ORKESTRA OBSOLETE PERFORMS NEW ORDER’S ‘BLUE MONDAY,’ 1930S

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

MODLAB
Site Admin

ORKESTRA OBSOLETE PERFORMS NEW ORDER’S ‘BLUE MONDAY,’ 1930S

Post by MODLAB »

Design.
ro
Known user

Re: ORKESTRA OBSOLETE PERFORMS NEW ORDER’S ‘BLUE MONDAY,’ 19

Post by ro »

Lovely!
semisynthetic
Known user

Re: ORKESTRA OBSOLETE PERFORMS NEW ORDER’S ‘BLUE MONDAY,’ 19

Post by semisynthetic »

This was really nice. You may have not heard nor seen the "Musical Saw" before, but for really early recordings, say 1899 - 1919 and beyond, that instrument was often the ONLY instrument on the record!
I recall a 1920 Edison Disc of "I'm Sittin on top of the World" (Just Rollin Along, Just Rollin Along), and again, all the music you hear is the Saw.

This is an interesting experiment; but I can see how the "music of choice" (could) skew how the piece was played and even enjoyed. It is not easy for many people to "place themselves in a very different time"; I think much great music and lyrics are "lost" for this reason. Sort of like the need that was felt necessary to "colorize" B&W Films; but there are certain pieces that somehow touch people inside, and regardless of the age of the music, that music will be enjoyed for a very long time.

With this example, if only the Music were heard, (and there wasn't a constant visual reminder of the instruments age and era), it had a "futuristic" sort of sound to it - even the Musical Saw that I have heard so many times over the years, even that did not detract or distract from the performance; there are several Glass Instruments that produce a similar sound - some several hundred years old.

Thanks MODLAB; I had to find this on YouTube, maybe my phone is too old; very enjoyable stuff.
"Everything is a Poison; it is the amount or degree that separates one Poison from another"
Paracelsus