gig footage

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

The Dr
Known user

gig footage

Post by The Dr »

i often find it hard to watch gig footage as it feels that a large part of it is missing- the intangilbe aspects. what are your thoughts on the subject?
“You're not Dostoevsky,' said the citizeness

'Well, who knows, who knows,' he replied.

'Dostoevsky's dead,' said the citizeness, but somehow not very confidently.

'I protest!' Behemoth exclaimed hotly. 'Dostoevsky is immortal!”
angelsighs
Known user

Re: gig footage

Post by angelsighs »

I love watching gig footage. love watching a well recorded live show of bands I love.

even when it's recorded excellently though, it's different to seeing bands in the flesh. not better or worse, perhaps.. just different.
when you are in the room, you get all the atmosphere, plus you can really feel the music vibrate you. "pushing air around" and all that.
but with a live video you can see what the band are doing, all their gear etc, plus camera angles can give it something extra and dynamic (an art in itself)

it's quite strange seeing footage of gigs I was actually at. it's never as I remember it.
runaway
Known user

Post by runaway »

Here's some incredible gig footage featuring yours truly. I'm the guy in the front that Lux hands a beer to at the very begining. I'm wearing the "black and white beautiful acrylic sweater" and sporting a rather unfortunate mullhawk hairstyle. Enjoy!

jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

That hairstyle's probably quite fashionable these days!
You were just ahead of the curve runaway!

Great hair & great video.
Before that post I'd have agreed with the dr's original post. Now I'm reevaluating that position, & my hair cut..
gonna burn brightly
for a while
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

I mostly agree with the Dr, gigs on film I can`t really watch, get kinda bored an can`t concentrate on them, even Spiritualized ... However, certain ones have stuck and been played to death, of the top off my head,

The Stones In The Park,
Gimme Shelter,
Some La`s gig,
And a certain U2 Zooropa gig, ( yeah whatever) , all got played and repeated to ludicrous degrees for whatever reason they just clicked,

And props/kudos to Runaway!! That is brilliant, wish Lux had give me a beer, not jealous at all 8) Love The Cramps, lucky enough to catch them 3 times.
plastic37
Known user

Post by plastic37 »

I think the Oxford 1991 footage that emerged a while ago is ...
In a different league.
I have expanded on that elsewhere. But would add that the intangible aspects, many of them, are present and correct for me in that recording.

I find it difficult to think of a similar instance of a live recording that comes close - bootleg/broadcast.
I can watch THIS again and again ...

Heavy Tourism
plastic37
Known user

Post by plastic37 »

Oh, and this,
Probably because it is so rare ... this precise period, that tour, that run of dates, .... not so smooth on the editing, captures something etc etc

and this,
And, going back to the original post, the intangible aspect is gone... but the killer apparently improvised solo is present and correct. And that's why i love it. SO i think a good bit of live footage has to include something in addition to the recorded version and is probably something you weren't ever at... although ... i feel another post coming...

Heavy Tourism
plastic37
Known user

Post by plastic37 »

This was pretty much my view of this gig ...
And i hadn't seen Acoustic Mainlines ... so was completely unprepared. The ripple that goes through the crowd at the 5min segue is exactly what i remember and ... brings it back. One of THE moments.

Heavy Tourism
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Yea that Acoustic Mainlines was a moment. Also, anything more found it's value & best form in that place. It's a little over cooked & overlong on LiCD but it plays well on AM..

That whole time was a great fucking time. It was all a great moment.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

I'm with you Dr: I'll listen to live albums, soundboards and AUDs til the cows come home, but gig footage does very little for me whether I went to the gig or not, professionally recorded or not. Live videos are often a source of great unheard audio on Youtube, but even then I'll usually minimize the picture and only listen. It's just not the same, IMHO. Lenses can't replicate the dynamic view your eyes give, the colossal differences in instantaneous light levels (e.g. Spz strobe lighting) are neutered and badly rendered, the smell of beer and sweat and love isn't there...
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

runaway wrote:Here's some incredible gig footage featuring yours truly. I'm the guy in the front that Lux hands a beer to at the very begining. I'm wearing the "black and white beautiful acrylic sweater" and sporting a rather unfortunate mullhawk hairstyle. Enjoy!

Amazing! Runaway - you have been blessed by the man
http://www.soundcloud.com/haarlemriots