds so light.. where's the thick, weighty sound of the first two?

lets not be hasty and dismiss the first two albums though! Innerspeaker is still a fantastic album. I'd go as far as to say one of best debuts of recent years. trippy production but also more importantly really fine songwriting. I love how he basically made it all in his bedroom and it's nicely crunchy and squashed sounding. Lonerism was a little bit of a step down. still in the same vein but the song writing wasn't as good for me and the synths got a bit too prominent.

and now the synths have really taken over!
i'd echo all of this. when i was describing 'currents' to someone i was trying to tell them it was like a sanitized and smoothed-out version of 'lonerism' without the immediacy and blown-out inspired feeling and without any trace of standout tracks like 'feels like we only go backwards' or 'apocalypse dreams.'
runaway
Known user

Post by runaway »

You're all wrong - my 15-year-old says it's "titties on yo face" (and I'm assuming this means it's very good).
Lazerize
Known user

Post by Lazerize »

depends on who's titties, doesn't it?
runaway
Known user

Post by runaway »

My guess is that at 15 years it probably doesn't matter?
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

runaway wrote:My guess is that at 15 years it probably doesn't matter?
You're right and I still think it's a great album. I like all three.

M
Design.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

johnnyboy wrote:....The new stuff sounds like something I'd expect to hear piping out over the speakers in H&M or something.
Hahaha. Ouch! Such an awesome put down.

I quite liked one of their new songs that was on here (Hall & Oates-esque) but I also take Johnny's recommendations seriously so will probably give this a swerve.

I couldn't really get into their first album, it basically sounded like an anaesthetised John Lennon singing over a psychedelic garage band.

Theoretically that should have been incredible but it just sounded so flat and dull and, well... tame.

I'll top you Johnny - Tame Impala are merely the Coldplay of the modern psych scene - their popularity isn't really surprising in that context.
O P 8
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

All of their output is pretty dull really. I tried but just couldn't get into them.

Annoying is a good description of them alright but is also applicable to shitloads of indie/alternative/whatever of the past 15 years. Having to switch a record off because you find it irritating is just plain wrong. Hate i can deal with but annoying/irritating... something up with that!
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

BzaInSpace wrote:
johnnyboy wrote:....The new stuff sounds like something I'd expect to hear piping out over the speakers in H&M or something.
Hahaha. Ouch! Such an awesome put down.

I quite liked one of their new songs that was on here (Hall & Oates-esque) but I also take Johnny's recommendations seriously so will probably give this a swerve.

I couldn't really get into their first album, it basically sounded like an anaesthetised John Lennon singing over a psychedelic garage band.

Theoretically that should have been incredible but it just sounded so flat and dull and, well... tame.

I'll top you Johnny - Tame Impala are merely the Coldplay of the modern psych scene - their popularity isn't really surprising in that context.
Haha, glad you appreciate the put down and take my recommendations seriously. I'll have to start dropping in some joke recommendations every now and then just to confuse you.

I was chatting with friends at a bbq yesterday about Tame Impala and the few that really liked the new stuff tend to be not so much into the 'psych/whatever' sound. Few dance heads are really liking the Let It Happen track, but me and my mate Al were just replying with a baffled "I just don't get it, or them, or their previous stuff, it's just so.....so.......boring and weak".....and all that other stuff I said up there above. An 'anaesthetised John Lennon' is a good one. I gave Innerspeaker a go on Friday afternoon after reading replies here but had to switch it off after a few songs. I tried, I really did. Annoying is def the word.

I love that it makes a 15yr old say "it's titties on yo face". That's genius! I'm all for that kind of appeal. Such a shame I find the titties to be such annoying titties (a phrase I never thought I'd be saying).

Tame Impala are merely the Coldplay of the modern psych scene. I like that one BZA. I confess that I'd much rather listen to Coldplay though, hehe. Seriously, I would. Some of their earlier stuff is pretty enjoyable in my book.

Different 'psych' styles but I think King Gizzard crap all over Tame Impala. The Gizz (as they are known) fill me full of wild abandon and love for the immediate world around me. The Tame (as they are now known) fill me full of ground teeth and exasperated feelings.

