Screamadelica

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

spzretent
Site Admin

Screamadelica

Post by spzretent »

After the Andrew Weatherall- A Pox On The Pioneers discussion I decided to not only play Screamadelica but finally read the interviews with Andrew Innes + Bobby Gillespie and the separate Andrew Weatherall one.
I play Screamadelica at least 4 or 5 times a year. No idea why this time it hit me the way it did.
The time period Screamadelica came out it seemed an amazing record was coming out every month or two. What is even more amazing is the whole acid house scene never really made it here in the US. Certainly not to the extent it did in the UK. Somehow Screamadelica did well enough here.
This record has aged so much better than most of the others from this time period. To my ears anyway. It is timeless. It is uplifting. It is euphoric. It is a masterpiece.
The interviews make it even more of a miracle that it was made. Band at low ebb have a chance meeting with a up and coming DJ. Tell him to deconstruct their new song and Bam!
One Dove- Morning Dove White playing in the background. Pretty much Screamadelica's sister record. So good.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
angelsighs
Known user

Re: Screamadelica

Post by angelsighs »

it's a great album. as the years have gone on I've gone right off Primal Scream generally speaking, but this is still a cracker.
and I don't know how it did it, but it's definitely aged well. very lucky for an album which just seemed to be part of a very specific zeitgeist at the time
One Asian Under A Groove
Known user

Post by One Asian Under A Groove »

Second only to LAGWAFIS as my favourite album. My favourite pieces of music tend to have little moments in them which just defy description (I posted a thread about such moments in Spiritualized songs a while back) - Screamadelica has loads of them. The "shhhh" in Movin' On Up. The cackled laughter that signals the arrival of the beat in Don't Fight It, Feel It. The drop (for want of a better word) in Higher Than The Sun, soon followed by the saxophone soaring off into the sky. All ten minutes of Come Together, which could go on forever and would still end too quickly. Throb's double power chords in Loaded. The "ooh-wooh-ooh" bit as the saxophone erupts in I'm Coming Down. The bubbling bass in HTTS: A Dub Symphony In Two Parts).

Even the artwork is perfect. So perfect that I have it on my wrist. Primal Scream are somewhat hit and miss for me now - Vanishing Point and XTRMNTR are phenomenal, Riot City Blues and Beautiful Future are not. More Light was good, in that they had a lot of mad noises on there to balance the Rolling Stones tribute thing. But they get a free pass for life as far as I'm concerned, because of Screamadelica.

Edit: deleted the photo because it makes a mess of this page.
Last edited by One Asian Under A Groove on Wed May 27, 2015 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

I also hold this album very high in my best of lists. I also concur that Vanishing Point and Exterminator are also quite outstanding. The tours around that time were off the hook and will live long in the memory. Now they are merely a pastiche of the bad I once loved, shame. Should have knocked it on the head after Riot shitty blues
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Always been in my top ten albums of all time. It changed the indie sound, rock and house mixed together.

I play it on birthday every year because it was released on it in 91.

M
Design.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

What is the best vinyl version of Screamadelica? I've been meaning to purchase a copy for ages. I see a Plain Recordings pressing on eBay, but I'm hesitant to buy anything by them. I also see Music On Vinyl and Simply Vinyl pressings. Those should be pretty good, right? Any suggestions?

EDIT: I did some research and the 2011 reissue from Music On Vinyl is the Kevin Shields remaster, which everyone says is great, so I'm going to go with that. Found a copy from a U.S. seller for $28.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

TheWarmth wrote:
EDIT: I did some research and the 2011 reissue from Music On Vinyl is the Kevin Shields remaster, which everyone says is great, so I'm going to go with that. Found a copy from a U.S. seller for $28.
This - without a doubt an amazing sounding pressing.
O P 8
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I have that and can vouch for it. Additionally it comes with that amazing booklet with the interviews mentioned.
The RSD red vinyl version w/Dixie Narco 12" is great as well.
I would stay away from any Plain reissue. Also Simply Vinyl have a pretty awful reputation.
Odd there are so many different pressings.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

I have two.

UK Original and a German original pressing. The UK is superior in sound. I really wanted that Kevin Shields remaster and need to get a hold of it since you guys are raving about it.

M
Design.
One Asian Under A Groove
Known user

Post by One Asian Under A Groove »

After reading this topic, I sat myself down to listen to the Screamadelica record that I have, which I bought some time ago but never actually listened to (back in the days when I used to frame my favourite records instead of playing them). I have a Plain Recordings reissue from 2003 (I also have the 20th anniversary reissue box set so presumably that will be the Kevin Shields remastered pressing). I'm not really able to explain the differences in sound properly, but I can tell you one thing: the version of Come Together that I have on the Plain Recordings reissue is the full-length Farley remix, not the Weatherall album version. I do like the Farley version, but it's not a patch on Weatherall's remix! I wonder why on earth they put that version on it?
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I think Primal Scream are a band that have always walked a fine line between greatness and crapness. for me XTMNRTR is the only other solid album except for Screamadelica. they've done a lot of crap since, but there are still some gems to be had.
if you look at the overall picture though, they are never quite as convincing as they should be.
When Bobby goes on about "high energy rock n roll" then they go out and play a warmed up Stones pastiche, it makes me laugh..
Hedspace
Known user

