We can elevate you to a very fine state of mind

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

sunny
Site Admin

We can elevate you to a very fine state of mind

Post by sunny »

Hello everyone! It's been a while... sorry about that. :D

This has probably been posted already, but just in case;

Primal Scream and Spiritualized's Jason Pierce Cover S'Express's "Mantra for a State of Mind:"
http://pitchfork.com/news/64801-primal- ... nd-listen/
'Come and rock and roll me over, Let's get this damn job over.'
MODLAB
Site Admin

Re: We can elevate you to a very fine state of mind

Post by MODLAB »

:)
Design.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

I thought it was an odd track to cover. Also thought there was something wrong with Pitchfork crediting S Express as a notable "house music" act. I only remember them from Top of the Pops, rather than R1 Essential Mix or similar.

However using guitars for much of the instrumentation really worked, and the rock'n'roll production suited this re-working to make a great sound. As with many original house lyrics (as opposed to samples) from the period, the words sound pretty naff - at least away from the enthusiasm of a pilled-up dancefloor, but thankfully Bobby G's voice sounds in fine form - much better than the original.

I vaguely recall reading about this when the RSD release was announced on here, but I never got around to listening. I'm glad I did now. On paper it really doesn't sound like anything worthwhile, but strangely it's turned out rather impressive!

I tried Google but couldn't find out any info such as production credits etc. Does the vinyl have any details about personnel and so forth? I'm curious whether Jason did some production, as the vibe generally sounded more like (good) Scream than Spaceman. Also it would be nice to know if there are any familiar names amongst the musicians, alongside Jason and Bobby. Is the vinyl reasonably priced on Discogs or Fleabay, or has it turned into one of those rare and expensive RSD items?

Thanks very much for posting the link! Plus thanks in advance for any answers to the above :)
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

MODLAB wrote::)
I agree. This actually reminds me of that all around the world only one person can be online in the internet at once. George Orwell should have predict that.
mkb
Known user

Post by mkb »

mojo filters wrote:Is the vinyl reasonably priced on Discogs or Fleabay, or has it turned into one of those rare and expensive RSD items?

The Primal Scream online store has the 12" available: http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/chaosmosis

The vinyl details the personnel involved, but I don't have it to hand to check. From memory this track was just the current Primal Scream live lineup plus J Spaceman, can't remember what it said about production.
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

mojo filters wrote:I thought it was an odd track to cover. Also thought there was something wrong with Pitchfork crediting S Express as a notable "house music" act. I only remember them from Top of the Pops, rather than R1 Essential Mix or similar.

However using guitars for much of the instrumentation really worked, and the rock'n'roll production suited this re-working to make a great sound. As with many original house lyrics (as opposed to samples) from the period, the words sound pretty naff - at least away from the enthusiasm of a pilled-up dancefloor, but thankfully Bobby G's voice sounds in fine form - much better than the original.

I vaguely recall reading about this when the RSD release was announced on here, but I never got around to listening. I'm glad I did now. On paper it really doesn't sound like anything worthwhile, but strangely it's turned out rather impressive!

I tried Google but couldn't find out any info such as production credits etc. Does the vinyl have any details about personnel and so forth? I'm curious whether Jason did some production, as the vibe generally sounded more like (good) Scream than Spaceman. Also it would be nice to know if there are any familiar names amongst the musicians, alongside Jason and Bobby. Is the vinyl reasonably priced on Discogs or Fleabay, or has it turned into one of those rare and expensive RSD items?

Thanks very much for posting the link! Plus thanks in advance for any answers to the above :)
I'll see if I can find out some more details. I agree with you, the cover really works!
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

mojo filters wrote:I thought it was an odd track to cover. Also thought there was something wrong with Pitchfork crediting S Express as a notable "house music" act. I only remember them from Top of the Pops, rather than R1 Essential Mix or similar.

Here are the details according to Discogs;

Mantra For A State Of Mind
Backing Vocals – Naomi Osbourne
Bass – Simone Butler
Drums – Darrin Mooney
Guitar – Jason Pierce
Mixed By – Lasse Mårtén
Organ – Martin Duffy
Producer – Björn Yttling
Producer, Engineer, Guitar, Synthesizer – Andrew Innes
Producer, Vocals – Bobby Gillespie
Written-By – Mark Moore
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Good to see you back Sunny...

Check out the initial post here with all the pre-excitement and such... for myself at least this track was well worth the hype!

You can still buy a copy of the 12" direct from the Scream for £12 including postage... the b-side is well worth hearing also!
O P 8