So these Verve reissues

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, spzretent, BzaInSpace, runcible

Re: So these Verve reissues

Postby spunder » Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:11 pm

i have been playing these reissues fairly constantly , despite earlier fears of brickwalling and all that stuff, i think they sound amazing, hearing loadsa detail ive not picked out before. rediscovery is a lovely thing indeed.

very pleased with them.

secretly looking fwd to the urban hymns reissue, my least fave Verve record, but a clean up might make me reappraise - it sounds muddy in comparison
spunder
Known user

Postby mc » Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:39 pm

Another vote here for the UH version of Come On - nothing comes remotely close. Nick's layered guitar overdubs give the song so much more depth.

UH was one of those albums that annoyed me by proxy, thanks to friends that only ever listened to songs they already knew from the radio. What's the point in buying an album if you're only gonna play tracks 1 and 4? Then Lucky Man came out, so track 9 was put on the playlist. Oh, and then eventually track 2 once Sonnet came out :roll: :evil:
mc
Known user

Postby angelsighs » Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:21 pm

mc wrote:Another vote here for the UH version of Come On - nothing comes remotely close. Nick's layered guitar overdubs give the song so much more depth.

UH was one of those albums that annoyed me by proxy, thanks to friends that only ever listened to songs they already knew from the radio. What's the point in buying an album if you're only gonna play tracks 1 and 4? Then Lucky Man came out, so track 9 was put on the playlist. Oh, and then eventually track 2 once Sonnet came out :roll: :evil:

glad it's not just me.. UH version of Come On for the win!

haha that's funny. I know exactly what you mean. one friend of mine had the album and when I asked her opinion, said that "I only like the songs they released as singles, with the rest it sounds like you've got to be on drugs or something".. it made me think that if she ever listens to A Storm In Heaven, it would melt her brain!!

I had another friend who had R.E.Ms Automatic For The People but would only play the singles on repeat (particularly the last 3 songs).. what is with these people??
angelsighs
Known user

Postby niamhm » Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:39 pm

Come On is one of my fav Verve tracks full stop,
niamhm
Known user

Postby burningwheel » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:44 pm

So the UH box was supposed to have a full disc of rarities, but apparently Ashcroft shot it down for live tracks instead. ffs. This is no longer going to have 'all ways and maybe' or whatever it was called
Last edited by burningwheel on Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
burningwheel
Known user

Postby Laz69 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:06 am

Nick was having a bit of a rant on FB yesterday about wee Dickie being a wee dick! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Laz69
Known user

Postby burningwheel » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:07 pm

Yeah, that was great
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
burningwheel
Known user

Postby angelsighs » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:08 pm

what on earth is Ashcroft playing at.
word is wants all the royalties for 'All Ways Are Maybes' even though it was one of those Verve tracks where they put together the backing track for him to put words onto.

here is proposed tracklisting for the UH outtakes disc

sweet & sour
wednesday madness
neon wilderness (idea)
jalfrezi
this time (beatnick mix)
tina turner (!!!)
oh sister
sonnet (demo)
original insanity
all ways are maybes
king riff 2

if they can't work this out, I really hope it leaks!!
angelsighs
Known user

Postby heisenberg » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:20 am

angelsighs wrote:what on earth is Ashcroft playing at.
word is wants all the royalties for 'All Ways Are Maybes' even though it was one of those Verve tracks where they put together the backing track for him to put words onto.

here is proposed tracklisting for the UH outtakes disc

sweet & sour
wednesday madness
neon wilderness (idea)
jalfrezi
this time (beatnick mix)
tina turner (!!!)
oh sister
sonnet (demo)
original insanity
all ways are maybes
king riff 2

if they can't work this out, I really hope it leaks!!

Nick says his cd copy of these songs has been stolen and has asked for it not to be put online. Unless it was stolen by Ashcroft's messenger pigeons, surely it will have to leak eventually? Between that and Nick sharing his rejected liner notes online, sounds like it's unhappy times in Verve land. What a shame.
heisenberg
Known user

Postby burningwheel » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:00 am

I hope someone leaks snakeskin one day, probably won't though
burningwheel
Known user

Postby Bon Ronham » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:38 pm

ARRRRRGGGGRRR!! A full show from the ASIH tour has shown up on youtube!! Shakey at best footage of mostly RA but STILL this is holy grail level footage!!

https://youtu.be/PqWJIz2-XKw
Bon Ronham
Known user

Postby niamhm » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:38 pm

heisenberg wrote:
Nick says his cd copy of these songs has been stolen and has asked for it not to be put online. Unless it was stolen by Ashcroft's messenger pigeons, surely it will have to leak eventually? Between that and Nick sharing his rejected liner notes online, sounds like it's unhappy times in Verve land. What a shame.

