2015 lists

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

spzretent
Site Admin

2015 lists

Post by spzretent »

I am having a hard time coming up with a list for this year.
Not in any order:
Kurt Vile- B'lieve I'm Goin Deep Down Lp
Juleah- S/T LP
Courtney Barnett- Sometimes I Sit... Lp
Israel Nash- Silver Season LP
Zone Six- Love Monster Lp
Sula Bassana- Kosmonauts LP
Cult Of Free Love 10"
Update: J Spaceman Kenzo tracks.

What it has been is an outstanding year for reissues.
Neil Young Vol. 5 thru 8 LP Box
Replacements- Twin Tone Years LP box
Mark Lanegan- One Way Street LP box
Julian Cope- WSYM & Fried reissue Cds
Link Wray- Three Track Shack sublime remaster 2 CD
Close Lobsters- Firestation Towers 3 CD
Dave & Ansell Collins- Double Barrel LP
Verve- A Storm In Heaven 3x LP(unofficial)

It has also been a year of some profound musical revelations.
Kevin Ayers- Bananamour
Dig this......

Paul Kelly- Dont Burn Me & Dirt Lp's. He is a US R&B singer in the vein of Al Green. But better in my opinion.

Topped off by a great Spiritualized show at the Brudenell in Leeds. Lets make that a fantastic two weeks in the UK with gorgeous weather to boot. A tip of the cap to those that made it unforgettable: Mr & Mrs Runcible, BzaInSpace, Mr & Mrs BVCP206 and last but not least Jason Spaceman.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
shalloboi
Known user

Re: 2015 lists

Post by shalloboi »

it was an ok year for music. Beach House is my favorite band at the moment (at least of the last 10 years), so I was particularly psyched to get two albums from them within a few months (I know they're not a very widely liked band on this forum, which is okay with me).

beach house- 'depression cherry'
low- 'ones and sixes'
kurt vile- 'b'lieve i'm goin' down'
panda bear- 'meets the grim reaper'
beach house- 'thank your lucky stars'
the black ryder- 'the door behind the door'
jessica pratt- 'on your own love again'
thee oh sees- 'mutilator defeated at last'
deerhunter- 'fading frontier'
tamaryn- 'cranekiss'
godspeed you! black emperor- 'asunder, sweet and other distress'
death and vanilla- 'to where the wild things are'
moon duo- 'shadow of the sun'
tropic of cancer- 'stop suffering'
sharon van etten- 'i don't want to let you down'

I got into Cate le Bon's three excellent solo albums this year as well as 'Restless Idylls' by Tropic of Cancer (and multiple EP releases) and 'The Years' EP by Memoryhouse (they have an album on Subpop, too, but it's nowhere near as satisfying). I've been listening to the self-titled Townes Van Zandt album a lot lately, as well- somehow I'd never gotten around to checking his stuff out despite having heard several artists covering his songs.
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Another great year of music, as far as I'm concerned!

Favourite Albums of 2015

1. Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Asunder, Sweet & Other Distress
2. Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls
3. Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp A Butterfly
4. Jenny Hval - Apocalypse, girl
5. Blur - The Magic Whip

I've seen a few long-term fans moaning about Godspeed's latest, but I honestly think it might be the best thing they've ever done. Sure, I enjoy the found sounds and spoken-word segments of their previous albums, but "Asunder..." was a one-song (albeit four-track) forty-minute blast of sheer unadulterated HEAVY instrumental rock, plus some epic droning thrown in too. Not an ounce of fat on it, and utterly transcendental live. The Dylan Carlson-esque tectonic-plate guitars in the first part send shivers down my spine, and the pseudo-ending halfway through the last track with Sophie's violin scraping higher and higher to heaven... :shock:

I've always had a soft spot for the Irons, but if anyone had warned me their sixteenth (!) album would end up my second-favourite release of 2015 I'd have laughed in their faces. Nevertheless, the Book Of Souls is gobsmackingly good. Eleven tracks and ninety-three minutes long, and not a single one wasted. They've never sounded heavier, which I wholeheartedly approve, yet remain so hook-laden and hummingly melodic it's impossible not to smile and sing along. Bruce's voice is on phenomenonal form, particularly given the circumstances (he had undiagnosed throat cancer during recording, but finished the album off before seeking medical help) and the band remain impossibly tight. It's a celebration of old triumphs and new forays, and Bruce's 18-minute epic "Empire Of The Clouds" cartwheels imperiously across that wobbly tightrope between epic and bombast. Not only that, it taught me about one of Britain's worst-ever aviation disasters. What's not to like?

To Pimp A Butterfly? I'm not sure what to say about this utterly essential masterpiece of an album. The most accomplished, hard-hitting, thought-provoking rap album I've ever heard? Most definitely. Kendrick Lamar's wordplay and flow terrify me. This is a true virtuoso at work, and the songs he's assembled around his words are magnificent. "The Blacker The Berry" is utterly lucid brutality; "u" is so self-inflictingly painful, listening to it hurts. Apparently "Alright" is the anthem of Black Lives Matter, and Obama says "How Much A Dollar Cost" is his favourite song of 2015. This album matters.

I'd never heard of Jenny Hval until the Quietus reviewed "Apocalypse, girl", and it's been many years since I've heard something so utterly bewitching and beautifully unsettling. She skips from spoken word to virtuoso opera-soprano in a single line, and her lyrics are poetry in the most essential and meaningful of senses. This is an album about sexuality, womanhood, feminism, the intense viscerality of the ageing body, dreams... in other words, what it's like to be human in this fucked up world we inhabit. Someone could and should write a thesis on this album.

