PRINCE dead at 57

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

BzaInSpace
Site Admin

PRINCE dead at 57

Post by BzaInSpace »

Fucking hell. This is the worst fucking news.

Bowie was bad enough...

Heartbroken

O P 8
Dreamweapon
Known user

Re: PRINCE dead at 57

Post by Dreamweapon »

Still at work - and just heard.

Devastated........
mkb
Known user

Post by mkb »

Awful news. He was the best I've ever seen or heard.
Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon »

Dearly beloved
We are gathered here today
2 get through this thing called Life...
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

WTF?!?!?!?! I was just searching Prince tour dates this morning to see if anything was on the horizon state side. Completely devastated :cry: :cry: :cry:
I think I feel it coming on
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

So sad. One of the greatest, funkiest spirits to ever energise the rest of us. Forever indebted to his magic. Love.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
BROKENHEART
Known user

Post by BROKENHEART »

Such a brilliant musician and performer.
RIP Prince.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

WOW, that came out of nowhere like David Bowie's death. R.I.P.
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

Wow.
This is really hard to process.
Heaven's been A BIT TOO BUSY LATELY.

My gosh.
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

I just awoke, not long ago, and turned on The News; I am very saddened to hear of this. I remember buying his first several singles, (2) at a time, and putting them with every other "new" artist in the early 1980's as has been my way for decades; I remember buying "I want to be your Lover" from 1979, and I went to a couple of Concerts, and really enjoyed his recordings. Still, 57 is too damn young, but death always comes too early.

R.I.P. Prince
"Everything is a Poison; it is the amount or degree that separates one Poison from another"
Paracelsus
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Very sad stuff. Never really a fan but always an admirer of his endless work ethic and obvious talent and I really felt a jolt when I heard the news. He'll be sorely missed.
cantona
Known user

Post by cantona »

So sad.But he is already jamming with Bowie.

R.I.P. Prince
One Asian Under A Groove
Known user

Post by One Asian Under A Groove »

I'm heartbroken. His music is everything to me. Lucky enough to see him twice - the second show in Glasgow 2 years ago was one of the greatest things I will ever see. He was the dictionary definition of "genius". I once organised my birthday party to be a music-themed fancy dress affair, specifically so I could dress up as Prince. I tried to keep my outfit as a surprise, but too many friends said "It had better be Prince, who else could it possibly be?"

Life is just a party and parties weren't meant to last.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

PRINCE dead at 57

Post by BzaInSpace »

I think I'm in a mild state of shock.

My mind is blown and I feel fairly sick.

I had my children with me all day and when between cooking their dinner I idly flicked through the Reddit front page and saw this announcement about Prince - initially thought to be a hoax.

My stomach dropped, and then my phone blew up with people I know around the world asking had I heard. Then it was confirmed a few internet clicks later.

Such a cliche but I feel like I've lost a dear friend.

Which I suppose he was to me: no matter what point in my life when things were going down I found remarkable solace and vibrancy through his many incredible records.

Of course the flip side of that is when life feels good his music feels unbeatable.

Playful, sexy, often hilarious but always funky as fuck, and always sounds like it was dashed off in one take (which it usually was) yet sounds so dead on it.

For me he was an unparalleled musical genius: probably the best guitarist of the modern era - or at least since Hendrix.

He could play anyone out of the room - yet he was a master of space and silence letting the music breathe and just saying... enough.

Joy Through Repetion, and how to make one-man-machine music sound livelier than anything.

Miles Davis didn't record with him for nothing.

He's probably one of my favourite bass guitarists too!

As a producer he was unrivalled - every quirky pop smash you hear now contains elements of NPG DNA.

Closest I got to seeing him live was waiting to buy tickets for his solo piano gig in Glasgow late last year, which he cancelled that morning due to some dispute with Ticketmaster.

(Fuck Ticketmaster)

His ART-OFFICIAL-AGE album from 2 years ago was his best ever IMO. At least as good as Parade which is the gold standard for me...

So much more to say and that but I'm babbling now and will probably just end and say that life is short - dead at 57 from the flu?

I assumed that funky motherfucker was invincible!

Goodbye you incredible bastard.

At least for anyone not familiar with him you have a lifetime of music to discover: near enough an album every year since 1977 to this year, and not even mentioning the endless bootlegs of unreleased albums, side-projects, live recordings and of course The Vault - he claimed he wrote a song every day and apparently there are entire albums and 1000s of songs locked away.

Who knows what his death will mean for this stuff?

I have a feeling (like Neil Young) that he probably wants it all destroyed in the event of his passing.

TL;DR: Gutted.

Sent from the bottom of my aching heart

o}+>
O P 8
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Prince is an artist I enjoy listening to and I hugely respect his vision, virtuosic musicianship and terrifying work ethic. Alas, for some reason I've never really investigated his work beyond the obvious singles. It's trite to say, but I'm going to do so now. R.I.P. Prince :(
One Asian Under A Groove
Known user

Post by One Asian Under A Groove »

