New Black Angels (Currency)

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

angelsighs
Known user

New Black Angels (Currency)

Post by angelsighs »

and it's a corker. best song I've heard from them in a while. new album out in April.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qryaZmxdK1A
Bon Ronham
Known user

Re: New Black Angels (Currency)

Post by Bon Ronham »

Oh yeah, mega tune.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

yep I think it's excellent. a return to the meatier sound of the first two albums, it rocks. The bit where the riff turns around could almost be considered Zeppelinesque!
The bits i'd heard from the last two records didn't float my boat at all so it's good to hear them back on form.

they are touring the US with A Place to Bury Strangers, a pretty good pairing that. here's hoping for some UK dates in due course.
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

Yep, been loving this one since it came out and it got me playing the first two albums again, which is always a good thing. I do love them when they play like this but one of my favourite songs of theirs is I'd Rather Be Lonely, just a beautiful little song. Got me through a tough period when that came out.
Gigs all look US based so far but hoping they visit the UK at some point this year.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Really like too. Looking forward to the new album.
Design.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

johnnyboy wrote:Yep, been loving this one since it came out and it got me playing the first two albums again, which is always a good thing. I do love them when they play like this but one of my favourite songs of theirs is I'd Rather Be Lonely, just a beautiful little song. Got me through a tough period when that came out.
yeah, ditto! had the first two albums on over the weekend.
will have to check out that song you mention.
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

angelsighs wrote:
johnnyboy wrote:Yep, been loving this one since it came out and it got me playing the first two albums again, which is always a good thing. I do love them when they play like this but one of my favourite songs of theirs is I'd Rather Be Lonely, just a beautiful little song. Got me through a tough period when that came out.
yeah, ditto! had the first two albums on over the weekend.
will have to check out that song you mention.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1z13iqZgsg I picked up the 7" on Record Store Day four years ago, dead beat and broken the afternoon after 'celebrating' my 40th. I was in tatters for many reasons in life beyond a night of debauchery and this little 7" kind of saved me a bit.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

MUSIC SAVES...

yeah that's actually pretty good .. Black Angels doing Spector? :)

found this great live set on youtube.. mostly stuff from the last two (subpar IMO) albums, but damn they are sounding good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_bE3QII8qk&t=1010s
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Been listening to this one most of the week and I`m not really feeling it, never a big fan really but I do like quite a bit of them, kinda BRMC bluesy/biker vibe, I did like the poppier feel of the last two albums more than the earlier stuff if I`m honest.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

It's a bit Black Angels-by-numbers.
Sounds like a mid-album filler rather than a lead-off single. I preferred 'Don't Play With Guns'.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

another new tune. I like it, but not as much as 'Currency'. it's remisicnent of the poppier numbers from the last couple of records.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSB3ur1c5vE
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

UK dates around the psych fest

September
22nd – London, O2 Forum
25th – Glasgow, SWG3 TV Studio
26th – Birmingham, O2 Institute 2
27th – Bristol, Trinity
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Glasgow will be a definite for me. The light show sounds exciting too!
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

Just got a pair of tickets for the London show courtesy of O2 Priority pre-sales. I knew it'd come in handy one day! Not seen them live since the ULU in London way back in 2008.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

ooh light show tell me more?

i'm on the fence as to whether I will go to the Birmigham show. I like them a lot, but I'll be seeing them a couple of days earlier in Liverpool after all. hopefully it won't sell out anytime soon so I can make my mind up nearer the time.

found a short recent interview here

http://teamrock.com/feature/2017-03-01/ ... sychedelia
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Really enjoying the new album. It's lustre has dulled after a few listens (it's gone from 'possible album of the year' to 'very solid') but it's really consistent and it's like they've got their balls back! The only thing is it's a bit samey, would have liked a bit more variety. and I'm sure one of the songs pretty much recycles the bass and drums from 'Science Killer'!
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Really enjoying this album, never been a big fan of this crowd and the RSD/ bazooka Joe shit kinda made me go nah, but fuck it it, I quite like it , been playing it a lot and actually looking forward to seeing them live in Sept, I saw them once, 3/4 songs supporting Black Keys about 10 yr ago, before Black Keys became so popular, an played club gigs? they were a f#cking great live act . like the colour of my hair, these things change though.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

niamhm wrote:Really enjoying this album, never been a big fan of this crowd and the RSD/ bazooka Joe shit kinda made me go nah, but fuck it it, I quite like it , been playing it a lot and actually looking forward to seeing them live in Sept, I saw them once, 3/4 songs supporting Black Keys about 10 yr ago, before Black Keys became so popular, an played club gigs? they were a f#cking great live act . like the colour of my hair, these things change though.
Glad to hear it. I'm really looking forward to their set too as really enjoying the album. Hopefully they will be on form. I'm trying to avoid spoilers in terms of reports of their live shows and what songs they might play
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

