Primal Scream - Where The Light Gets In

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

johnnyboy
Known user

Primal Scream - Where The Light Gets In

Post by johnnyboy »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83Xgn8wbphA

Duet with Sky Ferreira = a pop song. Not sure if it's pop-tastic though. I thought they'd go off on an experimental vibe but obviously not.
stegraham
Known user

Re: Primal Scream - Where The Light Gets In

Post by stegraham »

Blimey! That's pretty dreadful!
mkb
Known user

Post by mkb »

Can't listen at work, will put it on later. I'm interested to hear this, the Sky Ferreira album from a couple of years back was great.
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

stegraham wrote:Blimey! That's pretty dreadful!
It's not great is it. An unexpected new vibe, all shiny bright pop, safe and uneventful. Should appeal to her fans I guess.
Hedspace
Known user

Post by Hedspace »

they should have titled it "this is where the light goes out"
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

If you don't like beautiful future lp, you probably won't like this. It coulsd almost been in this album imo. BF is underrated imo, yes some of the lyrics aren't good, but still a good album
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

It's terrible imo
So glad I didn't bother with pre ordering the album or getting Manchester tickets. A far cry from Vanishing Point and Exterminator
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

"Terrible!" "Dreadful!" Whatever. I like this a lot better than, "It's Alright, It's Ok," for example. While I do prefer the darker/weirder side of the Scream, they're not going to go that route for every album. I land in the camp that appreciates the best moments of Beautiful Future, rather than despising it as a whole, so I'm good to go with the new LP based on this single.
stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham »

I like Beautiful Future - I know a lot of people will think I am mad for saying this, but I think it's the best record they've done since Screamadelica. However, this new song doesn't have a BF vibe to me - sounds like a bit dull and generic "pop" to me.
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

For what it's worth, I think the video is great. I see Spaceman's missus is the exec. producer.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Never been a really big Primal Scream fan. Their album's are hits and misses, mostly misses.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

This thread might just good enough for me to finish this epic Primal Scream write-up, in reply to the last "Primal Scream make me wet my bed" thread, which sits in my draft folder with heaps of other 'shit'

Anyway! Haters gonna hate, I think it's great.

Sounds like Beautiful Future spliced with ABBA's 'The Visitors' with a bit of Some Velvet Morning.

There's also no indication that this the sound and vibe of the album either. I don't think you get anybody more experimental than them, within their own mainstream-ish level at least.

Totally made my day... :twisted:
O P 8
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

On the first hear — love it! Can't wait until my album arrives.

:)

M
Design.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Hmmm....don't particularly like it but it is catchy.
One to file alongside Beautiful Future and see if it becomes a grower like BF was.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Thumbs up from me, listened to it maybe a dozen times now, sounds lush, the voices work well together and quite catchy. I don`t expect the rest of the album to sound like this necessarily, but its quite subersive in its own way, like the video an all.
KappaTI
Known user

Post by KappaTI »

It seems pretty disappointing. I always like these guys best when they're exploring new (for them) territories. "More Light" was great for that, so I hope this is just a one off and the rest of the album gets a bit weirder.
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

KappaTI wrote:It seems pretty disappointing. I always like these guys best when they're exploring new (for them) territories. "More Light" was great for that, so I hope this is just a one off and the rest of the album gets a bit weirder.
Their last great song for me was Deep Hit Of Morning Sun, totally love that song.

The new album sounds like it'll be quite poppy and concise. The likes of Haim being on it doesn't get me excited at all. https://i-d.vice.com/en_us/article/excl ... new-record
spaceman85
Known user

Post by spaceman85 »

Bobby G is da man...

new single? id have to give a few more but didnt do much for me the first two...

i understand bringing new peeps into the mix

if anything hopefully more people put down the rubbish and pick up more Primal Scream and other class acts...
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

Bobby says haim sound like black women ie. soul, so I expect those songs to be top
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham »

It was on the radio the other day when I was driving to work. Sandwiched between Rihanna and Craig David it didn't sound too bad. Not sure if that is damned with faint praise, or if it's actually growing on me?
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

burningwheel wrote:Bobby says haim sound like black women ie. soul, so I expect those songs to be top
Haim. Soul like Aretha. Black sounding like Betty Davis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TffpkE2GU4
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Full set from BBC 6 Music Festival on Friday Night featuring 'Where The Light..' and another new one: http://www.bbc.co.uk/events/eq6c8g/acts/axdn5v#p03jdxy5

Can't view it myself but the UK folks can tell us if it's any good or not.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five