I've been a fan of Blur since I was 13, but "The Magic Whip" exceeded even my highest expectations. It feels doubly miraculous, given the album's chequered history: the basic tracks were recorded over 5 days in a Hong Kong studio, after bad weather cancelled some scheduled gigs and they had bugger all else to do but jam together. Apparently Albarn wasn't fussed if the music they recorded never came to fruition, but a year later Graham Coxon took the music and assembled an album from the basic tracks. Only then did Damon write and record the lyrics. But despite its hotch-potch origins, The Magic Whip works. Blur LPs have always been at least 3-4 tracks too long and plagued with ridiculous filler; finally, "The Magic Whip" breaks that mould. Twelve songs long and they're all good; at least seven or eight stand up to anything they've ever done, and a handful are bonafide Blur classics. Oh, "Pyonyang"...

Edit: I've just realised that three of my top five picks topped the UK album charts on release! Either I'm getting awfully mainstream as an ageing thirtysomething, or the mainstream is getting ever more awesome. I'm gonna choose the latter ;)

Anyway, the best of the rest:

6. Chvrches - Every Open Eye
7. Anna von Hausswolff - The Miraculous
8. Cannibal Ox - Blade of the Ronin
9. Sunn O))) - Kannon
10. Max Richter - Sleep
11. Panda Bear - Panda Bear Meets The Grim Reaper
12. Belle & Sebastian - Girls In Peacetime Just Want To Dance
13. Sufjan Stevens - Carrie & Lowell
14. Joanna Newsom - Divers
15. EEK feat. Islam Chipsy - Kahraba
16. Public Service Broadcasting - The Race For Space
17. Frank Zappa - Dance Me This
18. GNOD - Infinity Machines
19. Thighpaulsandra - The Golden Communion
20. Carlton Melton - Out To Sea

Favourite EPs, Live, Unreleased etc of 2015

1. AFX - Unreleased Soundcloud Trax 1985-2014
2. Eels - Royal Albert Hall
3. Pure Phase Ensemble 4 - Live At Spacefest!
4. J Spaceman - Kenzo SS16 Soundtracks
5. AFX - Computer Controlled Acoustic Instruments Part 2/Orphaned Deejay Selek 2006-08

The reawakening of Richard D. James is definitely my musical event of 2015. Two official EPs and 230+ unreleased tracks from his vault, spanning all the way back to his teenage Cornwall rave days, and most of it stands comparison with any of his officially released output. A combination of his playlists, and a little of my own organising, has left me with 20+ new album-length Aphex collections to obsess over.

Favourite Gigs of 2015

1. King Crimson - Usher Hall, Edinburgh
2. Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Liquid Rooms, Edinburgh
3. Manic Street Preachers (Holy Bible Live) - Usher Hall, Edinburgh
4. Julian Cope - Liquid Rooms, Edinburgh
5. The Twilight Sad - Barrowlands, Glasgow

Seeing KC twice (with three drummers!) was the stuff dreams are made of, as was finally witnessing Godspeed! in the flesh. And then there was seeing The Holy Bible, one my all-time favourite albums, performed in full, in the flesh. Cathartic, magnificent and oddly uplifting given the pain, misery and depredation in the songs themselves...

LAST EDIT:

Just thought I should mention the "missing" albums from this roundup, i.e. the 2015 releases I dearly want but don't have yet :lol:

Underworld - Second Toughest in the Infants (20th Anniversary Edition)
The Velvet Underground - Loaded (45th Anniversary Edition)
The Velvet Underground - The Matrix Tapes
Bruce Springsteen - The Ties That Bind: The River Collection
Colleen - Captain Of None
Kode9 - Nothing
Helen - Original Faces
Julia Holter - Have You In My Wilderness
Blanck Mass - Dumb Flesh
Everything Everything - Get To Heaven
Kamasi Washington - The Epic
Grimes - Art Angels
Holly Herndon - Platform
Last edited by mc on Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:19 am, edited 7 times in total.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

2015 lists

Post by BzaInSpace »

I'm convinced this is post of the year - just skimmed past it and it's full of goodness and detail.

mc, I salute you!

Really hope outwith things are looking better.

Kendrick Lamar would have to be in my top joint albums this year also!

(....without sounding like a dick, I was somewhat surprised to see his album in the top ten lists of the bullshit UK media...)

This stuff transcends any kind of flavour-of-the-week shit they usually jump on...

"I got a bone to pick!"
O P 8
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

I normally avoid these kind of threads like the plague so i'm just coming on here to say that apart from gigs I can't remember the last time I actually listened to some music :cry:

Most pointless post of the year? :wink:
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

BzaInSpace wrote:I'm convinced this is post of the year - just skimmed past it and it's full of goodness and detail.

mc, I salute you!

Really hope outwith things are looking better.

Kendrick Lamar would have to be in my top joint albums this year also!

(....without sounding like a dick, I was somewhat surprised to see his album in the top ten lists of the bullshit UK media...)

This stuff transcends any kind of flavour-of-the-week shit they usually jump on...

"I got a bone to pick!"
Why thank you Bza! Hope it's entertaining and potentially useful to a few. Looking forward to seeing yours and everyone else's lists. They always give me a good head-start for the first music purchases of 2016. I really appreciate your good wishes - alas, things got worse rather than better this last year. My partner's cancer spread yet again, and after 3 major ops in 18 months, they reckon it's now terminal barring miracles. But we did elope to Skye and finally got married, which was wonderful, and the latest experimental chemo regime has finally got the disease under control for the time being. She's keeping well enough despite the chemo, and that's the most important thing. Who knows what 2016 will bring, but we'll be doing our best to enjoy it no matter what. As the great Mark Oliver Everett once sang:

Laying in bed tonight I was thinking
And listening to all the dogs
And the sirens and the shots
And how a careful man tries
To dodge the bullets
While a happy man takes a walk
And maybe it's time to live

Totally agree RE: Kendrick. He's scoring no. 1, top 3 at worst in virtually every list I've seen, and for once the hype is justified. Folk will still be talking about it in fifty years time, I have no doubt about that. Utterly seminal stuff.
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Top 10 albums for me

in no order;

Thee Oh Sees
Death and Vanilla
Juleah
Follakzoid
Low
Moon Duo
Courtney Barnett
Ultimate Painting
White Hills
Calexico

Gigs

Ride (all 3 of them were superb to be honest, all for differing reasons)
The Earlies @ Band In The Wal
JAMC with Bardo Pond @ The Roundhouse
Low @ Manchester Catherdral
Heads @ The Lexington
Mercury Rev @ RNCM
Luna again all 3 gigs, just something really special
Follakzoid @ Soup Kitchen
Plus Liverpool Psych Fest was awesome

Reissue galore, and I'm a sucker for a box set, so spent way way too much on these.

