Youth interview in DiS

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

spunder
Known user

Youth interview in DiS

Post by spunder »

:: DiS: What about the Spiritualized album?

Youth: I recorded around twenty-two tracks with Jason (Pierce) then we took a break so he could do some summer festivals. And then he came back and decided he wanted to throw the whole thing away and start again. He does have the capacity to do that every now and then. He's a very challenging artist who has a very high criteria of what he's looking for. So I don't know what's going on there at the minute or whether I'll be working on it again.

dunno if this is common knowledge or not, thought Youth had been sacked off altogether ...
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Youth interview in DiS

Post by BzaInSpace »

Twenty-two tracks...

I bet these won't even be on the new record.

A lost (double) album to end all lost albums...!
O P 8
The Dr
Known user

Re: Youth interview in DiS

Post by The Dr »

the plot thickens...
“You're not Dostoevsky,' said the citizeness

'Well, who knows, who knows,' he replied.

'Dostoevsky's dead,' said the citizeness, but somehow not very confidently.

'I protest!' Behemoth exclaimed hotly. 'Dostoevsky is immortal!”
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

Does this mean we'll need to wait another four years for the album? Noooooo!!!
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

A Spiritualized double album would be pretty cool. fill that mother up.
it would have enough breadth to hopefully cover both the pop tunes and drone workouts too.
never gonna happen though is it.
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

Might as well just push it out and go for 3 CDs in that case. That would be crazy and exciting.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Youth interview in DiS

Post by BzaInSpace »

I'm imagining a triple or quadruple vinyl thing, throw in some of those Kenzo tracks with all the garage gospel mayhem with the Kid Millions band...
O P 8
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Just read that interview and was surprised to see this:

DiS: What other projects are you working on at present?

Youth: I've been working on the Spiritualized record and more recently, the new Jesus & Mary Chain one which is a big deal as it's their first record in seventeen years.

DiS: How are they getting on?

Youth: Well, the Reid brothers are still talking to each other! That's good, and the songs are phenomenal. It's sounding great. We're at the halfway stage now so it should be ready by the end of the year.

:shock: :D
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

BzaInSpace wrote:I'm imagining a triple or quadruple vinyl thing, throw in some of those Kenzo tracks with all the garage gospel mayhem with the Kid Millions band...
If hypothetically we got a quadruple album from Spaceman, I can imagine a quarter of the album would be a drone of some kind. Which would be amazing.

For me Spiritualized is the only band I'd welcome a double/triple/quadruple album from at the moment.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

angelsighs wrote:A Spiritualized double album would be pretty cool. fill that mother up.
it would have enough breadth to hopefully cover both the pop tunes and drone workouts too.
never gonna happen though is it.
Haven't all the Spiritualized albums (apart from Fucked Up Inside and Amazing Grace) been double albums?
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

True, but I think the meaning of 'double album' has now shifted to 2xCDs (ie. 80+ mins) of music for a lot of folk these days. It's certainly what I think of when I see the term. Of course, some double albums on LP were that long anyway, but only a minority (Pink Floyd - The Wall, Yes - Tales From Topographic Oceans, A&R Machines - Echo spring to mind, but not many more...)
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

mc wrote:True, but I think the meaning of 'double album' has now shifted to 2xCDs (ie. 80+ mins) of music for a lot of folk these days. It's certainly what I think of when I see the term. Of course, some double albums on LP were that long anyway, but only a minority (Pink Floyd - The Wall, Yes - Tales From Topographic Oceans, A&R Machines - Echo spring to mind, but not many more...)
yep that's what I meant! obviously most of the previous Spiritualized albums were technically doubles in terms of vinyl but it would be great to see Jason really stretch out into the realms of 90 minutes plus and really fill an album.

it's unclear how prolific a songwriter Jason actually is. not sure how many songs he actually writes and records. even when sessions have outtakes he seems to lock them away never to be seen again.
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

Saw on Instagram the other day he's back in the studio (well there there was a shot from the studio anyway).

