lost bootleg

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

greenskinner
Known user

lost bootleg

Post by greenskinner »

Like many of, I have a lot of spacemen3 & spiritualized material, including dozens of bootlegs.
Unfortunately I have lost one of my absolute favourites.
It was a taped copy of 3 just songs, and I assumed it was a Peel Session, but I can find no reference to it anywhere.
I lost it a while back, and my memory isn't what it used to be, but I am absolutely positive one of the songs was Take Your Time. The other two, I think, were Stay with me don't go, and Walking with Jesus.
It must have been recorded around about the time of the Pure Phase Tour.

Can anyone tell me what this tape was a recording of?

Is there anywhere I can download a copy?

Would appreciate your help!!
Jebus Sabes
Known user

Re: lost bootleg

Post by Jebus Sabes »

Hi

Sounds like the last Peel session Spiritualized did, which are included on this bootleg:

http://www.discogs.com/Spiritualized-Ra ... ase/886987

April 18, 1995 - J. Peel
Take Your Time 5:21
Walkin' With Jesus 6:16
Don't Go 4:35

The three tracks might be in this collection:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ya8lv25cpywfg ... ssions.zip

Found in this thread:
http://spiritualized.band/viewtopic.php ... 00#p124099
greenskinner
Known user

Post by greenskinner »

Thanks.
Yes, it must be the 95 Peel Session.
I'd checked through the Peel Sessions before, and could't find it, but it seems to be listed now!!!
I've checked out the Mark Radcliffe file, and even though the 3 songs are grouped together here, I don't think they are the same recordings - I remember Take Your Time being much slower and longer. I could be wrong. It's a shame that the Mark Radcliffe stuff is so poor on the sound - there's a lot of distortion on the louder bits.
It's also a shame the 'radio' bootleg is £35
Stay with me, don't go is on You Tube, but unfortunatley the other 2 don't seem to be anywhere, except perhaps the £35 disk.
Jebus Sabes
Known user

Post by Jebus Sabes »

Here's my 192kb mp3 version of the Radio Sessions bootleg CD linked above:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/nnizyqv8gx2kc ... s.zip?dl=0
good dope/good fun
Known user

Post by good dope/good fun »

I never thought the Mark Radcliffe stuff sounded bad.
Quite the contrary.
greenskinner
Known user

Post by greenskinner »

Thanks Jebus Sabes.
That's sounding a lot better than my download of the Mark Radcliffe collection.
Thoe 3 tracks take me right back to that Pure Phase Tour sound.
I think that Glastonbury '93 and the Pure Phase Tour are my favourite 2 Spiritualized gigs.
The Pure Phase gig was in the Arches in Glasgow though, and that's a venue and a half. It's a tragedy that it's just lost it's license (people were taking drugs there apparently)
Seeing Spiritualized in a railway tunnel, with all those images projected off their mirror glitterball on to the walls of the tunnel will always stick in my very poor memory, as one of the absolute highlights of my gigging experience.
Jebus Sabes
Known user

Post by Jebus Sabes »

You're welcome. You prompted me to do a little digging among my Spiritualized radio session mp3s.

The Radcliffe 1992 session does have some fm radio interference, and could be a mono recording? But the Radcliffe 1993 session is a clearer recording than the 1992 session.

Also, there's another bootleg with an upgrade in quality for the Radcliffe 1993 and Peel 1995 sessions. It's called 'Letting it flow', and there's info here:
http://spiritualized.band/viewtopic.php ... low#p85567

'Letting it flow' does not contain the Radcliffe 1992 session, though.
greenskinner
Known user

Post by greenskinner »

Thanks again.
Unfortunately, the rapidshare option has closed down, and I can't seem to open the megaupload link.
A FLAC copy would have been sweet.
But I'll keep an eye out for this.
I know a bloke in edinburgh who burns quite a few of Jason's bootlegs on to disk and flogs them in his record shop. I'll try him.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Letting It Flow - The BBC Sessions