Post by Hedspace »

a game changer.
all I remember from the 92 Screamadelica gig in the SFX Dublin is the cover of No Fun. i didnt fight it and certainly felt it

I can remember purchasing the gorgeously striking gatefold album back around the time of its release. I was blown away having heard loaded on snub tv or 120 minutes. …not sure which but it was a wtf moment. Headed for a few post shop pints along the quays that Saturday. It was late afternoon and the place I was brought to was more or less empty so I ordered a pint and asked the dj guy who was gearing up for the evening had he heard it, he hadn’t and asked him would it be ok if he gave it a spin, something to listen to in the background …Didn’t hear anything for a while so I approached and asked him what he thought. In his words “thats shite". He didn't play it, I haven’t returned since and the rest is rock n roll history.

Higher than the Sun ,both Orb extended and Dub symphony versions, are still astounding.
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

Fantastic life changing album for me and one I still love and will love forever more. No need for me to wax lyrical here about it as I'm sure there's been previous threads about it or the Scream in general. It's an amazing album ,pure and simple. Nothing of worth since XTMNTR though, and bits of Evil Heat, which means I don't pay much attention to them anymore. More Light was a step up again but only because it wasn't as crap as the previous two efforts. In terms of the Screamadelica releases I've got the UK original, purchased on the day of release, plus the cd, and then the Shields remasters from a few years back, on cd and double disc red vinyl. It's a great pressing but to be honest I'm not sure if differs that much from the original. The booklet with the vinyl is great but they fucked up as some of the text in it repeats itself, which goes to show the person in charge of it didn't have a fine eye for detail, which is a shame.
Last edited by johnnyboy on Thu May 28, 2015 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

My point was this past weekend was beautiful here. Windows open, fresh air flowing through the house, I had a revelation while spinning Screamadelica. I turned up the volume thinking my neighbors may ask me to turn it down or shut my windows(neither happened) but I just thought, fuck it people need to hear this record. Even 20+ years later.
The revelation being how timeless this record sounds compared to other records that came out in that era. Not so much timeless as it actually sounds even better now.
These include:
Ride- Nowhere
My Bloody Valetine- Loveless
Stone Roses
Slowdive etc.
While I know people here love these bands and records none of these records sound as timeless to me as Screamadelica. That is a difficult thing to do.
In regards to the PS catalog lets face it Screamadelica seems to be the one that doesn't belong. I have bought every PS record before and after Screamadelica and outside of a few songs on each I cant really say I get into them at all.
I did tell a friend who loves them I will give More Light a spin in the car today as he swears by it. I keep trying.

I have moved onto The Beta Band and that 6 CD Regal Years box set. So good. I have all the time in the world for the Beta Band family of bands.
I feel a new thread coming.
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

Primal Scream – Screamadelica + Dixie Narco EP (Kevin Shields Remaster) (2011) download

http://wa5hsite.blogspot.co.uk/2011/03/ ... narco.html
“You're not Dostoevsky,' said the citizeness

'Well, who knows, who knows,' he replied.

'Dostoevsky's dead,' said the citizeness, but somehow not very confidently.

'I protest!' Behemoth exclaimed hotly. 'Dostoevsky is immortal!”
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Here's part one of the documentary on the album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zbtyDhDZAw
Design.
Hedspace
Known user

Post by Hedspace »

The music that inspired the Primal Scream album ‘Screamadelica

http://testpressing.org/2010/11/radio-a ... amadelica/

1 week of wild on the road rock n roll mayhem. excerpts from the Scream Dream Diaries of Mr Weatherall
http://testpressing.org/2009/09/the-fac ... mber-1991/
Last edited by Hedspace on Sun May 31, 2015 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Classic Albums: Screamadelica

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zbtyDhDZAw

B,

M
Design.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I disagree with everyone who dismisses the Scream's post-Screamadelica material. Vanishing Point and XTRMNTR are stone cold classics. I actually like both of those albums better than Screamadelica. I also think More Light is amazing, barring a couple of songs that don't do much for me.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

Thank you FM Spaceman. I do like your mixes. I will download and enjoy.
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

^^^^^ Hell Yeaaaargh

i'm all over that Balearic Mix .

*Doffs Cap*... grabbed the Creation Dance Mix you referenced in an earlier post; amazing stuff. Thankyou
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

FM Spaceman wrote:FMSPACEMAN THE BALEARIC COLLECTION ( Extra Extras ) ...

Links And Tracklisting Will Appear Here Soon ...

