New Heroes

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

ro
Known user

New Heroes

Post by ro »

Who are our New Heroes?
Whose devotion to their art gives you Hope?
Last edited by ro on Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Re: New Heroes

Post by BzaInSpace »

Obvious ones for me: J. Spaceman, Bobby Gillespie, Andrew Innes and Azealia Banks. Probably more but it's late

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
O P 8
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

“You're not Dostoevsky,' said the citizeness

'Well, who knows, who knows,' he replied.

'Dostoevsky's dead,' said the citizeness, but somehow not very confidently.

'I protest!' Behemoth exclaimed hotly. 'Dostoevsky is immortal!”
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

There have to be new musical heroes out there but, to be honest, as a jaded middle aged man I have no idea who they might be!

We'd have to ask 'the kids'... but unfortunately my own kid is only nine so his favourite song is Uptown Funk.

With the music industry business model so fucked I think it's fair to say real, credible, ground-up heroes will be thinner on the ground for future generations. Kendrick Lamar maybe? The Libertines had it for a while even though I've personally always hated them.
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

if canya west didn't talk about canya west would anyone?

i find it repulsive that the likes of beyonce are considered rolemodels (i just don't think i'm ready for her jelly). taylor swift seems to be a nice, if dumb, girl and does a lot of great things for her fans but in terms of literature, art, science, music etc i just can't see anyone to ge that excited about- sportsfolk maybe? but most of the famous ones seem to be unpleasnt folk

spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

The Dr wrote:if canya west didn't talk about canya west would anyone?

i find it repulsive that the likes of beyonce are considered rolemodels (i just don't think i'm ready for her jelly). taylor swift seems to be a nice, if dumb, girl and does a lot of great things for her fans but in terms of literature, art, science, music etc i just can't see anyone to ge that excited about- sportsfolk maybe? but most of the famous ones seem to be unpleasnt folk

ha ha! you sound just like your parents and their parents before them! :D

would you let your daughter marry a rolling stone?
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

new musical heroes ? Tim Hecker, Nils Frahm ?? Deerhunter ??? Courtney Barnett ???? DJ Shadow ????? GSYBE

ah fuck it theres loads
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

spunder wrote:
would you let your daughter marry a rolling stone?

i feel there may be a slight age difference :wink:

angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

music in particular is too fragmented into little scenes and genres to have any huge icons the like of Bowie any more. there may well be people as talented in the future, but their talent may be directed towards a niche, or a smaller audience just because of how the media works.
semisynthetic
Known user

Re: My Unsung Heroes

Post by semisynthetic »

It is not my intention to throw water on the Idea put forth in this Thread, but I have never considered a single Musician or any Artists, as Heroes. For me, the greatest Heroes in my life were and are my Grandparents; not because they sang well, or played any instruments or Painted or created Artworks. They didn't need to. It was the sum of all they did that makes them the undisputed Heroes in my life.

I have great respect for Creativity and Entertainment, and Art; but these are "extras" and compared to what I see in my Grandparents, who are now gone, but still with me, these other elements, as important as they are to me, like Music is important to me, are all absolutely secondary at best.

But as it concerns the next "Great" in music, I think we have one already in the provider of this SITE. For whatever reasons the latest Spiritualized LP is not here yet, I look forward to it! There are many very good musicians and accomplished Artists; sadly, we have lost too many of the very best all to soon of late.
"Everything is a Poison; it is the amount or degree that separates one Poison from another"
Paracelsus
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

great people don't ask comedians, actors and entertianers to lead

ro
Known user

Post by ro »

Dr:
I was simply asking
Who are our New Heroes?
Whose devotion to their art gives you Hope?
and nothing more... I must rely on myself to lead my own victories and fuck-ups :D

As for heroes, I mean those who I can turn to when I need to re-start the Fire.
Last edited by ro on Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ro
Known user

Re: My Unsung Heroes

Post by ro »

semisynthetic wrote:...I have never considered a single Musician or any Artists, as Heroes. For me, the greatest Heroes in my life were and are my Grandparents; not because they sang well, or played any instruments or Painted or created Artworks...
For me, it's not about simply creating or singing well. It's about sharing a unique vision that's against the grain with the general public fearlessly, or with fear and doing it anyway.
As for personal heroes, I think endurance in times of tribulation is the quality I admire most. That and compassion.

angelsighs, I think you hit the nail on the head. That's the concept I was trying to understand by asking this question. Times themselves have changed, and with them the way we experience music.
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

With ro's clarification of her use of "Heroes", I think it will take time. I sometimes use music to in someway change my mood; to help take worry away, or to stimulate thought, or to relax. And although there are many great Artists who have been important in my own life, I think in time more will appear that are still unseen or unknown. I received a Promo the other day of bands I had never heard of; except for David Bowie who came in at last place on their "Chart".
Nothing else impressed me at all on this Promo; it was musically simplistic and poorly delivered; but I am confident that a new few will emerge that are talented, and that are thinkers; that take from experience and knowledge; that are unique and do things in a way unlike anyone else. That is one reason I referred to Jason Pierce, above. The music, production, Packaging and so much more is just better than so many other bands that do not even come close.

So, at least for me, the New Vanguard may be on the way, finding what works - and making their way. There are many great musicians, but it is fragmented as Angelsighs pointed out, so I will patiently wait. I may have the Artists already - because I am so far behind in listening to what I already have, it has been that way for years; but every once in awhile I hear something so new, and fresh; something that really stands out. But not lately; not in some truly, earth moving way; nothing so Great that really strikes me as Fantastic. Not yet.
"Everything is a Poison; it is the amount or degree that separates one Poison from another"
Paracelsus
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

ro wrote: and nothing more... I must rely on myself to lead my own victories and fuck-ups :D

As for heroes, I mean those who I can turn to when I need to re-start the Fire.
yes i know, i just like PE :wink:

maybe it is less hero and more inspiration/comfort. if i have a bad day/time i can often turn to bob or lenny cohen

The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

semisynthetic wrote:There are many great musicians, but it is fragmented as Angelsighs pointed out, so I will patiently wait. I may have the Artists already - because I am so far behind in listening to what I already have, it has been that way for years; but every once in awhile I hear something so new, and fresh; something that really stands out. But not lately; not in some truly, earth moving way; nothing so Great that really strikes me as Fantastic. Not yet.

what attracts you to music? for me listening to hank williams feels more urgent, more relatable, more important than more modern music so i will go where i feel there is a real connection as opposed to just the music. is this what is meant by heroes? one someone invests time and effort into due to a personal connection? looking forward to the new hank seemingly ever delayed biopic!

ro
Known user

Post by ro »

The Dr wrote:yes i know, i just like PE :wink:
Oh.
: )
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Tony Soprano: It's good to be in something from the ground floor. I came too late for that and I know. But lately, I'm getting the feeling that I came in at the end. The best is over.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

jack white wrote:Tony Soprano: It's good to be in something from the ground floor. I came too late for that and I know. But lately, I'm getting the feeling that I came in at the end. The best is over.
There are so many artists and bands out there that have been there for years and just have not had the exposure they needed. For me, "new" does not mean on the Timeline, but literally "new for me"; many of the greatest "new" pieces I've heard are very early 78rpm discs that are simply not available to enjoy in any other format - unless you have the discs and equipment, these too will escape. I have recently found several very good bands from South America that are great - and will likely not get much coverage, since most were c. 1972-75; but they are new to me. I understand what ro is referring to - and again I think it is a matter of time and luck - there is so much out there, a great band could get lost in the muck and mire of all the rest.
Paracelsus