RSD 2015

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

bambam
Known user

RSD 2015

Post by bambam »

So I know you've all read the list, but I'm surprised that there's been no mention yet. Anyways, not a ton of overwhelming good stuff this year, and I'm glad it looks like they are pressing enough if the things I'd like to grab. So here its goes:

Actually excited about:
JPS Experience Set: Pricey set from Fire but its all 3 LPs plus bonus downloads. Only for UK RSD, but will have US regular distribution (you can preorder it through Bullmoose)

Will Probably Get:
Ride: OX4: Rhino did a great job with the Nowhere pressing, so this should be a good remaster as well. Was more looking forward to the reissue of the first 2 EPs that Captured Tracks was rumored to be putting out.
Dandy Warhols, Dandys Rule OK: Their best album

Guilty Pleasure I'll Purchase:
I Heart Bis: All the early stuff. My 5yo daughter and I can dance to this one.

Guilty Pleasure I Won't Purchase:
Ministry Boxset: I remember my senior year in HS and freshmen year in college trying to track down all of Uncle Al's side projects. Now here it is in all one place. $140 is still too much though.

Sadly Will Probable Miss Out On:
Red House Painters Box: you may have heard about the debacle with this preorder. I'll be happy with the individual reissues though.
Bedhead Live: Awesome band. only 350 copies though so I'm not holding my breath.
Slowdive: Blue Day: The Music On Vinyl reissues have sounded great (better than the originals). As this is Europe only release, it might be hard to find a copy over here for a reasonable price so I'll guess I'll have to settle for my original pressing.

Overall, not a lot of classic "need to have" releases, despite the nearly 600 different releases worldwide. The 7" selection seems to be getting less and less appealing, and of course, the prices keep on getting more ridiculous.
spzretent
Site Admin

Re: RSD 2015

Post by spzretent »

I saw nothing on the list I would wake up early for.
Which I am totally fine with.
I spent enough last time.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

I want Eno's My Squelchy Life 2xLP, sort of wish it wasn't an RSD release.

Still, probably not high on everyone's list.

Some things I'd sort of like to have, but few are truly compelling, especially given their inflated prices. (IMHO)
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

I'd like to get Ride, Slowdive, Midlake's live 12" and DVD and the J&MC live Psyhocandy but the one I really want is The Heads' "Nobody Knows". A friend of the band sent me this info regarding it:-

THE HEADS – NOBODY KNOWS
ROOSTER21LP

RECORD STORE DAY 2015, celebrating the last Heads shows, and the Everybody Knows We Got Nowhere reissue.

In 2014 The Heads reissued their 2000 album "Everybody Knows We Got Nowhere" in full remastered / deluxe boxset glory, and to much acclaim.
In the boxset, they added a 70 minute Compact Disc of demos, unheard versions etc of material pre -2000 recorded in the rehearsal room on a walkman.

For RSD 2015, and to celebrate their rare / final live performances at Roadburn 2015, Simon Price has taken the material he edited for the bonus CD, and added more tracks to the pot. With the mastering expertise / tape polishing skills of Shawn Joseph, Price has created a warts'n'all document of the time in the heads' rehearsal space just prior to the making / construction of the Every Knows album. This double LP is 10 tracks of the Heads in their element, raw and alive in the rehearsal room prior to 2000, tracks being formed, prototype Heads' riffs in the sonic gloop. Hear this era of the Heads in its speaker blowing, walkman warping glory, a true psychedelic rock morass. Wrapped in a Simon Price sleeve, a gatefold sleeve to boot! naturally!
A "fin de seicle" of sorts, "Nobody Knows" is a closing chapter, a sonic glossary to the band's Everybody Knows' legacy.
THE HEADS DATES IN APRIL ARE:
APRIL 8TH THE LEXINGTON LONDON SOLD OUT
APRIL 10TH ROADBURN, TILBURG, HOLLAND
APRIL 11TH ROADBURN, TILBURG, HOLLAND
Weekend tickets for Roadburn are sold out, but there are day tickets still available. S

1200 COPIES WORLD WIDE FOR RSD 2015 ON BLACK VINYL, NO DOWNLOAD CARDS/CODES, NO REPRESS.HEAVY CARD, SPOT VARNISHED GATEFOLD SLEEVE AND COMES WITH POSTER.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Ride, Slowdive (the band had no idea about this repress !), Heads, Bardo Pond, Amorphous Androgynous, JAMC, and maybe some other bits. Didnt see the Dandy Warhols LP mentioned, is that just in thew US ?? Would love a copy of what I agree is their finest hour
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Just the JAMC and Heads albums for me.

