ATP Closes for good

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

olan
Known user

ATP Closes for good

Post by olan »

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2016/ ... es-closure

Not exactly a surprise. I hope nobody here has lost out because of this, particularly in terms of flights to Iceland.
angelsighs
Known user

Re: ATP Closes for good

Post by angelsighs »

as you say, not a surprise at all.

its a shame it didn't happen years ago in a way- when their reputation was still intact. now their legacy has been marred by the shady and messy events of the past few years.

still, some of the best festival lineups I've ever seen.. my experience as a punter has always been great in terms of the actual music. its almost like the swan- where it looks graceful on the surface but underneath the legs are going crazy keeping it afloat :)
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

I had very little contact with ATP; just purchases, but some were fantastic; and to be fair, at least at the period I dealt with them, I received great service along with "extras". But I did notice that over time, they seemed to be going downhill in other ways that were simply "news" to me, not experience.

ATP was one of those types of entities that depended upon their own staff to excel, and the artists to do "all they can", AND to have a loyal and consistent buying public - at least from their store to help provide a backdrop of cash.

If I were asked to "invest" in something like ATP, I'd ask myself "what can I afford to lose", and is this a plus for tax time? I wouldn't even consider PROFIT; accidents happen, but over time, there are simply too many things that can go wrong.

At least I can say "they were very good and helpful to me" at a particular time in their History; but those of you who were much closer, will likely have a clearer view, "a longer look", you are likely to have a very different point of view, and this makes sense to me. It is too bad for ATP, and for all those who benefitted in any way from what ATP provided.

I am reminded of a "micro scale" example w/ "Little Mafia Records"; the bands were good - but often lazy; their 2 managers worked very hard, but after several bands were "late once again", and the purchase-by-mail of their music suffered because of it, the lone remaining manager said "goodbye", and a very interesting family of bands simply disintegrated; it was in a simplistic way what I imagine here. It was unfortunate.
"Everything is a Poison; it is the amount or degree that separates one Poison from another"
Paracelsus
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I'm sure it was messy and difficult to run festivals and a record label with what I assume is a small team.

They should have given up a few years ago before they started damaging the brand so much.
I'm not sure how the whole thing works but I know that promoting gigs is a bit of a gamble- but it should never be the punters who lose out financially- it should always be the promoter. I'm hearing stories that some people still haven't got their money back from various past events that were cancelled.

can some other promoter jump into the breach now and provide a better service to the same audience?