all you need is love

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

The Dr
Known user

all you need is love

Post by The Dr »

or not, maybe?

Ringo Starr has auctioned off the first ever copy of the The Beatles self-titled 1968 album, with the item selling for $910,000 (£600,000) at auction.

More commonly known as 'The White Album', each unit of the record came with its own serial number stamped on the cover.

The first numbered copy of the LP was rumoured to be John Lennon's who, according to Paul McCartney, "shouted the loudest" for it when the band decided to have the copies numbered.

The first four pressings of the album were all in possession of The Beatles, while copy No. 0000005 sold at an auction in 2008 for a little less than $30,000 (£20,000).

The No. 0000001 album was sold by Julien's Auctions in Beverly Hills. Proceeds from the sale go to the Lotus Foundation, which was founded by Starr and his wife, Barbara Bach.

--

Ringo Starr's former drum kit has sold at an auction for $2.2 million (£1.4 million).

The kit was used to record some of The Beatles' earliest tracks, including 'Can't Buy Me Love', 'She Loves You', 'All My Loving' and 'I Want to Hold Your Hand'.

It sold at Julien’s Auctions Beverly Hills, California on Friday (December 4) to Jim Irsay, owner of NFL team the Indianapolis Colts.

The 1963 Ludwig Oyster Black Pearl three-piece kit was used by Starr for more than 200 performances between May 1963 and February 1964.

A percentage of the sale will go to Ringo Starr's Lotus Children Foundation

---

all for charity!
“You're not Dostoevsky,' said the citizeness

'Well, who knows, who knows,' he replied.

'Dostoevsky's dead,' said the citizeness, but somehow not very confidently.

'I protest!' Behemoth exclaimed hotly. 'Dostoevsky is immortal!”
heisenberg
Known user

Re: all you need is love

Post by heisenberg »

This might sound a bit mad, but I thought that copy of the White Album might go for more than that.
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

Not mad at all, actually. I remember when one of Lennon's white piano's sold for $3500.00 - in the mid 1970's; it was "reasonably priced", but $3500.00 was still a lot of money. I also remember our neighbor shelling out $29,000.00 for a new Bugatti; that certainly can't be done anymore.

How much a person has and what currencies are actually worth is getting curiouser and curiouser. No price seems as bizarre as it may once have. What price, for example is the most you have ever spent on a recording? I can remember when sealed Japanese YSL LPs went to an astounding $17.99; that can't be done anymore, either. It isn't almost $1 Million, but prices don't make sense anymore. Today, I bought a pound of Walnut Halves for nearly what an ounce of Silver was on the market for - that's nuts!
"Everything is a Poison; it is the amount or degree that separates one Poison from another"
Paracelsus
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I remember getting stoned out of my brain in John Lennon's old round bathtub in Hampstead. Must have been the early 90's and my friend owned a collectors shop in London that specialized in Beatles memorabilia. No idea what he sold it for though I brokered a deal selling a signed white album with a letter from the guy on how he got on the roof at Apple and photo of him. This was hanging in his house as well. We sold it for $2000. I got $400. That record now is worth over $50,000(allegedly).
I miss those days.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

spzretent, that sounds like a blast! Getting stoned in Lennon's bathtub, one to tell the grandchildren.

For sale; Ringo Starr's drumkit. Purchased around 1963. In mint condition except for the snare, which shows signs of being used. :D
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

This thread reminded me of that and all the other insanity connected with that shop and the items they wound up with. I held John Lennon's suit from one of their early movies maybe A Hard Day's Night? Unfortunately this stuff was way out of my range so I just have it tucked away in my memory.
I am sure some people bought records in this shop, Vinyl Experience in Hanway Street. Right behind the original Virgin Megastore on Oxford Street.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

spzretent wrote:This thread reminded me of that and all the other insanity connected with that shop and the items they wound up with. I held John Lennon's suit from one of their early movies maybe A Hard Day's Night? Unfortunately this stuff was way out of my range so I just have it tucked away in my memory.
I am sure some people bought records in this shop, Vinyl Experience in Hanway Street. Right behind the original Virgin Megastore on Oxford Street.
You should've cut a small square out of the suit and kept it for some ebaying now. :lol:
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

spzretent wrote:This thread reminded me of that and all the other insanity connected with that shop and the items they wound up with. I held John Lennon's suit from one of their early movies maybe A Hard Day's Night? Unfortunately this stuff was way out of my range so I just have it tucked away in my memory.
heisenberg wrote:You should've cut a small square out of the suit and kept it for some ebaying now. :lol:
Many years ago, I bought a very LIMITED (sealed) Elvis Presley 4LP BOX SET which was advertised by a Hype Sticker from RCA that the SET came w/ "a piece of Elvis' clothing" enclosed; and by the time I made it to the front of the store to pay, (it wa$n't an extravagant price); there were several strange people in the store "making offers" to me just to get the piece of cloth (!) in a sealed envelope from this SET. This BOX SET is an item I'd seen opened, & the discs were very heavy, thick, with well made, quality pressings, and a Las Vegas Hilton Menu, a Promo Sheet for the LTD. BOX SET, a Poster, and of course, the small envelope of "cloth" with a clear window, sealed and labeled, all of it put together c. 1970.
I bought it in 1972, (along with a 2nd (spare) BOX SET to play). I did that quite a bit at the time, and still do if it is something I like enough; there are many assorted 12" singles I wish that I had bought that third copy! It seems strange that once upon a time, if I wanted a spare copy of almost anything, I just took a trip to the record stores; now, to replace something I really enjoy, I must first make a trip to the bank! (and oftentimes wait until that special recording comes along again)!

But people DID follow me around to attempt to buy the little piece of "Holy Cloth" advertised on the BOX SET!

So heisenberg, you are exactly right; "little squares of cloth from famous people" (even if this did happen long before EBay or the civilian Internet).
"Everything is a Poison; it is the amount or degree that separates one Poison from another"
Paracelsus
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

The Dr
Known user

Re: all you need are stamps

Post by The Dr »

John Lennon's boyhood stamp collection will go on display at the World Stamp Show, it has been revealed today (March 2).

Set to go on display at the show - which runs in New York City from May 28 - June 4 - Lennon's personal collection of stamps started when a relative reportedly handed down a half filled book of collectors stamps, sparking the young Beatles' interest in philately. The World Stamp Show takes place once every ten years in Manhattan and is free to attend.

According to Rolling Stone, The Smithsonian National Post Museum housed Lennon's stamp collection in 2005, which reports that the majority of the collection was filled up with United States and New Zealand postage stamps the singer, songwriter and guitarist collected in later life.
Read more at http://www.nme.com/news/john-lennon/919 ... xJPVAwZ.99