Bunny Racket

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

spzretent
Site Admin

Bunny Racket

Post by spzretent »

Runcible & I are part of a vinyl release for a childrens web series called Bunny Racket.
This is a kids(and adults) punk rock record.
Really pleased about this as Robby Krieger from The Doors and Brant Bjork from Kyuss and FuManchu are playing on this album.
Sam Cutler- legendary tour manager for the Rolling Stones and the Grateful Dead is also involved.
The creator is Andy Walker.
It will be out hopefully sometime in October in a deluxe gatefold sleeve on colored vinyl.
Limited to 500 worldwide with 100 going to Australia, 200 in the UK and 200 in the US.
Here is a 4 minute video for the Kickstarter campaign that started today.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bu ... s-for-kids
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
runcible
Site Admin

Re: Bunny Racket

Post by runcible »

Chiming in late here...

The point of this idea is that there seemed to be no decent music around that crosses the generation gap. Music made for kids is pretty rubbish generally - often too whimsical or sentimental. Andy Walker has a heavy rock band called Forte who have played loads in Australia. They supported Monster Magnet in their last Australian tour. Andy knows loads of rock 'n' rollers & they have come together for Bunny Racket. I can't recall anyone since stuff like The Banana Splits doing anything even vaguely similar.

Noisy & fun punk rock for kids was too much to resist for us. And with the line up that name checks The Doors & Kyuss this project has some pedigree & there's already some momentum building. It's cool to be part of it!

As King Bunny says 'It's on for young and old'...
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

Loving the sound of this project. This is definitively going on my 'to back' list.
'Come and rock and roll me over, Let's get this damn job over.'
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

Best do it before I forget... Done! :D
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Thanks for your support Sunny - I think this is a great project...!
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

runcible wrote:Thanks for your support Sunny - I think this is a great project...!
I'm loving everything about it!
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

I think it is a very good idea. I grew up with cartoons backed by primarily Classical Music, which I enjoy, but the horrible Smurfs and a boatload of awful stuff I can't even name is terrible. I have collected Children's Recordings going back to the Age of the Cylinder; and through the 78rpm Shellac and newer materials to Modern Vinyl and Picture Discs. Some of the best I've heard were from the 1910-1920 and the 1940's. (Most of it I have never heard - so my "analysis" is skewed by omission).

This (must be by default) better than anything else out there; although 3 years ago I saw a nice set of (originally) 78rpm-6" discs as a set now on 7" 45rpm discs. The box was damaged so I passed.

Great Idea and I'll shake the couch for the cause!
"Everything is a Poison; it is the amount or degree that separates one Poison from another"
Paracelsus
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

The Kickstarter campaign for this project completed a month ago and the target was hit very nicely. It's pretty exciting as this is an area - i.e. rock 'n' roll for kids - that hasn't been explored properly since the days of stuff like The Banana Splits. But I don't think the Splits had members of The Doors and Kyuss as part of the line up! Bunny Racket has all that and more...

If anyone is interested in this there are now copies available through the US and UK Dock Ellis Records web site.. 500 only, gatefold, red vinyl, baseball card insert.

In the USA:
http://dockellisrecords.bigcartel.com/

In the UK:
http://dockellisrecordsuk.bigcartel.com/
rameses
Known user

Post by rameses »

Nice pic from Jumbo Records.
It's nice to be liked,
But it's better by far to get paid.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

rameses wrote:Nice pic from Jumbo Records.
Erk!
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I did a big interview with King Bunny before Christmas and only just finished the editing. Here it is if anyone is interested. King Bunny has been in California working with Robby Krieger and Brant Bjorkagain, but he's also brought it the muscle of Ed Mundell, once lead guitarist in Monster Magnet. Respect!

https://dockellisrecords.wordpress.com/ ... ny-racket/
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

I received my very own Bunny Racket LP, with Gatefold Cover and lovely Deep Pinkish Vinyl & card. I love kids records, and have collected them for ages. Most of those I purchased new have stayed sealed; and although I have not been able to listen to the Wabbit, it makes a great addition to the collection. I must have well over 100 assorted discs; and cylinders, etc., most from 4" on, almost always in colored media, usually yellow for some reason - even the 78rpm discs of all sizes. The smallest is a 2" set of 10 discs with their own player designed of course for these discs only. I found an exception, however. You may have seen the film "Toys"; and as the old toymaker is lowered down, a laughing box is activated. The box that houses that 2" clear disc will play on this tiny set from the late 1950's. The "flip side" of the Laughing are Birds singing!

This Bunny LP has a remarkable lineup, and if I had little ones at home, I'd play it for them; but since I hope that I never QUITE grow up, I'll have to give it a listen myself.

One obvious point that is clear when I looked through the Children's Section, is how often an "old standard" was repeated. A new disc rarely seems to come along in a given decade! Unless you count Disney. So whether you have little ones or not, there is a great lineup for an addition to your library; so I hope you will indulge a little and add this piece to your collections. I wish that I was able to give it a listen, but that will come in time. This was obviously a labor of love, or perhaps an excuse to wear a giant Bunny Suit. But, either way, I like the Idea of it.
"Everything is a Poison; it is the amount or degree that separates one Poison from another"
Paracelsus