Primal Scream - 'Chaosmosis' [2016]

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

simonkeeping
Known user

Re: Primal Scream - 'Chaosmosis' [2016]

Post by simonkeeping »

Picked this up on Friday and after a few spins it's hooks are getting under my skin. It is an out and out pop record - which in itself is no bad thing but if the screams name hadn't have been on it I doubt I would have got past the first 3 tracks. What I mean by that is my Inbuilt music snobbery dismisses a lot of the sounds and structures this album is built around as not having much musical value. It's so weird, the single is pure radio fodder but it works. It works because There's some very strong songwriting and lyrics on the album. I think for a band to go this far away from their 'core market' is in someways more subversive than releasing a 70 minute sprawling opus of psych rock. Its all down to the production - these songs could excist in many form but they chose to take this path. Good on them, you could say they are just trying to get the radio crowd but looking at the comments above its not the easy path for them.

For me a lot of these songs are up here with the best things they've ever done. This and the unloved album which is just ridiculously good (more of which on another thread) are going to regular listens for a while.
http://www.soundcloud.com/haarlemriots
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

simonkeeping wrote:For me a lot of these songs are up here with the best things they've ever done...
You're the man. Absolutely agree. Cheers Gary also!

Just about to leave for this this gig - my first live show since another band I love in the Brudenell back in September 2015...

The Aberdeen Beach Ballroom has an infamously bouncy floor - previous alumni at this amazing venue include The Beatles (1963) and The Stone Roses (1989).

The omens are good and a beautiful,warm and sunny day here.

HTRZ GN HT
PRML SCRM
MTHRFCKR
KLL LL HPPS
O P 8
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Have a fantastic time! I'll be at the gig on Friday! Looking forward to your review.

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Design.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Primal Scream - 'Chaosmosis' [2016]

Post by BzaInSpace »

I laughed, cried and had a daft smile on my face for the duration of one of the best gigs I've ever been privileged to witness.

The Scream were on fire tonight: the sound was immaculate and loud and the whole show had a beautiful, euphoric and celebrationary feel. It was like a proper party - and although me and my date for the evening were totally straight it was obvious that the majority down the front were indeed loaded.

Andrew Innes is the ultimate guitar hero - sole guitarist for this gig, stripped down line-up tonight: Innes, Bobby, Duffy, Mooney on drums and the incredible Simone on bass. They also had this stunning girl in a leopard-skin cat-suit on vocals. Charlotte?

So many good points to this show, I need to sleep now but it was a varied set-list (although sadly nothing from More Light) which included:

Accelerator
It's Alright, Its OK
100% Of Nothing
Kill All Hippies
When The Blackout Meets The Fallout
Shoot Speed/Kill Light
Cry Myself Blind :shock: :shock: :shock:
Trippin' On Your Love
Swastika Eyes (crowd went tits for this)
Golden Rope
'Aberdeen' Girl
Rocks
I'm Losing More...
Loaded
Movin' On Up

There was more but my hearing is still shot and such an emotional and incredible evening means I need to sleep - the golden afterglow of this shit touches my soul and its indeed "worth a million in prizes..."

Also worth mentioning how the whole band had massive smiles on their faces for most of the gig - Bobby (who looks at least half his age) looked like he was having the time of his life. His singing was amazing...

More tomorrow/later - with some pics

Peace X

I LOVE THE PRIMAL SCREAM!
O P 8
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

simonkeeping wrote:This and the unloved album which is just ridiculously good..........
Now that is a great album. Good shout Simon. 8)
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

BzaInSpace wrote:So many good points to this show, I need to sleep now but it was a varied set-list (although sadly nothing from More Light) which included:

Accelerator
It's Alright, Its OK
100% Of Nothing
Kill All Hippies
When The Blackout Meets The Fallout
Shoot Speed/Kill Light
Cry Myself Blind :shock: :shock: :shock:
Trippin' On Your Love
Swastika Eyes (crowd went tits for this)
Golden Rope
'Aberdeen' Girl
Rocks
I'm Losing More...
Loaded
Movin' On Up
Well, "It's Alright, It's Ok" is on More Light, so I guess they played one song from that album, but man ... they could have chosen a better one. I think that's one of the weaker tracks on that LP. "River of Pain" and "Culturecide" are so great.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Wonderful gig tonight for many reasons, first, after some kind of ticket mix up I get to tell my 14 yr old daughter around an hour before I leave `you can come if you like?` man! You should have seen her face, a total picture.