Anyways, enough of the bitch fest from me.x
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I find the overwhelming negativity in this thread depressing. I've spent a few days with this album now and it's fantastic. I'm not a fan of the first two, either. The melodies on this one are so infectious and beautiful. The lyrics are cool. I love the synths, the thick bass and the deep grooves. The Coldplay comparison is lazy and inaccurate. If this is the new soundtrack for groceries stores, then sign me up. I'm going to be there once a week anyway.
Lazerize
Known user

Post by Lazerize »

I wonder if Currents is more appealing to people who didn't like the first two than people who were already fans.

One of the main strengths of the first two was the relative looseness: it sounded like a band. This one is quite rigid, like all current pop music. I don't know about Tame Impala being the Coldplay of the current psych scene. They're more like Simple Minds: latecomers to a sound, and then they chase current pop styles for commercial success. I expect Tame Impala to soundtrack a remake of the Breakfast Club someday.

It would never happen, by Ty Segall would make a better record in this style than Parker because he's an excellent songwriter and much better singer. And Parker's lyrics......fuck, is he a dumb 12 year old?
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

lots of grumpiness in this thread. I'm still flying the flag for the early stuff I have to say! he's a talented guy and this album could be a blip.

agree that a lot of modern indie music is actually actively annoying. Animal Collective. anything whiney and whacky that Pitchfork love to cover.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

TheWarmth wrote:I find the overwhelming negativity in this thread depressing. I've spent a few days with this album now and it's fantastic. I'm not a fan of the first two, either. The melodies on this one are so infectious and beautiful. The lyrics are cool. I love the synths, the thick bass and the deep grooves. The Coldplay comparison is lazy and inaccurate. If this is the new soundtrack for groceries stores, then sign me up. I'm going to be there once a week anyway.
I`m with you here Warmth ( Heisenberg & Modlab as well) I`m really enjoying this album, its a breath of fresh air to my ... ears?/? Anyway, no particular liking for either of the previous albums, not going to get into production or what not but it sounds immense,

Still sounds pretty psychedelic to me, didn`t Parker mention listening to Bee Gees `shroomed & coked up? Quite sure that's the vibe I`m getting, a big f#ck off trippy disco in space, was it BZA that brought up Hall & Oates? That doesn't really leave much room for Roky, Syd or Iggy granted but I`m pretty sure that's good thing as that area of psyche is covered to infinity and back else where. It reminds me a lot of Daft Punk - RAM from last year, loved that album and I think I`ll love this one as well.

Oh , and far it for me to speak for BZA, but I think he was being a bit flippant with the Coldplay crack , no need to get too vexed over that, and the other one an `anesthetized John Lennon`, I could go there, that sounds good.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Naimhm gets it...

It's hard to convey just throwing stuff out for comedic value using a text based system as you probably know.

I see plenty of stuff I love on here getting gleefully torn apart, so it's all fair game I think.

I've yet to reply to the last Primal Scream thread which was far more depressing that this... I'll finish that one off today if I can.

Anyway, I liked that last track by Tame Impala. I suggested the Hall & Oates thing which is pretty awesome really.

I think the ideas of the other albums were good but somehow in the execution - for me - it just didn't quite deliver.

I also thought that riff from 'Elephant' was fantastic, but the song didn't really take it anywhere.

Anyway.
O P 8
runaway
Known user

Post by runaway »

I dunno, maybe we're just old and out of touch. My kids like Foxygen too...
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Nothing wrong with a bit of Foxygen!
O P 8
runaway
Known user

Post by runaway »

So many of these bands sound like kids who raided their hippie grandparents' record collection.
Luminescence
Known user

Post by Luminescence »

I really like 'Currents'. It got some great songs and a nice vibe running throughout.
Hey Jayne
runaway
Known user

Post by runaway »

As part of our semi-annual CD haul at the Tower Records in Shibuya my kids bought the Japanese edition of Currents (extra disc of live material and a button!). It's been getting quite a bit of play on the little hotel room boom box and I have to say I rather enjoy it. Agree that it has a nice mellow cohesiveness.