Alas neither will make an appearance anywhere near me, so if anyone would care to pick these up for me come the time I would be most obliged :)
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I have a favor to ask.
A friend of mine who works in a record shop here is after a UK only RSD LP. Nothing uber rare just a UK only LP.
It is a Jose James LP. If anyone could pick me up one I would appreciate it.
Let me know if there is anything on the US list you want. I am sure he would be happy to hold something if he can.
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

I can assist no problem. I'm after the Dandy Warhols Rule Ok LP which doesn't appear to be being released over here. Drop me a PM if you wish to discuss further.
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

spzretent wrote:I saw nothing on the list I would wake up early for.
completely agree with this. i was relieved when the final list was released. it shouldn't be a problem to get what i'm after later on- there are only a few releases i want at all on the list.

are the JAMC and heads releases UK only?
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Aquarian-Time wrote:I can assist no problem. I'm after the Dandy Warhols Rule Ok LP which doesn't appear to be being released over here. Drop me a PM if you wish to discuss further.
I will ask him to save one if they are getting it. I will know before hand.
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

spzretent wrote:I saw nothing on the list I would wake up early for.
Nothing jumping out at me either which is a releif. I have spent the night outside Crash in Leeds a couple of times in years gone by and although the people you are queueing with are always ok the clubbers and revellers can be a little hit and miss :!: I'll probably pay em a visit on the Sunday and see what's left. Kinda glad I'm not a Heads fan tho as I can see an almighty scramble for their release, good luck :!:
'Remember, change is not good'
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

The only thing I would really like to get is the JAMC album, but I wont be camping out on the off chance I get one, don`t that much :lol:
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I did see something I would like on the RSD UK list.
The Close Lobsters 3x LP should anyone see one.
I would be much obliged.
bambam
Known user

Post by bambam »

http://www.bullmoose.com/p/18207364/clo ... -1986-1989

Available for domestic preorder here
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

Interesting take on how RSD is going and I think on the whole I agree.

http://www.soniccathedral.co.uk/why-rec ... -is-dying/

Thoughts everybody :?:
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

bambam wrote:http://www.bullmoose.com/p/18207364/clo ... -1986-1989

No way I thought that would make it over here.
Thanks
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

These are on my list:
The Stooges - Live at Ungano's 2LP
JOE GIBBS & THE PROFESSIONALS - AFRICAN DUB CHAPTER TWO
White Stripes - get behind me Satan
Marc Lanegan - needle of death 7"
N.F. Porter - If I Could Only Be Sure / Keep On Keeping On 7"
Frank Sinatra Songs For Young Lovers
Steve Reich Music For 18 Musicians Format: 2 x 180gram black vinyl
Johnny thunders and the Heartbreakers - LAMF

I've had my eye on that Stooges album for ages on CD. The clip on Youtube sounds insane, its basically a full run through of Funhouse live. You wouldn't like it though so leave it for me :lol:
http://www.soundcloud.com/haarlemriots
plastic37
Known user

Post by plastic37 »

BVCP206 wrote:Interesting take on how RSD is going and I think on the whole I agree.

http://www.soniccathedral.co.uk/why-rec ... -is-dying/

Thoughts everybody :?:
I guess the opposing view would be that of a retailer. It probably wouldn't be too difficult to find a piece written by a shop owner who, while recognising the shortcomings, wouldn't dream of withdrawing from the opportunities provided by RSD.