Thoroughly enjoyable year and great to hook up with many of you of this here Parish. Hope everyone has a great Xmas and New Year
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Oh and The Zone Six album on Deep Distance was awesome, so that can sneek into my list as well
stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham »

In no particular order:

Belle and Sebastian - Girls in Peacetime want to dance
White Mana - Pan
Moon Duo - Shadow of the Sun
Lightning in a Twilight Hour - Fragments of a Former Moon
Wand - 1000 Days
Tess Parks and Anton Newcombe - I Declare Nothing
Sarah Cracknell - Red Kite
Chatham Rise/The light shines - We are the Sun
Motorhead - Bad Magic
Asian Dub Foundation - More Signal more noise

I especially liked the Chatham Rise tracks, who I'd never heard of before. I bought the album for the Light Shines tracks but it's all good.

Next year looks like a good year - The Cult, Primal Scream,High Violets, Airiel, The Early Years, Spiritualized(?) to name a few.

Ste
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

Busy at work but can't resist an end of year list......

ALBUMS:

Duke Garwood - Heavy Love
Thee Oh Sees - Mutilator Defeated At Last
Father John Misty - I Love You, Honeybear
Damaged Bug - Cold Hot Plumbs
Lonelady - Hinterland
Destruction Unit - Negative Feedback Resistor
Viet Cong - Viet Cong
Moon Duo - Shadow Of The Sun
King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard - Quarters
Hey Colussus - Radio Static High

(goodies not heard all the way through but coming from Santa: Kelley Stoltz - In Triangle Time, Anna Von Hausswolff - The Miraculous, Colder - Many Colours)

GIGS:

Thee Oh Sees - London Forum
King Gizzard - Scala
Destruction Unit - Shacklewell Arms
Black Market Karma - Railway Hotel, Southend
Sun Araw - Café Oto
Moon Duo - Village Underground
Kurt Vile - Electric Ballroom
Acid Baby Jesus - Railway Hotel, Southend

SONG I'VE TURNED OFF THE MOST WHILST LISTENING TO 6MUSIC RADIO IN MY KITCHEN:

Courtney Barnett - Pedestrian At Best - you said it Courtney, very pedestrian. I didn't mind her first EP's but this song grates on me so so much, awful, really monotone vocal, drones on and on and on, like being shouted at for the duration. Not feeling the love at all for her but I must be in the minority seeing as her album features heavily in many Best Ofs.
Last edited by johnnyboy on Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:36 pm, edited 4 times in total.
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

johnnyboy wrote: Thee Oh Sees - London Forum
How was it? I'm so jealous. I really wanted to go but family commitments came first.

Albums 2015
Wand - Golem //// My Album of the Year by a long way.
Huge sounding heavy Psych rock drenched in synths (done the right way) and fuzz. Saw them play these songs live at Rough Trade just after the release and they smashed the place to pieces. Beautiful.
FUZZ - II
Spectres - Dying

Really disappointed by Father John Misty's most recent album. Fear Fun was far, far better IMHO. I know he/we all the love the smart alec/post ironic/wise guy/drug shamen, but the songs just aren't as good on 'I Love you, Honeybear'. It feels more lightweight and throwaway and almost like its trying to fit in?

Aside form that its been a bit of a year of collecting old goodness: Parson Sound, More from Royal Trux, Beachwood Sparks and lots of Black Sabbath.
http://www.soundcloud.com/haarlemriots
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

simonkeeping wrote:
How was it? I'm so jealous. I really wanted to go but family commitments came first.

Albums 2015
Huge sounding heavy Psych rock drenched in synths (done the right way) and fuzz. Saw them play these songs live at Rough Trade just after the release and they smashed the place to pieces. Beautiful.
FUZZ - II
Spectres - Dying

Really disappointed by Father John Misty's most recent album. Fear Fun was far, far better IMHO. I know he/we all the love the smart alec/post ironic/wise guy/drug shamen, but the songs just aren't as good on 'I Love you, Honeybear'. It feels more lightweight and throwaway and almost like its trying to fit in?

Aside form that its been a bit of a year of collecting old goodness: Parson Sound, More from Royal Trux, Beachwood Sparks and lots of Black Sabbath.
Thee Oh Sees were incredible! Two drummers lined up centre stage, Dwyer on the left in his shorts, bassist on the right, complete mayhem from the get go with only a bit of a breather during Sticky Hulks, which was beautiful. I was in the floor area and it was completely manic, clothing and lost shoes on the floor, beer flying around, people losing their shit and grinning ear to ear and whooping during all of those Thee Oh Sees moments where he lets out a whoop, ie: loads, drenched in sweat, just brilliant. Must admit I missed Brigid and Petey Dammit from the previous line up, especially Brigid as she adds great harmonies. I took a huge knock to my nose from someones head or shoulder, thought I'd broken it, no blood though, two weeks later and it's still making creaky noises when I push on it. So yeah, you missed an amazing gig amigo but they'll be back, or at least he said they'd be. Hopefully it won't be a two year gap like this one. Great review here http://www.gigslutz.co.uk/thee-oh-sees- ... -30-11-15/

Not a fan of the FJM album then eh? I wasn't to begin with but it's grown on me massively. I played Fear Fun online the other day, loved the first half but thought the second wasn't as good. Some great songs on it though. Seeing him live next May.

