glasto

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

The Dr
Known user

glasto

Post by The Dr »

headliners muse and coldplay

it is anoying me how the drag it out, anouncment coming soon, or not! or yes! ooo!

i think mr evis needs to concentrate more on the bands than himself....the festival is turning into him, self important but lacking any intrigue
“You're not Dostoevsky,' said the citizeness

'Well, who knows, who knows,' he replied.

'Dostoevsky's dead,' said the citizeness, but somehow not very confidently.

'I protest!' Behemoth exclaimed hotly. 'Dostoevsky is immortal!”
KingHarry
Known user

Re: glasto

Post by KingHarry »

who in their right mind would go? It must be so remorselessly shit.

Muse & Coldplay!
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

I find it hard to imagine anything worse, TBH. Stick (possible accidental trolling alert!) McCartney or the Stones on the other night and you've got official Festival Hell.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

to be fair though, no one ever went for the headliners... did they?
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

I`ve never been and have no interest at my advanced yrs in going or spending a weekend in a tent, as some kinda counter culture totem Glastonbury has meant bugger all to me ever, I like watching some of the music from the safety of my livingroom but that`s it, if it takes Coldplay, Muse or One Direction for the farmer dude to sell his tickets, so what really, couldn`t care less, if folk want to spend a fortune charging down to Pilton for the weekend fair play, and if the last 10 yr is anything to go by then Coldplay & Muse are just about right No? Both regulars if memory serves right, and no, I never f#cking watched them :lol:
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

I've also never been to a single festival in my life, and have no desire to either. So much so, in fact, that I'm considering booking a long weekend to see Iron Maiden in Lisbon rather than seeing them at Download in darkest Derbyshire... :lol:
plastic37
Known user

Post by plastic37 »

clewsr wrote:to be fair though, no one ever went for the headliners... did they?
Very true.
Even when Spiritualized on the second stage.
I do hope that getting ones teenage/20 year old mind blown by peripheral stuff is still likely - if the mind has been massaged correctly in advance.
Heavy Tourism
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

clewsr wrote:to be fair though, no one ever went for the headliners... did they?
Quite so. In the days before you needed to buy a ticket, I didn't have a clue who was playing the big stages and especially headline slots. I don't think I'd even seen the Pyramid stage until around 2005 (Brian Wilson and Van Morrison), and most of my experience with the Other stage was because you can't really avoid it when crossing the middle of the site.

I vaguely recall knowing Dylan was playing in 98, but we decided not to bother as it was assumed the compromises involved in large scale festival sound reinforcement likely wouldn't make fighting through the crowd worthwhile. I do regret that now, as my only subsequent opportunities to see Dylan have been in tin shed arenas with dreadful acoustics.

I still don't see the point in paying for big names that most ticket buyers have little interest in. I know they always say folks like Kanye West don't get paid as much, compared with somewhere like Coachella, but still I would imagine the fees and production costs of three big names could probably fund another little stage somewhere - for example I always think there are some artists who get shitty early slots on the big stages and don't get much turnout. I'm sure many of them would relish another chance to play in later timeslots to a more enthusiastic crowd.
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

mojo filters wrote:
I vaguely recall knowing Dylan was playing in 98, but we decided not to bother as it was assumed the compromises involved in large scale festival sound reinforcement likely wouldn't make fighting through the crowd worthwhile. I do regret that now, as my only subsequent opportunities to see Dylan have been in tin shed arenas with dreadful acoustics.

curiosity

Leopard-Skin Pill-Box Hat
Play Video
Señor (Tales of Yankee Power)
Play Video
Cold Irons Bound
Play Video
Just Like a Woman
Play Video
Silvio
Play Video
Little Sadie
([traditional] cover) (Acoustic)
Play Video
Masters of War
(Acoustic)
Play Video
Tangled Up in Blue
(Acoustic, with harp)
Play Video
Highway 61 Revisited
Play Video
Encore:
Love Sick
Play Video
Rainy Day Women #12 & 35
Play Video
Blowin' in the Wind

angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I guess it's true that there's a lot more to Glastonbury than the main headliners, but it's still a bit sad that the biggest bands in the world are still the same old bland names. the bubble will burst soon, or they will run out of headliners and have to downsize surely?

it's become too big and bloated now. I went once and it was great and all that, but a logistical nightmare to get around.

