New Order - Music Complete

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

niamhm
Known user

New Order - Music Complete

Post by niamhm »

Quite surprised how much I`m enjoying this album. A long time fan right through the `80`s and early `90`s who kinda lost the connection between Getting Ready and Sirens Call - I never even bothered buying it on any version - so minus Hooky, I never held out very high hopes for this album.

The consensus seems to be that they`ve left the indie/guitar trapping of the last 2 albums behind - Hooky`s doing apparently - and have headed for the dancefloor, no problem with that at all, after a year or longer listening to scuzzy psych/spacerock it sounds really good , clean and fresh, the production is superb actually, and its their best work since ... .. well a long time ago,

Anybody else been listening to it? Any thoughts? Its not their best work by any stretch, but for by a few fillers, and an Iggy Pop appearance that just feels wrong, I feel that about any guest slots on New Order records tbh, its really good, just listened to Nothing But A Fool 3 times straight now what a great tune,

While we`re here, I was going to say put your fav New Order albums in order, but I don`t have fav New Order albums so how about your Top 5 Tunes??

1 Age Of Consent,
2 Love Vigilantes,
3 Regret,
4Touched By The Hand Of God,
5 Everything`s Gone Green,
olan
Known user

Re: New Order - Music Complete

Post by olan »

I've had FLACs of the Japanese version of this LP for a while. It is better than Waiting for the Siren's Call or Get Ready, but that is damning it with faint praise. To me, New Order went off the boil with Brotherhood, especially as a live act. They had a minor recovery with Technique (and were great at Reading that year (1988???), but have been pretty woeful ever since.

Favourite Tracks (in random order)

1. The Perfect Kiss
2. Dreams Never End
3. In a Lonely Place
4. Sunrise
5. Ceremony (original 3-piece version)

As a live act New Order were hard to beat in the 1982-1985 period. We used to follow them (and The Smiths if they were out and about) around the UK and go to as many of the gigs as possible. You would see them 3 nights running and they would play an entirely different set each night. Some of the shows in 1984/85 were astonishing. I have a large poster nicked from the Preston Guildhall on 22 October 1985 framed above my stereo.

I have not seen them play since a miserable gig in Melbourne in 2002. Prior to that it had been Reading in 1993 IIRC which was equally crap. I won't go to see them again....
cantona
Known user

Post by cantona »

Uninspired album by a band that lost the plot long ago.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

cantona wrote:Uninspired album by a band that lost the plot long ago.
Harsh, but fair I would say......
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Is that you Hooky??
runaway
Known user

Post by runaway »

Needs more psych.
cantona
Known user

Post by cantona »

niamhm wrote:
Is that you Hooky??
:D

They were a great band up to Technique.I think they lost it after Technique.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Classic New Order track this, a top 20 New Order tune IMO, like two different songs in tandem, some Sonic Youth type guitar, wonderfully melancholic like the best New Order specializes in, gloriously poptastic melody, wont be many tunes I`ve listened to more this I think and it only came out 8/9 weeks ago,
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

love will tear us apart?
Former New Order bassist Peter Hook is suing his ex-bandmates for "many millions of pounds" in a row over royalties.

Hook - who left the band in 2007 - has accused "former friends" Bernard Sumner and Stephen and Gillian Morris of setting up a new company to handle the band's income, "pillaging" the group's name and leaving him £2.3 million out of pocket.

Hook states that he has been left with just a "fraction" of what he is owed and has taken the case to the High Court.

Hook's barrister, Mark Wyeth QC, said (via Manchester Evening News): "It was as though George Harrison and Ringo Starr had got together at George’s house one Friday night and had acted together to divest Paul McCartney of his shareholding in the Beatles, and didn’t tell Yoko about it either."

The barrister told the judge the dispute is "not about musical direction or musical differences or personality clashes, but first and foremost about wrongdoers taking control of a company and stripping it of its property."

"Mr Hook seeks restoration of the company’s misappropriated property, property it has held for more than 20 years," he added.

However, in response, David Casement QC, said the band had acted entirely reasonable, accusing Hook of using the case as leverage to rejoin the band.

Judge David Cooke ruled that Hook is not acting out of "spite" and that there should be a full trial.

Judge Cooke told both parties: "I strongly urge the parties to seek to resolve the issues between them by entering into some commercial negotiations so that they do not incur the expense of pursuing this matter to trial".

NME has approached New Order for a comment on the claims.

New Order frontman Bernard Sumner recently said that the band's ongoing feud with ex-bassist Peter Hook is "getting boring".

Sumner told Rolling Stone: ''It's a real shame. My heart bleeds for him. He left the band, and then he complained about leaving the band. But I wish him good luck and that he gets on with what he's chosen to do instead of calling me all sorts of names. He's so angry. If you choose to take a path in life, don't blame other people for the path you've chosen to take ... it must be getting a bit boring for people. He did leave a bad taste in my mouth.''
Read more at http://www.nme.com/news/new-order/90050 ... QzWsGaq.99
“You're not Dostoevsky,' said the citizeness

'Well, who knows, who knows,' he replied.

'Dostoevsky's dead,' said the citizeness, but somehow not very confidently.

'I protest!' Behemoth exclaimed hotly. 'Dostoevsky is immortal!”