My take on it is Jason was introduced to Youth by his new manager and he started recording with him, he wasn't into what Youth was doing. He never wanted to record in Spain, He is, as we all know, a stickler for details and if he's not happy with how tings are sounding I can see him starting again and self producing. Plus the words "challenging artist" in that Youth quote suggest that they didn't get on. As in its a 'nice' way to say he thinks he can be a pain in the arse.
http://www.soundcloud.com/haarlemriots
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

Jason has Instagram? Does it get updated as much as the Facebook or Twitter? :P
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

Jason has changed his look a bit. Nice to see he chills out with tigers and camels when he's not touring or in the studio.
sm-iom
Known user

Post by sm-iom »

heisenberg wrote:Jason has Instagram? Does it get updated as much as the Facebook or Twitter? :P
https://www.instagram.com/jspaceman3/
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

that's quite a find! certainly the most engaged Jason has ever been online.
insight into his listening habits, some pics from dates around the world, other random things. great stuff.

makes you realise how out of the loop we are as fans though.. still no website on the horizon?
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

angelsighs wrote:
that's quite a find! certainly the most engaged Jason has ever been online.
insight into his listening habits, some pics from dates around the world, other random things. great stuff.

makes you realise how out of the loop we are as fans though.. still no website on the horizon?

don't want much do yuh, mr jones?!

good to see you back here- seems like you were gone or i am just dumb!

angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

The Dr wrote:
don't want much do yuh, mr jones?!

good to see you back here- seems like you were gone or i am just dumb!
er.. I haven't been anywhere? possibly don't post as much as I used to?

I don't want to sound like an entitled fan, but I do think the band could do better at keeping us fans up to date!
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

angelsighs wrote: I do think the band could do better at keeping us fans up to date!
100% legitimate gripe. Same gripe we all have. Though not sure who has dropped the ball. Record label, management, whomever. For a fleeting moment us Moderators were supposed to be involved in helping out setting up a new web site. That was very nearly a year ago. Nothing since.
I am as frustrated as you.
If it weren't for all the sleuthing that goes on because for many of us this is our favorite band we would never know about anything. Like the amazing Kenzo tracks for starters. My hat is off to all those who find these gems out there and come back here with them without whom we would all still be in the dark and not enjoying those 30 minutes of fabulousness.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

spzretent wrote: 100% legitimate gripe. Same gripe we all have. Though not sure who has dropped the ball. Record label, management, whomever. For a fleeting moment us Moderators were supposed to be involved in helping out setting up a new web site. That was very nearly a year ago. Nothing since.
I am as frustrated as you.
If it weren't for all the sleuthing that goes on because for many of us this is our favorite band we would never know about anything. Like the amazing Kenzo tracks for starters. My hat is off to all those who find these gems out there and come back here with them without whom we would all still be in the dark and not enjoying those 30 minutes of fabulousness.
I think it's worth reiterating my own thanks to the kind folks who cleverly bring all the good stuff - like those Kenzo tracks, to the attention of fans like myself!

It's a real shame there is no visible Spiritualized web presence. As someone who reads the news here regularly, I am lucky to be able to keep up to date with Spaceman-related goings on. I feel sorry for more casual fans trying to access up-to-date information.

My knowledge of the interweb is these days limited to that of a consumer. I've been involved in producing website content previously, but never really explored the technical specifics. However in respect of the old Spiritualized website that disappeared some time ago - I wonder why in years gone by it was possible to view deceased websites via some (presumably automatic) cache that would turn up via simple Google searches. Admittedly I've no idea how this worked, and it's not something I've seen recently. Yet given that it has previously happened, I'm wondering if something has changed that no longer makes it feasible for third parties to store such content?

I do have an idea of how cheap it can be to maintain a minimal web presence. I in no way am intending to criticize or second guess Jason's management - yet it seems strange and shortsighted that he has significant funding for a new record (an expensive endeavour with the increasing prospect of diminishing returns in proportion to such costs) but only a Twitter feed for disseminating important information to fans regarding live dates and so forth.

