Music that's shite

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

mc
Known user

Music that's shite

Post by mc »

Inspired by the Scream thread, I really think it'd be good to have a place for everyone to exorcise some demons and happily denounce artists/bands they consider shite without fear of censure. Look, I'll start:

THE WHO
THE SMITHS
THE ROLLING STONES
THE BEACH BOYS
THE CURE
THE BYRDS
THE STOOGES
THE KINKS
LED ZEPPELIN
LOVE
U FUCKING 2

They're all gash, and I'm happy to put that in writing. Ahhh, I feel better now. Anybody care to join in? ;)
Laz69
Known user

Re: Music that's shite

Post by Laz69 »

Cold-motherfuckin'-play
U-cuntballs-2

Now the others... can't say i HATE them but bands that i've never really understood the hype... some similar to MC too

The Who
The Kinks
The Cure
The Smiths/Morrisey
The Clash
The Sex Pistols
Radiohead
Fleetwood Mac (post-Peter Green)
Ramones
Oasis
Blur
Queen

There are probably plenty of others that don't come to mins, but those first two make my blood boil!
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

THE WHO
THE SMITHS
THE ROLLING STONES
THE BEACH BOYS
THE CURE
THE BYRDS
THE STOOGES
LOVE

lolz
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

wow.. do you actually even like music? ;)

(I actually agree with a lot of those.. but I think 'gash' is a bit strong)

let's keep it positive people..
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

Chaosmosis! :lol: only joking, I've yet to hear it.

I agree we should focus on things we love more. But in the spirit of good sportsmanship, I will highlight my contempt for nu-metal and all the American 'alternative' dreck that came out around 2001. Truly the worst 'movement' or genre in my lifetime, and a completely brutal indictment of the corporate American music industry still clueless as to what rock music was/is, years after Nirvana. A bunch of stupid people with no idea about music still completely dumbfounded by Nirvana's success, and clambering to keep making money. I mean, the music industry was dying as it was. To me, they just hastened it by trying to shovel us this shit.

Music by a bunch of over-fed, middle-class American guys screaming because their mom told them to tidy their room, with atrocious jock humour over brickwalled toneless guitar. Particular offenders; Alien Ant Farm, Sum 41, Limp Biscuit (no, I won't misspell it!), Kid Rock and Papa Roach. Truly embarrassing and a shameful period in popular music.

On the positive side, we got Let it Come Down that year! So again, it is always worth focusing on the good rather than what you hate. Let's talk about Let it Come Down. I'll start- I always loved the banjo buried deep in Anything More. What a positive and life-affirming record.
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Hee hee, I was obviously feeling very mischievous (and a little tipsy) last night...

In all seriousness, I do agree we should focus on the things we love. Like Laz, some of the bands I mentioned fall into the "I don't really get the hype" category more than "gash", but hey! the thread was meant in jest anyway :)

I also forgot to mention The Smiths. Now they really are gash... :wink:
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

mc wrote:
I also forgot to mention The Smiths. Now they really are gash... :wink:
errr how drunk were you / are still?

check your OP!
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Oh good Lord, I really am useless...
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

bands who walk on stage with massive gutairs, make up, leather etc, hit a power cord and then start singing in falsetto derivitive tripe about how a girl doesn't like them any more- basically classic rock!

oh and the sodding beatles

oh and any band that took black music, made it white and dull

rolling sodding stones

etc

:P
“You're not Dostoevsky,' said the citizeness

'Well, who knows, who knows,' he replied.

'Dostoevsky's dead,' said the citizeness, but somehow not very confidently.

'I protest!' Behemoth exclaimed hotly. 'Dostoevsky is immortal!”
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

I don't get this THREAD. Really? None of these bands have any songs that you like?

I might only own certain albums or none of the aforementioned above... Some great moments in history where we would never have had the music that we love today.

M
Design.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Mr. FM. That's a much better idea.