I would consider it again if the lineup was really good (and there's usually a lot going on musically when you look at the other stages), but as it now sells out before they even announce the lineup, I'm oot!

it really is about the music for me with this type of thing (and that includes the headliners)- I've said it before, but if I wanted to go and hang around in a field with some hippies and have an 'experience' I could do it for much less than 200 quid
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

I did Glastonbury in an unbroken run from 98 to 2005 when I 'retired'.

Had some of the best of times and some pretty shitty ones too, although most of the tears and wailing came in the fearful days after the festival to be fair!

No interest in ever going back now, mainly because I could never recapture the sheer hedonism with a child in tow (and the missus would NEVER let me go without her), nor do I have the energy to face the crowds and the yomping through mud.

And no, the main stage headliners didn't matter squat; in fact for the last two years I was 0/6 on them!
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

theres a lot of miserable people here!!

festivals are amazing fun. a lot of people don't even go for the music. Glastonbury is so vast that you needn't hear a single note of any band you don't want to. I have 'accidently' been exposed to so much good music from bands I aint heard of before at festivals.

Dark Star in the new bands tent 98 I think ....Amazing.

I admit Glasto is a bit of a corporate nightmare these days so I trot along to Greenman when i can instead.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I'm not saying I'm anti festivals- far from it. it's just that Glastonbury is a bit of a slog. I think it's become a bit bloated and just because it's the biggest festival it gets all the attention and self satisfied BBC coverage (which isn't a bad thing per se- do like to watch a lot of it from my armchair).
that said, if anyone wants to give me a free ticket... ;)
Alex English
Known user

Post by Alex English »

Speaking of Muse at Glasto, I suffered through a majority of their set at the Other Stage in 2000 in order to get up front for the Beta Band who were on after them. My girlfriend and I were not amused.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

mojo filters wrote: I vaguely recall knowing Dylan was playing in 98, but we decided not to bother as it was assumed the compromises involved in large scale festival sound reinforcement likely wouldn't make fighting through the crowd worthwhile. I do regret that now, as my only subsequent opportunities to see Dylan have been in tin shed arenas with dreadful acoustics.
I shudder at the memory. The sun came out on the Sunday and we trudged through the mud to catch Sonic Youth only for Dylan to walk out on stage instead. A quick enquiry to my neighbour informed us that SY had just played as they had swapped time slots. We lasted one song of Bob and as a group said 'Fuck this, let's go to the Dance Tent' :lol:
spunder wrote:theres a lot of miserable people here!!

festivals are amazing fun. a lot of people don't even go for the music. Glastonbury is so vast that you needn't hear a single note of any band you don't want to. I have 'accidently' been exposed to so much good music from bands I aint heard of before at festivals.
Right on Brother! :D
Did about 14 Glastos from 1992 - 2010 and it never mattered a damn bit who was on the main stage. I would still gladly go now if it wasn't so godamn expensive.
I find that it's the indoor festivals like ATP or Psych Fest where the line up is crucial. I would be very bored at those festivals if the line up didn't have a lot of acts i'd like to see.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

Glastonbury Festival organiser Emily Eavis has described the booking of Adele as the final headliner for this year's event as a "great honour".

Adele announced the news that she will headline the Saturday night at Worthy Farm during her O2 Arena gig on Friday night. She said onstage: "I wanted to do it last year but my record wasn't ready. And to the people who say I am too boring to headline, you're more fucking boring for moaning about me headlining."

The singer joins Muse playing on the Friday night and Coldplay closing the festival on Sunday.

Following the news, Emily Eavis tweeted: "What a great honour it is to have the wonderful Adele confirmed for this year's Saturday night headline spot on the Pyramid Stage!" See that tweet beneath.

