2nd Hand Record Shop ettiquette

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

spzretent
Site Admin

2nd Hand Record Shop ettiquette

Post by spzretent »

Just had a little run in at one of my local record shops.
I moved a lot of vinyl around. If I buy things and they don't sell online w/in a given time I trade them in.
I had a nice copy of the Bee Gees Odessa double LP in the velvet sleeve. It had a sawcut. They gave me $3 in trade.
I walked in today and it is in the rare section for $50. So I called bullshit. Especially since I am in there 4 times a week. That however shouldn't matter. I told the owner who was not in the day I traded it in that it doesn't look good when things like this happen.
I am all for them making money on things I trade in. It is better for everyone. Since I was trading and not looking for cash they should give half of what they are going to sell it for. I always did when I had a shop. Unless the person came in and named their price. Then all the rules changed.
Oddly the owner's response was we'll probably wind up getting $30. I just shook my head and said I was given $3 in trade and then walked out.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
TheWarmth
Known user

Re: 2nd Hand Record Shop ettiquette

Post by TheWarmth »

That's bullshit. You got screwed. Good for you for calling the guy out. Will you keep doing business with them?
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Yes. I make a small fortune out of this shop by their refusal to check on line pricing.
I would say it is karma but it isn't.
This was bullshit.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Had this issue today in one of the more popular local indie shops.
I found an Lp I have been looking for which is out of print. The price tag said $15.95.
Excitedly I took it up to the checkout and the clerk tells me it is just over $20. Perplexed I asked how a $15.95 LP turned into a $20 record. Her response? "It is mismarked. It is $18.95". It was clear this was the original price tag and not altered or changed.
I said to her I can get this on line for $15 + shipping from the artist. I'd rather do that. Please cancel the sale.
She didn't. I then asked the manager, whom I know, why would they not honor the price marked? Otherwise their price tags are meaningless. He credited me back the difference. Supposedly. Though it hasn't turned up in my account.
I just dont get people sometimes.