RIP Eddie Harsch

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

runcible
Site Admin

RIP Eddie Harsch

Post by runcible »

I just heard that ex-Black Crowes keyboard player Eddie Harsch has died. This is pretty devastating news, particularly after Rich Robinson announced so recently that he was putting together a new band - Magpie Salute - with Eddie in the line up.

He was a phenomenal player and appeared on all the great Crowes albums and his sound and style were integral to those records. The Crowes always made sure keys were as important as anything else so I for one am gutted.

Roll on next year before 2016 takes away anymore of our heroes. Shit.
Bon Ronham
Known user

Re: RIP Eddie Harsch

Post by Bon Ronham »

Hey just wanted to thank you SO f'in much for posting this; I likely would have never found out about his passing. I cannot express how much this man taught the Crowes and thought them myself about music. Tension and release to perfection. Thanks for posting.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Hey - sorry your post got lost there. Slipped us mods for some reason.

Thanks for your message. I was really sad when I read of Eddie's death and I'm glad others have the same respect I do. Cheers dude!
SpaceLine
Known user

Post by SpaceLine »

Descending is one of my favorite songs. Ever.
Bon Ronham
Known user

Post by Bon Ronham »

They just finished up 3 nights in NYC and man the set lists are right up there with the very best the Crowes did back in their prime years with Feathers and Tied up & Swallowed showing up, hoping they keep Marc around until they get here to Texas. They've got a London date in April and if anyone can make GO bc Marc Fuckin' Ford alone is worth it, IMO him playing those songs tho....oooh oui!! :shock:
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Yup. Can't wait for that London date - planning a trip to the big smoke for the first time in 2 years - it takes a lot to drag me back to that hellhole nowadays!

Here's the detail:
http://themagpiesalute.com/
Bon Ronham
Known user

Post by Bon Ronham »

runcible wrote:Yup. Can't wait for that London date - planning a trip to the big smoke for the first time in 2 years - it takes a lot to drag me back to that hellhole nowadays!

Here's the detail:
http://themagpiesalute.com/

Fuck yeah man, glad you're going! It's a different groove without Big Steve, Joe does swing harder but lacks that heavy thump Gorman provides.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

The clips I have heard sound great. I don't know who they have on keys now but the Crowes have always had a magnet for great piano players. I love Eddie's style on the Crowes stuff he plays on (his work on Amorica's Wiser Time and Descending are totally sublime for starters) but I saw Adam MacDougall play with the Crowes and another guy who played in Rich Robinson's band, both of who were exceptional. So I have confidence this will be a great show.

I'll add this link to the Magpie Salute thread too... This was from a few nights ago. Not the best recording but the overall idea is impressive.
https://jam.buzz/magpie-saulte-gramercy-ny-1-22-2017/