01. Let It Flow (Mark Radcliffe 11 Aug 1993) 4:44
02. Born Never Asked / Electric Mainline (Mark Radcliffe 11 Aug 1993) 6:42
03. Sway (Mark Radcliffe 11 Aug 1993) 5:46
04. Smiles (John Peel 15 March 1992) 4:57
05. Take Your Time (John Peel 31 Jan 1995) 5:30
06. Stay With Me (John Peel 31 Jan 1995) 4:44
07. Walking With Jesus ( (John Peel 31 Jan 1995) 6:22
08. Come Together (Mary Anne Hobbs 22 Jan 1998) 3:35
09. Electric Mainline (Mary Anne Hobbs 22 Jan 1998) 7:01
10. I Am What I Am (Mary Anne Hobbs 22 Jan 1998) 3:18
11. Cop Shoot Cop... (Mary Anne Hobbs 22 Jan 1998) 21:55
O P 8
good dope/good fun
Known user

What's the one with the Let It Flow into an insane Things'll Never Be The Same?
I have it on my Mark Radcliffe collection.
I had that one-two combo in heavy rotation for a long period.
It's that good.
Last edited by good dope/good fun on Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

I have Friendly Fire and Blue on Blue in FLAC if anyone needs them.
greenskinner
Known user

Post by greenskinner »

Just downloaded your Letting it Flow BzaInSpace.
Excellent listening - thanks for that.

good dope/good fun - the Let it Flow into Things'll Never be the Same sounds like the Pure Phase tour.
I'm sure that these 2 were played together around the middle of the gig, with maybe So Hot - Wash Away all my Tears following.
They must have recorded this section of the tour setlist for the radio, but I've never heard it.
I have heard Things'll Never be the Same live four or five times - he played it a lot around '92 to '97, but the Pure Phase version was clearly the best - and he was projecting lazer images all over the walls of arms getting perforated by hyperdermics to the beat of the song. It was one of the most intense Spiritualized experiences I have ever had (from around 25 gigs).
good dope/good fun
Known user

Here's the audio for the Let It Flow > Things'll Never Be The Same.
I zipped it and put it in dropbox.
Feel free to download and listen.

Like I said, it's on my copy of the Mark Radcliffe sessions.
Could be but now it's questioned.
Either way, it's some of the finer versions of both songs I've heard.

Check it out for yourself.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1ow2iii74lp34 ... e.zip?dl=0
greenskinner
Known user

Post by greenskinner »

Good Dope - Just played your Let it Flow & Things'll Never be the Same recording.
I haven't always been a fan of Things'll Never...
In recent years Jason has tended to play Take me to the Other Side as his bass driven Spaceman3 song, and I prefer it.
But this version really rocks, and it's got excellent delay/echo on the vocals, and crystal clear wah wah on the lead guitar.
Good spot! I can see it getting on a few of my playlists.
Thanks,
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

good dope/good fun wrote:Here's the audio for the Let It Flow > Things'll Never Be The Same.
I zipped it and put it in dropbox.
Feel free to download and listen.

Like I said, it's on my copy of the Mark Radcliffe sessions.
Could be but now it's questioned.
Either way, it's some of the finer versions of both songs I've heard.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1ow2iii74lp34 ... Flow%20%3E
%20Things%27ll%20Never%20Be%20The%20Same.zip?dl=0
Just been going through my hard drive in search of this and i don't have it. I've got the various radio session compilations but Things'll Never... isn't on any of them. Very odd :?

Fantastic fucking version though :D 8)
greenskinner wrote:Good Dope - Just played your Let it Flow & Things'll Never be the Same recording.
In recent years Jason has tended to play Take me to the Other Side as his bass driven Spaceman3 song, and I prefer it.
:shock: Don't think i've ever known anyone not like Things'll Never... I'm the opposite I've never really liked Spiritualized's take on TMTTOS. Too 'Rawk' for me.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
greenskinner
Known user

Post by greenskinner »

It's just not my favourite Spacemen3 song.
I thought that they did excellent versions at Glasto '93 and on the Pure Phase tour, but other live versions have lacked something for me - sort of going through ther motions. There was a time when Things'll Never... and Walking with Jesus were the staple covers that he rolled out most gigs ('93 to '97), and I think that they got a bit tired. But he's done amazing versions of So Hot, Feel So Sad/Drive, TMTTOS and the re-invented Lord Can you Here Me in the last few years. I love a Spiritualized Spacemen3 song, and it's been great that he's been mixing them up a bit.
Greenskinner
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

and come down easy :D
“You're not Dostoevsky,' said the citizeness

'Well, who knows, who knows,' he replied.

'Dostoevsky's dead,' said the citizeness, but somehow not very confidently.