:D :) :shock: 8) :lol: :x :P :cry: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:
Design.
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

When I get to Hell, my own special juke box will be playing a mash-up of:
1) Karma Chameleon
2) Susudio
and
3) entire output of Huey Lewis and the News

Thank you :D
Last edited by ro on Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

reach hell nothing but adele- turns out it is the devils torture...

The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

ro wrote:
3) entire output of Huey Lewis and the News

Thank you :D

ro
Known user

Post by ro »

Agh, the nightmares we'll all have tonight....
But oh, what fun to shake it all out.
Last edited by ro on Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

case closed!

abandon thread
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I am going to try and turn this into a positive.
When I listen to music the first impression makes the biggest impact.
This is when I will decide if I will likely ever play this LP or Cd again.
I have friends that collect music on their Itunes like beertickers http://beertickersfilm.com/. They have to hear everything once.
To me what matters the most if I think I will ever play it again. That is the ultimate test.
I have a rotation of about 300 LPs that will most likely get played again and again.
The rest of the collection is close by but the main contenders are in that main spot. Same with Cds. I will rotate things in and out.
That is what matters to me.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

Time Wasted.
Last edited by semisynthetic on Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Everything is a Poison; it is the amount or degree that separates one Poison from another"
Paracelsus
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

The Beatles - just never got it :!:
'Remember, change is not good'
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

I do have default LP's that I always return to in times of need!

Pink Mountaintops - Outside Love
Superchunk - Foolish
Damned - Strawberries
Spiritualized - LGM

To name but 4 :D

I'm sure you all do too :?:
'Remember, change is not good'
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

BVCP206 wrote:I do have default LP's that I always return to in times of need!

Pink Mountaintops - Outside Love
Superchunk - Foolish
Damned - Strawberries
Spiritualized - LGM

To name but 4 :D

I'm sure you all do too :?:
dylan, cohen, hardy are my go toos

BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

mc wrote:Inspired by the Scream thread, I really think it'd be good to have a place for everyone to exorcise some demons and happily denounce artists/bands they consider shite without fear of censure. Look, I'll start:

THE WHO
THE SMITHS
THE ROLLING STONES
THE BEACH BOYS
THE CURE
THE BYRDS
THE STOOGES
THE KINKS
LED ZEPPELIN
LOVE
U FUCKING 2

They're all gash, and I'm happy to put that in writing. Ahhh, I feel better now. Anybody care to join in? ;)
This is fuckin' hilarious...
O P 8
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

Anything after big band is shite.
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

MODLAB wrote:I don't get this THREAD. Really? None of these bands have any songs that you like?

M
Just a bit of fun and not to be taken too seriously! But no, in general the bands I've listed have at most two or three (and in most cases none) songs I enjoy. I'll of course admit their historical importance and the influences they've had on today's music, but that doesn't mean I need enjoy them if there's nothing there that floats my own personal boat. I don't believe in "sacred cows" in music or any other artform. But yes, we should expend our energy on talking about the music we love...
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Threads that are shite = this one.
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Sorry to have offended you so.
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

davedecay wrote:Anything after big band is shite.
if only they hadn't gone on strike and forced the likes of sinatra to find their own place independant of the band eh? they day msuic died...

MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

]I don't get this THREAD. Really? None of these bands have any songs that you like?

M

Just a bit of fun and not to be taken too seriously! But no, in general the bands I've listed have at most two or three (and in most cases none) songs I enjoy. I'll of course admit their historical importance and the influences they've had on today's music, but that doesn't mean I need enjoy them if there's nothing there that floats my own personal boat. I don't believe in "sacred cows" in music or any other artform. But yes, we should expend our energy on talking about the music we love...[/quote]

Aaaah. I understand. Let it go then. Just when you see band that that you lost your virginity to etc etc. It means a fucking lot.

Carry on and be happy!

