Wilco - free album

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

NightWash
Site Admin

Wilco - free album

Post by NightWash »

For a limited time they seem to offer their album "Start wars" for free: http://wilcoworld.net/

No idea if it is worth listening, just wanted to share ;)
TheWarmth
Known user

Re: Wilco - free album

Post by TheWarmth »

I listened to it this morning. The guitar tones and production are great, but the songs are boring as hell. I love A Ghost Is Born, but it's the only Wilco album that really turns me on, as a perfect blend of experimentation and melodic songwriting (yes, I do prefer it to Yankee Hotel Foxtrot).
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

kind of agree but my assessment wouldn't be quite so harsh. I do like that the production and general sound is messy and a little weird sounding. but the songs themselves don't seem quite there, infact many of the songs themselves could have fitted on the last album.

it does sound like their first album with a little bit of spark for a loong time.
early days, but it still seems to me they will never better that purple patch of Summerteeth>YHF>AGIB
Wensbree
New user

Post by Wensbree »

I like it; agree with the previous post, the old days are gone but they're still looking for new ideas. I love that thing Wilco sometimes do where Jeff Tweedy's vocals are closely matched by a falsetto, the bass player I think.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Huge Wilco fan, but most of this album is a bit boring for me... Will probably be a grower, their last few have been that way for me.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

it's not really growing for me, this one.. the songs do seem underdeveloped and it feels kinda throwaway in places but i think that's kind of the point. it's a fun, sometimes exciting record that they didn't overthink or polish too much.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

The last two albums were a bit disappointing. Miss the Foxtrot Hotel and A Ghost Is Born era.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

spacemanrich wrote:The last two albums were a bit disappointing. Miss the Foxtrot Hotel and A Ghost Is Born era.
amen to that.