'I protest!' Behemoth exclaimed hotly. 'Dostoevsky is immortal!”
greenskinner
Known user

Post by greenskinner »

It's clear that this is the place to come for bootleg info.
So I have another question.
In my humble opinion, the Pure Phase Tour was Spiritualized at their very best - is there a bootleg out there of any of the Pure Phase Tour gigs?
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

There's loads of the 1995 shows, particularly in the U.S., they toured a lot there that year. (Twice?)

There is also quite a few from 1993, I'll need to check some CD-Rs I have somewhere.

There is the great Worthing Pier Pavilion, 09 July 1994 gig that was an early 'must hear' show.

I know I started a remaster of it at one point that I will finish eventually! Mention of 'The Slide Song' from it on the "Dream gig" thread elsewhere...

Same with Glastonbury 1993. Some of the tracks were on the Let It Flow EP set but Sunray sent me other tracks a long time ago and I planned to redo the whole thing - apologies Sunray!!

Can confirm it is definitely on the to-do list along with those soundboard tapes from the U.S. Alan sent me.
O P 8
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

sunray wrote:
good dope/good fun wrote:Here's the audio for the Let It Flow > Things'll Never Be The Same.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1ow2iii74lp34 ... Flow%20%3E
%20Things%27ll%20Never%20Be%20The%20Same.zip?dl=0
Just been going through my hard drive in search of this and i don't have it. I've got the various radio session compilations but Things'll Never... isn't on any of them. Very odd :?

Fantastic fucking version though :D 8)
greenskinner wrote:Good Dope - Just played your Let it Flow & Things'll Never be the Same recording.
:shock: Don't think i've ever known anyone not like Things'll Never... I'm the opposite I've never really liked Spiritualized's take on TMTTOS. Too 'Rawk' for me.
Weirdly enough for years 'Take Me To The Other Side' kinda passed me by.

This was until one of the most profound and incredible music experiences of my entire life, which occurred near the end of Spiritualized at the Glasgow ABC in October 2008. That show in itself was dynamite - they had returned from a long tour of the US and were playing with enhanced psychedelic telepathy, and the sound was just stunning. The opening noise sections through 'Amazing Grace'>'You Lie You Cheat'>'Shine A Light' actually made me feel uneasy - I had consumed nothing more than a beer prior, but it was almost disturbing, bass rattling my ribcage and that...

Anyway. They did this monstrous end section of 'She Kissed Me'>'Come Together'>'Take Me To The Other Side', and the latter track - in the spirit of Lou Reed - caused "my mind to split open".

The volume had become overbearing and totally intense, and that pummeling, monolithic riff just killed me. The best bit however was in the middle part where the entire sound of the band dropped away, seemingly through Jason's pedal.

It was like looking into a black hole.

It left Jason to do this freeform feedback stuff, echoing and tremeloing away into oblivion, while the band continued away at low volume. Slowly the band increased in volume again and then they hit this insane kind of peak. The visuals were stunning, I definitely remember strobes and this weird star-field thing.

I was ecstatic after that show for days. (The finished with 'Lord Can You Hear Me' as an encore too!)

That take of that song changed my life really - one of those unforgettable musical experiences that still sends shivers down my spine years later.
O P 8
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Still on the ABC 2008 kick - I love reading back the blown-away post-gig comments - including some typically frothing shit from yours truly!

The bootleg from Tufty was really good I remember, although that crazy filtered thing that happened during 'Take Me To The Other Side' was of course only a rough approximation of actually being there - it was like the air-pressure suddenly fell.

Scientifically, with the reduction in the massive epic sound being blown through the speakers, that actually could be quite correct... :oops:
O P 8
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

is this from that ABC gig?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGOB6oM4464

is there full audio?
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Wow. Thanks Dave - that sounds, well, amazing!

I can't locate the Glasgow 2008 show at all, so I'm assuming it was never replaced after my old external HD died. Sounds better than I remember, but that could well be the audio from Tufty's bootleg.

Tufty, if you're out there, any chance of a re-up for that show?
O P 8
greenskinner
Known user

Post by greenskinner »

Yes, I think that I was at that ABC one. And Lord Can you Hear me Now is a showstopper to finish with.
TMTTOS is a very base driven 'rock' track, in a similar vein to Things'll Never... and I was never a massive fan.
But I've been to shows where these tracks have blown me away.
The gig you mention and a show at the Edinburgh Corn Exchange for TMTTOS, and Glasto '93 and the Pure Phase Tour in '95 (at the Arches) for Things'll Never be the Same.

