stop the press! variations in recent setlists!

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

The Dr
Known user

stop the press! variations in recent setlists!

Post by The Dr »

“You're not Dostoevsky,' said the citizeness

'Well, who knows, who knows,' he replied.

'Dostoevsky's dead,' said the citizeness, but somehow not very confidently.

'I protest!' Behemoth exclaimed hotly. 'Dostoevsky is immortal!”
angelsighs
Known user

Re: stop the press! variations in recent setlists!

Post by angelsighs »

he'd better play Hey Jane in Liverpool or they'll be hell to pay..
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

Not playing Hey Jane does seem odd, but like I just posted on the other thread - I was really impressed with the Glastonbury performance this year - it all sounded really great (including a few tracks I've never been able to get excited about when at a gig).

I wish it hadn't disappeared from the iPlayer so quickly, I'd love a hard copy to go with my valued DVDs of the 2004 red button show from Sunday night ... I was in the vicinity but my memory had gone before sundown, so great to have a high quality record!

It'll be interesting to see what gets added when the festival season is over and they begin playing longer gigs, like the Brudenell.
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

mojo filters wrote:Not playing Hey Jane does seem odd, but like I just posted on the other thread - I was really impressed with the Glastonbury performance this year - it all sounded really great (including a few tracks I've never been able to get excited about when at a gig).

I wish it hadn't disappeared from the iPlayer so quickly, I'd love a hard copy to go with my valued DVDs of the 2004 red button show from Sunday night ... I was in the vicinity but my memory had gone before sundown, so great to have a high quality record!

It'll be interesting to see what gets added when the festival season is over and they begin playing longer gigs, like the Brudenell.
If the Brudenell is a warm up for LPF you might very well get the same set. That was what happened at Brighton before the second last Glasto gig (2008??). I remember being very surprised at (i) how short the gig was (ii) how loud the bloke behind me talked all night (I was up against the barrier) and (iii) how jetlagged I was having flown in from Melbourne the previous day.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

Even though I'm not able to go, I'll be sorry for those who do if it is another short show. When they played Holmfirth in 2013 I thought that was a kind of warm up gig, yet I think they played a regular length set (though I may be wrong about one or both of those).
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
sm-iom
Known user

Post by sm-iom »

Think Holmfirth was a warm up for Truck Festival? I remember it as a "full" show though, fairly close to 90 mins
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

mojo filters wrote:Not playing Hey Jane does seem odd, but like I just posted on the other thread - I was really impressed with the Glastonbury performance this year - it all sounded really great (including a few tracks I've never been able to get excited about when at a gig).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hF1paTtNX9M

mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

sm-iom wrote:Think Holmfirth was a warm up for Truck Festival? I remember it as a "full" show though, fairly close to 90 mins
Your memory is probably better than mine! Did they play the same set at the subsequent festival?

90 mins sounds about right in terms of a slot near or at the top of a typical medium-sized UK festival. Unfortunately the Holmfirth gig doesn't appear to be on setlist.fm for comparison.

Interestingly the 11 track set shown for 2013 Truck seems virtually the same as other gigs in the US immediately before. However it's a fair bit shorter than the next gig on that site - Hopscotch Festival in Raleigh, North Carolina - with a 16 track set including a couple of longer live numbers.
Dave Chappelle
scarecrowz
Known user

Post by scarecrowz »

ascension
Known user

Post by ascension »

I wouldn't mind at all if Oh Baby, Lord Let It Rain On Me, Cheapster, and Soul On Fire disappeared from the setlists and were never played again.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

I reckon holmeforth was two hours plus' proper gig. the high water mark for spiritualized in many years for me
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

scarecrowz wrote:Holmfirth setlist: http://spiritualized.band/viewtopic.php ... 40#p115588
If they do that at LPF then I think they'll do OK..... :wink:
Noddy
Known user

Post by Noddy »

ascension wrote:I wouldn't mind at all if Oh Baby, Lord Let It Rain On Me, Cheapster, and Soul On Fire disappeared from the setlists and were never played again.
Seconded. This is by far the most represented album in set lists throughout the career span of the band, but I think we all agree nowhere near their best? Personally, likes of Let It Flow, If I Were With Her Now, Smiles, Cop Shoot Cop, Angel Sigh need to be in the Liverpool set.

I am djin the Saturday, maybe I should just do a set of my favourite Spiritualized tunes :-D (joke, of course).
Sincerely hope J and co pull it out the bag.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Its strange to think that there were six unreleased songs in the set at the Holmfirth gig and, two years later, we're now down to just Here It Comes (The Road Lets Go). I think as long as the intensity is there and the light show is good then they are going to go down well regardless of the set. Yes, the mid-to-late set "lull" of Rated-X and Oh Baby isn't everyones cup of tea but Spiritualized have always been about using the quiet phases to emphasise the full-on assault sections of the set. Its going to be a real surprise if the set list deviates much from whats gone on before recently but never say never. Four weeks to go till Liverpool and I'm getting excited. I'm also going to be seeing Spirtualized headline the last night at the Rockaway Beach thing down at Butlins in Bognor for a friend's 40th (we couldn't afford Amsterdam in the end so this is somewhat of a compromise :roll: ) so will be interesting to compare and contrast the two sets from, what are effectively, two completely different kinds of festival.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