Primal Scream 2016 are a f#ckin` great show, hands down, the days of arenas might be passed but who really gives a shit when you produce a show like this!! The new tracks they played early on slot into the set like a dream, maybe 5/6 tracks from the new album, Where The Light Gets In is a f#ckin` monster live and Golden Rope not far behind on the new stuff,

Innes was brilliant, providing all the heft and lightness of touch when required , a particularly amazing version Swastika Eyes beefed up with heavy guitar was a highlight,

Real highlight though was the crowd, totally going for it on a Wed night, really pleased for my daughter to get see such a great gig, not sure who she is, but major props to the girl providing a foil to Gillespie on most off the new stuff , fantastic job.

To the best of my remembrance - 100% Or Nothing,
Where The Light Gets In,
Its Okay, Its Alright,
Jailbait,
Accelerator,
When The Blackout Meets The Fallout,
Kill All Hippies,
Shoot Speed, Kill Light,
Cry Myself Blind,
Golden Rope,
Private Wars,
Tripping On Your Love,
Swastika Eye
Country Girl,
Rocks,
Losing More,
Loaded,
moving on Up,

Ps, If I can throw in, their was no merch? Only stuff be Bo Ninggen the support act i`m told by my cousin and daughter? Very strange, after being awestruck by the gig, and drinking nothing, I thought I might pick up the vinyl,very strange.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

This was one incredible gig.

Same setlist but they closed with Come Together!!!

The crowd was so into it everyone was dancing in their seats... Everything clicked... No more words...

Hangover.

M

PS: Bo Ningen were amazing too!
Design.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

'Come Together'!!!

Wow. Glad both you and Niamhm enjoyed the gigs. I've been buzzing ever since the ABD show!

Hangover earned I reckon!
O P 8
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

Loving Chaosmosis, not comparing it to anything else just appreciating it for the wonderful pop record it is :D
'Remember, change is not good'
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

So Bobby's driving a Prius these days then..??
gonna burn brightly
for a while
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

jack white wrote:So Bobby's driving a Prius these days then..??
That tune likely also got him free cable tv from virgin media circa 2000- it used to be the background music for the 'off-air' channels back then. Many mornings I'd wake up with the TV still on from the previous night, with a short snippet of the song's outro playing very loudly and on a continuous loop.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

great remix by Anton.

http://vevo.ly/zGlnCW

M
Design.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Picked up a cheap cd of this last week so time for a revisit. Five years on and unfortunately my feelings towards it haven't really changed. It still doesn't do a hell of a lot for me.
Golden Rope and When The Blackout...still the stand out songs for me. Although the latter doesn't really belong on this album and the former sounds like it was written for Mark Lanegan ( i just kept hearing Lanegan's voice in my head in much the same way that i now hear William Reid singing Freedom off SHSL). The rest of it just floats by with little impact.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Is it one of the great Primal Scream albums?

No.

It certainly meant a lot to me at the time - the gig I saw as reported above somewhere was amazing - and as Sunray says 5 years ago is ridiculous really. I’d file it with something like ‘Beautiful Future’ where there are some amazing tracks and some that just pull it off. Just!

I still like the opening song, ‘Feel Like A Demon’ I like a lot, ‘Golden Rope’ is awesome: check the insane Brendan Lynch take which could have been on ‘Evil Heat’:

https://youtu.be/MkT1rnr1Cl4
O P 8
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

I enjoyed it at the time, I enjoyed Beautiful Future at the time and saw the Scream doing two great gigs on the back of those albums, the Chaosmosis one was particularly memorable, as my 16yr old daughter accompanied me and it was one of the last times I was at the now sadly gone Glasgow ABC