I took him to be being sarcastic and mischievously hinting to putting them up himself.

Ron Bonham, cheers for the tip, it`s not too exciting visually speaking but still way watchable, but the big bonus is the superb sound quality, listening just now, a right treat, shame I'm not a smoker anymore pretty sure this would be going down even more of a treat :wink:
niamhm
Known user

Postby burningwheel » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:44 pm

He said he has digital copies of the tracks. I didn't even consider he might leak them, hmmm
burningwheel
Known user

Postby angelsighs » Fri May 19, 2017 1:23 am

No idea of the context of this vid. looks like Nick turned up to a guitar shop in Manchester recently, he plays a version of A New Decade over a drum machine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snU2st0eAKk
angelsighs
Known user

Postby angelsighs » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:57 pm

the Urban Hymns tracklisting has been revealed. It's basically all the B Sides, the two extra tracks from the best of, then oodles of live material (including Haigh Hall, predictably enough).

no sign of the outtakes that Nick was talking about. I really hope they find their way onto the interweb one day :(

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Urban-Hymns-Su ... 634&sr=8-2
angelsighs
Known user

Postby niamhm » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:31 pm

Interesting to see Nick McCabe making a spirited defence against criticism of Forth on his fb page this week.
niamhm
Known user

Postby TheWarmth » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:41 pm

I'm not surprised McCabe defended Forth. He was more a part of that album than Urban Hymns. I kind of agree with him that it is unfairly derided, but I haven't listened to it in a long time. There are some good songs, for sure. It's a real shame that "Love Is Noise" was the first single and it really is not one of the album's highlights. It was a rough start for their recorded return.
TheWarmth
Known user

Postby olan » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:50 pm

Dave Caldwell and Nick McCabe have been having an interesting exchange on FB about this new reissue and also Forth.
olan
Known user

Postby angelsighs » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:56 pm

TheWarmth wrote:There are some good songs for sure, but alos some clunkers.

This about sums up my feelings on Forth too. A curate's egg of an album if ever there was one. Some great stuff but also some trash. And production is too shiny (what's with all these comeback albums and their glossy production?)

I'm disappointed that the outtakes aren't there on the Urban Hymns set but I'm just gonna enjoy it for what it is, rather than what it could have been. Just see it as a nice Verve live boxset.
To have the full Haigh Hall on DVD will be good too. Plus that Jools Holland session is gold.
angelsighs
Known user

Postby TheWarmth » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:27 pm

I went back and listened to UH for the first time in forever the other day and it felt lifeless to me. I really don't like the super glossy production and Ashcroft's sappy as fuck songwriting is coming to the fore with crap like "Sonnet". It really should have been a solo album, as he originally intended it.
TheWarmth
Known user

Postby niamhm » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:23 pm

angelsighs wrote:
TheWarmth wrote:There are some good songs for sure, but alos some clunkers.

This about sums up my feelings on Forth too. A curate's egg of an album if ever there was one. Some great stuff but also some trash. And production is too shiny (what's with all these comeback albums and their glossy production?)

I'm disappointed that the outtakes aren't there on the Urban Hymns set but I'm just gonna enjoy it for what it is, rather than what it could have been. Just see it as a nice Verve live boxset.
To have the full Haigh Hall on DVD will be good too. Plus that Jools Holland session is gold.

I`m not going to say its all that, but trash seems a bit harsh, what is it you think is trash?

Also, what`s happened with your quote from The Warmth? No mention of any clunkers in his post I can see :?
niamhm
Known user

Postby angelsighs » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:37 am

Oh that's weird. maybe The Warmth edited his post at some point. I've not been creating fake news, honest!

I think the bad songs on Forth are Rather Be, Valium Skies, I See Houses, and Noise Epic. Then there's some average songs and some brilliant ones. On the whole I'm glad they did the comeback. The gigs were good too and some of the other tracks from the era are excellent (Thaw Session, All Night Long)
angelsighs
Known user

Previous

Return to Music (Dedicated to Fuzzhead)