:)

M
Design.
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

TheWarmth wrote:Threads that are shite =
http://spiritualized.band/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12946
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

I quite like this thread.
It's rather more harmless and funny than some other discussions.
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

That was the aim - harmless fun. I've learned that a typically Scottish mordant sense of humour doesn't always translate well to the screen, and that some folk really don't like their favourite bands being called "gash". Nevertheless, I'm glad some are enjoying a spot of tongue-in-cheek irreverence :) To clear up any lingering confusion, just because I (or anyone else) say a band is shite, it doesn't mean said band is objectively shite, or that my opinion is in some way important. Nor does it imply I think people are idiots for liking said band. Different strokes for different folks, and all that...
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

"No, it's not bad, but it's not great either, is it? And in your heart you kind of know that although it sounds all right, it's actually just shite."

To labour a point many don't give two pishes about, this short "Trainspotting" clip (note the Primal Scream in the background, continuity fans!) displays precisely how me and my friends grew up talking about our cultural loves and hates:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQD-dXfHrvk

So yeah, my view is don't take things too seriously and chill out. Overall, music is good, and that's the most important thing. :)

A Sick Boy-related comment - in my humble opinion, Lou Reed's solo career is anything but shite. In fact, I believe it far surpasses the VU in terms of musical content, listenability and general greatness (and I love the VU). Thoughts?
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

mc wrote:That was the aim - harmless fun. I've learned that a typically Scottish mordant sense of humour doesn't always translate well to the screen, and that some folk really don't like their favourite bands being called "gash". Nevertheless, I'm glad some are enjoying a spot of tongue-in-cheek irreverence :) To clear up any lingering confusion, just because I (or anyone else) say a band is shite, it doesn't mean said band is objectively shite, or that my opinion is in some way important. Nor does it imply I think people are idiots for liking said band. Different strokes for different folks, and all that...
It is not just Scottish, or any particular place really. Attempted humour is often lost when in print alone; but a sparkle in the eyes and a bit of a smile changes the meaning and the mood tremendously, more than my ability to write does, certainly.

As to Lou Reed and the VU, I love it all. I have 4 copies of "Metal Machine Music"; 3 are still sealed, and 2 of those are Promos; you MUST love Lou Reed to have accumulated that! Unlike many, I am a real Nico fan, too. I have the LPs and some singles from everyone in that band; they all created interesting music, but "Perfect Day" does come to mind whenever I read or hear of "Lou Reed", Trainspotting or not.........
Last edited by semisynthetic on Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Everything is a Poison; it is the amount or degree that separates one Poison from another"
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

Oh Brother!
That Party was NOT a Party as I understand the idea. It is hilarious, but I hope I do not come off like that poor soul!

I may in fact be worse; recordings and related items are but a fraction of my interests; my kids used to tell me that "anyone who comes into this Museum (our home) should have to pay, like, at least a dollar or something - where else are they going to see this sort of stuff?"

But, I do have a life, REALLY; and I need to go because I'm taking my wife out to eat delicious food. We don't cook that much.

Hilarious!
Paracelsus
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Why has no one mentioned The Grateful Dead? I thought that would be the easiest of all popular bands there are to dislike...
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

For me, file The Greatful Dead under "Famous Bands/Artists I've Somehow Never Heard In My Life" :lol:

Where would be a good place to start?
SpaceLine
Known user

Post by SpaceLine »

mc wrote:For me, file The Greatful Dead under "Famous Bands/Artists I've Somehow Never Heard In My Life" :lol:

I'd recommend American Beauty to start, a batch of short, gorgeous tunes that is about as good an album from start to finish as any. Box of Rain is one of those songs I'll love forever and there are many other strong tunes. If you like Wolfking of LA try this record.

Now, for my shite list, I love ragging on successful millionaires who are far cooler than me:

U2
Dave Matthews
Steely Dan

those 3 are my standards. All suck ass. But my number one is Sir Paul McCartney.

Not the Beatles era Paul, but Wings and after. The definition of shite. Jet? Ebony and Ivory? Wearing a mullet for over 20 years? Your daughter designs bullshit $$$$$$$ clothes? Fuck off Macca :twisted:
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

That man* from the Go Compare adverts in the UK.