Great to see you put Destruction Unit in your list. I've been such a fanboy of theirs this year, and previous, gobbling up any info online, interviews, live vids and that. Seeing them live was amazing, theirs an art to their tripped out hardcore, lovely people too. Did you pick up the Live In San Francisco album? That's a beauty and a great document of their live set for the Deep Trip era.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I'm going to buy that Wand album based solely on the description above. Sounds delicious.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Here's a link to a best "psych" albums of 2015 that I co-write for the online magazine, Backseat Mafia:-

http://www.backseatmafia.com/2015/11/28 ... bums-2015/

Lots of goodies in there including the aforementioned Wand, Zone Six, Destruction Unit and a lot more 8) :D

My buying habits this year haven't swayed too much from my love of modern "psych" and for me personally, my absolute favourite records of the year are:-

Carlton Melton - Out To Sea
Arena Negra - The Myrrors
Zone Six - Love Monster

Followed closely by:-

Golden Void (side project of Isaiah Mitchel from Earthless) - Berkana
Electric Moon - Theory Of Mind
Blown Out - Jet Black Halucinations
Minami Deutsch - S/T
Wand - Golem
The Band Whose Name Is A Symbol - Masters Of The Molehill
Hills - Live At Daemons Port
Cosmic Ground - 2

Gig wise, Liverpool Psych Fest was awesome (and great to hook up with the Forum Psych posse again!) but there's been plenty more great ones including:-

The Warlocks in Brighton
The Heads at the Lexington, London
Ride at the Roundhouse, London
Black Bombaim in Brighton
Carlton Melton in Brighton
Dead Meadow in Brighton
Spiritualized at Rockaway Beach festival
Super Furry Animals at Brixton Academy, London
Fuzz Club Festival in London
Follakzoid in Brighton
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

Nice D-Unit write up on Backseat Mafia Shines. Such a great album, just finished having a blast of it before bed, a good cobweb clearing exercise. Will check out some more of your Best Ofs on there.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Destruction Unit were one of Simon's picks so can't take the credit for them. Sure they played at Liverpool Psych Fest but they were too punky/shouty/bit rubbish for my liking :wink:
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Shinesalight wrote:Destruction Unit were one of Simon's picks so can't take the credit for them. Sure they played at Liverpool Psych Fest but they were too punky/shouty/bit rubbish for my liking :wink:
I'm afraid I agree here. DU did nothing for me live, and their recent record doesn't do it for me either. In further agreeing with Shinesalight surprises I love the Zone Six record, which was my favourite LP of the year by some distance. Running in second place was Carlton Melton and third was Sula Bassana's solo LP. Dom Martin released the Zone Six and Sula Bassana LPs on Deep Distance. Chasing down various Sula Bassana projects, particularly Electric Moon, has been very rewarding.

Gig of the year for me was Kandodo 5 at LPF, closely followed by The Heads at The Lexington. For sheer laugh-out-loud good times, Julian Cope's show at the Epstein Theatre in Liverpool was also great (his tune 'Cunts can Fuck Off' from that night wins song title of the year for me).

As usual, the Psyche Fest at the end of September was a highlight from a music/beer/catch up with folks point of view. The Cardinal Fuzz lineup was the single best run of bands I've ever seen. Dead Sea Apes and The Heads were phenomenal but the Kandodo 5 set shaded it for me. Dave Cambridge is doing a formidable job with his label.

I'm looking forward to 2016 as the Durutti Column rerelease program I'm involved with kicks in. Chuck in a run of decent looking gigs and hopefully a new Spiritualized LP and things look to be on the up. I wonder if Sonic will finally release an LP too?
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

TheWarmth wrote:I'm going to buy that Wand album based solely on the description above. Sounds delicious.
I think you'll like it man. If you dig all that West Coast scene (Ty Segall et al) then it will be right up your street. And the songs are so good, firing off in all directions and going to some special places. I can't sing its praises high enough. I'd love to know what you think. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xcvmk1TGeH4
runaway
Known user

Post by runaway »

Biggest disappointments:

Belle & Sebastian - Girls In Peacetime.... (I think Stuart is tired)
Father John Misty - ...Honeybear (the snark factor and "clever" lyrics are tiresome)
Beach House - Depression Cherry (listened a few times and was unimpressed enough to pass on the other album, but I felt the same way about Bloom and l've grown to love it so I'm probably wrong)
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

runaway wrote:Biggest disappointments:

Belle & Sebastian - Girls In Peacetime.... (I think Stuart is tired)
Have to disagree with you on this one. I think this album is a fantastic return to form after Write About Love, which was totally underwhelming, barring a few standout tracks.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Here's my list. I'm not going to attempt to rank them, because how can you compare Gnod to Courtney Barnett?

Belle & Sebastian: Girls In Peacetime Want To Dance
Gaz Coombes: Matador
Swervedriver: I Wasn't Born to Lose You
Courtney Barnett: Sometimes I Sit and Think, and Sometimes I Just Sit
Gnod: Infinity Machines
Blur: The Magic Whip
Tame Impala: Currents
Zefur Wolves: Zefur Wolves (this band features Cian Ciaran from Super Furry Animals and his wife)
Kurt Vile: b’lieve i’m goin’ (deep) down
Dungen: Allas Sak
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

runaway wrote: Beach House - Depression Cherry (listened a few times and was unimpressed enough to pass on the other album, but I felt the same way about Bloom and l've grown to love it so I'm probably wrong)
I know exactly what you mean- I didn't like it at first either. In fact I didn't like 'Bloom,' 'Devotion' or even 'Teen Dream' at first either. Sometimes I think I have to find a way into their albums- there are usually a few songs that I really love on first listen and the more I focus on those, the more the rest of the songs open up- on 'Depression Cherry' they were 'Levitation,' 'Sparks' and '10:37.' I like listening to the whole thing now, but at first it seems like all of the best songs are stacked at the beginning and as it goes on it loses steam. It doesn't help that 'Days of Candy' is the weakest album-ending song they've ever released- it's a little hard to swallow since 'Bloom' ended with 'Irene.'