I'd have thought whoever is funding the new recording would also want to keep the Spiritualized brand alive, if only for purely selfish motives. Surely the best return on that investment comes from an engaged fan base, such as that which pays premium prices for new vinyl, CD and digital releases ... plus the larger cohort of interest that listens via Spotify etc, and will potentially buy tickets to gigs promoting the new album once it's released? Since the latter group now typically forms the majority of an artists income - wouldn't it make sense to ensure as many potential fans as possible remain engaged with all things Spiritualized / Spaceman in the meanwhile?
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

All true. I think something is coming. With a new release next year a web site is a must.
For some reason Sony just left the old web site up for what seemed like forever.
This message board has kept Spiritualized relevant web wise. The passion of the fan base that come here is pretty amazing. Especially on subjects non Spiritualized related.
I can only hope a new web site is rolled out sooner than later.
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Hear hear to everything Spz web-wise. The very first internet search I did was "Spiritualized" (Alta Vista, 1997, on the only computer in our school connected to the internet, when I was supposed to be researching jobs!) and the official website + this forum has been a constant presence since always. Sleuthing away is fine, and I -hope- between us all we've uncovered most of J's doings, but who's to say we've not missed something magnificent that's been out there for ages? Oh please, powers that be, give us some more for 2016 :)

Perfect example: I didn't know J had an instagram account till sm-iom posted it earlier. Not that I'm on it myself, but I'd have been following his religiously! I chuckled at the Spaceage Recordings CD prominently displayed in his collection (Peter Zinoveff), and his heartfelt tribute to Natty Brooker (posted the day after NB died, 87 weeks ago) was beautiful to read. We shouldn't be missing out on this stuff...
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

spzretent wrote:All true. I think something is coming. .

copy and paste each year :lol: :lol:

i think we owe the mods here probabky more than we realise for making spz (and a diverse number of other bands) relevant in at least one small corner of the universe

so thank you, even the mysterious nightwash who seems to be the cat stroking mastermind behind the mechanics of the site

:D

BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Thank you people!

I think I can safely speak for the other mods and say we really appreciate the good-feeling.

As well as the multi-million dollar pay check...

Seriously though, there will be a new proper website eventually. With this forum embedded of course.

No way am I gonna put normal timescale on Spiritualized[REGISTERED SIGN] though...
O P 8
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

Hey, man... Amen.
Thanks for keeping this thing afloat.
It's my favorite boat.
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

ro wrote:Hey, man... Amen.
Thanks for keeping this thing afloat.
It's my favorite boat.

when kennedy was sworn in his navy general gave him a plaque for his desk that said 'o lord thy sea is so great and my boat is so small'. president bartlett used it in the west wing too :P :wink: :D

angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

it is a bit strange that the band don't have a website at the moment, but then I guess we are between records at the moment. and I am used to waiting for stuff when it comes to Spiritualized. I know Jason is a very private person so we're not gonna be getting loads of updates directly from him, but it's true that some of the extracurricular stuff would have been missed if the fans here weren't so eagle eyed.

are there even any unofficial Spz websites still going? I don't think there are.
Vindaloo
Known user

Post by Vindaloo »

mojo filters wrote:However in respect of the old Spiritualized website that disappeared some time ago - I wonder why in years gone by it was possible to view deceased websites via some (presumably automatic) cache that would turn up via simple Google searches.
in case it's interest - archive.org has an archive of websites going back quite some years now, although not all components are captured.

https://web.archive.org/web/*/spiritualized.com

The Wayback Machine - https://archive.org/
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

Like so many others, I enjoyed the Web Site; Photos, especially of the Discography and related images were a great help to me - I was just a little bit late to Spiritualized, (and to SP3); that these images helped in completing my collection - (or nearly so), anyway.