I noted that when Nathaniel 'launched' this piece of PR on facebook he made a reference to Bill Drummond
Heavy Tourism
bambam
Known user

Post by bambam »

spzretent wrote:
bambam wrote:http://www.bullmoose.com/p/18207364/clo ... -1986-1989

No way I thought that would make it over here.
Thanks

I think Fire wanted to have all of their releases (Bardo Pond, JPS experience, Close Lobsters, Pulp reissues) on both sides of the Atlantic, but the folks at RSD really limited the number of requests for "officially sanctioned releases" this year. I read they turned down hundreds of titles to keep it from being nearly 1000 releases. Bullmoose.com is actually taking preorders for the Fire titles, Demon titles (Suede & JAMC live records), and a few others that are UK only. For instance, the Bis record has 500 titles for UK RSD, but they are pressing 1000 for worldwide distribution. Also, the Bedhead live LP is being pressed to 1000, according to Numero, but RSD is sanctioning only 350. I think if you look hard enough, most of these releases will be available somewhere on both sides of the ocean. As its been mentioned, there aren't a lot of "to die for" releases this year, and the pressing quantities seem to be going up (4000+ for an Interpol 7"???).
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

http://www.icontact-archive.com/OBEMGyl ... pK5BtZ?w=3
I am sorry. Strong dollar or not these RSD prices are insane.
I am not singling Resident out as I am sure it is a great shop. Those are suggested retail prices.
I am just stunned what they are asking.
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

spzretent wrote:http://www.icontact-archive.com/OBEMGyl ... pK5BtZ?w=3
I am sorry. Strong dollar or not these RSD prices are insane.
I am not singling Resident out as I am sure it is a great shop. Those are suggested retail prices.
I am just stunned what they are asking.
I look through lists like these and think to myself "who the fuck would actually want one of those?" So many retreads and reissues that to me simply can't justify being put out there except under the RSD halo.

Not sure that's really what RSD was supposed to be about, although I suppose if one Happy Mondays completist ventures out to his local store I guess it's done its job!!
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

I would be happy to own a vinyl copy of pills thrills and bellyaches, but I doubt I'd be prepared to queue up for the morning and not much else is very tempting.

Prices don't seem overly terrible for the UK, perhaps I've just got used to paying £20 for a piece of vinyl and Resident is a good store. Always like to pop in when I'm in Brighton .
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

I want the Levitation 12" if I can get my hands one one. There are only 500 though.
SpacemanR
New user

Post by SpacemanR »

I really like Resident and have waited outside for the last number of RSD's. However this year i think they are pushing it. If i can't get to record shops Norman, Juno, Drift and others are always cheaper. Brighton is cool but they it is no reason to prey on music fans.

Last year was 3 hours and i am fine with this but come on....
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

i was reading something about how big record companies (universal etc) love record store day as they use it to make more cash

(found it)

Universal have defended Record Store Day amid recent criticism from a number of independent labels and artists regarding the annual event.

image: http://nme.assets.ipccdn.co.uk/images/a ... 151211.jpg
Earlier this month, independent labels Sonic Cathedral and Howling Owl released a statement that said "how every day should be record store day" and that the current Record Store Day "rules and regulations" mean that it's "not beneficial to small, backs to the wall labels".

Drenge recently echoed these sentiments, stating: "It started out as a good idea for getting people back into record shops with a cool little ltd edition 7-inch or whatever, but it’s just turned into a swamp of bullshit."

Now, however, Universal Music have posted a blog post to their official website titled 'Who Wins From Record Store Day?' in which they write: "Until a few weeks ago it seemed everyone in the music industry thought Record Store Day, the eight year old celebration of the UK’s hundreds of indie music shops, was a great idea. RSD has given the indie store sector, decimated over the last decade or so with the closure of over 500 shops, a new lease of life... But, then the naysayers arrived."

The post also quotes Universal’s independent sales manager, Marc Fayd’Herbe, who said: "I have worked with indies for 25 years and RSD has been the single best thing that has ever happened to the indies (stores). We should never forget that. We have supported RSD from the beginning. A few years ago stores were begging us to bring out stuff. Now we have brought out a nice raft of releases, some people are saying 'Oh, they want to take over'."

Entertainment Retailers Association, the company behind Record Store Day, had previously released a statement responding to criticism, in which they ended the message by asking music fans and labels alike to "give us a break".

ERA's statement read: "To make it clear, the purpose of Record Store Day is not to promote independent labels. It is to promote independent record shops (the clue is in the name).

"Of course, because indie record shops disproportionately support independent labels, indie labels are among the biggest winners from RSD. While media coverage inevitably focuses on superstar acts often signed to major labels, in fact three out of four RSD releases are on indie labels. That’s hardly a 'betrayal' of indies."

