Mogwai album " Atomic "

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

spacemanrich
Known user

Mogwai album " Atomic "

Post by spacemanrich »

New Mogwai album will drop on April 1st, at least in North America. Seems like reworked songs from the Atomic project of some sort ? First tour date is May 1st in Austria with more dates to follow :

http://us3.campaign-archive2.com/?u=f8a ... bda103f437
TheWarmth
Known user

Re: Mogwai album " Atomic "

Post by TheWarmth »

Psyched. Always down for more Mogwai.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

I get a regular new release email from the amazing Monorail Records in Glasgow, and I know a lot of you love Mogwai and extremely limited vinyls...

http://us8.campaign-archive2.com/?u=6eb ... 81674bc7c0
O P 8
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Bugger, sold out. :( Thanks for thinking of us vinyl nerds though Bza :wink:
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Shinesalight wrote:Bugger, sold out. :( Thanks for thinking of us vinyl nerds though Bza :wink:
I checked at lunch time and it was sold out by then, shame, been acquiring a few nice screen prints and would have liked that one,

The thought was there though Bza, so cheers anyway,

Band shared a track from it last wk or something, https://soundcloud.com/rock-action-records/mogwai-u-235
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Did anyone across the pond pick up the new Mogwai album yet ? It was released this week in the U.K. Tempted to pick up a foreign copy since it won't be released in the states until May or June, I believe ?

Is it any good ?
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I got an email with a download link from Temporary Residence, as a result of pre-ordering the vinyl version. So far, so awesome, but I need more time with it.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I'm surprised there isn't more interest in this. This album is fantastic. I have to say that I like it better than the Zidane and Les Revenants soundtracks they did, although both of those are excellent, too.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

TheWarmth wrote:I'm surprised there isn't more interest in this. This album is fantastic. I have to say that I like it better than the Zidane and Les Revenants soundtracks they did, although both of those are excellent, too.
Not heard the Zidane one, Les Revenants is interesting, good if I`m in the mood, glad I saw the series though, really helps understand/enjoy the mood they create.
Atomic I feel sits with those two, weren`t Mogwai saying it was their proper 9th album? I really like the 2/3 tracks at the start, and then a kinda samey-ness/ uniformity of atmosphere creeps in and my mind starts to wander, I shall persevere with it though, got tickets to see them perform it in August.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Yeah, strange how the U.S. won't get the album until June 7th ? I always thought that the U.S. and U.K. are released close to one another ?

Yeah, Zidane is a great soundtrack that is often overlooked.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

TheWarmth wrote:I'm surprised there isn't more interest in this. This album is fantastic. I have to say that I like it better than the Zidane and Les Revenants soundtracks they did, although both of those are excellent, too.
the thing about Mogwai is that for me, their very respectable work rate almost works against them. I still haven't even got around to getting Rave Tapes yet. not because I don't like Mogwai- I love them. it's just they keep releasing EPs, albums and soundtracks and I can't keep up, when there is so much other music to check out. their music is very consistent but it's not going to make any great leftfield turns now.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Mogwai album " Atomic "

Post by BzaInSpace »

Gotta be honest and say I have at least one Mogwai CD still in it's cellophane wrapper.

"So many albums... so little time..."

Not that I dislike them or anything - their epic performance at Aberdeen's The Lemon Tree in 1998 (I think?) was probably the loudest gig I've ever attended.

They were using MBV's live sound engineer at that point (who was probably eager for work at that point) and it was just mental.

I remember sitting at the very back of this small venue, on a raised seating area with walls around the entrance inside and the pint glasses were actually rattling on the table.

Their albums are generally always decent, but I still think they have yet to make the definite classic album.

Strictly IMO of course!
O P 8
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

I'm pretty much with you both regarding Mogwai, Bza & angelsighs. Live, they're usually magnificent and sometimes transcendental (I think I've seen them seven times now, and the 2006 Usher Hall gig is easily in my top-3 shows of all time), but for me they've never quite translated that onto an album. I think part of it is sheer familiarity; Young Team blew my 16-year-old mind apart on release, and at the time was unlike anything I'd ever heard. Now, a new Mogwai album gets compared to a) the myriad other wonderful bands I love of a similar-ish ilk and b) their huge back catalogue. And recently, alas, they've been falling short IMO. I'm rather impressed with Atomic - it's a huge improvement on the (IMO again!) woefully pedestrian (but still fundamentally decent) Rave Tapes. But still, I doubt it'll be listening to it much in a couple of months time. My teenage self was so disappointed with CODY that I ignored Rock Action and Happy Songs completely, and only went back to them after Mr Beast. Nowadays I find much to enjoy in CODY, but again, it's not something I ever get the urge to listen to.

With hindsight, I'd say that:

a) every single Mogwai album is at least "good"; the poorer albums are only poor in comparison to their peers

b) I agree that they don't have a truly classic album, although for me three definitely tower above the others (Young Team, Happy Songs and Hardcore).

So, Mogwai: a band I paradoxically love, yet usually disappoint me :oops:
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

i'd agree that they haven't made a stone cold classic album, but their quality level is generally very high.

still a stupendous live act with some serious firepower.