Frankly, it is this SITE that I enjoy more; and I am grateful to Jason Pierce, who, by whatever economic device or sponsorship, keeps it going, and to the Moderators that devote time and effort to it.

This is one of the few Internet Sites and Forums I visit; the people here are a diverse lot, with differing viewpoints to share, new music or perhaps "tiny niches" of music at times that are great fun to explore. This certainly IS much more than simply a music forum, and maybe that is why I like it so much.

The Design and Tools available allow us to share much more than simply a description or opinion, and again, another reason this is such a wonderful SITE.

I am not one for Social Media; I do not "tweet", but I enjoy spending what time I'm on the Internet on this site learning about pieces I did not know, and sharing some musical images and topics that may be new to others.

The Economies of most of the countries of the world are not doing as well as they should; and for Sony or anyone else to keep a site up and running, changing just enough to keep people's interest up is not Free. Perhaps with the advent of a new release will bring with it another Website; but I am pleased that this SITE remains up and active and enjoyable, though I admit I do miss the old site and what it had to offer.
"Everything is a Poison; it is the amount or degree that separates one Poison from another"
Paracelsus
bbbhenko
Known user

Post by bbbhenko »

Vindaloo wrote:in case it's interest - archive.org has an archive of websites going back quite some years now, although not all components are captured.

https://web.archive.org/web/*/spiritualized.com
Thanks a lot for this!! I finally found the list of album recommendations I remembered was available on the website so many years ago ('96 it seems) :D :D :D

I'm posting it here as well in case someone else is interested... 8)

---

In the bands words:

"We keep getting asked what kind've stuff we're listening to and short of giving a list of everything we own (neither the time or inclination) Here's a list of records we've scored so far in America and Canada"

