Ahem... Radiohead anybody???

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

Greeny
Known user

Ahem... Radiohead anybody???

Post by Greeny »

A bit surprised there's been no thread on the new LP so far!

I'm one play in so still need to give it more time to develop, but it's certainly the most 'cinematic' thing they've done, with Thom's preference for glitch electronica seemingly giving way to Johnny's love of strings.

I felt a couple of the songs could have been allowed more time to breathe, although that's never really been a Radiohead thing.

I also felt I heard a bit of late period Talk Talk in there, with space appearing between the notes.

Looking forward to more plays to really put it to the test...
BVCP206
Known user

Re: Ahem... Radiohead anybody???

Post by BVCP206 »

Always been one of those bands I thought I should like but never really have if that makes any sense :?
'Remember, change is not good'
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

BVCP206 wrote:Always been one of those bands I thought I should like but never really have if that makes any sense :?

i have many of those- stones, beatles etc

i thought radiohead had removed themselves from the internet? :wink:
“You're not Dostoevsky,' said the citizeness

'Well, who knows, who knows,' he replied.

'Dostoevsky's dead,' said the citizeness, but somehow not very confidently.

'I protest!' Behemoth exclaimed hotly. 'Dostoevsky is immortal!”
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

I think it's a great album. I've played it twice so far and think perhaps it's their best album since the Kid A/Amnesiac era, which is my favourite of their works. They've brought back the subtle melancholy of those albums, but with the themes of looking forward and the wisdom of age and experience replacingthe dread and angst of earlier albums.

Sonically it's beautiful, very glacial and sparkling. Nigel Godrich deserves recognition for making the music sound so vibrant and cinematic (as greeny described it). Thom's voice hasn't been this clear and upfront in years. He's probably not going to admit it, but the songs seem to address separation from someone or something, and maybe finding new life outside of that? A mix of loneliness, fear and positivity sitting alongside one another.

The band sound like they're having fun, too. Seems Ed is playing more guitar as Jonny is all over the strings and piano, and the rhythm section is as tight as ever (Colin's bass is always overlooked, I feel). I was never a huge fan of True Love Waits, but this arrangement is by far the best version I've heard and just enhances the song. It used to be strummed acoustic guitar and a tad too overwrought for my taste. Now it's gentle and more damaged, with the despair and lonely aspects serving as a subtle and affecting undercurrent to the calming numbness of the arrangement. Magic.

Between this album, the rejected James Bond song 'Spectre', and the music videos they've recently released (I especially loved the Daydreaming video), I think Radiohead are on fire at the moment. I'll be interested to see what their new setlist is like.

And thanks for starting this thread. I might've done it myself, but I don't think Radiohead have much fans here.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I love it, too. In reading the comments online, I didn't realize that so many people absolutely hate The King of Limbs and are hailing this one as a return to form. I will say that Moon is probably better than TKOL, but I've only been able to listen through a few times. Obviously, Jonny's orchestral arrangements are front and center on a number of tracks, which is great. I love all the strings and they've toned down the electronics a bit, which should please the multitudes of people who insist on griping about "laptop sound" and "bleeps and blips".
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

TheWarmth wrote:I love it, too. In reading the comments online, I didn't realize that so many people absolutely hate The King of Limbs and are hailing this one as a return to form. I will say that Moon is probably better than TKOL, but I've only been able to listen through a few times. Obviously, Jonny's orchestral arrangements are front and center on a number of tracks, which is great. I love all the strings and they've toned down the electronics a bit, which should please the multitudes of people who insist on griping about "laptop sound" and "bleeps and blips".
A lot of people do seem to dislike The King of Limbs. But I like the fact that the album was a change for Radiohead in that it was more based on jamming and samples, and shied away from much of what they had done before. I can imagine people mostly had trouble with the length, some of the more indulgent aspects of the early tracks, and the fact it was generally understated by Radiohead standards- it was released in a fairly subtle manner, there's no massive 'rock' or ballad-type songs, and overall there is very little sense of the urgency that normally runs throughout their albums. It is the anomaly of their catalogue, but one I enjoy a lot. I especially love Codex through to Separator, such a pretty and uplifting trio of songs. I definitely prefer TKOL to Hail to the Thief and Pablo Honey. Perhaps people were expecting another In Rainbows?