BzaInSpace - are there links to the '95 Shows or the '94 at Worthing Pier Pavilion ?
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

BzaInSpace wrote:Wow. Thanks Dave - that sounds, well, amazing!

I can't locate the Glasgow 2008 show at all, so I'm assuming it was never replaced after my old external HD died. Sounds better than I remember, but that could well be the audio from Tufty's bootleg.

Tufty, if you're out there, any chance of a re-up for that show?
i have that one on a backup drive. i'll upload it to my dropbox later today. tufty shared a ton of his amazing recordings and i have most of them on my backup drive- i really wish his blog still existed.
greenskinner wrote:
BzaInSpace - are there links to the '95 Shows or the '94 at Worthing Pier Pavilion ?
i've got the worthing pier pavilion show (in flac, i believe)-

pt. 1- https://www.dropbox.com/s/nqlr2vh89yhzr ... 1.zip?dl=0

pt. 2- https://www.dropbox.com/s/woermnz0158m2 ... 2.zip?dl=0
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

greenskinner wrote: BzaInSpace - are there links to the '95 Shows or the '94 at Worthing Pier Pavilion ?
Hey, check out the bootlegs thread, just posted a remaster of the Pier Pavilion gig from 1994...
O P 8
Tufty
Known user

Post by Tufty »

Spiritualized
ABC Glasgow
Wednesday 8th October 2008

sony D50 > WAV > audacity > FLAC > you

01 Intro
02 Amazing Grace
03 You Lie You Cheat
04 Shine A Light
05 Cheapster
06 Soul On Fire
07 Sweet Talk
08 Sitting On Fire
09 Walking With Jesus
10 Oh Baby
11 Rated X
12 I Think I'm In Love
13 Lay Back In The Sun
14 Death Take Your Fiddle
15 Life Is A Problem
16 Ladies & Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space
17 She Kissed Me (It Felt Like A Hit)
18 Come Together
19 Take Me To The Other Side
20 crowd
21 Lord Can You Hear Me

Spiritualized-ABC Glasgow-Wednesday 8th October 2008.rar 617.6 MB
https://mega.co.nz/#!EtoQhAAJ!L9dIphQpR ... XXSjg0kvgA

After reading BZA's brilliant description of the gig I had to listen to this again, for first time in years!

Shalloboi, thanks for the kind words man. All the recordings uploaded on my blogs got decimated when the US DOJ decided to destroy Megaupload 3 years ago. Was a real shame as a lot of time went into uploading stuff to share, Spiritualized boots especially.

The Spiritualized blog is still going - http://spiritualizedlive.blogspot.co.uk

After I lost my uploads (Megaupload) I decided to first and foremost concentrate on trying to get an accurate list of gig dates, using tickets, posters, reviews, bootlegs, videos, whatever. There's still tons of dates missing. The dream would be to have a substantial amount of shows uploaded for anyone to download. I've put a few bits and pieces up and have borrowed some links from others. I'm sure we all have stuff other people don't have; I always really appreciate hearing new stuff from the kind people who take the time to upload on here.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Tufty, you're the man.

Many heartfelt thanks for re-upping this one.

Down the line I guess that's the kind of dream for a future & proper Spz site, having a comprehensive gigography with listings, photos, memories and of course bootlegs...

Watch this... Space.
O P 8
SpaceLine
Known user

Post by SpaceLine »

Please let me know if you ever need any shows. I have a pretty large collection in FLAC format on an external drive. I would be more than happy to send a copy of the entire drive if someone is willing to post and/or share them. Collection is fairly comprehensive up until 2006 or so and loads of sp3 too.
good dope/good fun
Known user

^^^^
Yeah.
I used to read through your collection quite often.
If I recall you had it categorized by era.

I'm still interested in hearing the Royal Albert Hall shows from 1997 in their original format.
If anyone has those handy...
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

SpaceLine wrote:Please let me know if you ever need any shows. I have a pretty large collection in FLAC format on an external drive. I would be more than happy to send a copy of the entire drive if someone is willing to post and/or share them. Collection is fairly comprehensive up until 2006 or so and loads of sp3 too.
"The Dream We All Dream Of..."

Or at least some of us - ha!