Watch The Skies ! ...
ah synchronicity. this all coincides with an impending ecstasy fuelled weekend of my own. outstanding efforts Spaceman and J Cat...and Brother Edy
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

Many, many thanks!~
A saint
Known user

Post by A saint »

This is an absolute treasure trove. For an American, these tunes probably have less nostalgic/historical weight, which is all the more reason to be thankful that you introduce me (us) to many --more than half-- of them.

Thanks so much.
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

That's a fucking brilliant tracklist, FMSpaceman, can't wait to get on that when I get home. Thanks for compiling that.

Gat Decor - Passion - one of my top 10 G.O.A.T. Love love love.
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

^^^ fucking heck!

megalolz :shock: :D
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

Clearly, the drugs do work.

Bless you and the cat for this labor of love . My mash up weekend will become infinitley better!

X
cantona
Known user

Post by cantona »

Hedspace wrote:The music that inspired the Primal Scream album ‘Screamadelica

1 week of wild on the road rock n roll mayhem. excerpts from the Scream Dream Diaries of Mr Weatherall
Anyone with a link to a mp3 of this?
Hedspace
Known user

Post by Hedspace »

cantona wrote:
Hedspace wrote:The music that inspired the Primal Scream album ‘Screamadelica

Anyone with a link to a mp3 of this?
follow this URL then right click on the page and save as
http://testpressing.org/audio/108-The-M ... delica.mp3
A saint
Known user

Post by A saint »

Yes, please to the Booster Pack, Mr. Spaceman. I've been playing the original set nonstop now for three days.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

FM Spaceman wrote:I Humbly Apologise For Derailing This Thread With My So Called "BALEARIC COLLECTION" ...

I Think It's Time I Got This Thread Back On Track With A Psychedelic Shack Relic ...

This Is Andrew Weatherall's Monster 2h50m DJ Set From A SCREAMADELICA 20th ANNIVERSARY AFTER PARTY Back In 2011 ...

Jeffrey Cat And I Sincerely Hope You Enjoy It ...

https://soundcloud.com/lhanson/andrew-weatherall-primal

Peace And Love As Always ...

Your Little Spiritualized And Screamadelicized Friends ...

Jeffrey And FM xx xx ...
Dear Jeffrey and FM.

Absolutely no apologies needed. Your posts and incredible choice downloads are more than very welcome here!

I haven't yet touched that unbelievable Balearic selection - way too much good stuff there and I simply don't have the time to absorb it all, but it looks amazing.

I also believe you can never have too much of the works of Lord Andrew Weatherall in your life, that last post - would that happen to be the after show set Mr Weatherall played after the Screamadelica show in Glasgow, 18 March 2011? In this awesome club called Chambre 69?

I had tickets for that show. In the same evening I managed to lose, and and find, and ultimately lose again the tickets for that one - the latter time I believe at the front of the Glasgow SECC while the Scream played their wild, extended take of 'Come Together'...

Who knows though - it was certainly that kind of evening.

Anyway - keep coming with the musical goodness!
O P 8
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Also - talking of the legendary Mr Weatherall, a pal sent this to me only yesterday, a short interview where he talks about his primal influences and beyond. I was very cheered to see one particular album jump out during the shots of his studio.
Check around 01:37 :wink:

O P 8
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

BzaInSpace wrote:
FM Spaceman wrote:
This Is Andrew Weatherall's Monster 2h50m DJ Set From A SCREAMADELICA 20th ANNIVERSARY AFTER PARTY Back In 2011 ...

Jeffrey Cat And I Sincerely Hope You Enjoy It ...

https://soundcloud.com/lhanson/andrew-weatherall-primal
would that happen to be the after show set Mr Weatherall played after the Screamadelica show in Glasgow, 18 March 2011? In this awesome club called Chambre 69?
To answer my own question - it is indeed! Around 13 mins in there is an astonishing version of 'Little Fluffy Clouds' - 'Fluffy The Vampire' by Olav Brekke Mathisen...
O P 8
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

FM Spaceman wrote:
However Any SPIRITUALIZED Will Do ...

It's Great To See That Weatherall Is A Fan ...

The Man's Definitely Got Taste ...

Thank You For Posting That Clip BZA ...

Wonderful Stuff As Always ...

PS Jeffrey Cat And I Can't Wait To See The Mighty LIZED At Glastonbury This Weekend ( Via The BBC iPlayer ) ...

Roll On Saturday ...

Meow Meow ...
I'm so out of the loop I'd forgotten that it was Glastonbury this weekend, but good call, hopefully they're on later as I'm working all weekend...

I wonder then if you've heard the mighty Two Lone Swordsmen's epic, incendiary and completely freaked-out version/demolition of 'Come Together'?

"How Big Are Your Eyes?" :shock:
O P 8
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

Awright... broke down and ordered the reissue from Plain.

anyone punting remixes or singles from this era, let me know. or after... stateside (US) sellers are best for me, due to exchange rate and shipping costs.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Gah ... not the Plain Recordings one!
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

Someone find me an affordable better pressing! They are like $40+++