the cool list

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

The Dr
Known user

the cool list

Post by The Dr »

for those of you like me out of touch with coolness...

Full list of winners at the Billboard Music Awards 2015:

Top artist: Taylor Swift
Top new artist: Sam Smith
Top male artist: Sam Smith
Top female artist: Taylor Swift
Top duo/group: One Direction
Top Billboard 200 artist: Taylor Swift
Top Hot 100 artist: Taylor Swift
Top digital songs artist: Taylor Swift
Top radio songs artist: Sam Smith
Top touring artist: One Direction
Top social artist: Justin Bieber
Top streaming artist: Iggy Azalea
Top R&B artist: Pharrell Williams
Top rap artist: Iggy Azalea
Top country artist: Florida Georgia Line
Top rock artist: Hozier
Top Latin artist: Romeo Santos
Top dance/electronic artist: Calvin Harris
Top Christian artist: Hillsong
Top Billboard 200 album: Taylor Swift, 1989
Top soundtrack: Frozen
Top R&B album: Pharrell, GIRL
Top rap album: J Cole, 2014 Forest Hill Drive
Top country album: Jason Aldean, Old Boots, New Dirt
Top rock album: Coldplay, Ghost Stories
Top Latin Album: Enrique Iglesias, Sex and Love
Top dance/electronic album: Lindsey Stirling, Shatter Me
Top Christian album: Lecrae, Anomaly
Top Hot 100 song: Meghan Trainor, All About That Bass
Top digital song: Meghan Trainor, All About That Bass
Top radio song: John Legend, All Of Me
Top streaming song (audio): John Legend, All Of Me
Top streaming song (video): Taylor Swift, Shake It Off
Top R&B song: Pharrell, Happy
Top rap song: Iggy Azalea Feat. Charli XCX, Fancy
Top country song: Jason Aldean, Burnin' It Down
Top rock song: Hozier, Take Me To Church
Top Latin song: Enrique Iglesias Featuring Descemer, Bailando
Top dance/electronic song: DJ Snake & Lil Jon, Turn Down For What
Top Christian song: Carrie Underwood, Something In The Water
Billboard chart achievement award: Taylor Swift
“You're not Dostoevsky,' said the citizeness

'Well, who knows, who knows,' he replied.

'Dostoevsky's dead,' said the citizeness, but somehow not very confidently.

'I protest!' Behemoth exclaimed hotly. 'Dostoevsky is immortal!”
heisenberg
Known user

Re: the cool list

Post by heisenberg »

Ghost Stories by Coldplay. Very rock.

"Call it magic...oh-oh-oh-oh-a-oh!" Rocks like a bitch, that band.

And that cheerful Sam Smith song that I have to endure about four times a day at work? It actually makes me look forward to Adele or a solo Spice Girl song coming on after it. That's how much his music depresses me. There is a million songs called Stay With Me, and he wrote the worst of the lot.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

That's my kill list all ready to go... just need to give U2 some sort of "legendary status" award and i'm all set... :lol: :lol:
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

Laz69 wrote:That's my kill list all ready to go... just need to give U2 some sort of "legendary status" award and i'm all set... :lol: :lol:
'bono taught the stones, dylan, bb king, elvis etc all they knew' taylor swift

Hedspace
Known user

Post by Hedspace »

that billboard chart is surely proof that most of us, moreso than ever, have been reduced to units of consumption. Digits in the corporate aesthetic. Smear that material gloss all over my peely skin baby, that feels real good. :shock:

jus sayin’

http://mic.com/articles/95260/how-the-m ... -pop-songs
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

to follow on from the comment above

---

Nickelback's lyrics are more intelligent than those of Foo Fighters and Linkin Park, a new study suggests.

image: http://nme.assets.ipccdn.co.uk/images/a ... 140115.jpg
The study, conducted by Andrew Powell-Morse of Seatsmart, analysed lyrics in 225 songs that had spent at least three weeks at Number One in Billboard’s pop, rock, country and hip-hop charts. His findings suggest that pop songs have the average reading level of an eight-year-old.

