The Stone Roses - new single tonight!

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

BzaInSpace
Site Admin

The Stone Roses - new single tonight!

Post by BzaInSpace »

Or actually within the hour at 20.00 BST, according to twitter.

I'm pretty excited by this - over 22 years ago 'Love Spreads' was released which was my introduction to them (and makes me feel terribly old).

Also going to see them in Dublin in July which if the weather holds should be amazing...

Thoughts?
O P 8
angelsighs
Known user

Re: The Stone Roses - new single tonight!

Post by angelsighs »

kinda excited but also worried it might be crap.

I'm one of those weird people who really likes Second Coming so I think they've got a really consistent discography, don't want them to piss over the legacy.

i'd love it to be funky and groovy and mature

would also be nice if they announced live shows that weren't in enormo stadiums
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Me too regarding the smaller shows. At least this park in Dublin should be ace just for the atmosphere alone.

You ain't weird for really liking Second Coming : I like it better than the first which is blasphemy in some parts but again - it's where you came in right?

A pal suggested it could be "shimmering psych pop", Ian Brown says their new music is "glorious"

Down with that... however unlikely as it is I would love them to come back with a truly epic 10 minute space odyssey thing.

Half an hour to go...
O P 8
mkb
Known user

Post by mkb »

It's about to be played on Radio 1
mkb
Known user

Post by mkb »

Well that was awful, and I quite like Second Coming. Horrible guitar riff, and what sounded like a completely half-arsed lyric.

Maybe it'll grow on me if I hear a better quality version, couldn't really hear what Mani was doing there.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Wasn`t on the edge off my seat by any stretch, but that was, unimpressive, is it produced by Paul Epworth? It sounds terrible, like a well produced demo, loud guitar riff, best thing about it is the solo, half formed lyrics, far distance bass, and is that really Reni doing that meat an two potato drumming? Dreadful.

A riff, a bad chorus, slightly better descending verse, lyrics begging for parody and terrible production , probably go down a storm, what do I know.

I will just throw in though that I remember Love Spreads being met with genuine disappointment an bewilderment when it first appeared, but eventually going on to be appreciated for what it is, this is brutal though, can`t see that happening for this tune.
Last edited by niamhm on Fri May 13, 2016 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

yep its really poor. listened to it 3 times. it has none of the elements that made them special. I thought they were a step above Britpop, yet this is pure Britpop.
niamhm wrote:best thing about it is the solo .
totally agree. the solo is pretty tasty, to be fair to Johnny Squire.
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

Post by Stuart X.Hunter »

Makes Ashcroft new tune sound good ha

What a load of diarrhoea

If Lee Mavers is reading; just don't ok...don't
Shoulders back, smash it
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

I quite like it, sounds alright loud through my headphones. Probs better quality as official product. Agree about the lyrics but not too fussed. Looking fwd to hearing the rest.
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Dont know what I think about it, yes its catchy etc and the guitar is alright, just seems wrong though. (lyrics are shocking)

Should of left it as finished business personally speaking.

I love Second Coming as well, that tour was unreal they were on fire then,

Wouldn't watch them now though. Both the world and I have moved on
rameses
Known user

Post by rameses »

What a pile of crap!

I'm so glad I sold my tickets for stadium tour, going to see Neil Young instead.
It's nice to be liked,
But it's better by far to get paid.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

You guys....

It made a beautiful day even better for me.

Sure - I'd prefer the production style John Leckie got on their last album but whatever.

Positivity-filled anthemic shit is good at the moment!
O P 8
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

I like it — the whole family listened to it this morning and it put us in a great mood.

Looking forward to the gig in Manchester and hopefully another single.

M
Design.
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

cantona
Known user

Post by cantona »

Very bad.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

each to their own and all that I guess..

nothing wrong with a happy song with a positive message. could be just the ticket in these times. but it needs to have substance too.

it's not even the lyrics I have a problem with- never gone to Ian for deep sentiments. it's just that the music really isn't up to the Roses standards. they get one of the greatest rhythm sections this isle has ever seen, then make them plod along. it's just so cookie cutter and insubstantial
imagine if any other band than the Roses released this...
stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham »

It's like a Seahorses b-side.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

More like wanna be anthem...