Eavis recently praised the singer publicly. Asked if Adele would fit as a headliner at Glastonbury, Eavis replied: "She would, wouldn’t she? It would be great to get her."

Eavis added: "We love Adele. She’s an incredible artist and brilliantly honest and funny and real and that’s what everybody loves about her. She’s a great example because she doesn’t put up any pretence."

Adele previously said that she would never play Glasto because she is too scared of the festival's huge crowds. "I think I have made myself pretty clear on Glastonbury," she was quoted as saying. "The crowds are too big – I don't know if I could do it."

spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Fitting Coldplay are headlining Sunday night.
Cant think of a better band to beat the traffic to.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

I kinda feel bad for being so negative above. I was lucky to get to experience Glastonbury before it got commercial and "bloated" (which I think is an apt characterization).

I've just been watching the Spiritualized 2015 set on YouTube. Despite the obvious limitations of that medium, it's a really good sounding performance.

I was unlucky in that after seeing the glorious Sweet Heart / Sweet Light RAH gig, I then got a poor contrast via the first gig on the last leg of the tour for that album.

Recently I've been listening to some great recordings of the A&E tour. It was criminal that Jason dropped You Lie You Cheat from the setlist - it sounds nearly as good on the decent recordings I'm lucky to have, as it did when I saw the amazing gigs the band played to promote that album.

But I digress ... even via YouTube I can't help but be impressed by the 2015 Glastonbury set. I don't care that I can't recognize half the band - it just sounds great. Considering they were probably just going through the motions to play well-paying gigs to indifferent crowds, makes it all the more impressive!

Inevitably long-term fans like us have ever-increasing expectations, which realistically won't be met. But watching last year's Glastonbury performance at the very least shows how adept Jason and Doggen are at playing a decent set, regardless of circumstances.

I feel as guilty as the next man or woman whose taken the band for granted, contributing to a pervasive atmosphere of negativity. Hence I thought it only fair to admit it.

I'm not sorry I avoided the muddy march last June; I'm getting old and feeling tired. But watching the set from last year has made me all the more keen, in terms of anticipating the tour that will accompany the next album - whenever it appears...

Listening to the remarkable psych-bluesy guitars Doggen played both last year and back in 2008 has really awakened a hunger inside for some quality live music.

Good quality live music seems to have been missing from my life recently. Adding guitars to synthesized beats has become dull. Adding Ableton drum loops to filtered synths and guitar riffs might be acceptable to a music press with a limited understanding of what Krautrock actually is, but I'm sick of hearing substandard music given that label.

What I really crave is a band that can play some proper tunes, with a good mix of textures and dynamics. I'm sure other bands are out there pulling off such a tall order, but I don't envy their chances of getting recognized - let alone the chance of a career; such is the way the modern music industry works.

But from the glass-half-full perspective - I feel privileged not only to have the good memories of all that good music from the past, but I feel particularly lucky to have the expectation it will come in the future ... and if it comes on as strong as the 2011 RAH gig, I'm looking forward to pushing the plunger in when I hear the metaphorical red flush and know I'll get the good rush ;-)

Sent from my GT-I8160
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Today i had the realisation that this week will be the 30th anniversary of my first Glastonbury :shock:

Naturally, this has provided me with the perfect excuse to post this glorious set from that year 8) :D

clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

sunray wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:04 pm Today i had the realisation that this week will be the 30th anniversary of my first Glastonbury :shock:

Naturally, this has provided me with the perfect excuse to post this glorious set from that year 8) :D

Love this. I think my first year was 93, where the sound of the band had changed significantly over that year. I do remember being so excited when I managed to buy a VHS of this recording in Camden market back in the day, Spiritualized were not well represented in the live boot market as it was then, so it was quite a find.