I really love the choral sounds on A Moon Shaped Pool, and how they meld with the string arrangements. Also, I detect a Neil Young influence in some of the songwriting, too. Overall, it's a nice mix. I wonder what two songs will be on the special edition that's to be released in September.
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

I've only listened to it twice but I love it. When I heard 'Spectre' I was hoping it was a hint of what was to come and I feel like that hope has been fulfilled in spades. I love this arrangement of 'True Love Waits' and all of the strings mesh beautifully with the electronics. I've always loved Johnny's way with string arrangements since 'How to Disappear Completely.'

I was one of the people who was initially baffled by 'The King of Limbs,' but it just took some time to get used to and now it's an album of theirs I go back to repeatedly. One thing I miss from it is Colin and Phil's playing- it's not as present on the tracks on '...Moon.' It helped a lot listening to TKOL songs on the 'Live From the Basement' set.

I wish Radiohead were playing an actual show in Chicago besides their Lollapalooza headlining slot. I haven't seen them live since 2001 and it might be nice to hear what they do with these songs live.
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

I'm still actively digesting it, but my initial impressions are very positive indeed. 'Fragile beauty' is the cliche that springs instantly to mind.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Initial listen last week, on a glorious sunny day outside with refreshments - I think it's great.

"Fragile Beauty" - nailed it MC!

This reminds me that I really need to re-listen to The King Of Limbs at some point - can't find the copy at the moment... the joys of having at least 50% of physical recordings boxed away in various locations.

I liked it upon release - seems like a lifetime ago - but have all but forgotten the music.

Anyway this new thing reminds me of In Rainbows - which is the only thing they've done I really like, with a shout to 'Pyramid Song'...

They've released a ridiculously limited 7" (for a band of their stature) of 'Burn The Witch' with the alternative Bond theme.

Anybody here manage to pick one up? Not heard 'Spectre' but it's gotta be better than that godawful Sam Smith song... :wink:
O P 8
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

BzaInSpace wrote:Not heard 'Spectre' but it's gotta be better than that godawful Sam Smith song... :wink:
it's quite fantastic! haven't heard the sam smith song, but... i'd imagine yes.

it was up on their soundcloud page for free, but has since been deleted. i'll PM you a link to a download of it, though, if you want to hear it.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Cheers!
O P 8
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

i've been listening to them recently (not really a fan- the odds bits n pieces here n there) and it seems (to me) that they have the two songs which 'define' the begining and end of the '90s' in the bends (i wish it was the 60s i wish i could be happy) and then ending with no surprises
“You're not Dostoevsky,' said the citizeness

'Well, who knows, who knows,' he replied.

'Dostoevsky's dead,' said the citizeness, but somehow not very confidently.

'I protest!' Behemoth exclaimed hotly. 'Dostoevsky is immortal!”
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

I finally got round to this.
Found it rather lacking. Some moments when they find that soupy atmospheric groove they hit the spot but a lot of it falls off well before then.

I think the first half is mostly superb. I've always thought Colin belonged in that lineage/tradition of great English, or even British, bassists & again I think for me the connection is strongest when he's navigating the rhythm. This mood hits a full stop rather abruptly on Glass Eyes which really kills the momentum. Identikit, one of the more conventional songs on there & one of strongest tunes for me, goes some way towards addressing the collapse replete with the shocking surprise of a guitar solo outro (how's that for conventional?). But then the rest of the album drifts towards a sloooow conclusion with not much in the way of energy.

The true love waits thing is really peculiar. This song is ancient & now, typically, robbed of whatever tunefulness it had. & in all the intervening years he's never went back to the lyrics which is really weird.
I'd heard and loved this song from 2001 or so, before it appeared on imbw (I caught it live that tour that imbw was eventually recorded on I think), and was really looking forward to it thinking I was going to get a showstopper. I was left decidedly underwhelmed, motion picture soundtrack it ain't.

I don't mean to dismiss it. There are a lot of really sublime ideas even if there aren't many tunes.. & tucked away not too far is that anger & passion.. So.. A typical radiohead album I guess!
gonna burn brightly
for a while