Sing alongs at gigs suck too, I pay to hear a band, not the audience
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

I really hoped for more from this. I think upon second or third listen it's not as bad as the first time, but I still don't think it's truly representative of what they can do. Which leads me to think the album will hopefully have better stuff on it. I have to say, I don't envy them having to live up to that legacy and expectation.
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

o come on! it's not like they've had 20 years to write a good song!
“You're not Dostoevsky,' said the citizeness

'Well, who knows, who knows,' he replied.

'Dostoevsky's dead,' said the citizeness, but somehow not very confidently.

'I protest!' Behemoth exclaimed hotly. 'Dostoevsky is immortal!”
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

They've had plenty of time to do better than this since they reformed
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

burningwheel wrote:They've had plenty of time to do better than this since they reformed

Exactly - I was watching Made of Stone recently, and had forgotten the comment John Squire made at the press conference about the band reforming immediately after he'd started writing again with Ian Brown. Also the backboard shown during their early rehearsals had "newie" written in a few places. Yet there wasn't any new music in the concert footage, and like so many other pertinent questions arising from material in the film - Shane Meadows made no effort whatsoever to address it; whilst the concert footage was interesting, the film was essentially a hagiography from an over-enthusiastic fan who didn't have the balls to challenge his subject in any meaningful way.

I cringed at the the title of the new track, but never expected the lyrics to be so dreadfully vapid, uninspired and clichéd! The guitar riff sounded good, but then it just repeated ad nauseam. The bass was hard to hear, but it didn't sound anything like the anthemic style that made Mani's contributions to original Roses songs so impressive.

Whilst I concede it has its faults, I too am a Second Coming fan. I expected the new track to at least sound like one of John Squire's laboured Led Zep type layered guitar numbers, where impressive guitars go some way to make up for the lack of substantive tunefulness. Instead it sounded like a lightweight landfill '90s indie anthem, with one decent guitar riff, processed for crappy FM radio broadcast.

If that's the best they've recorded - how good is the rest likely to be?
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

burningwheel wrote:They've had plenty of time to do better than this since they reformed
i was being ironic :wink:
“You're not Dostoevsky,' said the citizeness

'Well, who knows, who knows,' he replied.

'Dostoevsky's dead,' said the citizeness, but somehow not very confidently.

'I protest!' Behemoth exclaimed hotly. 'Dostoevsky is immortal!”
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Well I enjoyed it. Made me feel good like the best pop music should. The expectations were always probably far too much but I look forward to hearing the album and seeing them play at last in hopefully a summery day in Dublin.

I suspect their debut album wouldn't even be in my top 100 records of all time - in fact it's definitely not :lol: - but the Second Coming might just edge in. So I'm in no way a die-hard or a super fan, but christ: This thread is depressing.
O P 8
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

don't let the thread get you down, it was never going to be Fools Gold or Love Spreads. It sounds like the 4 dudes having a laugh to me, wouldn't be surprised if they tossed this off a few weeks ago. I still have high hopes for the album. Don't mind this tune but wonder how many times i'll actually choose to listen to it though.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

so we're not allowed to be disappointed by a band we hold in high regard? it's just my honest opinion. if this came from Kula Shaker or Cast I'd be taking the piss, so I have to be honest about it.

so this was either the best they could come up with.
or it was tossed off as a laugh.

either is depressing.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

angelsighs wrote:..so we're not allowed to be disappointed by a band we hold in high regard? ...
Whats with the "allowed" thing? I'm sure you and whoever else are "allowed" to think what you like, comment is free, but I'm entitled to an opinion too, despite not agreeing with most of the comment on the thread...

:roll:
O P 8
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

fair point Bza- prob wrong way to word it.
I am glad some of you are enjoying it. I really wish I was.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

angelsighs wrote:so we're not allowed to be disappointed by a band we hold in high regard? it's just my honest opinion. if this came from Kula Shaker or Cast I'd be taking the piss, so I have to be honest about it.

so this was either the best they could come up with.
or it was tossed off as a laugh.

either is depressing.
I quite agree. The only remotely impressive part of this track was the main guitar riff, which then was just repeated rather than going anywhere interesting.

