New Black Angels (Currency)

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, spzretent, BzaInSpace, runcible

New Black Angels (Currency)

Postby angelsighs » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:19 pm

and it's a corker. best song I've heard from them in a while. new album out in April.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qryaZmxdK1A
angelsighs
Known user

Re: New Black Angels (Currency)

Postby Bon Ronham » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:00 am

Oh yeah, mega tune.
Bon Ronham
Known user

Postby angelsighs » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:06 am

yep I think it's excellent. a return to the meatier sound of the first two albums, it rocks. The bit where the riff turns around could almost be considered Zeppelinesque!
The bits i'd heard from the last two records didn't float my boat at all so it's good to hear them back on form.

they are touring the US with A Place to Bury Strangers, a pretty good pairing that. here's hoping for some UK dates in due course.
angelsighs
Known user

Postby johnnyboy » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:30 am

Yep, been loving this one since it came out and it got me playing the first two albums again, which is always a good thing. I do love them when they play like this but one of my favourite songs of theirs is I'd Rather Be Lonely, just a beautiful little song. Got me through a tough period when that came out.
Gigs all look US based so far but hoping they visit the UK at some point this year.
johnnyboy
Known user

Postby MODLAB » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:29 pm

Really like too. Looking forward to the new album.
Design.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Postby angelsighs » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:00 pm

johnnyboy wrote:Yep, been loving this one since it came out and it got me playing the first two albums again, which is always a good thing. I do love them when they play like this but one of my favourite songs of theirs is I'd Rather Be Lonely, just a beautiful little song. Got me through a tough period when that came out.

yeah, ditto! had the first two albums on over the weekend.
will have to check out that song you mention.
angelsighs
Known user

Postby johnnyboy » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:33 pm

angelsighs wrote:
johnnyboy wrote:Yep, been loving this one since it came out and it got me playing the first two albums again, which is always a good thing. I do love them when they play like this but one of my favourite songs of theirs is I'd Rather Be Lonely, just a beautiful little song. Got me through a tough period when that came out.

yeah, ditto! had the first two albums on over the weekend.
will have to check out that song you mention.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1z13iqZgsg I picked up the 7" on Record Store Day four years ago, dead beat and broken the afternoon after 'celebrating' my 40th. I was in tatters for many reasons in life beyond a night of debauchery and this little 7" kind of saved me a bit.
johnnyboy
Known user

Postby angelsighs » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:33 am

MUSIC SAVES...

yeah that's actually pretty good .. Black Angels doing Spector? :)

found this great live set on youtube.. mostly stuff from the last two (subpar IMO) albums, but damn they are sounding good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_bE3QII8qk&t=1010s
angelsighs
Known user

Postby niamhm » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:49 pm

Been listening to this one most of the week and I`m not really feeling it, never a big fan really but I do like quite a bit of them, kinda BRMC bluesy/biker vibe, I did like the poppier feel of the last two albums more than the earlier stuff if I`m honest.
niamhm
Known user

Postby sunray » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:58 pm

It's a bit Black Angels-by-numbers.
Sounds like a mid-album filler rather than a lead-off single. I preferred 'Don't Play With Guns'.
I'm losing my edge, but I was there...
sunray
Known user

Postby angelsighs » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:58 pm

another new tune. I like it, but not as much as 'Currency'. it's remisicnent of the poppier numbers from the last couple of records.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSB3ur1c5vE
angelsighs
Known user

Postby angelsighs » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:26 am

UK dates around the psych fest

September
22nd – London, O2 Forum
25th – Glasgow, SWG3 TV Studio
26th – Birmingham, O2 Institute 2
27th – Bristol, Trinity
angelsighs
Known user

Postby Laz69 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:02 am

Glasgow will be a definite for me. The light show sounds exciting too!
Laz69
Known user

Postby johnnyboy » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:07 pm

Just got a pair of tickets for the London show courtesy of O2 Priority pre-sales. I knew it'd come in handy one day! Not seen them live since the ULU in London way back in 2008.
johnnyboy
Known user

Postby angelsighs » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:22 pm

ooh light show tell me more?

i'm on the fence as to whether I will go to the Birmigham show. I like them a lot, but I'll be seeing them a couple of days earlier in Liverpool after all. hopefully it won't sell out anytime soon so I can make my mind up nearer the time.

found a short recent interview here

http://teamrock.com/feature/2017-03-01/ ... sychedelia
angelsighs
Known user

Postby johnnyboy » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:47 am

johnnyboy
Known user

Postby angelsighs » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:44 pm

Really enjoying the new album. It's lustre has dulled after a few listens (it's gone from 'possible album of the year' to 'very solid') but it's really consistent and it's like they've got their balls back! The only thing is it's a bit samey, would have liked a bit more variety. and I'm sure one of the songs pretty much recycles the bass and drums from 'Science Killer'!
angelsighs
Known user

Postby niamhm » Sun May 28, 2017 5:15 am

Really enjoying this album, never been a big fan of this crowd and the RSD/ bazooka Joe shit kinda made me go nah, but fuck it it, I quite like it , been playing it a lot and actually looking forward to seeing them live in Sept, I saw them once, 3/4 songs supporting Black Keys about 10 yr ago, before Black Keys became so popular, an played club gigs? they were a f#cking great live act . like the colour of my hair, these things change though.
niamhm
Known user

Postby angelsighs » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:38 pm

niamhm wrote:Really enjoying this album, never been a big fan of this crowd and the RSD/ bazooka Joe shit kinda made me go nah, but fuck it it, I quite like it , been playing it a lot and actually looking forward to seeing them live in Sept, I saw them once, 3/4 songs supporting Black Keys about 10 yr ago, before Black Keys became so popular, an played club gigs? they were a f#cking great live act . like the colour of my hair, these things change though.

Glad to hear it. I'm really looking forward to their set too as really enjoying the album. Hopefully they will be on form. I'm trying to avoid spoilers in terms of reports of their live shows and what songs they might play
angelsighs
Known user

Postby angelsighs » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:42 pm

A Place To Bury Strangers have been added as support for the UK dates. I'm not a huge fan but I think they are okay and should be good for something noisy to warm up

the email notification I got also lists APTBS as being added to Liverpool Psych Fest, but can't 100% trust it (it's a site called Songkick which is not always reliable)
angelsighs
Known user

Return to Music (Dedicated to Fuzzhead)