2009 Uncut interview

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

Starfish
Known user

2009 Uncut interview

Post by Starfish »

Not seen this before - republished by Mojo ahead of Spiritualized's summer festival appearances.

It's one of the most open interviews I've read with JP. He talks about a lot of things I'd only previously heard from other witnesses.

http://www.uncut.co.uk/blog/the-view-fr ... rong-69295
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Re: 2009 Uncut interview

Post by BzaInSpace »

Thank you Starfish - I had the original mag this was published in but it's long lost now.

Yep, totally candid and honest. The story about the making of Pure Phase still blows me away!

The tale of Let It Come Down is incredible. The Bobby Gillespie narrated documentary only scratched the surface - life at the time must have been epic, amazing and challenging and it all bleeds into that album IMO:

155 session musicians? Too many, I think. There are rules for these things. Normally, you have a quartet or a 12-piece, but I just made up the numbers. How many French horns do you want? 11? Why not? 11, that’ll sound great. I was quite in control of it for a while. It was phenomenal. And then I had to mix it. Yeah, it took four years. I just got more and more… Well, I think I was already leaning into the mad wind. My car lived on Abbey Road studios car park until it went green with sap from the tree above it.
I wasn’t sleeping. I was taking a lot of barbiturates, anything to put me to sleep. My girlfriend was pregnant with my first child, and I kept falling out of bed every night, hurting myself, getting more and more fucked up. She said, “If you don’t fucking sort this out, I’m leaving you.” So the next day I went out and bought a mattress that would break my fall… My daughter was born at Abbey Road, and that was when I stopped work. That was my cut off. She’s the youngest ever visitor to that studio.
O P 8