As far as 'Thank Your Lucky Stars' is concerned it's got a handful of really great songs on it, a few more good songs and then a few that are kind of baffling. I still to listen to it a lot, though. They did just play 'Somewhere Tonight' on Conan, though and it was pretty amazing-

http://www.stereogum.com/1849423/watch- ... m_campaign
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Not going to try and put these in any order, trying to compare apples to oranges,

Tess Parks & Anton Newcombe - I Declare Nothing,
Destruction Unit - Negative Feedback Resistor,
Moon Duo - Shadow Of The Sun,
Hey Colossus - In Gold And Black/ Radio Static High, (cant pick, both brilliant)
Wand - Golem/ 1000 Days (likewise, both brilliant)
New Order - Music Complete,
Jamie XX - In Colour,
Fuzz - II,
Blanck Mass - Dumb Flesh,
East India Youth - Culture of Volume,
Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp A Butterfly,
Loop - Array 1,
Zone Six - Love Monster,
The Myrrors - Arena Negra,
Spectres - Dying,
Viet Cong - s/t,
White Hills - Walks For Motorists,

Looking at that list its been a really good year for Sacred Bones - I know I`ve missed out Follakzoid, its a good record, I listened to it for about a month then I didn`t, still good though - a real run of amazing albums and Cardinal Fuzz as mentioned above, some great releases, as well as some great reissues/ live albums as well, the latest Bob Dylan - The Cutting Edge , JAMC - Barrowlands Live and the Michael Head & The Strands - The Magical World Of ... particularly worth a mention IMO,

Gig wise have saw some great gigs/shows this year, Liverpool Psyche Fest was tremendous,
Mogwai/Loop double header @ the Barras was a real highlight,
Twilight Sad also & Barras last weekend will live long in the memory,
Of the smaller club gigs I saw East India Youth, Wand, Earthless & Blanck Mass spring to mind as being particularly memorable,

For me the year belongs to Hey Colossus & Wand, both with 2 classic albums each this yr and attending blistering live shows from both, god knows if they can keep up that work rate going, you can only hope,
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

sunray wrote:I normally avoid these kind of threads like the plague so i'm just coming on here to say that apart from gigs I can't remember the last time I actually listened to some music :cry:

Most pointless post of the year? :wink:
Haha!

Just spotted this - c'mon Sunray, you've rated way more new albums on here than I did this year. One of your last gig reviews - where you were disappointed - was probably the funniest thing I've read on this forum in ages! :D
O P 8
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

simonkeeping wrote: Albums 2015
FUZZ - II
Spectres - Dying
looking at this list, fair to say you like your music on the heavier side then? :)
runaway
Known user

Post by runaway »

I think my favorite album of the year is Andy Shauf's The Bearer Of Bad News. Young singer/songwriter from Saskatchewan. Kind of a cross between Elliott Smith and Joni Mitchell. The lyrical content of this song wouldn't be out of place on a Nick Cave album-

James T
Known user

Post by James T »

For me this was certainly more of a year for live shows, so I'll go with them first...

Live
A Winged Victory For The Sullen at Barbican Centre, London (because I can't pick my own show can I)
Luna at La Rambleta, Valencia (and 7 others, but this was perfect)
Mudhoney at Pappy & Harriet's, Pioneertown
Blur at Venue Cymru, Llandudno
Low at Manchester Cathedral
The Heads at The Lexington, London
Loop at The Deaf Institute, Manchester
Spiritualized at Liverpool Psych Fest

Albums
Low - Ones & Sixes
John Grant - Grey Tickles, Black Pressure
Carlton Melton - Out to Sea
Damon & Naomi - Fortune
Dean & Britta - Mistress America OST
The Pop Group - Citizen Zombie
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

this thread just makes me realise how much catching up I need to do.. I don't think I even listened to 10 new albums in full all year! don't know how you people do it.. I tend to buy a lot of older stuff. I'll give ya 3 though.

Godspeed You Black Emperor- Asunder, Sweet and Other Distress.
I soo wasn't expecting it to be this good! Allelujah.. was a really good album with Mladic being one of their greatest moments. but it was basically two older tracks and some drones. it didn't bode well for what they had left in the tank in terms of writing new material. then they come back with this, basically one long track which condenses a lot of their sound into 40 minutes of greatness. the beginning has an ominous feel but it's basically straight into it, no messing. massive drum hits and surging guitars. the droning section in the middle is also really engaging, then it goes for an EPIC ending. do I miss the voice samples and ambience? kind of.. but this album rocks.

Viet Cong- s/t
one of the best new bands I've heard in a while. I forgot this came out this year, but I've been listening to it reguarly and definitely want to see where they go from here. there's shades of postpunk, no wave, psych, all in the mix. it's a tight and concise record too (which is maybe why it's so addictive to me), it's quite varied- some of the tracks are arty noise collages, then there's also some heads down rocking but with some real power. the lengthy final track 'Death' is one of my tracks of the year. it builds into a pummelling kind of drone section.