Record Store Day, which celebrates the culture of independent record shops, takes place in 2015 on April 18. Mumford & Sons and Foo Fighters are among the artists who will release exclusive material this year.
Read More On This Artist

---

sometimes you can find the releases on ebay a few months down the road cheaper and i am sure that some serious collectors love the day, but for the average person the whole strictly limited aspect and the fact songs are 'exclusively' for record day- unavailable elsewhere plus the inflated prices questions the whole concept. how many people participate just because it is record store day and not beacuse they want the items but are willing to pay to be invloved and/or support a cause?
“You're not Dostoevsky,' said the citizeness

'Well, who knows, who knows,' he replied.

'Dostoevsky's dead,' said the citizeness, but somehow not very confidently.

'I protest!' Behemoth exclaimed hotly. 'Dostoevsky is immortal!”
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Mary Chain 'Barrowlands' going for stupid money already on Ebay :evil:
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
sm-iom
Known user

Post by sm-iom »

natty wrote:I want the Levitation 12" if I can get my hands one one. There are only 500 though.
Tried in Preston for this one, around 10am.Queued for 20 mins or so, but no joy...
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

The Dr wrote:i was reading something about how big record companies (universal etc) love record store day as they use it to make more cash

- snip

sometimes you can find the releases on ebay a few months down the road cheaper and i am sure that some serious collectors love the day, but for the average person the whole strictly limited aspect and the fact songs are 'exclusively' for record day- unavailable elsewhere plus the inflated prices questions the whole concept. how many people participate just because it is record store day and not beacuse they want the items but are willing to pay to be invloved and/or support a cause?

Tony Soprano, "Everything turns to shit."
gonna burn brightly
for a while
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

jack white wrote:
The Dr wrote:i was reading something about how big record companies (universal etc) love record store day as they use it to make more cash

- snip

Tony Soprano, "Everything turns to shit."
including his show :wink:

spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Just hit up a local shop that must have ordered $25,000 worth of RSD stock. Plenty left. I had no idea there was a Shayne Carter Peter Jefferies split 7". Never saw that on any list.
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

permanent records still has heads lps-

http://shop.permanentrecordschicago.com ... e/dp/79925
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

I will be fair in my appraisal and not jump on any slaying RSD bandwagon here.

I see both sides, but first and foremost, its about the Shops, ask Piccadilly Records in Manchester if they are on board with it and you would get a resounding yes. Its about getting people into the shops, this has proved to be a success on that score.
Shops are opening now not closing, and good Record stores traded through the bad times with low margins and added some diversity to what they offered.
Its raised the awareness levels on a format that whether we like it or not, was dying. Now its thriving, allowing digital files, cd's and Records to co-exist ensuring something for everyone.

The point regarding the majors (who decided records were a thing of the past lot that long ago) is indeed true, they clog up the pressing plants months beforehand and cash in on so many pointless re-issues, so me, I choose not to put on major label stuff on my list(or at least not many :? )
I have been queuing outside Piccadilly Recs year on year(4am this year and a lot further back in line that previous years) and I enjoy it for some reason, some like minded souls (none of which seemed ebay bound with their purchases) chatting about first gigs, wants lists fave artists, doing coffee runs for each other. No pushing shoving, everyone wishing each other all the best with their list. the guy behind me (we were probably about 130th in line) wanted the Suede RAH live gig as it was his 7 year old daughters first gig. Picc Recs only had 9 when we asked, we were all delighted when he got it, he was almost in tears.
Any event like this in any field will get the greed merchants involved I understand this, and it can tread a fine line, but there were some sparkling releases that were worthy of my money of that there is little doubt.
Ebay, Ok you don't want to queue, it sells out, you don't get it. Well its on Ebay if you want it, inflated yes, just like any other limited release that sells out. Whats the difference between missing out on a ticket for a gig as you logged on at 10am and they sold out at 9.30 ?? Touts have tickets, good job too as I would of missed out on a few (not many) events over the years.
RSD I enjoy, I look forward to it every year and the atmosphere around Manchester was great, its raised awareness of the once dying format and for that I am thankful
Amen
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

