Mercury Rev- Yerself Is Steam will be 25 years old

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

spzretent
Site Admin

Mercury Rev- Yerself Is Steam will be 25 years old

Post by spzretent »

I remember the day that record came into my shop. On May 14, 2016 it will turn 25 years old. I hope a deluxe edition is in the works. Sounds like there is some interesting unreleased stuff.
Here is an incredible interview with all who were in the band at that point. It is nothing short of a miracle.
http://www.magnetmagazine.com/2015/08/1 ... ore-182655
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
Laz69
Known user

Re: Mercury Rev- Yerself Is Steam will be 25 years old

Post by Laz69 »

Still one of my all time favs and regularly gets a listen along with Lego My Ego, Boces and See You On The Other Side.
sm-iom
Known user

Post by sm-iom »

Saw this incarnation of the band on tour with Spiritualized at Cov Poly. Great night, although not surprised when David Baker left, as performance on the night was erratic to say the least..
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I bought this album on the strength of the NME review which contained a description of the guitar noise in Chasing A Bee as 'the most revolting noise ever vomited through a wah-wah pedal'. I was totally obsessed with wah-wah back then and I purchased Yerself Is Steam immediately even though I had never heard of the band. I was not disappointed - in fact parts of that record still make my hair stand on end (Syringe Mouth particularly).

I also saw their debut UK appearance at the Mean Fiddler which was one of the most ridiculously loud sets ever. At one point I spotted a neat little space in the middle towards the stage - a gap I could just step into and get a better view. So I did and was immediately enveloped in a total wall of noise so intense I actually hopped back to the spot I had moved from. I looked round and everyone smiled at me and nodded - they had all done the same and discovered it was not physically possible to stand where seemingly ALL the noise in the venue was focused, and that was why there was a gap in the audience... It was a great show and they encored with an incendiary version of Young Man Blues which warped the walls of the venue.
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

I was only playing this album (blue vinyl original) on the weekend just gone, still an amazing thing to behold isn't it, and the Car Wash Hair single too. Some crazy sounds and textures going on within it and that power surge of noise in Chasing A Bee still gets me every time. Saw them once or twice around this era, the memorable one being on Dec 2nd 1991 at Cambridge Corn Exchange supporting My Bloody Valentine. Nothing short of mind blowing that whole experience. Stage front and completely blasted by sound and smoking beforehand.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I hope you all read that interview. Like I said one of the best interviews about a record I have ever read. A lot I had no idea about.
The record? A classic w/in some circles including mine.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
LunarTunes
Known user

Post by LunarTunes »

Just read the article. Thanks for posting! One of my all-time favourite albums and one of the best debut albums around. (And it's still their best in my books -- much like the debut album of the band that brought us all together here.) What a fun year or so Jonathan Donahue and Dave Fridmann must have had working on both YERSELF IS STEAM and the Lips' HIT TO DEATH IN THE FUTURE HEAD. Both involved a lot of studio experimentation and trying weird shit out just for the hell of it. I don't think I've ever listened to them back to back before. Think I'll do that today...
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

Bought this after seeing them play with Ride in Leicester, they were pretty shambolic to be honest but there was enough there to make me buy their record. Still gets played a fair bit today, and I remember at the time thinking it blew most other US guitar noise around at the time out of the water. Still sounds completely out there to me.
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

The Mercury Rev '92 live album (supporting Ride at the Brixton Academy) released online a couple of years ago is absolutely mind-blowing - I heartily recommend it to anybody who hasn't heard it yet...
rameses
Known user

Post by rameses »

I love this record.

I bought it when it came out having never heard it, after reading a review (probably NME) and being intrigued by the back cover, as it stated all the songs were however many minutes and 27 seconds long. I played it endlessly, much to my flatmates annoyance. :D

At one stage I even had "Contiuous Trucks and Thunder" as the message on my answering machine. That annoyed just about everyone who rang me up.. :lol:
It's nice to be liked,
But it's better by far to get paid.
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

I really want to find it on vinyl. I have the CD and love it.