New Mercury Rev

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

mc
Known user

New Mercury Rev

Post by mc »

How wonderfully apposite! Fifteen minutes after I fancy listening to some Rev for the first time in ages, I load up The Quietus and see their a link to a brand-new song:

http://thequietus.com/articles/18154-li ... ercury-rev

It's very much in the Deserter's Songs/Secret Migration mould, which I know will disappoint some folks here. Maybe it's the maudlin mood I'm in right now, but this first listen is sounding utterly gorgeous to these jaded ears... :)
TheWarmth
Known user

Re: New Mercury Rev

Post by TheWarmth »

I saw this today and listened to the track. Pretty cool. I liked Secret Migration quite a bit, so I'll probably be down for this.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Re-interpreting Bobbie Gentry's 'The Delta Sweete' album with a plethora of female singers. Judging by the song in the link methinks this could be rather special. And I haven't said that about the Rev since the David Baker days.
Full info and song here: https://pitchfork.com/news/mercury-rev- ... ute-album/
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

not really followed Mercury Rev for many years but this has piqued my interest. that's quite a line up of vocalists!

I really must check out the recent Harmony Rockets release too
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

The Delta Sweete is a fantastic album. I actually just recently tracked down a vinyl copy. I listened to the preview track and it's great. Looking forward to this.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

covering a whole album using a lineup of female singers kinda sounds like something the Flaming Lips would do.. but I'm sure Mercury Rev will do it in a much classier way!
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

I think I feel it coming on
beaker73
Known user

Post by beaker73 »

Just found out that Mercury Rev have live recordings on bandcamp! Got a show from 2002 for €8 or something that was hires/24 bits and sounds great!
Wouldn’t it be great if Jason did something like this? One can always dream ;)
"I've been drinking all night long, but my hands are steady"
flokie
Known user

Post by flokie »

I'm yet to hear it in full, but there's a great write-up and interview on Stereogum:
https://www.stereogum.com/2030139/mercu ... interview/
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Had a listen today.
For the first two-thirds I was mightily impressed, best thing they'd done in at least 20 years, maybe more. I lost interest in the final third though. But to be fair i'm not a fan of the original versions of 'Penduli Pendulum' and 'Jesseye 'Lizabeth' so it's maybe not a surprise my love began to wane at that juncture.
It's very different to the original, more of a singular vision compared to the variety of styles and tempo on Gentry's version.

They also left out 'Louisiana Man' for some reason. Maybe that's discussed in that Stereogum interview? I've not read it yet. 'Ode To Billie Joe' is tagged on at the end though. I guess that even though it wasn't on the album it's going to be the song to draw people in, hence its inclusion.

On first listen i'd say it was a success, and it also makes me think they've been pissing about for the last two decades. Then again maybe that's down to the source material? All I know is that it's nice to listen to a new Mercury Rev album and find myself enjoying it :D
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
cantona
Known user

Post by cantona »

Good idea but it is disappointing album. It is really a long time since they made something interesting
stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham »

I must admit I don't know the original record (need to sort that). I like the overall vibe of the record, not keen on some of the vocals, but I LOVE the version of Tobacco Road. The "chorus" has almost a Spiritualized feel to it - maybe from the LICD era. Great track!

Ste
freddiehubbard
Known user

Post by freddiehubbard »

stegraham wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:14 am I must admit I don't know the original record (need to sort that). I like the overall vibe of the record, not keen on some of the vocals, but I LOVE the version of Tobacco Road. The "chorus" has almost a Spiritualized feel to it - maybe from the LICD era. Great track!

Ste

you NEED the original!