A Place To Bury Strangers have been added as support for the UK dates. I'm not a huge fan but I think they are okay and should be good for something noisy to warm up

the email notification I got also lists APTBS as being added to Liverpool Psych Fest, but can't 100% trust it (it's a site called Songkick which is not always reliable)
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

if you are anything like me, fellow forumites may well enjoy this Black Angels 'rig rundown' vid which is a geeky run through of all their gear and effects pedals

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKyLXOcu83Y
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Directions To See A Ghost has been reissued on triple vinyl.. yours for £60, or £45 for the non deluxe version!! :shock:

https://www.normanrecords.com/records/9 ... ee-a-ghost

also has anyone listened to their physical version of Live at Levitation yet? I've heard a couple of bad things re: mastering, sound quality etc..
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

angelsighs wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:30 am Directions To See A Ghost has been reissued on triple vinyl.. yours for £60, or £45 for the non deluxe version!! :shock:

https://www.normanrecords.com/records/9 ... ee-a-ghost
Fucking hell. Yeah, sure would love a copy, but not at that price.
angelsighs wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:30 am also has anyone listened to their physical version of Live at Levitation yet? I've heard a couple of bad things re: mastering, sound quality etc..
Mine arrived on Saturday and i've gave it a couple of listens. Thought my ears needed cleaned as i thought side 1 sounded "off". Side 2 sounds much better. I went back to ensure it wasn't just me, and, yeah, noticeable difference between the two sides. Wasn't sure if it was due to the quality of the original recordings.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Yeah that's silly money, weird.

Thanks, I'm a bit wary now of the Live album. I guess the tracks are not all from the same show so quality may vary a bit.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Listening to it just now, its from 3 live sets over various yrs so there is a bit of variation ambience wise, but I think it kicks ass tbh and puts them in a way more sleazy and nasty/unsettling setting than any of the last 3 albums, a good thing for me.

As for the Directions To See A Ghost reissue? £45 I could just about handle but an extra £15 for coloured vinyl is taking the mick I feel, Rough Trade easily holding onto their crown as the UKs Greediest Recored Shop though coming in at an eye watering £73!!!

https://www.roughtrade.com/gb/the-black ... lp-plus-x3
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

niamhm wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:51 pm
As for the Directions To See A Ghost reissue? £45 I could just about handle but an extra £15 for coloured vinyl is taking the mick I feel, Rough Trade easily holding onto their crown as the UKs Greediest Recored Shop though coming in at an eye watering £73!!!

https://www.roughtrade.com/gb/the-black ... lp-plus-x3
jeez! :o are Rough Trade bad for this kind of thing then?
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Always dearer than everywhere else, usually 2/3 quid but they`re excelling themselves over this release, £13 dearer than most of the opposition
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

I've pretty much given up on the Black Angels these days. The last couple of things I bought by them were poor and the glow-in-the-dark Death Song LP was pretty much unplayable. I couldn't tell you when I last played one of their records.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Live KEXP session with new songs. A new album is on the way next year (once that vinyl bottleneck shifts..).
The new songs sound.. fine. Nothing amazing. A bit flat sounding, but might be something to do with the stripped down set up of the session (even Manipulation sounds a bit naff here)
I think with this band, Passover and Directions To See a Ghost are gonna be the ones I keep going back to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9hBd4MwPcA

Also totally forgot that Alex did that solo album last year. I need to listen to it again, these days we move onto the next thing so quickly!
Vancouver
Known user

Post by Vancouver »

Saw them a couple weeks ago here in Vancouver. They played all those new ones and a few more. Holding out hope the new record grabs me more than the last two.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I actually quite liked Death Song. it was solid and an obvious harking back to those first 2 classic albums right down to the sleeve, but with a couple of new ideas as well. But really it's those first two that get the regular plays.
sunray
Known user

Re: New Black Angels (Wilderness of Mirrors)

Post by sunray »

Anyone listen to the new album 'Wilderness of Mirrors'? https://blackangels.bandcamp.com/album/ ... of-mirrors

Pretty solid outing, but with 15 songs it's gonna take some time to digest. The usual tropes but with a few new sounds too.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five