Charles Wourinen: Times Econimum (Nonesuch)
Miles Davis: Circle in the Round (Columbia)
Elliot Schwartz: Grand Piano Music
O.S.T: Shakespeare Waller
Weldon Irvine: Keyboard Riffs for DJ's Vol. 3 (Taff City)
Miles Davis: Agharta (CBS)
Martin Luther King Jr: Peace On Earth (Canadian Broadcasting Corp.)
Crow Dog: Songs of the Sioux (Electra)
Eagle Has Landed: Space Missions (Intrepid)
Elvis Presley: Elvis Country (RCA)
Miles Davis: At Carnegie Hall (Columbia)
The Patsy Cline Story (Decca)
Ravi Shankar: In New York (Liberty)
Bartok/ Szcyeti/ Berry Goodman: MicroKosmos (Odysey) + Contrasts
Temptations: Getting Ready
Charles Mingus: The Art of Charles Mingus
Hugh Masakela: The Promise of a Fututre (Universal City Records)
Jack Nitzsche:One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest (U.A.)
Jimmi Smith/ Oliver Nelson: Monster (Verve)
Luciano Berio / Swingle Singers: Sinfonia (CBS)
Gil Evans: Live in New York Vil 2
Gil Evans The Individualism Of (Verve)
Oscar Macmillan: Chicago House Mix
Miles Maeda: Chicago House Mix
The Graduate Soundtrack: Simon and Garfunkel (Columbia)
Rich in London: Buddy Rich Live at Ronnie Scotts (RCA)
Herbie Mann: At the Village Gate (Atlantic)
The Wild Angels Soundtrack: Davie Allen & the Arrows (Tower)
The Deer Hunter Soundtrack: John Williams (EMI)
The Bix Beiderbecke Story: Bix & Tram Vol. 2 (Columbia)
Meaty Beaty and Bouncy: The Who (MCA)
A Clockwork Orange Soundtrack (Warner Bros.)
The Best of Herbie Mann: Herbie Mann (Atlantic)
Drums Unlimited: Max Roach (Blue Note)
The Sidewinder: Lee Morgan (Blue Note)
Bobby Hebb: Sunny (Philips)
Yoko Ono: Approximately Infinate Universe (Apple)
Ike Turner: Bad Dreams (United Artists)
Duane Eddy: Water Skiing (RCA Victor)
Lucia Pamela: Into Outerspace With (Arf! Arf!)
John Sinclair with Wayne Kramer: Friday the 13th (Alive Records)
John McLaughlin: Devolution (Douglas)
Sam Samudio: Hard and Heavy (Atlantic)
Jack Nizsche: St. Giles Cripplegate (Initial)
Yoko Ono: Mind Train (Apple 41)
The Coasters: The Early Years (ATCO)
AC/DC: Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap (Atlantic)
The Who: Magic Bus (Decca)
Al Green: I'm Still In Love With You (Hi Records)
Sly & the Family Stone: Life (Epic)
Blues Magoos: Psychadelic Lollipop (Mercury)
Kinks: Well Respected Kinks (Marble Arch)
The New Trumpet: Contemporary Works for Trumpet and Flute (Nonesuch)
The New Flute: Contemporary Works for Flute And Tape (Nonesuch)
Tim Buckley: Greeitngs from LA (Warner Brothers)
OST: Privileged
Russian Gypsey Music: Various
20th Century Flute Music (Nonesuch)
Brownie McGhee & Sonny Terry sing (Folkways)
Ray Charles: Yes Indeed (Atlantic)
Busted Flush between Time, the Jim Brown Session
The History of Space Age Pop VOL 1: Melodies & Mischief
The History of Space Age Pop VOL 2: Mallets in Wonderland
The Stereoactive Dimension (RCA)
The Harmony Rockets: Paralized mind of the Archangel Void (Big Cat Records)
Esquivel: Music From a Sparkling Planet (RCA)
Paul Horn, In India (Blue Note)
Muddy Waters: Fathers and Sons (Chess)
George Harrison: Wonderwall (Apple)
Gary Burton: Good Vibes (Atlantic)
OST: Thunderball John Barry (UA)
Ennio Morricone: The Mission (Virgin)
Jimmi Smith: Unfinished Business (Mercury)
OST: Phaedra (UA)
John Lennon: Plastic Ono Band (Capitol)
Brian Eno: Music for Films (Antilles)
Philip Glass: Kogaanisgatsi (Antilles)
Miles Davis: Lift to the Scaffold (Fontana)
Al Green: Gospel Soul(Hi Records)
Elmore James: Last Sessions (Relic)
The Swan Silvertones: Best Of (Vee-Jay)
Rev. James Cleveland Presents The Harmonising Four (King James Records)
Aretha Franklin: Lady Soul (Atlantic)
Slim Harpo: Tip on In (Excello Records)
Ike & Tina Turner: Ooh Poo Pah Doo (Harmony/Columbia)
Aretha Franklin: Aretha Now (Atlantic)
Various: Pebbles Vol. 3 (BDF Records)
The Edwin Hawkins Singers: Let Us Go Into The House Of The Lord (Pavilion Records)
Lou Reed: Street Hassle (Arista)
Elvis Presley: The Complete 50's Masters (RCA)
Einhert, Brotzmann: Merry Christmas (Thirsty Ear)
Caspar Brotzmann: Massaker Home (Thirsty Ear)
Brian Jones presents the Pipes of Pan at Jajouka (Point Music)
Elvis Presley: Back in Memphis (RCA)
Elvis Presley: From Elvis In Memphis (RCA)
Elvis Presley: From Elvis Presley Boulevard Memphis Tennessee (RCA)
Elvis Presley: Flaming Star / Follow That Dream (RCA)
Elvis Presley: The Memphis Record (RCA)
Herbie Mann: Memphis Two Steo (Atlantic)
Ray Charles: The Greatest (Atlantic)
Ray Charles: Modern Sounds In Country & Western (Rhino)
Sonny Rollins: Don't Stop The Carnival (Milestone)
Alice Coltrane: Lord of Lords (Impulse)
Gary Burton and Stephan Grappelli: Paris Encounter (Atlantic)
Roberta Flack: First Take (Atlantic)
The Patsy Cline Collection (MCA)
Miles Davis: Chronicles, the complete prestige recordings (Prestige)
---
sm-iom
Known user

