PJ Harvey - 'The Hope Six Demolition Project' [2016]

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

BzaInSpace
Site Admin

PJ Harvey - 'The Hope Six Demolition Project' [2016]

Post by BzaInSpace »

This year is getting better in a few ways personally - and not least with some amazing music due out soon...

From her forthcoming album The Hope Six Demolition Project by The High Priestess of Voodoo Rock & Roll: PJ Harvey herself. 8)

This was released via Spotify yesterday, and I can tell you it made my night. Worth downloading the app just to hear this.

However, somebody has uploaded to YT - take a listen:

Outstanding! A similar kind of feel to the incredible Let England Shake, except PJ sings in her natural tone. Beautiful, provoking and disturbing - however the outro mantra thing sounds like Nirvana covering 'Lola' - no higher praise!
O P 8
clewsr
Known user

Re: PJ Harvey - 'The Wheel' [2016]

Post by clewsr »

cheers Bza. Good news I do like PJ Harvey.
Vancouver
Known user

Post by Vancouver »

Really looking forward to this record. Let England Shake is one of the best albums of the last decade or so.
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

noisey has a premiere for the video for 'the wheel' as well as a lot of information about it.

http://noisey.vice.com/en_uk/blog/PJ-Ha ... -the-wheel

I really like it! This was also the first time I heard the new song.

I wasn't that impressed with 'Let England Shake,' (it only had a few songs that really struck me) but this is making me think I might need to revisit it.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I would say go back and revisit Let England Shake if you liike this. I had to do the same thing and now I love it. There is a Let England Shake DVD that has videos to accompany each track that is fantastic. I believe the are videos by Seamus Murphy too.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

What he said. Let England Shake is a true, beautiful and haunting masterpiece.

Repeated plays unveils sheer amazing music!

I would also say the (current!) high point of PJ's recordings - gutted I didn't see her in the Glasgow Concert Hall, but cannot wait to dive in to this imminent album...
O P 8
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

Vancouver wrote:Really looking forward to this record. Let England Shake is one of the best albums of the last decade or so.
Totally! That album is a masterpiece on all levels. The melodies are otherworldly, joyful and the lyrics are incredible. Political (without sounding like Bono), haunting, beautiful and under those twinkling melodies lies the unbelievable horror and utter darkness of war unimaginable in the western world. I have high hopes that the new album is going to be amazing. I was so annoyed I missed out on the Somerset House thing, only found out about it after it was sold out.

As an aside, check out the Let England Shake - Royal Albert Hall Concert on You Tube and the BBC Today programe she guest presented for a glimpse into the politics behind the album. Genuinely interesting and horrifying in equal levels.

Oh, and she used to send her albums to Don van Vliet to listen to before releasing them to get his feedback. That's ridiculously cool whatever way you look at it.
http://www.soundcloud.com/haarlemriots
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

I listened to 'Let England Shake' tonight. By the time 'On Battleship Hill' kicked in I was baffled as to why I hadn't liked the album when I first listened to it. I think it was a question of oddly misguided expectations that made me find it so off-putting at first. I also remember not liking 'Written on the Forehead' when it was released as a preview track. It all seems a little ridiculous now, but whatever, I'll just listen to it a bunch until the new album is released.
spacemanrich
Known user

PJ Harvey : Hope Six Demolition Project

Post by spacemanrich »

Didn't know that this came out. Just ordered it. Did anyone else pick this up ? Reviews are good for this album.
TheWarmth
Known user

Re: PJ Harvey : Hope Six Demolition Project

Post by TheWarmth »

I actually cancelled my Amazon pre-order. I want to hear from people I trust before I commit. I listened to the singles and thought they were alright, but not great. Certainly not as good as the material on White Chalk and Let England Shake. Please post your review after you've had time to absorb it.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

thanks for the heads up. Just ordered the vinyl.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I listened to the album this morning and it exceeded my expectations. My first impression is that it starts to lag a bit about about 3/4 of the way through, but overall I very much enjoyed it and should probably place a new order for a vinyl copy.
spacemanrich
Known user

Re: PJ Harvey - 'The Hope Six Demolition Project' [2016]

Post by spacemanrich »

Yeah, I bought it on the strength of her previous albums and the reviews for this one. Often not mentioned is the also great album of " Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea ".
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Paul,

Hit that order button for the album, I definitely think it is worth it. Mind you I've only listened it twice already and has some wonderful gems including the opening track, " The Hope Six Demolition Project " and " Orange Monkey ".
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

I just got this and listened to it today. It's a wonderful album. Great lyrics, as always with PJ, and wonderful bits of music. The first track off it is killer. You won't be disappointed!
sm-iom
Known user

Post by sm-iom »

Her first Number One (UK) album :)
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Is that right? Excellent. I'm eagerly awaiting getting this within the week and other stuff, c'mon payday!

Sent via psychic dream frequencies concurring with wifidelic technological shit
O P 8
sm-iom
Known user

Post by sm-iom »