Yo La Tengo- Stuff Like That There
one that has to make it in just from how much I've listened to it. wasn't really expecting too much from this to be honest- acoustic YLT can be okay but has never really got my heart pumping like their some of their other stuff. they really nailed it here though. the song choices are fairly obscure (apart from a couple of obvious exceptions- Hank Williams and Cure) but it never seems like they are digging up groovy hipster stuff for the sake of it. the record really maintains a consistent mood all the way through, all the songs fit together well (even the new songs they wrote- a very brave move!). I initially considered this a negative, as all of their other records are so eclectic- but it really grew on me. The production is spot on and so is Dave Schramm's tasteful and clean lead playing. a delightful, charming record from a band still on top form! (Fade and Popular Songs were both great too)

Gigs of the year

Ride- Manchester Albert Hall. the initial Oxford comeback date for the real fanboys was also incredible- never felt atmosphere like it. was worried that this show wouldn't live up to it, but amazingly it actually raised the bar. still get chills thinking about moments like LTAB opening or the chanting along to Vapour Trail. setlist covered all the bases, crowd totally buzzing, amazing musicians, doing a reunion for the right reasons..

Kandodo- Liverpool Psych Fest. wowsers. this is when psych is really at its best. Kandodo expanded with Carlton Melton members was a ridiculously powerful beast. masterful musicians building up a trippy set of gargantuan proportions. sometimes you just thought "where is all this SOUND coming from??". it was almost like the music started gathering its own momentum. it was an honour seeing a special one off set like this.

GYBE- Manchester Albert Hall. I guess this ties into me also loving the new album which was played in full and sounded extremely powerful. it was the perfect venue for Godspeed- very grand and imposing. I like the way the band just came on, no hellos, very little lighting, and build from the Hope Drone into an epic set which really takes you on a journey. the sound quality was very impressive- the guitars were thick and scuzzy, the bottom end was meaty and the crescendos really hit home. even the new songs sounded great!
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

angelsighs wrote:this thread just makes me realise how much catching up I need to do.. I don't think I even listened to 10 new albums in full all year! don't know how you people do it.. I tend to buy a lot of older stuff. I'll give ya 3 though.

Godspeed You Black Emperor- Asunder, Sweet and Other Distress.
I soo wasn't expecting it to be this good! Allelujah.. was a really good album with Mladic being one of their greatest moments. but it was basically two older tracks and some drones. it didn't bode well for what they had left in the tank in terms of writing new material. then they come back with this, basically one long track which condenses a lot of their sound into 40 minutes of greatness. the beginning has an ominous feel but it's basically straight into it, no messing. massive drum hits and surging guitars. the droning section in the middle is also really engaging, then it goes for an EPIC ending. do I miss the voice samples and ambience? kind of.. but this album rocks.

Viet Cong- s/t
one of the best new bands I've heard in a while. I forgot this came out this year, but I've been listening to it reguarly and definitely want to see where they go from here. there's shades of postpunk, no wave, psych, all in the mix. it's a tight and concise record too (which is maybe why it's so addictive to me), it's quite varied- some of the tracks are arty noise collages, then there's also some heads down rocking but with some real power. the lengthy final track 'Death' is one of my tracks of the year. it builds into a pummelling kind of drone section.

Yo La Tengo- Stuff Like That There
one that has to make it in just from how much I've listened to it. wasn't really expecting too much from this to be honest- acoustic YLT can be okay but has never really got my heart pumping like their some of their other stuff. they really nailed it here though. the song choices are fairly obscure (apart from a couple of obvious exceptions- Hank Williams and Cure) but it never seems like they are digging up groovy hipster stuff for the sake of it. the record really maintains a consistent mood all the way through, all the songs fit together well (even the new songs they wrote- a very brave move!). I initially considered this a negative, as all of their other records are so eclectic- but it really grew on me. The production is spot on and so is Dave Schramm's tasteful and clean lead playing. a delightful, charming record from a band still on top form! (Fade and Popular Songs were both great too)

Gigs of the year

Ride- Manchester Albert Hall. the initial Oxford comeback date for the real fanboys was also incredible- never felt atmosphere like it. was worried that this show wouldn't live up to it, but amazingly it actually raised the bar. still get chills thinking about moments like LTAB opening or the chanting along to Vapour Trail. setlist covered all the bases, crowd totally buzzing, amazing musicians, doing a reunion for the right reasons..

Kandodo- Liverpool Psych Fest. wowsers. this is when psych is really at its best. Kandodo expanded with Carlton Melton members was a ridiculously powerful beast. masterful musicians building up a trippy set of gargantuan proportions. sometimes you just thought "where is all this SOUND coming from??". it was almost like the music started gathering its own momentum. it was an honour seeing a special one off set like this.

GYBE- Manchester Albert Hall. I guess this ties into me also loving the new album which was played in full and sounded extremely powerful. it was the perfect venue for Godspeed- very grand and imposing. I like the way the band just came on, no hellos, very little lighting, and build from the Hope Drone into an epic set which really takes you on a journey. the sound quality was very impressive- the guitars were thick and scuzzy, the bottom end was meaty and the crescendos really hit home. even the new songs sounded great!
Upon re-reading Jon's post I realise I was at all three gigs with him. More power to his elbow that he managed to enjoy the tunes. The Godspeed gig in MCR came a week after the death of a very close friend in tragic circumstances. I went to the gig feeling pretty sad and lost. I left feeling much recovered but now associate the latest LP with the events preceding the gig. It might be a while before I go to another Godspeed gig.

Kandodo were epic but were fleshed out with Rick from Carlton Melton and Paul Allen from The Heads. I'm hoping for a live LP.

I really enjoyed Ride. The venue did them no favours but the gig was excellent. Others in our group didn't agree, but I thought it was a really solid show. I love LTAB as a set opener, and wish they would let the sequenced intro play to much longer. The usual opening music fyt (fuck you too) from the first This Mortal Coil LP does not have half the impact.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Sorry to hear that Olan. Sounds brutal. Best wishes...