Elsewhere, the country charts apparently have the "smartest" lyrics, while R&B and hip-hop came below rock and pop.

Explaining his method, Powell-Morse conceded that "this data doesn’t touch on the meaning of a song, the metaphors, how the words connect with the artist’s personal story, etc. to create deeper meaning".

He added that country was the only genre without words like "oh" and "yeah" dragging down the average, which takes into account factors such as the number of syllables, helping Red Hot Chili Peppers' 'Dani California' top the rock listings. Three Days Grace's 2010 hit 'The Good Life' had the lowest reading age, comprehensible to the average 3 1/2–year-old.

Read the full study here.

http://www.seatsmart.com/blog/lyric-intelligence/

also

Mick Jagger also revealed that Jay Z is his favourite rapper

Read more at http://www.nme.com/news/music/offset/20 ... HmDkIsu.99

and there is a twitter link for the interview but i can't post it as social media is blocked on my firefox!

runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

FM Spaceman wrote:It's Always Great To See The Spaceman Selling His Ass For Brass (Sections) ...
If that's the line to take I'd have stopped loving Spiritualized years ago when the Toffee Crisp ad came out.

And if we're going to diss anyone who has allowed their music to be used in advertising maybe it's time to ditch my records by The Velvet Underground, Led Zeppelin and Hawkwind. Among many others...
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

As far as we are lead to believe, he's skint... i imagine these offers will be much more tempting now...
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

i wonder if the cars come with Jesus as the copilot?

ro
Known user

Post by ro »

I'm not sure but I think my old friend's old band was shortlisted for those VW ads.
Only interesting here because this friend was the person who introduced me to Spiritualized.
Well I guess we know who got the job!
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

FM Spaceman wrote:I Sincerely Apologise If I Offended Anybody With My Previous Comment ...

"It's Always Great To See The Spaceman Selling His Ass For Brass (Sections)"
It Was Intended To Be A Compliment ...
For As Far As I Know All Of The Advertising Revenue (Toffee Crisp And Volkswagen) Was Reinvested In The Spiritualized Brand (ie Brass Sections On Tour And Album Production etc) ...
Which Is Absolutely Fine By Me ...

Again I Apologise For Any Misunderstanding ...
Frankly, I found what you said to be clearly light hearted, and obviously a compliment. If there is no place here for even a TRY at attempted humor, and at the same time, complimenting the Host/ Artist (who helps provide this SITE) for perhaps "getting new gear together", it makes me wonder why.

It is his music; if mere seconds of his own work can provide revenue for whatever the artist wants, why not? Besides, whether an album is on the way, (or not), this was, a "free, no-cost, revenue-generating Spiritualized Ad" of some of his most popular and likely most easily recognized lyrics! Bravo! Someone was thinking somewhere! :D

I am glad Jason?Pierce understands Capitalism - He has made it work for him, and I am very pleased to have his music, music that I BOUGHT in most cases, and using a system which generally works very well when it is left alone.
"Everything is a Poison; it is the amount or degree that separates one Poison from another"
Paracelsus
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

FM Spaceman wrote:I Sincerely Apologise If I Offended Anybody With My Previous Comment ...

No offence taken n my part, I just wanted to redress the balance.

I understand the idea of people saying 'sold out' but I also understand how hard it is to maintain a career in music, particularly the genre Jason occupies. If using Spiritualized music to advertise extends the duration of the band that's good news on my part.
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

Personally, I suppose what annoys me most about the use of music as background to sell widgets is when the artist has no say in it. The idea of using music in commerce doesn't bother me when it is the artists themselves saying OK to doing so. It may not be entirely rational, but when I hear Beautiful Pieces used that the artist would NOT sell in life, it bugs me; I would imagine that anyone's creation would be something that they would and should have control over; but when the music itself is sold as a commodity, a la The Beach Boys and others over time, I suppose that casts it in a very different light. A few years ago, when it was possible to "place" famous actors or celebrities within commercials digitally, their families and estates quite rightly I think said - NO! "X" would never have approved that, and such commercials were pulled.
"Everything is a Poison; it is the amount or degree that separates one Poison from another"
Paracelsus
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

^^^ If the artist has no say in it, it probably means they accepted money upfront to give someone else the chance to earn money in perpetuity. Of course there are many examples of artists who have been exploited or ripped off in some way, plus there are even more examples of artists who made some poor choices, leaving them without control over some of their music.