Post by sm-iom »

As well as the Instagram 'find', have also stumbled across @spacemen3 on Twitter. Loads of great photos coming through - not sure who runs it but seems to be someone in the know..
andyblacktoo
Known user

Post by andyblacktoo »

i cant find it now, but hidden away somewhere on the internet is an interview in which jason admits he walked from the youth sessions in spain, insinuating youth had a hidden agenda in suggesting the work in the first place.

as for the disappearance of website. I'm guessing there isn't as much money knocking around the spz bank accounts as once was. and its an additional cost best avoided for the time being. and i doubt its jason on the spiritualized twitter account, but rather the manager (given they retweeted the simpsons clip which wasn't a jason linked track). i believe he shares the same manager as the libertines, so if they can get pete doherty clean than anything is possible.

I think the sp3 twitter is indeed run by someone close to pete.
spzretent
Site Admin

Youth interview in DiS

Post by spzretent »

The first web site was ok with very little input from anyone. I do remember Ben Crook was our go between to Jason. Then Jason signed to Sony and they just left the web site up until someone audited their expenses. One of which was paying for a band's web site no longer on their label(for years).
That leaves us where we are today. Jason does have great big ideas for the web site but he is busy either recording or playing. I cant believe money is the object considering it costs very little to create a web site these days. All fans want is a site letting them know of what is happening news wise.
As I have mentioned earlier in this thread I am so thankful to those who find things like the Kenzo tracks and other things that would otherwise slip thru the cracks. Those two tracks made my year!
Supposedly a new web site and web store are on their way.
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

to be fair youth produced the last bunnymen album and i couldn't even get through it- and i like most of mac's solo and latter stuff!

KevW
Known user

Post by KevW »

A million years late, but I guess that's maybe what some people have been saying - I haven't been on this forum for years because I didn't know it still existed. I used to find it from the old Spiritualized website which disappeared.

Firstly, I was wondering why the Youth thing had been taking so long. But then we all realised it had been called off. Youth has been involved with some great records, but in more recent years he seems to have more of a sheen on his stuff, so maybe that was the issue. (Saying that, And Nothing Hurt is hardly lo-fi).

Secondly, there can't have been much cost to keeping the website up and running. I run a few websites myself, and for a site like the old SPZ one there should be no cost besides the domain name, and that won't be much at all.

Thirdly, about keeping people up to date. Jason loves the whole rock 'n roll myth thing - not that he's lying about stuff all the time, but there's certainly 'embellishment'. You never had close contact with Bowie or The Velvet Underground or whoever. There was no Twitter. So the whole idea of discovering things and having to seek stuff out seems to have been in his philosophy for years looking at past interviews. So it doesn't surprise me that his every move isn't tracked online. I actually like the fact that we all have to do our own research to find what's going on. Today I managed to find the genuine lyrics to most of the songs on the album (after a long search) and was going to post them here to see if any of the previously played tracks had had a name change but someone beat me to it.

Fourthly, if Jason does have big, grand ideas for a website, do you really think it would be particularly personal or explain details about unreleased tracks? I can't see it. He likes the mysticism.

Fifthly, Kenzo tracks?? What are these?! I've missed something here! But given the other points I've made, maybe that's part of the plan/fun/attraction. If anyone could enlighten me that would be great!
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

You need the Kenzo tracks in your life.
Use the search function here for the the related threads, they are on YouTube as well.
O P 8
KevW
Known user

Post by KevW »

BzaInSpace wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:12 am You need the Kenzo tracks in your life.
Use the search function here for the the related threads, they are on YouTube as well.
Found 2 tracks on YouTube - both about 16 mins long. Very good! Thanks!