Angelsighs, you and the other guys here have seen so many gigs this year I'm guessing that's why you have little time for recordings!

For me it's the total opposite. Saw one gig this year - it was an all-time great one though so it's cool.

List imminent.
O P 8
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

This was another great year for finding music; I admit to having a hard time listing each release; but a look at the Totality of acquisitions, I can best give at least an idea.

2014 & 2015 were two of the best years I've ever had for sheer numbers of Wonderful examples of "like new" recordings from 1885 - 1949; these were also Fantastic years for sealed recordings of every era, but also for great 7" PS singles from all over the globe; with especially nice examples from 1958 thru 1980; & especially nice 7" PS records from the 1960's & 1970's; I am genuinely amazed at the quality and variety of these discs; I am really very pleased with what I found, often by sheer luck and Dealers I know can be trusted to deliver the best possible examples.

I'm very thankful to this SITE's eclectic group of Users - all of you who bother to share what you've come across have each been a great help to everyone who missed what you did not, and I trusted your lists to add to my own collection.

There are still far too many discs I have unpacked and properly stored, but not yet heard; I imagine many cold winter nights will be filled with music here at home.

I WISH YOU ALL A VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS - or Whatever Holiday Season You enjoy; AND A
VERY HAPPY NEW YEAR to everyone!
"Everything is a Poison; it is the amount or degree that separates one Poison from another"
Paracelsus
runaway
Known user

Post by runaway »

Cheers as well, semi. Looking forward to another year of your always interesting submissions.
And health and happiness to all the other users in the coming year!
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

olan wrote: Upon re-reading Jon's post I realise I was at all three gigs with him. More power to his elbow that he managed to enjoy the tunes. The Godspeed gig in MCR came a week after the death of a very close friend in tragic circumstances. I went to the gig feeling pretty sad and lost. I left feeling much recovered but now associate the latest LP with the events preceding the gig. It might be a while before I go to another Godspeed gig.

Kandodo were epic but were fleshed out with Rick from Carlton Melton and Paul Allen from The Heads. I'm hoping for a live LP.

I really enjoyed Ride. The venue did them no favours but the gig was excellent. Others in our group didn't agree, but I thought it was a really solid show. I love LTAB as a set opener, and wish they would let the sequenced intro play to much longer. The usual opening music fyt (fuck you too) from the first This Mortal Coil LP does not have half the impact .
sorry to hear that Olan- it must be hard when certain things remind you of tragic events, through no fault of their own. fair play for even making it to the show- I'm not sure I would have felt up to it.

maybe you're my lucky charm in terms of gigs? or maybe we are just gentlemen of impeccable taste :)

the Kandodo 5 set would be a perfect candidate for a limited release with coloured vinyl/paper sleeve/tacky badge surely?
BzaInSpace wrote: Angelsighs, you and the other guys here have seen so many gigs this year I'm guessing that's why you have little time for recordings!

For me it's the total opposite. Saw one gig this year - it was an all-time great one though so it's cool.

List imminent.
fair point- I do try to go to a fair amount of gigs, but I don't tend to be able to keep up with new releases. my reasoning is that the best gigs are unique experiences and memories that can live with you a long time (not that records can't give you memories, but you know what I mean).
think I'm gonna check out some of the records on the lists above and see what I've been missing out on.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

I missed 2 shows, but one in particular. First, SFA in Manchester. Party.

Secondly...

Mark Kozelek/Sun Kil Moon at RNCM in Manchester. I haven't gone into any detail on anything here so far in relation to my selections, but this show was really one of the finest I have seen in my entire life. Mark has an incredible knack for digging out all the emotions you've felt for years and presenting them to you one after another throughout a whole show. Really, I was holding back tears for almost the entire evening until he played Caroline, where I faked going to the loo so my buddy wouldn't see me totally break down. It came at an unusual and difficult time for me, but that song gets me every time without fail. Even where some of his songs don't hit the heights they can, his vocal delivery has me in bits whenever. What a remarkable performer, there is not many like that, if any. Sure he can be a douche (he's actually dead nice though), but god he is good.
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

runaway wrote:Cheers as well, semi. Looking forward to another year of your always interesting submissions.
And health and happiness to all the other users in the coming year!
Thank you runaway and FM Spaceman -

After being so general in my descriptions, I would like to share a specific piece I obtained just yesterday, what will likely be the BEST of the LAST for 2015. An unusual disc of great rarity. It will be a sort of "Jazz" version of The Son's of the Pioneers "Old Man Atom".

I have, for the last 3+ years, been collecting Blue Media discs of Rudy Vale'e (and other Columbia Label Jazz Bands - and Varése), but these Valle'e discs are different from simply being Blue Media, all are individually Autographed on the Label and are also specifically "Private Release Only"; these are later discs, say 1932-1936; but the latest, from Post WW2 is FANTASTIC! (I have also been collecting other assorted Blue Media commercial releases). An Autographed, 12" Blue Media, Private Release Pressing, Picture Label, of a unique-to-this-version of "Blues in the Night", but most important of all, a piece about the ATOMIC BOMB called "We're Taking Off" is on the flip side. This particular recording was a little more pricey than others, but I don't care; this fellow is kindly always quick to "cut the price" for me. I bought it from a long-time Dealer who finds things that are amazingly difficult to come across. He provided several of the Bessie Smith discs I mentioned earlier in the year that are absolutely damnably difficult to still find "as new" almost 100 years later.

Most of these (non-commercial releases of) Valle'e Blue Media discs are 10", have unique-to-this Private Release song versions, and were usually made as gifts for numerous Rudy Valle'e Parties and The Holidays, with Valle'e autographing every one, (almost always in advance). Some, which were more "unusual" for Valle'e, like this "Dr. Strangelove-like 12" Nuke Protest piece" - (AS IT WAS DESCRIBED TO ME by the Dealer; were more for friends and not the Record Company. I asked a lot of people to please wait and send these fragile 78rpm discs until after the New Year; but this latest disc, from c. 1946. (I think is the most interesting of the last batch of the year).