It sounds like a lightweight pop tune from some lightweight indie band, the sort of thing you expect to hear on Radio 1's playlist (unless that's changed drastically, can't say I've listened to R1 in over 10 years). The production is far too sparkly and shiny, the bass is lost in the mix, there's no dynamics and the lyrics are absolutely dire.

If the good name of The Stone Roses wasn't attached to it - no one would even be listening.
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham »

Sounds like the Icicle Work's High Time:

natty
Known user

Post by natty »

Another new single tonight, "Beautiful Thing". Hope this one doesn't sound like a fucking Pigeon Detectives b-side.
mkb
Known user

Post by mkb »

https://youtu.be/lCk34IVVgcc

It's a hell of a lot better than the first single, good to hear Reni back to the forefront of the sound.
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

Sounds like a different band. Actually sounds a bit like the stone roses. Much better.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Certainly got a bit more of that old Stone Roses swagger/groove thing going on. Still a bit ploddy for me but fair play to them for putting new music out there....I for one never thought it would happen.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

Much better. Proper tune, that.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

nothing amazing on first listen but a vast step in the right direction and much more like what I wanted! will keep listening (which I had no desire to do with All For One)
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Yeah, man, this song is great. Really digging in. Sweet Squire licks. Fat Roses groove. I'm down.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Loving the Clapton influence.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

lol at the Clapton comment

This sounds more like an Ian Brown solo song, as opposed to All For One which sounded like a solo John Squire song (ie Seahorses). I'm not complaining, but maybe it's showing how hard it is to truly recapture chemistry when it comes to writing new songs. both of the newies sound like solo efforts with the other members bolted on a bit.
playing live shows is another matter (I've not seen them but the footage I've seen of the comeback shows sounded like they were on form), but yeah, recapturing that true creative magic for writing new stuff.. tricky.

It did make me remember that Ian Brown has done some great solo tunes. any other fans here? Unfinished Monkey Business is a really good album- melodic but dark and subtly menacing. nice lofi sound. My Star and Corpses are great singles and Can't See Me is like the great lost Roses song- what a groove.
F.E.A.R was a corker too.
Hedspace
Known user

Post by Hedspace »

this is exactly that Stone Roses exquisite groove I was hoping for.

anyone hear the backward lyric
This shall be the last for Stone Roses?
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

angelsighs wrote:lol at the Clapton comment

This sounds more like an Ian Brown solo song, as opposed to All For One which sounded like a solo John Squire song (ie Seahorses). I'm not complaining, but maybe it's showing how hard it is to truly recapture chemistry when it comes to writing new songs. both of the newies sound like solo efforts with the other members bolted on a bit.
playing live shows is another matter (I've not seen them but the footage I've seen of the comeback shows sounded like they were on form), but yeah, recapturing that true creative magic for writing new stuff.. tricky.

It did make me remember that Ian Brown has done some great solo tunes. any other fans here? Unfinished Monkey Business is a really good album- melodic but dark and subtly menacing. nice lofi sound. My Star and Corpses are great singles and Can't See Me is like the great lost Roses song- what a groove.
F.E.A.R was a corker too.

I saw them 3rd night at Heaton Park. it was a magical day and yes, they probably sounded better than they did in their previous life. apparently they played Begging You in Halifax the other night.

i think the first 3 Ian Brown albums are really good. yeah some top tunes especially Music Of The Spheres which has quite a 'mature' set of songs.
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

I saw him a few time solo, generally he was awful. The albums were ok, but I didnt listen to them much, binned them all now (literally as they ain't worth a carrot)
New Roses tune is quite good if I'm honest, nice groove
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I saw him live a couple of times too- a bit shoddy live, no question. However his fanbase seemed to be made up of LADS who thought he was a 'legend' who can do no wrong. he could have sang Twinkle Twinkle Little Star and they would have lapped it up.
There's some dross in his solo career but some great tunes too, across all the albums. To his credit he seemed to like mixing his sound up a bit with different elements (electronics, mariachi horns, strings..), even it if often came out not so good.