*Although I liked his earlier limited edition wish candy blue and green swirl vinyl releases on Abstract Wolf Nose. Limited to 3 copies worldwide and due to a pressing issue are completely silent throughout. Heavy!

He also played the harpsichord on the theme to Rentaghost: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7FytKTTIbY Amazing Psych rock Panto vibes. Believe. I also think Martin the drummer from ‘Buckled Robin’ and subsequently ‘Untidy Hhorse’ plays on it to? That’s what Roger Specwizard - from ‘Knackered Zip’ told me anyway?

Can we start a thread of bands we don’t trust? For example - Mark Knofler regularly steals the parking space outside my house. He says it’s his space but I know for a fact he lives in the the next street - which is clearly in parking Zone D, which we all know costs more from 9-5pm - sneaky. Eric Clapton owes me a quid from when I bought him chips at the swimming baths and said he’d pay me back a week later but never did. Bono once burgled my house and took my VCR and Ed Sheeran held all my family hostage and waterboarded them for 3 years. He’s scum.
http://www.soundcloud.com/haarlemriots
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

mc wrote:For me, file The Greatful Dead under "Famous Bands/Artists I've Somehow Never Heard In My Life" :lol:

for me, I hang around the early years, theres some fantastic recordings, really good audio quality of them stretching out and jamming on acid for the acid drenched audiences throughout 1966.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I only have one that fits under the title of this thread.
Metallica.
Not only that but the lead singer is a real piece of shit and a bully. Just ask Jason Newsted- former bassist.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

simonkeeping wrote:'Buckled Robin’ and subsequently ‘Untidy Hhorse’
:D
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

simonkeeping wrote:That man* from the Go Compare adverts in the UK.

*Although I liked his earlier limited edition wish candy blue and green swirl vinyl releases on Abstract Wolf Nose. Limited to 3 copies worldwide and due to a pressing issue are completely silent throughout. Heavy!

He also played the harpsichord on the theme to Rentaghost: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7FytKTTIbY Amazing Psych rock Panto vibes. Believe. I also think Martin the drummer from ‘Buckled Robin’ and subsequently ‘Untidy Hhorse’ plays on it to? That’s what Roger Specwizard - from ‘Knackered Zip’ told me anyway?

Can we start a thread of bands we don’t trust? For example - Mark Knofler regularly steals the parking space outside my house. He says it’s his space but I know for a fact he lives in the the next street - which is clearly in parking Zone D, which we all know costs more from 9-5pm - sneaky. Eric Clapton owes me a quid from when I bought him chips at the swimming baths and said he’d pay me back a week later but never did. Bono once burgled my house and took my VCR and Ed Sheeran held all my family hostage and waterboarded them for 3 years. He’s scum.
I'm crying here. Simon, I salute you.

As for that fuck Ed Sheeran...
O P 8
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

simonkeeping wrote: Can we start a thread of bands we don’t trust? For example - Mark Knofler regularly steals the parking space outside my house. He says it’s his space but I know for a fact he lives in the the next street - which is clearly in parking Zone D, which we all know costs more from 9-5pm - sneaky. Eric Clapton owes me a quid from when I bought him chips at the swimming baths and said he’d pay me back a week later but never did. Bono once burgled my house and took my VCR and Ed Sheeran held all my family hostage and waterboarded them for 3 years. He’s scum.

coulda been worse, they coulda sung for you- after charging a heck of a lot of money...

BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Bloody Clapton, not even buying his own chips...
O P 8
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

BzaInSpace wrote:Bloody Clapton, not even buying his own chips...
i'm more concerened about swimmingpools selling chips...

Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

The Dr wrote:i'm more concerened about swimmingpools selling chips...
Welcome to Scotland...
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Haha!!!
O P 8
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

BzaInSpace wrote:Bloody Clapton, not even buying his own chips...
i'm more concerened about swimmingpools selling chips...
Fair point but It was in 1984 - and as such still socially acceptable.
http://www.soundcloud.com/haarlemriots
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

Laz69 wrote:
Welcome to Scotland...

it's like a whole other country...