I would truly like to share some of these more obscure early recordings, (Those I do not see listed on YouTube) by having an Engineer literally "record the disc AS IT SOUNDS IN THE MUSIC ROOM" - which is the best idea I've been given; since I lack the equipment (and frankly, the expertise) to capture what one hears from a totally Acoustic Sound in the room from these early 78rpm recordings (some are 80rpm!); the horrible-noisy-scratchy direct-to-digital recordings of assorted GREAT music on YouTube offends the ear. I have noticed that even simply "recorded through the air" pieces sound better on YouTube - which sounds terrible enough as it is, frankly, but it is the only way I can attempt this. So maybe I can find the right person to record the fullness and dynamic sound that is what I hear at home, but only rarely on YouTube, and that is usually from a newer source or even a CD. Digital Sound has improved greatly over the years, but is not well suited for these older discs; I think recording what you would hear is infinitely better than just recording these discs to directly Digital. They were meant to be Acoustic. Below are examples that came to mind of assorted "Special" Blue Media type discs. There are many more, but most appear on other areas of this SITE, or I may not have mentioned them, or shown their images yet.

(4) Examples of Blue Media/ Private Release Recordings, R. Valle'e (Columbia Label Era, in order below -
c. 1946, c. 1934, c. 1932, & c. 1932
1. "Blues In The Night"/ "We're Taking Off" Private Release Only - no other available release. SHOWN BELOW "Test #1".
2. "I'm Playing with Fire"/ "Bed-Time Story" Private Release Only (different versions than commercial D2737).
3. "Brother Can You Spare a Dime"/ "St. Louis Blues" (Commercial 12" example signed for a Party Guest).
4. "The Drunkard" (aka There is a Tavern in the Town) Laughing Version/ "The Whiffenpoof Song" (a very Olde Yale Univ. Singing Group song); a Private Release Only (w/ VERY different versions than are commercially available on any Original Harmony Label (1927), other pre-Victor Labels and beyond- SHOWN BELOW

It is great fun finding these early discs; I have been very fortunate to come across more E+ (or better) 78rpm discs than I had imagined I would.
Attachments
RUDY VALLEE "We're Taking Off" with "Blues in the Night" PRIVATE LABEL AUTOGRAPHED Blue Media; w/ "TEST #1" in the Dead Wax area; 1946; autographed and notations made on both sides; a very interesting 78rpm 12" disc.
RUDY VALLEE "We're Taking Off" with "Blues in the Night" PRIVATE LABEL AUTOGRAPHED Blue Media; w/ "TEST #1" in the Dead Wax area; 1946; autographed and notations made on both sides; a very interesting 78rpm 12" disc.
RUDY VALLEE We are Taking Off with Blues in the Night PRIVATE LABEL AUTOGRAPHED Blue Media 500cc.jpg (59.34 KiB) Viewed 9525 times
RUDY VALLEE The Drunkard Song with The Yale Whiffenpoofs - "large Autograph"  PRIVATE LABEL BLUE MEDIA 1934
RUDY VALLEE The Drunkard Song with The Yale Whiffenpoofs - "large Autograph" PRIVATE LABEL BLUE MEDIA 1934
RUDY VALLEE The Drunkard Song with Whiffenpoofs PRIVATE LABEL BLUE MEDIA 1934 500cc2.jpg (63.59 KiB) Viewed 9525 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:44 am, edited 7 times in total.
"Everything is a Poison; it is the amount or degree that separates one Poison from another"
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

My "last of the year" additions list grew a little today; I randomly searched for Sealed LPs and these recordings should be here at the first week in 2016 (+/-).

1&2). "Casino Royale" 1962 OST (James Bond Spoof) MONO and STEREO copies; still sealed. USA. (Used the image sent to me).
3). "In The Court of the Crimson King" 1969; King Crimson; 1st issue; Stereo; still sealed. USA. spare copy.
4). "Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolff" OST; USA; still sealed. spare copy.
5). "Roxy Music #1" w/ Eno. stereo; USA; still sealed. spare copy.
6). "King Crimson Box Set 2009 JAPANESE PROMO; sealed + DVD.
w/ the MONO MIX of #3 above. All others in 5.1 mix.
7). "The Rolling Stones - NOW" USA Only; essentially Rolling Stones #2. MONO; Original "non-boxed"; still sealed; USA; spare copy
Attachments
CASINO ROYALE OST Comedy Stereo 1962 (sealed); Weird and Wild Comedy Film (OST) spoofing James Bond; very 1960's.
CASINO ROYALE OST Comedy Stereo 1962 (sealed); Weird and Wild Comedy Film (OST) spoofing James Bond; very 1960's.
CASINO ROYALE OST Comedy Stereo Copy 500cc.jpg (58.68 KiB) Viewed 9525 times
Last edited by semisynthetic on Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
Paracelsus
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

simonkeeping wrote:Wand : Golem

I think you'll like it man. If you dig all that West Coast scene (Ty Segall et al) then it will be right up your street. And the songs are so good, firing off in all directions and going to some special places. I can't sing its praises high enough. I'd love to know what you think. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xcvmk1TGeH4
Just wanted to let you know that I did get Golem on vinyl and I really dig it. I haven't only listened through once, but I'm going to put it back on this evening. Thanks for the great suggestion!
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

TheWarmth wrote: Just wanted to let you know that I did get Golem on vinyl and I really dig it. I haven't only listened through once, but I'm going to put it back on this evening. Thanks for the great suggestion!
Nice one man! Really glad you like it!