Wilco " Schmilco "

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

spacemanrich
Known user

Wilco " Schmilco "

Post by spacemanrich »

Didn't know that they released a new album, " Schmilco " last Thursday ? TheWarmth, did you pick this up yet ? Is it any good ? Their last 2 albums or so had been shite.
TheWarmth
Known user

Re: Wilco " Schmilco "

Post by TheWarmth »

I do intend to check it out, but I haven't yet and I won't blindly buy it, as I haven't really enjoyed a Wilco album all the way through since the Kicking Television live album. IMO, A Ghost Is Born is their masterpiece and every studio album that's followed has ranged from patchy to outright dull.

As a side note, I'm a big Joan Cornella fan and it's nice to see him getting publicity via the cover art.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Thanks for the info TheWarmth. Yeah, I know what you mean about buying an album on the fly based upon previous albums and/or like for the band. I like Yankee Foxtrot Hotel, A Ghost Is Born and Sky Blue Sky. After that, I didn't care for Wilco (the album) nor Star Wars. At least Star Wars was a free download...
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I like a few of the choice tracks from Sky Blue Sky, but overall found it disappointing. I feel like Nels Cline hasn't had a chance to really shine on much of their studio output, which is disappointing.

I have a buddy that promised to give me his Schmilco download card when his LP arrives, so I'll report back after I've had time to give it a few listens.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

not had a listen to this yet but the songs they released previewing it left me totally cold. I'd kinda forgot Star Wars existed too..

they used to be a contender for one of my favourite bands, but I've not really properly enjoyed an album since Sky Blue Sky (which I will always defend- yeah it's quite cosy but there's still some great band interplay going on, unlike the later stuff where it just sounds like Jeff Tweedy plus session musicians).

the new stuff just sounds so.. and I hate to use this word.. meh.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

This album is boring. Really boring. "Jeff Tweedy plus session musicians" pretty much sums it up.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

One of the most boring albums I've ever listened all the way through. The Whole Love was a super album, but the last 2 have been baaaaaaaad. Shame because I love Wilco!
bltkmt
New user

Post by bltkmt »

^ I gotta agree with this - very boring to my ears. As was said on another site I belong to, it is just a bunch of Jeff ditties - no real depth here or even interesting guitar work.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

yeah boring is the word isn't it? what happened. so many great musicians in this band and once upon a time they were kicking out great album after great album... then this.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Still can't get into it AT ALL
jb
Known user

Post by jb »

Used to love Wilco...but not bought an album since Sky Blue Sky which was ok.

They now just feel like another 'big' rock band...dull and pretentious.

Still this thread has persuaded me to listen to A Ghost is Born for the first time in ages - had forgotten how great it is. And how amazing Jeff's guitar work is too. Shame he seems to play less lead under the expanded line up...
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I'd agree that they've become dull, but if anything I think they need to be more pretentious at this point. they seem to have slipped into a comfortable rut of pretty boring rock music. where did the ambition go.

is the 'Tweedy' album any good that Jeff did with his son? some were saying that was a bit of a throwback to the A Ghost is Born sound.

still thinking of seeng them live later in the year.. they've fallen into that classic rock band trap of 'the albums are a bit naff these days, but still a great live act'!