NEW RIDE

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, spzretent, BzaInSpace, runcible

angelsighs
Known user
Posts: 4305
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 1970 1:00 am

Re: NEW RIDE

Post by angelsighs » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:10 am

TheWarmth wrote:
angelsighs wrote:I'd agree that the reunion has played out very well all in all. The album is good but not amazing. But everything else has been played out perfectly. The live shows have often been stunning and they've been mixing up the setlists nicely (which can't be said of, say, Slowdive)
I saw Slowdive last night and it was mind-blowing. Best show I've seen by them since the reunion. They played two songs from the new album that they didn't play last time (Everyone Knows and Don't Know Why). They also did a fantastic version of Dagger.
maybe I was being a bit harsh. the Slowdive reunion has also been fantastic (and I would probably say that their new album is the better of the two, if perhaps a bit samey) but I would still say their setlists haven't been quite as rich and varied- where's all the Just For A Day stuff? whereas Ride have been mixing up and having deep cuts in there.

olan
Known user
Posts: 1680
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:42 am
Location: Liverpool

Re: NEW RIDE

Post by olan » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:50 am

angelsighs wrote:
TheWarmth wrote:
angelsighs wrote:I'd agree that the reunion has played out very well all in all. The album is good but not amazing. But everything else has been played out perfectly. The live shows have often been stunning and they've been mixing up the setlists nicely (which can't be said of, say, Slowdive)
I saw Slowdive last night and it was mind-blowing. Best show I've seen by them since the reunion. They played two songs from the new album that they didn't play last time (Everyone Knows and Don't Know Why). They also did a fantastic version of Dagger.
maybe I was being a bit harsh. the Slowdive reunion has also been fantastic (and I would probably say that their new album is the better of the two, if perhaps a bit samey) but I would still say their setlists haven't been quite as rich and varied- where's all the Just For A Day stuff? whereas Ride have been mixing up and having deep cuts in there.
Ride have a history of turning their setlist over regularly and often played unreleased material the first time around. On the other hand I first saw Slowdive in 1991 in Reading where they played a 7 song set. By 1993 and two LPs and a bunch of singles later they were still playing 5 out of those 7 songs in a 10 song set if my memory is not completely shot. In Liverpool just before the release of the new LP they played 8 of the tunes from the 1993 set including the 5 tunes from the 1991 set. They are great live, but more variety would be a good thing.

angelsighs
Known user
Posts: 4305
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 1970 1:00 am

Re: NEW RIDE

Post by angelsighs » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:22 pm

I'll probably only go and see Slowdive again if the set changes up a bit.
the two bands do pretty much have the same amount of back catalogue to play (Tarantula has wisely been erased from history)

playing devil's advocate, I do imagine it's trickier for Slowdive to work up new songs for the set- because of all the very specific guitar effects and the nuances around that. whereas I think Ride are more of a traditional rock band (who were only really shoegaze on the first album) who can get it tight, crank it up, and away you go

natty
Known user
Posts: 705
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 1970 1:00 am
Location: Comfortably dumb.

Re: NEW RIDE

Post by natty » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:33 pm

Aquarian-Time wrote:Woooooah they played Grasshopper in the encore last night !!!
Wowzers!

Would have loved to have heard that.

angelsighs
Known user
Posts: 4305
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 1970 1:00 am

Re: NEW RIDE

Post by angelsighs » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:58 am

Ride are playing a one off acoustic show in Worthing- 28th April.
not too far from Brighton huh Shines? ;)

Shinesalight
Known user
Posts: 2356
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2004 5:57 pm
Location: Brighton, U.K.
Contact:

Re: NEW RIDE

Post by Shinesalight » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:52 pm

angelsighs wrote:Ride are playing a one off acoustic show in Worthing- 28th April.
not too far from Brighton huh Shines? ;)
Nearer to me than Brighton in fact. :D
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone

niamhm
Known user
Posts: 1489
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:07 pm

Re: NEW RIDE

Post by niamhm » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:14 am

angelsighs wrote:Ride are playing a one off acoustic show in Worthing- 28th April.
not too far from Brighton huh Shines? ;)
I see Mercury Rev are doing some `acoustic and intimate shows` playing the whole Deserter`s Songs album as well. I must I`m underwhelmed at the idea of bands renowned for noise an volume doing these type of shows, :?

Shinesalight
Known user
Posts: 2356
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2004 5:57 pm
Location: Brighton, U.K.
Contact:

Re: NEW RIDE

Post by Shinesalight » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:22 am

The Ride acoustic show is already sold out. My wife is gutted. Hopefully we can pick up a couple of tickets somewhere.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone

Laz69
Known user
Posts: 2261
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:09 am

Re: NEW RIDE

Post by Laz69 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:10 am

niamhm wrote:I see Mercury Rev are doing some `acoustic and intimate shows` playing the whole Deserter`s Songs album as well. I must I`m underwhelmed at the idea of bands renowned for noise an volume doing these type of shows, :?
#bringbackDavidBaker

:D

Aquarian-Time
Known user
Posts: 583
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:22 am

Re: NEW RIDE

Post by Aquarian-Time » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:35 am

I only latched onto The Rev when they first released Deserters Songs, would loved to have heard/seen some of the early incarnations chaos.
That said Deserters Songs would work well in such intimate surroundings, a lovely record it has to be said.
They have produced great moments on all subsequent records but never for a full album, too much filler
Live shows usually remain excellent though

angelsighs
Known user
Posts: 4305
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 1970 1:00 am

Re: NEW RIDE

Post by angelsighs » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:18 pm

Shinesalight wrote:
angelsighs wrote:Ride are playing a one off acoustic show in Worthing- 28th April.
not too far from Brighton huh Shines? ;)
Nearer to me than Brighton in fact. :D
lucky you :)
with Pete Fij & Terry Bickers as support too!

on the subject of noisy bands unplugging- I think it can work quite well and show that they have solid songs underneath all the layers. I must say that it's probably good as a novelty for Ride, but such a big part of their sound is all the distortion and Loz's superb drumming- I wouldn't want them to make a habit of it!

TheWarmth
Known user
Posts: 3887
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 1970 1:00 am
Location: Chicago, IL
Contact:

Re: NEW RIDE

Post by TheWarmth » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:44 pm

I really like this new EP. Cold Water People is great. The falsetto vocal on Keep It Surreal is a little strange and unexpected, but it works.

angelsighs
Known user
Posts: 4305
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 1970 1:00 am

Re: NEW RIDE

Post by angelsighs » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:02 pm

Did anybody get hold of the Ride Remix LP for RSD.. if so, any good?

TheWarmth
Known user
Posts: 3887
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 1970 1:00 am
Location: Chicago, IL
Contact:

Re: NEW RIDE

Post by TheWarmth » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:26 pm

angelsighs wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:02 pm
Did anybody get hold of the Ride Remix LP for RSD.. if so, any good?
I should have it in hand within a day or two. I'll report back. I did hear the Cavern of Anti-Matter remix ("Lateral Alice," I think) and liked that.

TheWarmth
Known user
Posts: 3887
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 1970 1:00 am
Location: Chicago, IL
Contact:

Re: NEW RIDE

Post by TheWarmth » Sun May 06, 2018 12:01 am

The remix album is great. I really dig it. If you can score a copy for under $30, go for it. There's an amazing remix of "Cali" by Luke Abbot. Cavern of Anti-Matter's remix of "Lateral Alice" rules. Side B is an ambient suite of "Home Is A Feeling".

Post Reply