^^ good post ^^

I've never queued over the years. Tend to just arrive when I'm up and about for the day, have a couple of records in mind and if they have them all good and if they don't then it wasn't to be. It always falls over my birthday weekend so I like to treat myself to at least one record. The local shop I go to, Fives in Leigh On Sea, Essex, is family run and dead friendly. My good friends DJ all day long using an old Dansette player, so it's 7's all the way, some local bands do acoustic sets, we all hang out for a good few hours and it's a great laugh and chance to catch up with everyone and support the shop. This year I really wanted the !!! (chk chk chk) 12" but that had sold out very early on (well, I did get there well after 10am), so I treated myself to the Coachwhips "Bangers vs Fuckers" LP instead, which is a glorious racket of a record, 20mins of trashy garage rock n roll sonic mayhem courtesy of John Dwyer from Thee Oh Sees. It was great fun hanging out there, local high street shoppers stopping by to see what all the noise was about, oldies pointing at the Dansette and telling stories about how they had one years ago, then they ventured in for a shop around in general. So, for that reason it is great for the shop, local community, local music-heads etc etc, but they will be stuck with a lot of unwanted stock I reckon. Noticeable non-sellers were the Kinks 7's, an album or 12" by the 1975, handfuls of them leftover come late afternoon. God knows what they do with them all My other local shop, South Records in Southend, had a similar day of events, big queues at opening time, happy punters, but once again a lot of leftovers.

I'll always go each year purely for the social side of it and for picking up at least one record as a birthday treat for the day.
plastic37
Known user

Post by plastic37 »

good discussion of what RSD has become. Valuable descriptions of what actually happens on the day and what it means to people.
It's clear that the limited releases are only a small part of it. Despite the growing list i'd say the releases are actually getting to be a smaller element of it.
Its entirely possible to enjoy RSD without spending a penny on major label re issues.
There seems to be loads going on outside of the limited edition list. It looks as though its becoming a real institution/festival. It just occurred to me that rather than celebrating spring by getting children to dance round a maypole or whatever this new festival is based on the premise of spending money. I like the way it has evolved so that hanging out, going to a gig, catching up with mates and all the other bits n bobs happening in a city near you is as much a part of it as acquiring another edition of XYZ record.

There will come a time when a savvy record shop is able to put on a day of frolics, cram in the punters, stuff the till and yet not have a single RSD release on offer.
Heavy Tourism
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

My .02 cents from Detroit. I did not get up early. I will never wait in line for a record. Mainly if there is something I really wanted the shop I am in every week will hold it if they get it on RSD provided it isn't one of the "big releases" which it never is.

I asked someone I ran into Saturday who has worked at Warner Brothers Music his entire adult life how these little shops absorb the cost of all this product as here, it is all shipped COD, he said you find a way. Most of the shops I was in did a fantastic job of ordering the right amount. I was in a few shops again yestrday and not much was left in a few. One however had more left in it the the other two had Saturday combined. This is the shop referenced in my post above. They had to have ordered conservatively $25,000 worth of stock and plenty good things were left yesterday.
The releases? Way too many pointless 7"s.

What I like about RSD is seeing a lot of people I knew as a shop owner and having that yearly conversation and catch up. It is always good to see folks you haven't seen. I also think it is great that shops have another day that rivals Christmas.
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

sm-iom wrote:
natty wrote:I want the Levitation 12" if I can get my hands one one. There are only 500 though.
Tried in Preston for this one, around 10am.Queued for 20 mins or so, but no joy...
Yeah, I never got one either. Nowhere local to me had one, even though I asked them ages ago. They basically told me to "fuck off, we'll get what we get".

It's available for download on bandcamp and the label will hopefully be putting a few out next week. I don't think it sold out.
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

IMHO this has been the most lacklustre of RSD days since it's inception, more rehashses of old material than ever before. Great record that Never Mind The Bollocks is do we really need another pic disc of this album, that release for me sums up what RSD has become. I am very disillusioned with the whole concept :(
runaway
Known user

Post by runaway »

Picture disc of Never Mind The Bollocks? eBay here I come!
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Much of the RSD releases are stupid. On the other hand I bought a RSD reissue copy of a UK 60's psych LP by The Rainbow Ffolly which is awesome. No RSD? Never would have known about it.
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

shalloboi wrote:permanent records still has heads lps-

http://shop.permanentrecordschicago.com ... e/dp/79925

several on discogs for $33 each
http://www.discogs.com/Heads-Nobody-Kno ... se/6911764

I bought The Stooges live LP, waited til the day after, no lines, no crowds, shop opened at noon.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Visited my local shop once again today. I was mulling over buying one of those RSD close and play record players or what you guys in the UK call dansettes. I mentioned the to the guy who always helps me. They had three Ramones ones. Not a huge fan but at least I could play 7"s w/o lifting the platter off my turntable.
He said we have a Third Man RSD 2014 portable record player someone consigned. The guy will take $80. We played it. It does the trick. I am now plowing thru stacks of 7"s I have never heard.
So happy with this purchase.
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

Can you post a pic of the TMR player you bought, or a link?