I may be stuck in the past, but I think that 92 set was their best.
jesus son
Known user

Post by jesus son »

Never been to Glastonbury, but the festival has provided a favourite Spiritualized moment even though I wasn't there to witness it. I think this is them at very close to their (early form) best (but appreciate Jason went to Moles afterwards and polished it up à la RAH, but hey...). I still have the NME cassette somewhere, but nothing to play it on. God bless YouTube... where is the rest of this set?

https://youtu.be/0KbV8x0Nt04
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

jesus son wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:15 pm Never been to Glastonbury, but the festival has provided a favourite Spiritualized moment even though I wasn't there to witness it. I think this is them at very close to their (early form) best (but appreciate Jason went to Moles afterwards and polished it up à la RAH, but hey...). I still have the NME cassette somewhere, but nothing to play it on. God bless YouTube... where is the rest of this set?

https://youtu.be/0KbV8x0Nt04
Let It Flow discs 2&3 of a 3-cd collection: https://www.discogs.com/release/442140- ... et-It-Flow

Also on the bootleg cd Good Dope Good Fun and The Real Complete Works that have been posted here before.

None of these are the actual full set though. They played an extra 3 or 4 songs that never got released. I have an audience boot of the full gig which i can post but it may take a week or two.

@Clewsr; I love the 92 set but i'd have to go with 93 as their best Glastonbury performance, it just has the edge for me. Plus, it was at night so we got the lightshow and fireworks.
That guitar in Hypnotized floors me every time though. 'While my guitar gently weeps' indeed. Tears of joy. Funnily enough i always get an urge to play Hypnotized around summer solstice time.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

That '92 set was absolutely wonderful. A lovely afternoon and a stonking performance, but that was the peak years for me. I love the way the VHS recording managed to zoom in on the tiny plane in the sky - a moment I vividly recall at the time!
jesus son
Known user

Post by jesus son »

sunray wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:21 pm I have an audience boot of the full gig which i can post but it may take a week or two.
Cheers sunray, it would be absolutely amazing to hear the '92 set in full and without the studio wizardry applied to it. Yer a star!

Are the ones on Let It Flow 92 or 93?
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

jesus son wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:22 pm
sunray wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:21 pm I have an audience boot of the full gig which i can post but it may take a week or two.
Cheers sunray, it would be absolutely amazing to hear the '92 set in full and without the studio wizardry applied to it. Yer a star!

Are the ones on Let It Flow 92 or 93?
Let It Flow set is from 1993. Which is the year of the boot i have that i'm referring too.

There was an NME tape that featured Shine A Light/Clear Light Clear Rush from 1992. I think that's the only pro recording from the 92 Glastonbury set.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

I have a long standing mission - I need a proper NASA badge for that - to try and do something with the 1993 Glastonbury boot as promised years ago

The difference between the recorded versions and the bootleg was basically insurmountable at that time

I mean maybe if I had Abbey Road tech or what’s available now as plug ins …
O P 8
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Glastonbury 1993 Full Set, Audience Recording: https://www.file.io/uALT/download/W3Qc4mHL1UaU

Volume fluctuates at times but does settle down. Just have volume controls to hand!

File expires after two weeks.
jesus son
Known user

Post by jesus son »

Thank you very much for doing this sunray, unfortunately the page says (to me) "There was an error retrieving your file." or am I missing a trick?

Cheers anyway.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

jesus son wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:09 pm Thank you very much for doing this sunray, unfortunately the page says (to me) "There was an error retrieving your file." or am I missing a trick?

Cheers anyway.
Aw crap. It was fine earlier, but yeah i'm getting the same message as you. I'll re-up tomorrow.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

jesus son
Known user

Post by jesus son »

Thank you

Not having much luck, this new link delivers this message:

403 Forbidden

nginx

Really sorry for the hassle.
SpEnCeR1
Known user

Post by SpEnCeR1 »

jesus son wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:12 pm Thank you

Not having much luck, this new link delivers this message:

403 Forbidden

nginx

Really sorry for the hassle.
Zippy was blocked in UK , you need a VPN to circumnavigate, you can access it via US, or Russia for example
jesus son
Known user

Post by jesus son »

Ahhh, the VPN trick sorted it. Thanks all.