In some of the best known cases, the likes of Van Morrison and the Beatles all still made plenty of money subsequently.

In cases where devious tactics are employed - I have sympathy with the situation. Unless the artist was subsequently left destitute and penniless - there are more deserving cases for my sympathy.

I certainly don't give a fuck if some rich whinger like McCartney complains. Why should I have sympathy for Brian Wilson? He had plenty of good times thanks to his beautiful pieces back in the day. He took more drugs, fucked more women and had more fun in a decade than I'm likely to in a lifetime. He still has more money and a better standard of living than I can ever hope to have - why should I care about his precious beautiful pieces getting used in whatever falls below the precocious standards of presumptuous posters?

As regards the families of dead celebrities allowing the use of images in adverts or whatever: how many said yes please when offered the right amount of money, with absolutely no thought or consideration given to what the deceased may have wanted? There's two sides to every story. Unfortunately I'm on neither because none of my deceased family were rich or famous enough for this to have any kind of relevance to me, so pardon me for not being too bothered about the situation.
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

There are a great many things far more important than money; and of course everyone has a right to their opinion; you seem from what, and how you wrote, to be far more bothered about the subject than I ever was. Mine was a passing thought, not filled or riddled with an apparent anger, the reason for which eludes me. It is no secret that in earlier years Record Companies held enormous power over the musicians on their labels, and many were exploited into losing what they had created; the Beach Boys had their songs sold away unbeknownst to them - I can only imagine what having something, a part of themselves of their own creation, essentially stolen - (albeit thought to be in their best interests at the time). It takes not a single pence to see how someone's intellectual property can be used in a way that the composer or writer may not approve; it is likely easy for an Estate or relatives to say "yes" to more money; yet I admire those people who said "no" for reasons that transcend the importance of money. For those who say yes, it is their legal right to take monies in as they see fit, and I don't care THAT much one way or the other; it is their prerogative, and if their conscience is clear for their decision, fine. If their conscience is not clear, it is they who will suffer from the decision far more than anyone else ever will.

The "Beautiful Piece" in question which first caught my attention HERE was a favorite of many, including myself - that of Jason?Pierce; and his beginning of LAGWAFIS; it is HIS work, and I do believe it was an intelligent use of those few well known and well liked seconds of music; to be paid for what I heard as more of a Spiritualized ad with a (possible?) new LP was well done. The music is Constant in these ads; the "car" more transient. Very well done; I cannot help but think a great many people seeing and hearing this will remember the primarily the Music over a VW. Perhaps that is my biased view. In regards to "digitized celebrities" placed in commercials, and the family and / or Estate saying "no", and the ad pulled by court order; I cannot think of a single ad that lasted very long; there seemed to be far more TV time on the legal arguments than was allowed for the actual commercials! That being said, there may very well have been these ads outside of the USA, for many living celebrities sell widgets outside the US, yet many will not do so within the USA, again, their prerogative for their own reasons.

I simply wished to point out the difference I see between any creation being sold and used in some way with the OK of the artist and contrast that with creative works being used in a way the artist does not or would not approve; because again, there are principles and considerations that transcend money. Simple. No gnashing of teeth here.
Last edited by semisynthetic on Tue May 26, 2015 5:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Paracelsus
Hedspace
Known user

Post by Hedspace »

remember this anyone? back before mainstream tv/charts took a nosedive into the toilet!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSR0-X6nwpA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_xQB7J4UWQ

.......ahhh feel all that youth flooding back