Flipped thru the RSD 2015 bins at my favorite shop yesterday. Nothing was compelling enough to spend the inflated money on.

I'm on the fence about Eno's My Squelchy Life, it's a double LP (with one album's worth of music) for $28. Think I'll watch them on discogs, currently under $20 plus shipping, and I suspect someone will drop their price when they are just sitting.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

davedecay wrote:Can you post a pic of the TMR player you bought, or a link?
This is the model:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Third-Man-Recor ... 35e6f23ec1

Plays 33, 45 & 78.
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

Thanks. Poking round on eBay ran across this, not as snappy as the black one you got...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Crosley-Third-M ... 1731027352
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

http://www.laweekly.com/music/henry-rol ... ay-5513844

Henry Rollins makes some good points about RSD and major labels. The reason for RSD is to support stores once abandoned by these labels.

"These big labels are like your parents coming to a party you’re at. “Don’t worry, we’re cool!” Nope. So not Record Store Day."
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

First time I`ve been near a shop on RSD, very happy with my JAMC - Barrowlands Live, nice red vinyl.

Not so happy with the £30 price tag though, and no download :evil:
One Asian Under A Groove
Known user

Post by One Asian Under A Groove »

It was my first RSD too, as we were in Manchester for a day trip. On the train there, I happened to check online for the location of Piccadilly Records, saw it was RSD, saw that Tim Burgess was going to be there, told my wife and our plan for the day was set.

I was able to get hold of the Continuum 7-inch (with Jamie xx, Four Tet, Koreless and John Talabot) which was a RSD release, but I went on to buy non-RSD records by D'Angelo, Burial, A Tribe Called Quest and Young Fathers. My wife filled her boots too. Then, when we returned later to see & meet Tim Burgess (who was lovely and looks about 15 years younger than he actually is), I spotted the vinyl reissue of Fucked Up Inside. Well, I had to get that!

If the original purpose of RSD was to get people visiting music shops more often, then it's certainly worked with regards to Piccadilly Records. I'd never been before, but every time I return to Manchester, it will be my first port of call (well, maybe second after having lunch at Night & Day first). To browse there was a genuine pleasure.

However, I think the list of actual RSD releases this year was pretty poor. Only a few actual worthwhile releases (e.g. Suede's "Dog Man Star" RAH live show), I'm a U2 fan but I think it's almost unforgivable for them (or their record company) to try to sell a "RSD" vinyl version of their new album - who needs that, especially since everyone got it for free in the first place (whether they liked it or not)?
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Managed to get a copy of the Red house Painters box set, incredible! Also the Bedhead live LP and toomilk took a drive to LA to grab me the LA-only Blur flexidisc from an ice cream van...
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Norman records have stacks of Bardo Pond and Heads rSD releases. Piccadilly Records still as well I believe.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Rough Trade had at least 20-30 Heads records left on the rack.
Design.
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

Aquarian-Time wrote:Norman records have stacks of Bardo Pond and Heads rSD releases. Piccadilly Records still as well I believe.
Norman had 100 copies of The Heads record :!:
The Dr
Known user

Re: RSD 2015 tuesdays

Post by The Dr »

Record Store Day has outlined plans to launch Vinyl Tuesday, a weekly programme that will release vinyl through independent outlets every Tuesday.

The event, established by the American Association of Independent Music, aims to "maintain and grow physical retail" by providing a weekly stream of vinyl releases, including promotional records, reissues and original special releases.

In a statement on their website, the association said: "Every Tuesday, participating retailers will celebrate by highlighting special-edition, catalogue, promotional, and new releases on vinyl. The goal is to maintain and grow physical retail while giving music fans more compelling reasons to support this important part of the music business community."

The five types of release available through Vinyl Tuesday will be catalogue releases; commercial and promotional; pre-CD/digital vinyl releases; Record Store Day exclusives; and vinyl reissues, Fact reports.

Vinyl Tuesday sales will count towards domestic charts, with international retailers expected to take part.