I'm certainly down with creating a bunch of Dropbox (who have lost their initial upload limit nonsense) accounts to service this, particularly when in Uni with the awesome fibre optic speeds...

mega.co.nz is pretty good too as it's way faster than most of the filesharing sites.

Until something reasonably permanent is sorted at last there is no problems here with sharing.

Personally... I'd love to see and hear the collection you have SpaceLine.

I'm pretty sure between us all we could build a fairly comprehensive boot collection.
O P 8
SpaceLine
Known user

Post by SpaceLine »

Good news is I turned on my old computer, hooked up hard drive and found all the shows.

Bad news is I can't find a decent list of what I have. I found an older list but it is missing a lot.

I was wrong about years too, I stopped collecting in earnest in 2004.

I'd say approximately 200 spz recordings and 40 or so sp3. In all honesty I won't sort through it all this decade so I would love to pass it on. Tomorrow I'll figure out how big it all is. Shows are grouped by year and all files have dates in name so fairly organized. Just needs a new caretaker!
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

lost bootleg

Post by BzaInSpace »

I'll be happy to take this mission on mate. Likely it will take some time to sort and shit and if I get into the whole remastering thing it could well be a decade before anything is done...

In saying that the setlists and stuff should be easy enough to sort.

PM me and we'll sort something out...
O P 8
Multi
Known user

Post by Multi »

BzaInSpace wrote:I'll be happy to take this mission on mate. Likely it will take some time to sort and shit and if I get into the whole remastering thing it could well be a decade before anything is done...

In saying that the setlists and stuff should be easy enough to sort.

PM me and we'll sort something out...
I can help with server hosting. There is no need for outside parties like megaupload/dropbox/etc. that eventually discontinue the download.
greenskinner
Known user

Post by greenskinner »

Clearly, if there is a recording of anything Jason has done, one of you guys is likely to have it.
So I have one more request.
A pal of mine ran a record shop in the 90s, and I got a copy of the original white Label promo for Ladies & Gentlemen.
As I am sure you all know, this had a different version of the opening track, with a bit more elvis involved.
The white labels were all recalled, and any discs that the record company had burnt had to re-pressed - due to legal issues with the elvis estate.
Now I can't find my recording (there's a common theme here I know).
So, to cut a long story short - does anyone have a recording of the 'elvis' ladies & gentlemen?
Would be much appreciated.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Yep.
It was was finally released on the 2009 LAG box.

Will upload shortly along with some other stuff...
O P 8
greenskinner
Known user

Post by greenskinner »

Brilliant.
Thanks BzaInSpace.
I had no idea it finally got released. So the issues with the Pressley estate disappeared then?

Looks like there's a plan to get a whole load of stuff in one place (maybe on Multi's server), and you are playing a part in it.
Can't wait to see that happening.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

apparently they came to some sort of agreement with the Presley estate. may have had something to do with "Can't Help Falling in Love" being appended to the song title!
ironic when Elvis never wrote a song in his life.

I assume all subsequent issues of Ladies & Gentlemen now have that version on?
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

Still can't believe I didn't see this gig. Looking back, I don't honestly think that I had a good reason not to be there. By all accounts and by the bootleg, it was a monumental and euphoric night. This show is definitely up there with the Forever Changes tour in 2005 as the gig I most regret missing in my lifetime.

I'm so glad and feel lucky that we have such fantastic people on here recording the goods, and others (well, mostly one other eh BZA?) who are willing to remaster them for the optimum enjoyment of us poor souls who didn't witness them first hand. Spiritualized have (only) made 7 albums in 25 years, yet due to the wealth of quality live recordings from the fans, they dominate my iPod purely on the number of individual tracks I have from them. Maybe one day I'll count how many different versions of WWJ or Shine A Light I have on my iPod!
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

was there ever a bridge song live version? i think i read they did it on the us leg of the tour?
“You're not Dostoevsky,' said the citizeness

'Well, who knows, who knows,' he replied.

'Dostoevsky's dead,' said the citizeness, but somehow not very confidently.

'I protest!' Behemoth exclaimed hotly. 'Dostoevsky is immortal!”
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

The Dr wrote:was there ever a bridge song live version? i think i read they did it on the us leg of the tour?
wasn't there a review of the Toronto show at Massey Hall saying they did 'the bridge song'? It's always annoyed me that a recording of that one hasn't materialized. There's also the RSD rough trade east performance of it that Jason did solo (which also hasn't really materialized)...