I doubt the setlist will change much from now until September. If it did, I would like to hear the new tunes rather than a set of oldies. Having said this, it'll be Spiritualized so it should be good. I note that The Heads are playing The Exchange in Bristol on the Friday night, hopefully they are not on at the same time as Jason& Co on the Saturday. That would be very annoying :?
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

olan wrote: I note that The Heads are playing The Exchange in Bristol on the Friday night, hopefully they are not on at the same time as Jason& Co on the Saturday. That would be very annoying :?
I think there will be some kind of overlap at the very least, if not a straight clash. I'll be at The Heads either way, even though it was the announcement of Spiritualized that made me grab a ticket straight away.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Hey Jane
Here It Comes (The Road, Let's Go)
Cheapster
Lord Let It Rain on Me
Electricity
Shine a Light
Electric Mainline
Oh Baby
She Kissed Me (It Felt Like a Hit)
Soul on Fire
Walkin' with Jesus
(Spacemen 3 cover)
Come Together
Take Your Time

This was from Tokyo a few weeks ago. Most reviews of this gig were on the disappointed side until WWJ onward.

I really hope that the Brudenell will be one of those evenings to remember.

Fingers crossed,

M
Design.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

sunray wrote:I think there will be some kind of overlap at the very least, if not a straight clash. I'll be at The Heads either way, even though it was the announcement of Spiritualized that made me grab a ticket straight away.
Do we even know that The Heads are playing on the same day as Spirtiualized yet, let alone if they're on at the same time?
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Shinesalight wrote:
sunray wrote:I think there will be some kind of overlap at the very least, if not a straight clash. I'll be at The Heads either way, even though it was the announcement of Spiritualized that made me grab a ticket straight away.
Do we even know that The Heads are playing on the same day as Spirtiualized yet, let alone if they're on at the same time?
Yep. Fat Paul put up a flyer on Facebook today. The gig is in Bristol on the Friday evening. I was thinking of ditching the first day of the LPF in favour of it, but my Mrs feels that would be unfriendly to those staying at my place :roll: for the festival.

I'll be at front for The Heads irrespective of whether it clashes with Spiritualized or not. I really hope they play the Camp and not the Furnace as the accoustics in the Furnace are a bit shite. I suspect I'll need a lie-down after The Heads.......
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Perhaps the Heads will get the slot Camera had last year where they seemed to come on after Goat who headlined the other stage? If they do clash and the set up is anything like year it will be almost impossible to go to and fro between the two. Remember the security guards locked us in for Goat and we had to leave by the fire door and walk right round the outside of the building to get back in to see White Hills?
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Shinesalight wrote:Perhaps the Heads will get the slot Camera had last year where they seemed to come on after Goat who headlined the other stage? If they do clash and the set up is anything like year it will be almost impossible to go to and fro between the two. Remember the security guards locked us in for Goat and we had to leave by the fire door and walk right round the outside of the building to get back in to see White Hills?
That was the Furnace. Goat sounded horrible, nearly made my head explode. I saw Mogwai in there later last year and it was excellent, as were Mugstar. LPF needed a much bigger PA. Hopefully they will sort it out properly this year.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

olan wrote:
Shinesalight wrote:
Yep. Fat Paul put up a flyer on Facebook today. The gig is in Bristol on the Friday evening. I was thinking of ditching the first day of the LPF in favour of it, but my Mrs feels that would be unfriendly to those staying at my place :roll: for the festival.

I'll be at front for The Heads irrespective of whether it clashes with Spiritualized or not. I really hope they play the Camp and not the Furnace as the accoustics in the Furnace are a bit shite. I suspect I'll need a lie-down after The Heads.......
Cardinal Fuzz stage is Saturday, maybe they'll get the run of the Camp like Rocket last year. Carlton Melton on Friday night apparently.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

So, from the layout of the line-up poster can we assume that if both Spiritualized and The Heads are playing on the Saturday night they'll be the two bands headlining either stage? And therefore does the same apply for Carlton Melton and Factory Floor on the Friday?
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

Shinesalight wrote:Its strange to think that there were six unreleased songs in the set at the Holmfirth gig and, two years later, we're now down to just Here It Comes (The Road Lets Go).
i thought this was interestingly covered in one of the interviews where he said that, with bootlegs, they are essentially giving the album away for free before it can be cost productive. and how many times have we gone 'o this new album is good but this song is better on this bootleg...' etc. i'm starting to think that the bootlegs are ruining albums as there is very little 'wow this is new', a lot of songs are instantly compared to prototype versions

MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Design.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

looking at the setlist, it's not just that the selections are uninspired (if Jason is gonna play some old warhorses, would much rather he did the Ladies & Gents title track, or Smiles, or Lord Can You Hear Me, etc etc) but where is the big blow out at the end? Spz at their best build up to a big head of steam at the end of the set and I don't see Come Together fulfilling that.
even in a mixed bag of a set, I could always count on a big noise jam at the end to keep me satisfied. can you imagine how well a nice big Take Me To The Other Side would go down at a psych fest??