A photo I took of him at his Glasgow Hydro show in 2014. He'd allowed people to get their cameras & phones out by this point, so I couldn't resist. Look at him. The coolest man around.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (130 KiB) Viewed 5826 times
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

mc wrote:Prince is an artist I enjoy listening to and I hugely respect his vision, virtuosic musicianship and terrifying work ethic. Alas, for some reason I've never really investigated his work beyond the obvious singles. It's trite to say, but I'm going to do so now. R.I.P. Prince :(
It is impossible with Music to "have them all"; but I understand your feelings, I think - for every one of these wonderful people, these Artists that are suddenly gone, I felt something very much like regret; or I'd "taken a Genius for granted". Many people on this SITE seem to go for the newest, cutting edge music; and I understand the enjoyment in that - and to go back to the Beginning of Recorded Sound is likewise enjoyable, but no one can have them all, there is never enough time to enjoy "everything". So, I think we can mourn another loss, and learn more about what we missed, and it is not unreasonable.
"Everything is a Poison; it is the amount or degree that separates one Poison from another"
Paracelsus
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Gotta love this one. Prince being James Brown for nearly 16 minutes :D 8)

Positive thought: Iggy was celebrating his 69th Birthday yesterday.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Incredibly sad at the news, what an inspiration. The absolute peak of musical genius, I was lucky enough to see him perform twice, and PERFORM is the word alright. The circumstances also sound very tragic, getting hooked to his medication from past hip issues? Not so much real info right now so no good to speculate, the one thing for sure is he will be missed and the afterlife is seriously funky these days.
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

There are a number of inherent problems when dealing with semisynthetic opiates, like the Oxycodone/ acetaminophen (Tylenol) combination that has been mentioned as a possible medication in this case. Acetominophen in LongTerm mixtures is a very poor choice; for it can cause Liver problems. Oxycodone by itself is a fairly quick acting semisynthetic opiate and therein is the problem that complicates matters.

Quick acting, short half-life drugs are problematic - consider Nicotine. It crosses the blood-brain barrier so efficiently, that a delivery of the compound to the brain and to receptors occurs within 8 seconds or so of inhalation, and your body wants more, and soon.

For Severe Chronic Pain, I believe that time-released Morphea, or for some people, semi or totally synthetic analogues are superior to these mixtures; but there are inherent problems there as well.

So why add Tylenol or Aspirin to an Opiate? It makes misuse by injection harder, and allows, in many areas, a different Class System, one that can remove certain restrictions on its use compared to a drug without the added compound. Aspirin also acts as a synergist; and once upon a time, extra compounds in small amounts were also added for the same reason, but this is intended for SHORT TERM USE.

If any patient who has severe chronic pain sticks to a proscribed regimen, they are more likely to be a candidate for the stronger, time released compounds devoid of Tylenol or Aspirin or other drugs in a mixture. Aspirin can cause a great many problems when taken everyday, in multiple doses, and of course, Tylenol is a problem in Liver chemistries, and may cause liver damage with extended and prolonged use.

But, it is a tricky call for the physician, because Time-Released Morphea has a stigma that it does not deserve. The time released Oxycontin, (Oxycodone, Continuous release), a synthetic analogue of Morphea is quicker acting, and so is more prone to abuse. There is no "perfect fix" to dealing with Chronic Pain, but if it is necessary to use the stronger medications, it is in many ways safer for the patient if only they adhere to the proscribed regimen and not increase the dosage.

It is dangerous to keep a patient on these "mixture" drugs LongTerm because the Tylenol and Aspirin in time, can be MORE problematic than the opiate they are paired with, even if the patient is absolutely compliant.

The overuse of Aspirin can thin the blood to dangerous levels, cause gastric ulcers and a patient could bleed to death if taken for extended periods; liver damage can evoke a cascade of a great many problems. It is a very difficult quandary for all concerned.

This explanation was intended to be of some help in knowing the how and why of certain prescriptions and their benefit to risk ratios. Ideally, such medications are not taken, but in those cases where the pain is quite real and severe, it is simply wrong to allow the patient to suffer; a long-term chronic pain sufferer usually realizes there are times when NO AMOUNT of "extra" will help, and they must be patient and not end up abusing the medication, whatever it is.

But, the problem that causes pain can worsen, and in that case, the patient should see their physician ASAP; the added pain could be indicative of another, or a newer problem, possibly even problems caused by the use of these "mixtures" themselves; diseases of the heart or eventual blood clots in the lungs, for example.

I hope this was helpful in understanding some of the inherent problems that may not be well known to some of you; after decades in Medicinal Chemistry, they are very clear; I could not guess how many times I drew these various structures on a blackboard and discussed how these substances work in vivo.

Since Prince was of a religion that minimized medications, I believe he must have been in terrible pain; and it does occur to me that 5-6 years of multiple acetaminophen doses per day was not helpful at all.
It is all so sad.

I don't know what really happened, time will tell; but I heard error after error from the media, using the wrong terms and compound names, and equating substances for "excitement" value, and frankly, it annoyed me to hear them speak about things they know nothing about; or others using this tragedy to propagandize. Our humanity and the desire to live on the edge is very inviting; I'm very sorry he got too close to the abyss and slipped.

R.I.P. PRINCE
Last edited by semisynthetic on Sat May 07, 2016 3:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paracelsus
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

sunray wrote:Gotta love this one. Prince being James Brown for nearly 16 minutes :D 8)

Wow! Sunray, cheers, I somehow missed this post in the last few weeks - but so pleased this is in fact the legendary 16 minute epic 'Cloreen Bacon Skin'!!

Prince on bass and vocals, and the drummer from The Time (maybe?), recorded back in 1983...

Me and my mates used to throw this into DJ sets and stuff in the early 2000s.

Excellent choice - made my night hearing this again! It was bootlegged and finally appeared officially with shiny post production on the Crystal Ball triple set in 1998...
O P 8
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

https://pitchfork.com/news/prince-estat ... ng-listen/

This should be good. Piano & A Microphone - Live '83