The Seahorses had catchy melodies and tasty guitar playing but also the depth of a puddle and awful lyrics.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I'm assuming there's an album on the way soon. Thing is, with these two songs, I have no idea if it's going to be great or terrible. I suppose it'll probably be somewhere in the middle. I'm definitely curious.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

natty wrote:Another new single tonight, "Beautiful Thing". Hope this one doesn't sound like a fucking Pigeon Detectives b-side.
:shock:

But imagine it sounded like EMF...

"What would you think?"
O P 8
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

burningwheel wrote:More like wanna be anthem...

Sing alongs at gigs suck too, I pay to hear a band, not the audience
Hey! Any chance of an invite to your Primal Scream board? I asked via PM which I know you read...
O P 8
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

mkb wrote:https://youtu.be/lCk34IVVgcc

It's a hell of a lot better than the first single, good to hear Reni back to the forefront of the sound.
Where is the bass guitar?
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

early Paul Schroeder mixes of Second Coming material have leaked.. not listened yet but I am lead to believe some are rather different to the final thing..

http://www.megafileupload.com/b85l/Schroeder_Mixes.rar
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

angelsighs wrote:early Paul Schroeder mixes of Second Coming material have leaked.. not listened yet but I am lead to believe some are rather different to the final thing..

wow. Only one song in and it sounds so far superior to the actual release. More subtelty, texture, less bombast. It actually sounds like the same band that recorded the first album, rather than a completely different outfit.

Thanks for sharing. What is the story behind this? How come this mix was ditched?
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

angelsighs wrote:early Paul Schroeder mixes of Second Coming material have leaked.. not listened yet but I am lead to believe some are rather different to the final thing..

cool, thank you for these. some of them sound like basic tracks before being drenched in multiple guitar overdubs and others sound like demos. interesting nonetheless. Driving South sounds great with proper drum rolls n stuff. quite like the stripped down Love Spreads.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

clewsr wrote:What is the story behind this? How come this mix was ditched?
"Cocaine is the devil" - Ian Brown

Can't wait to here this - particularly as I've been mainlining Second Coming over the last week, sounding great 22 years later and probably not heard in about 10 years!
O P 8
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

seems like a fine time for this: (until 4:24 where it turns into something else)

i've got a lot of love for Brownie and especially (as people have already mentioned) the music of the spheres album, which is fantastic. i'm also definitely a big fan of the second coming...at least as much as of the first album. but i can see where things went wrong..
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

clewsr wrote: wow. Only one song in and it sounds so far superior to the actual release. More subtelty, texture, less bombast. It actually sounds like the same band that recorded the first album, rather than a completely different outfit.

Thanks for sharing. What is the story behind this? How come this mix was ditched?
don't know the whole story behind these recordings, but I know that the recording of Second Coming was a long drawn out affair so presumably these were some preliminary mixes (I think perhaps before another producer came in).

I actually think Second Coming sounds great as it is- perhaps needing a bit more air and space between the instruments, and probably too many overdubs. but nice and meaty and much punchier than the first album. you can almost hear the long hours that went into the recording- in that sense I'd compare it to There's a Riot Going On. they are both quite dark albums too.

not had a chance to listen yet.. but some of the comments here are sounding promising.
plastic37
Known user

Post by plastic37 »

While i have not read the whole thread i did notice that someone has brought Squid Law by The Fall to your attention.
To which i would add that the findering pattern (position) of the riff is also the same as Rescue by Echo & The Bunnymen.
I know this becasue i was in a band that recorded a cover of Squid Law.
So it really made me laugh remembering all that time spent working out Stone Roses riff and then, the new single comes out, and, I already know the riff - backwards.

So it inspired me to make a video for my band's version of Squid Law which some f you might like - as you will hear - it is very Spacemen. It was recorded before Lazer Guided Melodies was released.
Heavy Tourism