relative records

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

plastic37
Known user

relative records

Post by plastic37 »

Hello,
I just spent £35 on a record.
This is £9 beyond my previous "functional' limit.

I got back from an idyllic holiday to the news that my uncle had died.

Now that everything is (for the moment) done and dusted my visit to town today resulted in me buying The Bees Made Honey In The Lion's Skull as some kind of super duper heavy weight edition.

Oh wow,

I am very familiar with a CD version. This is so much better... and not least cos of the symbolism.

What music items do you own that mark a passing?
Heavy Tourism
Laz69
Known user

Re: relative records

Post by Laz69 »

My cousin died a few years back now but he was probably the only one i had ever really looked up to. He was a year older than me and into similar music and stuff and he was really tight with our shared uncle (my dad's brother/his mum's brother).
He was killed crossing a busy road next to where he lived. Was in hospital for a few days then they switched off the machine. Tragic accident. Anyway, for his funeral, the coffin was brought into the church with Spacemen's Lord Can You Hear Me and after my uncle's eulogy, he had Mojave 3's Got My Sunshine played. Still can't listen to that Mojave 3 track without thinking of him and that day.

I also recall the day i received a phone call at work to say my grandfather was probably not gonna survive the rest of the day. He had been ill for a long time and it was finally taking him. I jumped in my car and shot back home at ridiculous speeds just so i could get to see him one last time. The Boo Radleys Kingsize album was playing in the car as i drove and just as i neared home the album closer, Wilder, came on and i just broke down in tears... real sobbing, eyes streaming stuff. Its such a melancholy track to start with but there is a beautiful, lighter side towards the end which which always lifts the sadness the song brings to me initially.

Dean & Britta's The Sun Is Still Sunny gets me every time. Not so much as a song that reminds me of anyone dying, but this is "my daughter's song" and was one of the first she used to try and sing when she was little. The beautiful vocals of Britta, the gorgeous song arrangement, it just hits all the right emotional buttons with me and i've shed more than a few tears of happiness listening to this and thinking of her. We still sing it together in the car if it comes on.

Yes, i am an emotional cripple... i'm used to it.
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

After losing my mum to Cancer (far to early in life) last September, I often go for albums that she liked/loved or introduced me to.
So admittedly not very unusual, but Dark Side Of The Moon is the one I go back to you time and again. She told me time and again at a very early age this was a close to perfection as is humanly possible for an album. I still tend to agree with her. She recorded it from their battered old turntable onto tape for me and its been a constant ever since.
The other album, which i dont like as much but she loved is Wishbone Ash-Argus, still some good stuff on there.
If i'm in a celebratory mood I put on Duran Duran Rio, again she coped me a tape of this circa 84 and I still think its decent, perfect pop if you will
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

hmmm this is painful just thinking about it.

my mum had 'here comes the sun' at her somewhat premature funeral 4 years ago. I cant listen to that anymore.

my sister died in February aged 35 after loosing a brave battle with cancer. she loved the Roses and the Charlatans. so she wanted Waterfall and She Bangs The Drums at her funeral. not listened to those records since, too painful.

My taste in music has become a lot more abstract as I cannot find much vocal music which is able to articulate how I feel. either lots of pounding and dissonant noise or modern composition / classical / ambient stuff for me at the mo. which is the sort of taste I developed for a few months after my mums death.

Arovane & Hior Chronik – 'in-between'

...a beautiful record for today
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

You have my deepest sympathies Spunder, Hope you are bearing up Ok?. Know what you mean about the vocals. I also tend to opt for the more abstract stuff, kind of takes you wherever you feel like type stuff
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

Aquarian-Time wrote:You have my deepest sympathies Spunder, Hope you are bearing up Ok?. Know what you mean about the vocals. I also tend to opt for the more abstract stuff, kind of takes you wherever you feel like type stuff
thankyou, and to you to from your post. but no, not bearing up at all. apart from a couple of weeks respite thanks to FM Spacemans Balearic Mix, its back to describing the indescribable!! Grief is a strange thing indeed.

back to Basinski and Celer . music from another plane!
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

I understand your sadness, for I have lost almost everyone who I loved beyond words; my family, friends of 40 years and more. It is a good thing I remember Happy Thoughts easily, for I grieve TOO well. I suppose am very sentimental.

Since Music has long been such an important part of my life, almost any and every event of consequence - good OR bad, has some nexus to a particular Musical Piece, or artist; a song, an era, a specific LP, EP or a single of any type; all bring back memories.

When a terribly sad event happens in my life, I tend to have a Radio, usually a shortwave radio, playing in the background; it is usually tuned to another language that I do not understand. I do this on purpose; there is music in the background, but nothing that my memory will tie to the event very well. I understand very clearly the "Here Comes the Sun" phenomena; and I try to avoid it as best I can, although there have been events that are so clearly correlated with some Musical Aspect, it is undeniable and unfortunate; sometimes nothing at all can be done to "undue" this correlation.

I hope you will grieve but recover as soon as you can - at your best pace. Just reading and writing in this Thread causes the memories to cascade in my own mind, and I hope Spunder, that you suffer the event not too much or too long that may hurt you; and I wish you the very best Spunder; I know that these "virtual" people on the SITE are actually quite real - and they too share your loss and feel and remember along with you in each their own way; I know I do; but oftentimes there are no words.

Still, your loss is felt and your sadness understood by those here around you; there are many very good people on this SITE and I hope my poor attempt to convey my Ideas and thoughts to you, gives you at least some solace and feelings of support.
"Everything is a Poison; it is the amount or degree that separates one Poison from another"
Paracelsus
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Well said that man.
Starfish
Known user

Post by Starfish »

Hey Laz

I've not heard that Dean & Britta song before, it's lush.

I suspect JP has, though. The new(ish) Spiritualized track "Perfect Miracle" is very similar. :)